C & A question regarding parents sailing without 19 year old

Our DD will not be able to sail with us this fall, due to her being in college and my DH and me spending some quality time together and some money:eek:

Now she will be 19 when we leave her in the dorm.

On that cruise we will turn Diamond.

How long does she "ride" on our coat-tails and also get to enjoy the benefits of becoming Diamond (after that cruise)?

Is there an age cut-off where they do not earn the points?

I know children are sanctioned the levels, from parents sailing----but for how long?

Ok

Thanks

Sea Ya

She will inherit the status that you were when she turned 18. However, she will only have the number of points that she has actually earned herself. So she will need to get to Diamond on her own, beginning with the number of points that she has.

It sounds like she will be Emerald since you will be turning Diamond on the next cruise. I have two kids that inherited my Emerald status and one lucky enough to inherit Diamond status.

Edited by galavant3

She will inherit the status that you were when she turned 18. However, she will only have the number of points that she has actually earned herself. So she will need to get to Diamond on her own, beginning with the number of points that she has.

It sounds like she will be Emerald since you will be turning Diamond on the next cruise. I have two kids that inherited my Emerald status and one lucky enough to inherit Diamond status.

Finally an explanation that I understand. THANK YOU.

if a parent is dia+ and their child who is 18 lives at home and has sailed only 1 time on RCL, will he or she have the dia+ status???

if a parent is dia+ and their child who is 18 lives at home and has sailed only 1 time on RCL, will he or she have the dia+ status???

Only if the child was linked to the parents before the child turned 18, and also if the parents turned D+ before the child turned 18.

Yes, the child would be D+ if their parents were D+ when the child turned 18. However, they would only have the points they had actually earned (7 if one cruise). It will take them a LONG time to get to the next level.

will he or she keep that status after they move out???

Yes, they keep the C&A level, but have only the points they earned by the cruises they took.

Edited by clarea

Yes, they keep the C&A level, but have only the points they earned by the cruises they took.

i realize RCL came up with these rules and regs. but this is a major contributing factor to the nightly dia and concierge lounges being so overcrowded. it is great that the children can enjoy mom and dad's status when they travel with them, but once they reach 18 or move out of the house permanently, they should invert back to the status that the points they actually cruised will give them. that way to get into a lounge they must earn it like everyone else.

i realize RCL came up with these rules and regs. but this is a major contributing factor to the nightly dia and concierge lounges being so overcrowded. it is great that the children can enjoy mom and dad's status when they travel with them, but once they reach 18 or move out of the house permanently, they should invert back to the status that the points they actually cruised will give them. that way to get into a lounge they must earn it like everyone else.

Exactly and it is only going to get worse. We are one cruise short of diamond and our kids have sailed on all with us so have the same points fortunately. After our next cruise we will all be diamond. My daughter is engaged, her fiancé has sailed with us once so he is gold. Once they are married he will assume her diamond status. Once they have kids, they too will be diamond. and it starts all over again.

I am sure there are others out there who have already gone through the steps above and have young kids with one cruise that are diamond. I am betting the rules change before too long.

Exactly and it is only going to get worse. We are one cruise short of diamond and our kids have sailed on all with us so have the same points fortunately. After our next cruise we will all be diamond. My daughter is engaged, her fiancé has sailed with us once so he is gold. Once they are married he will assume her diamond status. Once they have kids, they too will be diamond. and it starts all over again.

I am sure there are others out there who have already gone through the steps above and have young kids with one cruise that are diamond. I am betting the rules change before too long.

i sure RCL knows what they have created. they must step in and make everyone earns their status like you and i did. actual cruising and accruing points only for the time the individual spent on the cruise ships. no more mommy and daddy gifts................

It's funny that I just checked this week. Both of my children are listed as platinum on our coat tails ( ages 22 and 18). I was very surprised especially for the 22 yo.

Not complaining though I can see the compounding problem Royal is facing.

Kathy

I am NOT mentioning to my older daughter (24) who is Gold that her younger sister (now 20) is Emerald. It would just be another example of how life is unfair to big sister.:roll eyes:

Mom and Dad now are Diamond. Lots of folks are riding this mom's coat tails ;)

Now my next goal is to get DH to D+.

Thank you so much for explaining this.

I appreciate the simple understanding.

She's only 19, and unable to officially drink:eek:, so the diamond lounge wont dent her social life.

If she choses to cruise with us next summer:D, she can earn her own diamond status and be closer to legally drinking if she wants:eek:.

Sea Ya

i sure RCL knows what they have created. they must step in and make everyone earns their status like you and i did. actual cruising and accruing points only for the time the individual spent on the cruise ships. no more mommy and daddy gifts................

How about hubby and wifey gifts? RCI gives spouses the level of the more-travelled spouse, which also exacerbates the problem. I once had a C&A rep tell me that he gets calls from D+ cruisers looking for a Pinnacle spouse.:eek:

Other lines (Princess, for one) make each cruiser earn their status. If one spouse is Elite and the other not, then only the Elite gets Elite benefits. Yet there is still "overcrowding" at their top tier, too, from what I read on the Princess boards.

She will inherit the status that you were when she turned 18. However, she will only have the number of points that she has actually earned herself. So she will need to get to Diamond on her own, beginning with the number of points that she has..

I don't think this correct. In addition to the requirement that you must be Diamond before she turns 18, your daughter would actually need to sail with you as a Diamond member to be Diamond.

How about hubby and wifey gifts? RCI gives spouses the level of the more-travelled spouse, which also exacerbates the problem. I once had a C&A rep tell me that he gets calls from D+ cruisers looking for a Pinnacle spouse.:eek:

Other lines (Princess, for one) make each cruiser earn their status. If one spouse is Elite and the other not, then only the Elite gets Elite benefits. Yet there is still "overcrowding" at their top tier, too, from what I read on the Princess boards.

I may be wrong but I believe Pinnacle must be earned and cannot be inherited.

I don't think this correct. In addition to the requirement that you must be Diamond before she turns 18, your daughter would actually need to sail with you as a Diamond member to be Diamond.

Perhaps this is the actual policy. I don't think that this was our experience though. My son was Diamond before he sailed with us as Diamond.

But, others may have had a different experience.

No requirement to sail with parents at a certain level to get that level. The kids just need to have sailed once to become C&A members, be linked to the parents, and be under 18.

No requirement to sail with parents at a certain level to get that level. The kids just need to have sailed once to become C&A members, be linked to the parents, and be under 18.

Yes. this is the policy. You would not see this as an issue unless the parents achieve a new level and the child turns 18 without sailing with the parents. You don't see this under 18 because they grant the child the status when they sail. Although this doesn't happen often, it appears that the OP may have this situation.

Oops! I read the post again and this answered my specific question!

Thanks

Edited by DandDM