Art Auction

Hi,

We have just received an invoice from United Parcel Services in Sydney saying that we have to pay customs in regards to some art we bought on our last cruise, as this is the first time we have bought some art work we were wondering if this is the normal procedure in regards to custom fees. I would appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

We have just received an invoice from United Parcel Services in Sydney saying that we have to pay customs in regards to some art we bought on our last cruise, as this is the first time we have bought some art work we were wondering if this is the normal procedure in regards to custom fees. I would appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks in advance

if the art is coming from o/s and its worth over $1000 you could pay customs on the amount http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp#GoodswithadeclaredorassessedvalueoverA1000

You haven't mentioned which cruise/operator this is with.

I believe with RCL, they send through a local distributor so as to avoid fees to you at the end (as they would cover it). Some complain that it takes longer that way though, so what suits one doesn't suit another.

If you're with RCL you might want to contact their operator. Each operator is different though, so they may not do it this way if it was with another operator.

It would be the case that someone has to pay though, so it's correct that a charge has been incurred if the value warrants it.

Customs forms for any items sent in and out of Aust must have a value and fines can apply for false declarations. I have heard them sprouting on the ship that the art is tax free many times in very loud preambles to the auction. It is up to the buyer to be aware of their own countries legalities though.

Personally I am impressed that your item has arrived after seeing so many negative threads about art on ships not arriving. I hope you enjoy it and got such a good buy that an extra 10% would not hurt too much.

Also, be careful with opening attachments on emails about parcels, there are a lot of scams and viruses going around lately. Check out http://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/alert_service/alerts/australia_post_warns_of_more_courier_unable_to_deliver_scam_emails_sso_alert_priority_moderate#.U0EtPEOKDIU

The stay smart online website is a govt service and the alerts are often relating to postage scams.

Edited by goodycruising

• 2 months later...

Hi. Just to let you know that we have received the art work and we are very happy with them. We have had them framed at nearly three times the cost of the art and they are now on the walls. We are thoroughly enjoying them :o

Hi. Just to let you know that we have received the art work and we are very happy with them. We have had them framed at nearly three times the cost of the art and they are now on the walls. We are thoroughly enjoying them :o

I know the feeling!!

I had three paintings, painted for me and sent over from America recently (cost was under $1000 so no duty), but it's cost me 4xtimes as much to have them framed.....

I know the feeling!!

I had three paintings, painted for me and sent over from America recently (cost was under $1000 so no duty), but it's cost me 4xtimes as much to have them framed.....

Lesson for the day...

Forget about being an artist,

become a framer.:D