My Connie Review...5-nights (3.31.14)...Western Carribean

Anita Latte

Hello! Welcome to my review. I am JUST BACK from our warm, oh so loverly WARM, Spring Break vacation...which included a 5-night sailing on the Constellation...aka...Connie. Ahhh.

We are first time Celebrity cruisers. As a family, this is only our second cruise. The family is myself. I just turned 42. *Gasp* DH...a mere 41. And DS...a seventh grade 13 year old with a beard. I kid you not.

DH and I met in college and have been partying together...uh TOGETHER...MARRIED together for a long time...:p. We like vacation. A LOT. We needed a vacation and were very ready for this vacation. We were in a midship conceirge veranda cabin with a sofa bed. Cabin 8082 to be exact. We had the beverage package, which was an incentive with the booking. My parents were treating us to this vacation. And they upgraded the beverage package to the premium package.

We cruised with my Mom and Dad. They are older than us. ;) They are experienced cruisers. They have some sort of decent loyalty status, but not especially high ranking. They love Celebrity...and hoped we would too. They are still on board...as they decided to cruise back to back and switch to their beloved Aqua Class for the second sailing while we had to high tail it home to take advantage of our Sunday to decompress and prepare for the real world again...

This review is to share our vacation with all of you. I hope that in reading about our experiences...you might pick up a tid bit that would help you in your future travels. But most of all...I just want to relive my vacation.

Because we had such a lovely time.

Between this cruise and the last...there were many improvements. I feel like I did a better job cruising...if that makes sense.

I'm sorry to share that this will be a really wordy review. I inherited my Dad's camera recently and somehow, the camera had stored all his most recent photos and downloaded them to my 2GB memory card. So after too few pictures...my card was full...and well...there were ENOUGH new pictures that it was too much of a pain to contemplate the effort of having to selectively clear and deal with the memory card...

So this review will be largely down memory lane...unassisted with photos. This is a motivating factor for me to do this though. So I hope you will enjoy reading about our experiences...

Fort Lauderdale was our embarkation port.

We flew Southwest from Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale. Mom and Dad had to fly from Phoenix, Arizona...which doesn't observe daylight savings time. Point being...their travel to FLL was a much longer travel day than ours...in both real and lapsed travel time. We decided that we would all arrive on Saturday for our Monday embarkation. This allowed us one day totally dedicated to travel...and one full day to begin our vacation groove before boarding.

This is an excellent plan. Especially for a shorter sailing. It's like treating the embarkation port as a port day...it has the feeling of extending the vacation because you hit vacation mode much faster when boarding the ship.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites on 17th Street. We took a taxi from the airport. It was $15.50 for the 3 of us. Mom and Dad were arriving much later so I checked in for all of us. It is especially handy that for the purposes of joint travel, I have a signing copy of the credit card that they use for travel so that I could check us ALL in to our two rooms.

We arrived well before check in...and it was not unexpected for the rooms to not be ready. Fine. Store our large suitcases...continue to pool side with our personal bags.

We probably could have packed swimwear in a more accessible location...but we didn't. We were only supposed to wait for one hour...and we were happy to simply lounge by the pool, which is very nice. There is a major water feature in the pool area...maybe even more than one...and the sound of the water does camouflage the street noise. Also...the vegetation is lush...very tropical in feeling...so that the pool area is a nice little oasis in the midst of urbanity.

We had left our cell number with the front desk...but after we had STILL not received word that the rooms were ready...and since check in time had officially arrived...we hit the front desk. There was a mix up happening...and the end result was that we received two $25 vouchers to spend at the onsite restaurant. And finally...we were in our room.

It was time for the manager's reception...which includes complementary cocktails and some salty carbalicious snacks (chips/salsa, potato chips, popcorn). Here we began our vacation mode and waited for my parent's arrival.

I asked our table neighbors if I could have one of their chairs...for the impending arrival of said parents who had texted that they were in route in taxi (they also had the $15.50 amazingly enough)...and started talking cruises...because of course...this couple was also cruising...leaving the following day on either the Allure or the Oasis.

What is funny is that upon arrival, my parent's recognized this couple...who recognized my parents...and both couples referred to the other as the "stalkers" because they kept running into each other on the one ship that they had cruised together...whenever that was.

And we all sat together and talked and socialized...and it was like the cruise had begun already in spirit.

It seemed that the majority of guests at the Embassy were cruise passengers. The reception was busy. On this Saturday evening, it was held in the main atrium area...which is rather lovely again with a water feature and some lush plantings to create that tropical effect.

The room was chilly though...with an overcompensation in the air conditioning department. I was comfortable in my travel pants, tank top, and long sleeved pull over.

After several rounds at the reception...it was time for dinner.

With lightning starting to strike outside...we decided that it was a most excellent idea to simply use the vouchers at the restaurant onsite that night. My parent's recalled that the burgers there were most excellent...and all 5 of us ordered burgers. Which we all thoroughly enjoyed. The restaurant is also located in that atrium area...with dimmer lighting...the sound of water...only a few guests eating at the restaurant at this time...we had a wonderful family meal.

We went to bed with plans to meet at breakfast...whenever we woke up.

We didn't set alarms...which really is the best way to start vacation...

The weekend complementary breakfast at the Embassy is served from 7 until 10 in the morning. We woke at a decent time...the family showered and prepared for the day. We emerged before 9 am and thought we were doing well.

Our room was on floor 9. We faced the port, so we could see all the cruise ships in port that day. There were several. There is something heart warming about seeing cruise ships in port when you KNOW that you WILL be on one soon. It's a great way to start the day!

I could see Mom talking to the husband from "stalker couple" below. Dad was still preparing for the day...but we proceeded with breakfast.

The line was long. Very, very long. It felt slightly unorganized because there wasn't a distinction between those that wanted to be served from the ready-made breakfast buffet items...and those that wanted made to order breakfast. There was one big long line that wrapped around and around and down there past the elevators...

There is a Fellowship that was meeting in one of the conference rooms...so some seriously upbeat Gospel music was seeping through the closed doors. I decided to be grateful that I was standing in a line where I would be served food that I didn't prepare on dishes that I didn't have to clean...

The line moved right along...

I thought it was odd that I couldn't serve myself from the "buffet." My experience in other Embassy locations (and I have stayed in many all throughout the southern and western states...) is that you can serve yourself from these offerings. Not so in Fort Lauderdale on 17th street...

I thought I could deal with the premade scrambled eggs...

But there are what my DS refers to as "hotel eggs."

You see, I'm in the process of teaching DS13 how to cook...because I cook...and I'm told I cook tasty food...and I refuse to send my DS off into the world lacking the ability to cook. So we started the lessons with the relatively simple scrambled egg. Because eggs are so versatile...it's a good thing to learn how to cook...in many ways...and DS loves a breakfast sandwich. Scrambled eggs placed with sliced cheese between two slices of bread...toasted in the toaster oven. If you are lucky...there is a slice of ham or bacon to also add to the mix...

One day...DS was cooking the eggs in a pan that wasn't quite hot enough...and he learned how eggs get that wet, under done aspect that is not so pleasing...and he told me that he figured out how hotel eggs are cooked. Too many eggs in a pan not quite hot enough...:rolleyes:

I had to move along to the made to order eggs...

And then I was a happy camper...

Or rather...a happy egg eater...

The selection at Embassy is varied. Hot. Cold. Carbs. Protein. Everything is pretty good.

Except the coffee.

Which is especially bad for me because I don't like coffee. I like coffee FLAVORED drinks.

There is a Starbucks within walking distance of Embassy. Head towards the bridge on the main road. It's on the opposite side of the road from Embassy about a block or two away. It isn't a great Starbucks. Tiny interior. Not many places to sit at all. Inside or out.

With my triple venti non-fat cinnamon dolce latte with light whip in hand...and the family all with their own caffeinated chemical concoctions in possession...we crossed over to the outside dining of the market seafood eatery that hadn't opened yet in the strip mall next door to Starbucks. We were in the shade. We were happy. We enjoyed our drinks, our conversation, and leisurely eased ourselves into the day.

The weather was warm. So invitingly warm. It's been a cold winter and my family is heartily sick of it. I honestly had a hard time packing summer-like clothing because I couldn't wrap my head around the concept of not wearing layers upon layers and socks and slippers.

Regardless...I was wearing comfortable sandals with a maxi skirt for shade and breeze. Short sleeves to cover my shoulders. And a fun flirty, gauzy scarf that I could manipulate for skin coverage as needed.

I was very bummed that I had forgotten to pack my sun hat. :( I would definitely make a priority of packing this handy hat for future vacations...which I normally do, but I think the cold weather at home exerted too much influence on the packing...

The time was somewhere in the late morning...

My family has never been to Fort Lauderdale before and had no preconceived notions of the city. Mom and Dad had been before and said that it was fun to just ride the water taxis around and get on and off...

Okay.

So we continued walking toward the aforementioned bridge. And over this bridge...admiring the view all the way. And wove our way around to what we would discover is called stop 6 for the river taxis. You can pay on board the taxi...even with plastic. The taxis run in two directions...upward and downward. You either go UP in numbers for the stops...or DOWN.

I don't know why I was supposed to decide where we wanted to go and see.

I didn't know.

We hopped on the first taxi that showed up. I must admit that I was almost surprised a taxi did show because the hotel/marine area at stop 6 is all under construction...access is very strange. We were the only people there. For a brief moment...I thought my parents must surely be mistaken in this whole water taxi idea...

We headed UP in a single level water taxi with a very entertaining captain...

While they aren't a tour, per se, they have made it a point to get to know a bit about everything you can see while riding the water taxi. The yachts. OMG. The mansions. If you like to look at luxurious things that you will likely never own nor reside within or upon...it's HIGHLY entertaining.

The breeze of the sea. The beautiful water. (Which is NOTHING like the Galveston Bay which is my MOST recent water experience...) The warm weather. Sitting on water taxi...under the canopy...warm but in the shade?

We rode up to number 9...which is a transfer stop. And we were hungry...so we stayed on board and road on down to stop 4...which is the 15th Street Fishery.

Where we ate lunch...

And this deserves it's very own post...

In the interest of being helpful...here's a link to the map that shows the water taxi stops:

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/maps-stops-hollywood/

I refuse to be a spoiler in my review. Half of the fun of vacation is the element of discovery... I WILL share that if you have ever experienced the Jungle Cruise at Disney...then you will have an inkling of the corny humor that will occasionally rear it's head during the commentary you hear while cruising along in your water taxi... If you are lucky...

Not constant. Just enough.

And like all things in life...people make the difference...some water taxi captains were more entertaining than others...

A.L.,

Thanks for posting. :)

Hello! I LOVE your user name!

We just moved the summer before last from Houston. We were in Cypress for several years and then down in Clear Lake area for a couple. I miss Texas a lot...I must say.

Hello! I LOVE your user name!

We just moved the summer before last from Houston. We were in Cypress for several years and then down in Clear Lake area for a couple. I miss Texas a lot...I must say.

Thanks for the nice comments. We live near Cypress now, FM 1960 and Eldridge area. :)

Thank you for your review. You're off to a great start. We leave on the Connie two weeks from today so I'm looking forward to all of your commentary about the ship, staff etc. Subscribed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Again...because I'm so helpful:

http://www.15streetfisheries.com/

This was where we ate our lunch. Stop 4.

So you literally stop at the restaurant. You get off the taxi and you are right there. It's the kind of situation where you have to weave your way through the dockside area of the restaurant...enter close to the bar and head to the front to request seating.

For lunch...the choice is inside or outside.

Is there really a choice?

On such a gorgeous day?!?!

They take your cell phone number. And supposedly they text you when your table is ready.

After enlisting for outside lunch...we used the facilities...we admired the fish tank...we learned all about lion fish...we studied the craft brew offerings...

And we were tracked down by the hostess in relatively short order because we weren't receiving her texts regarding the availability of our table!

We are STILL waiting on those texts...:rolleyes:.

We were dockside. At a bar height table overlooking the area where you can dock your private boat and/or feed the fish.

How lovely it would be to be able to cruise up and down the coast...docking wherever you were so inclined...eating...shopping...enjoying...oh wait! For my part...that's called a water taxi! ;)

Rock on...and I can enjoy an adult libation without the responsibility of driving a boat as described.

We chose the Florida Keys Sunset Ale.

Super tasty.

And we learned how terminology changes by locale and circumstance. Back in the day...when the keg was empty...it FLOATED. The ice was melted...and the poor, sad, empty keg would bob in the plastic garbage can. For the life of me...I can't remember the new term! and Mr. Google doesn't seem to know either...but regardless...the keg was aired? was shot? IDK! but it was all gone and needed to be replaced...so bar service was a bit slow...with good reason.

But there was plenty for visual entertainment...

Including Mr. Grandpa. There are frozen fish of some sort sold for the purposes of feeding the fish. It's entertaining enough to watch children of all ages touch and otherwise find means of getting the fish from the bag to the water for the fish... Mr. Grandpa decided to hold one such fish between his toes and hang them over the water to see what would happen...

I could only picture the viral YouTube seconds with the potential of the situation...

Because nothing happened. He couldn't keep the fish between his toes...

You'd think there would have been a variety of dishes consumed at our table of 5...

Oh no. We all ordered Joe's Sizzler Skillet. Three house salad sides with house dressing. Two plantain chip sides.

5 clean plates! Need I say more?

For dinner...you could also select to eat in the fine eatery UPSTAIRS. This is dinner only. It must be good. The family enlisting before us at lunch were also making dinner reservations for later that evening.

With happy tummies...we headed back to the taxi stop. There is a schedule posted at each stop. The schedule is listed to the minute...so you have a clue how long you must wait for the taxi. There's a bait shop there with the restaurant...which we explored with the time on hand.

Here you can purchase the aforementioned frozen fish...and why I now know that fish was frozen. In addition to some sun related necessities...you can just stand in awe at the size of the hooks and lures used in salt water fishing.

A double decker water taxi soon arrived and we headed DOWN...

Thanks for the nice comments. We live near Cypress now, FM 1960 and Eldridge area. :)

Ahh...so close! We are actually, just now, in contract with our house in Fairfield. It's been rented for 3.5 years...from when we moved down to Clear Lake. We've been fortunate in that the same family rented our house for all that time...and the market has recovered so that we could sell it. As sad as that is!

Thank you for your review. You're off to a great start. We leave on the Connie two weeks from today so I'm looking forward to all of your commentary about the ship, staff etc. Subscribed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Connie is a sweet little ship. We had great interaction with the crew. Look forward to a great time!

Thanks for sharing the water taxi - I was wondering what my wife and I could do to pass the time before we board, now I know :) Beats getting to the pier at 10 just to sit around for 2 hours.

For this particular double decker water taxi...the upper deck was in full sun. There didn't appear to be a standard water taxi configuration...some double deckers had shade...ours didn't.

In the distance, we could see the bridge that we had crossed earlier in the day. It's a draw bridge and we saw it raised multiple times. The water taxi captain informed us that it is raised at regular intervals...either on the hour, half hour, or both.

We were informed that Stop 3...the Las Olas shopping area...was the furthest down that the double decker taxis could sail. Only the smaller taxis could sail all the way to Stop 1.

Stop 3 is an obscure little piece of river front property that appears more like an undeveloped lot than a water taxi stop.

We walked a few blocks to Las Olas Blvd where there is shopping, restaurants, bars, art galleries...all the things that you would expect to find in such a place. It's more like Old Town shopping than mall shopping. Individual buildings are stores...the street is appealing in it's own way. I think I saw signs that there was trolley service in the area.

An art gallery caught our eye. Within, there was an amazing guitar...made from some specialty wood that grows only in Hawaii...it was an electric acoustic guitar...the back was one solid piece of wood (this is extremely unusual)...the front face of the guitar had been painted in a brilliant ocean sunset scene. DS plays guitar and was actually able to play on this guitar...

And the sales pitch began...

Of course...

With half an ear to the pitch, I glanced over at the price tag of the guitar...$5150.00...

If we bought one of the paintings, we could get that guitar for "free"...

OMG.

How much were the paintings? Over $30K...

Moving on...

There is a combination of specialty shops and chain shops all along this area.

Most businesses advertise that the facilities within are for customers only. Within a few blocks of Stop 3 is a tall green building. It is the Riverfront Inn...this is where we made use of the facilities. We had made our way around to the main entrance, but there is a very small store front sized and more unobtrusive entrance along the main drag.

You can leave this street and walk back toward the river...and you will be walking along the Riverfront. The river feels more canal like here, with yachts docked on either side like parallel parked cars...and a narrower middle section for water traffic.

Here are many tall residential buildings. We learned later that the water taxis refer to this area as Condo Canyon. There is a wide meandering sidewalk along the river front where local residents and fewer tourists enjoy the afternoon. It felt like it was an unofficial dog walking hour.

Beyond Condo Canyon is more public entertainment. We paused at the Briny Riverfront Pub. The live entertainment was a solo guitarist/singer. His volume was so loud...you couldn't really have a conversation. We didn't appreciate the cigar smoke... In analyzing the time...we knew that the manager's reception would soon be underway if we just made our way back to the Embassy...so we did.

This was the longest wait we experienced for the water taxi. I think every other taxi must be the single deck that could access Stop 1...because the times listed were about every 30 minutes instead of the more regular 15 at the other stops.

We decided to disembark at Stop 5 and skip walking over the bridge.

We stopped in the Walgreens along the way to pick up a necessary toiletry item that we had forgotten to pack.

And soon we were poolside at Embassy...with adult libation and more interesting snacks. Hummus and pita chips and goldfish crackers had been added to the offerings. The reception was held in the onsite bar this evening... You could sit inside or outside by the pool...

Now we knew of another family that was sailing on the Connie with us. DH and I had met the Dad while we were chaperoning an event in Georgia for middle school band members called Midfest at the University of Georgia in Athens. We had a great time at Midfest getting to know this Dad a bit better...and it turns out that their family had sailed Connie during Spring Break the year before. And loved it...

It had been a spur of the moment...last minute decision to go last year. He had literally been on the phone with Celebrity AND the airlines, at the same time, to see if he could even use his points to get his family to FLL to sail on the cruise. He had booked it with 2 days notice...

And got a great deal...in a family veranda for his family of 5.

If he could work a similar last minute deal again...he was going to sail this cruise again.

Now we knew that they had made the deal...but we didn't know that they were staying at the Embassy the night before embarkation...until we saw them at the manager's reception.

Which is just too fun.

Again...another unplanned, unexpected social event.

After cocktails, they were headed off to seafood for dinner...which we weren't jazzed about because we had seafood for lunch...

We might run into each other at the pool after dinner...

We walked across the street to the Outback Steakhouse. We sat outside at one of only 6 somewhat sad looking tables that line the front of the restaurant. The overcompensation on the air conditioning was just too much...and we wanted to enjoy our meal.

After dinner, Mom and Dad hit their room...my family changed for the pool. We had missed the other family...but we met a lady that was a chaperone for several 14 and 15 year olds that were visiting from the Ukraine. This was a fascinating conversation to have in light of current events.

Soon...it was time for bed.

We had to set the alarm to be sure to not miss breakfast which was served from 6 to 9 am on weekdays.

Breakfast at Embassy on this particular Monday wasn't nearly as crowded as the weekend.

We debated the walk to Starbucks and decided to just wait until we were a board Connie to seek out lattes. We had the premium beverage package...it seemed silly to pay for something that would soon be "included".

We were packed and ready to go.

We packed well. My family had 3 checked bags and 3 very reasonable personal items. Each of my men had string backpack style bags and I had my large zipper topped tote. One checked bag is gynormous. The bag itself weighs 14 pounds. We put our home scale through it's paces when we packed it...the airport scale said it weighed 49.5 pounds! Woot woot!! The other 2 bags could be carry ons if there weren't expanded...which they weren't.

We tried to put everything that we needed for our Fort Lauderdale days into one of those smaller bags. I hadn't thought about swimwear though...but fortunately, this was easy to locate and even more important, easy to extract from it's packing location. I would include swimwear in the precruise bag in the future.

The one thing I forgot to bring was our luggage tags. Mom and Dad had extra tags and they were in the cabin next door...so Mom and Dad looked like hoarders and we looked like we would be naked. :p

Mom had read that taking a taxi to the port was easy. We were informed that there was no way to guarantee that we would have a taxi that would accommodate our party of 5...and we might have to take two taxis. OR we could take the shuttle that Embassy had available (I think it was a contract service) for $8 a person.

We took the shuttle.

We later learned that our friend family of 5 also took the shuttle...but they only paid $5 a person. Hmmmmm.

Anyway...

We pulled up to relatively empty port. My only other experience in memory was Galveston two years ago. That port is insane...

This port was basically empty by comparison.

We were dropped off right in front of the ship. There are porters all over...ready to leap forward and take control of your luggage as it is unloaded from your shuttle. You walk away from Connie over to the building to check in. It's a great picture moment from the front of the building. Connie is right there...but distant enough so that you can stand there with her name clearly visible and all of her glory filling the available background of your photo op.

The line forms down the then shady side of the building and out into the sun in front of the building.

It was 10:23 am when we entered the line.

Which moved right along.

Inside, thanks to my parents' loyalty status...we entered a slightly shorter line. Check in was a breeze.

Sea Pass in hand...enter another line to take the photo associated with your Sea Pass card. No...you will not know when they take that photo...and you will never really see it.

Sea Pass in hand...enter another line for the boarding photo op...

Or skip this photo op and head onto the ship...

Connie had been cleared and there was no wait to board.

You can hear the beat of the party music before you even board.

The vibe of the ship is that of Vacation...or should I say VACATION.

The crew is smiling and encouraging passengers to enter...have a complementary glass of champagne or a mimosa.

Now I LOVE Zumba. I am a Zumba instructor. I love that Latin beat. Mom loves Zumba. And because of this love for Zumba...the whole family has an appreciation for Latin music. We were all thrilled that a Pitbull song was playing. We danced along with our champagne. We had a toast.

I've read many complaints about the volume of the music on recent sailings. The music was loud. No kidding. For my part...it felt infectious. It was enthusiastic. It was energizing music. It was PARTY music...not necessarily relaxing vacation music.

It didn't encourage you to hang out where you board...it was loud enough to make you feel like moving right along and finding the next thing.

You enter on deck 3.

There is information around...I was only interested in the info related to the teen activities. After grabbing that paperwork...we headed up.

It was the first of much stair climbing...

Up to deck 5...to the local that we dubbed "Latte Land." It's a beautiful place to sit and enjoy a cup of espresso based coffee. They don't actually serve coffee here. This works for me...because I don't drink coffee...only coffee flavored drinks.

Not everything that would be available was yet available. I had the choice of only 3 flavors...one was sugar-free. I chose hazelnut.

It was excellent.

This locale is more geared toward couples. There are several pairs of oversized, high-backed, cushy, yellow chairs. There is also a continuous bench with less inviting, but still padded, more diner like chairs that establishes the space. The cushy seating had already been largely claimed...but we found space along the bench.

All along this deck though...there is seating. Varying groupings all around.

My first impression is that I'm going to like this ship more than the Mariner of the Seas. This ship is going to remind me more of my first cruise experience on the Sovereign of the Seas, 22 years ago.

If you can call it a lobby...or an atrium...or whatever you want in the middle of the ship...on the Connie, there are 3 decks that share this air space. Each of these decks in this area has a view to the outside of the ship. There is an almost seamless window view available on each deck on each side. You can easy sit and enjoy the ocean view. I recall the Sovereign being the same way.

This is in direct contrast to the Mariner of the Seas...which felt focused more toward the interior of the ship in their promenade area.

I prefer the ocean view to the promenade view.

We didn't wait long for a server to approach. She was extremely pleasant and friendly. I could joke and say she became our new BFF...which wouldn't be far from the truth. We saw her every morning of our vacation. We smiled at her. She smiled at us. We greeted each other. She knew our preferred beverages after only two visits with her.

There were two servers for the area. There seemed to be at least one additional server at the counter. The servers were not only servers. They were also the barristas. They would take your order, go make your order, and bring you your order. They would service several tables at one time. Your wait for service would depend on how many other people were present...obviously...and how well your timing was synced to their timing of working the room.

I learned this through observation over the course of the week. We were quickly served this morning...and soon were drinking our beloved lattes from distinctive ceramic cups...with a cute little biscotti bite served on the saucer. It felt like an upgrade to the typical cardboard cup with plastic lid...I must say. I enjoy just looking at the pattern of the foam and coffee before taking that first hot sip.

As with everything...here your server makes a difference. There was only one time when my latte was less than scalding hot. I believe that someone else must have made the drinks for our lady. I know our lady would preheat the cups...and this one time...they weren't preheated. I'm not complaining...just sharing observation...there is skill in service.

Fortified with caffeine...it was time to explore the ship...

I hit the coffee counter before we left to explore. I asked for a large bottled water. It was only because I had read these boards that I could understand that the server was asking if I wanted Evian or the other brand of spring water. I couldn't hear him clearly...nor was my ear tuned to his accent. I said Evian...which was included in our premium beverage package.

Our early exploration of the ship was hindered in different areas. IIRC, the dailies said that things would be open beginning at 1 pm for touring. When we tried to see the fitness and spa area of the ship...it was closed off at the fire stop doors for sanitation.

The teen area wasn't really open yet.

The pools were already busy.

I had seen several passengers board wearing their swimwear and cover ups. These passengers were already in full vacation mode. Lounging. Swimming. Eating. Drinking.

Each lounge chair had a rolled up towel on it. I was thrilled to learn that you don't have to check out towels with your Sea Pass card. It makes complete sense that you can just get towels as needed and return them as needed. However, on the Mariner, you did have to check out towels at the towel desk and you had to be sure to return them so that they would also be deducted from your account...it was such a pain. But you could be charged if your account was showing that towels were checked out on it...

We decided to eat at the Bistro on 5 for lunch. There is a small surcharge to eat here.

Two years ago...we ate at the buffet for our embarkation lunch. There was nothing to complain about but by the very nature of the buffet...it wasn't a family meal. It was a meal in shifts and we opted to sit together and be served for our first on board meal.

Bistro on 5 opened at 12 noon or 12:30. We arrived at opening.

For my observation...there was only one table designed to seat 6 guests. This table had 6 chairs, 3 per side, and was a large rectangular table. It was the largest table in the restaurant. This is where we were seated.

I noted that there were other fun tables with a sofa for seating on one side and two chairs on the other. A family of 5 with three young ladies was seated near us. The three ladies could easily share the sofa seating, but more than two adults would be a little too cozy for comfort. The table size was a typical 4 top. There were also larger round tables that were set for 4 but could accommodate at least 5. But not each table would because of the need to keep a clear traffic pattern for service.

Some people were a bit put out by the lay out of the restaurant. There was a large group of several families and couples that had obviously booked together under a woman that may or may not have been a professional...but was clearly experienced. They must have planned this restaurant meal as their meet and greet location because they were meeting and greeting as if they didn't really know each other. And some were a bit disappointed in the way the restaurant was able to accommodate their extensive group...as they were scattered throughout the small room and not necessarily next to each other.

It's odd to me what can ruffle people's feathers...

I mention all of this to help anyone who might choose to dine here with a larger party like ourselves. Plan to arrive earlier than later. It didn't take long for all the tables to be occupied.

Our server was Arwin from the Phillipines. Nice man. We found that more than anything...more than extra bills or tips in addition to the automatic gratuity...if you had friendly interaction with your server. If you acknowledged that another human was serving you...if you smiled and didn't have forced small talk but whatever talk seemed natural...then your server was simply a happier server. Arwin was no exception to this.

I had eaten a light breakfast in anticipation of this lunch. Fruit and eggs only. No starch or other carbs. So I was ready for these delicious crepes.

We each ordered two crepes each. These were served to us in courses. I think I expected two crepes on one plate...not so...everyone received the crepe they ordered first as a kind of first course. The second ordered crepe for the second course.

Let the feasting begin!

The crepes can be customized. You can mix and match any dressing to any crepe if you desire. Our table ordered the Cowboy, the Mediterranean, the Hot and Spicy, the Sweet and Sour, the Buffalo, the Mexicano, and the Spanish.

OMG.

YUM.

I'm not a big sweet eater. I prefer savory...or salty. Mom, Dad, DS, and I each ordered two savories. DH committed early to one savory and one sweet. DS saw the sweet and had to have it too. He finished 3 crepes. :eek: Mom was reaching her limit during the second and just ate the filling...

The crepe portions are not small. Be hungry if you order more than one.

The only open portion of the kitchen is a counter kitchen were you might be able to see the crepes being made. That is...just the crepe. You can admire the skill of the chef as they flip these thin wonders.

I highly recommend Bistro on 5. For this short cruise, we only ate here the one time. The service and the food was excellent.

While we were enjoying lunch...the availability of the cabins was announced. We decided to venture in that direction after lunch.

Our cabin was a concierge cabin.

I was fairly ignorant of how a concierge cabin differed from a non-concierge cabin. I'll remind everyone that my very generous parents were taking my family on this vacation with them. Thus...I was not privy to certain aspects of booking...including cabin selection and how or why someone might choose one cabin over another.

Our cabin was a mid ship cabin with a veranda.

The sofa bed was on the balcony side of the cabin. I would say that this is preferable to the sofa bed on the bathroom side of the cabin because the cabin is just not that wide...and the actual bed was easier on the shins than the sofa would be for trying to maneuver the available space when the sofa bed was pulled out. When the sofa bed is pulled out...there is literally a small narrow path around the normal bed in available floor space.

There is no path between the sofa bed and the desk area for getting out to the balcony. You can barely fit your leg between that sofa bed and the desk...the glass table is moved to the side and takes up most of the available floor space between the sofa bed and the glass doors. You have to be somewhat agile to navigate the cabin when that sofa bed is made.

That said...I believe the sofa bed was an improvement over the pullman bed that we had on the Mariner. I preferred to not have DS sleeping over my head...and DS preferred to not have to deal with the ladder to get in and out of bed.

The sofa bed was comfortable enough for a short cruise...but I would question how comfortable this arrangement would be for a longer cruise. I'm not sure what other options would be available...but I will be researching this.

I cannot even imagine how the layout for this cabin compares when you lose the extra square footage of the concierge cabin. From photos I see, I think the sofa bed is narrower...so I think that the effect on the floorspace is the same, just with the smaller sofa bed size.

All that said...

The cabin had the feeling of a little jewelry box. The mirrors. The shiny surfaces. The cleanliness of it all. The burgundy and gold and white fabrics. I loved the look of it.

We didn't unpack at this point...but later...when we did unpack...there was room enough for all our belongings. We did need to strategically double up on a few hangers. There were nooks and crannies everywhere. Plenty of available space throughout the cabin. Even our big bruiser of a suitcase could be forced under the bed for storage.

I did miss a privacy curtain. When I sailed years ago on the Sovereign of the Seas...there was a curtain that could be drawn across the middle of the cabin that would effectively separate the sofa bed area from the bed area. Finding privacy with some space for changing was more challenging in this cabin.

DS and I would either take turns in the cabin...OR we figured out that if you opened the bathroom door and the far closet door...together they formed a fairly good screen for creating a changing room.

DH had heard our family friends talk about swimming earlier than later...and keeping their swimwear with them and not packed into their luggage. Thus, we also thought to keep our swimwear on our persons...and changed in the cabin and headed to the pool.

The pool was crowded. Still...we were able to find 5 chairs together in the shade on the pool level decking.

The pool was cold. OMG. It was one of those you must just GET IN kind of situations...and once you were in...it was refreshing.

These are not swimming pools though. They are dunk in and get refreshed...and perhaps find a space to sit in the water...and dangle your feet in the water kind of pools.

The hot tubs were hot. They did not skimp on the heat just because you were in warm weather.

The pool deck was HOT. Burn the bottoms of your feet hot. You had to know where you were going and wet your feet along the way...or walk in shade...or wear water shoes...or wear your flips flops and leave them at the stairs. HOT pool deck.

We didn't wait for bar service.

OH. I forgot to mention that we did enjoy some adult libation with lunch. Mom and Dad had a glass of Pinot Noir (Kendal Jackson), DH had a Samuel Adams, and I had a Heinekin. It's worth mentioning because not every venue carries every wine available on board.

There are at least two portable like drink carts where bottled drinks are served poolside.

If you want a mixed drink or any sort...you need to go to the poolside bar. The poolside bar felt very unorganized. At times...there would be lines that would form with "walk ups"...and there would also be people just trying to get the attention of the bartenders all around the bar. I felt like it was hard to get any bartender's attention. They were all very busy...none idle...but the lack of any organized service because there were walk ups and people seated at the bar meant that it was completely at the bartender's discretion at to whether or not you were going served sooner or later. I suppose this is normal for any bar...but it's been a while since I've been to a bar honestly.

This situation meant that I was more and more inclined to drink bottled beer when drinking poolside...because I could easily see the status of the portable bars and hit it when there was little wait. This was very easy to do...and certainly not a hardship.

We were approached by service. But this didn't feel reliable...it felt more hit and miss. The pool decks were very busy. Our weather was spectacular...and everyone took advantage and enjoyed. I can't count the number of times that I heard about the long, unusually cold winter weather everywhere. Spirits were high on the pool deck. Overall...I didn't see any of the behavior that was offensive on some earlier sailings that were more populated with college-aged spring breakers.

We say our family friends poolside. They reported that they were told there were 200 children on board...90 of which were teenagers.

They weren't all in the pools and hot tubs at the same time. But there were many, many children in the pools. They tended to stay on the side with the 4 foot depth pool...the deeper pool seemed to be the more adult hang out.

The Latin Trio had been playing poolside. GREAT music. Like I said...I think the Latin sound is very festive...it was very appropriate to me. A DJ took over at some point. I enjoyed this less.

Dad left to see if the luggage had been delivered. It had. I was ready for a break from the pool situation so I opted to do the unpacking at this point. Dad decided to do the same. I think every family has a designated chief packer and unpacker. This would be Dad and myself.

My Mom and my men stayed a bit longer. They were socializing with our family friends.

I met our attendant, Moreno. He seemed friendly and explained a bit about what we could expect in terms of service. Fresh fruit. Fresh flowers. Afternoon snicky snacks.

DH and DS joined me before long. The afternoon snacks were a welcome sight...and tasty. Things like olives...garlicy dip of some sort...etc.

I think DS had a plan to join up with his friend from the family. We could have joined our roll call for sailaway...but we opted to just stay in our cabin and hang out on our balcony. It was lovely. A more quiet kind of vacation moment but no less celebratory for that.

We had the quiet side of the ship for sailaway. I could hear the cheers coming from the distance. Our side of the ship was were you could see the harbor pilot disembark. I find this process fascinating. Sometimes the harbor pilot will acknowledge the onlookers...tip his hat so to speak.

The view was incredible. That perfect vacation view...green trees...water sparkling in the light...drink in hand...breeze blowing. Cheers for sailaway.

Very detailed review. There may not be any photos but your attention to detail and word choice make everything easy to follow and visualize. Looking forward to the rest. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Very detailed review. There may not be any photos but your attention to detail and word choice make everything easy to follow and visualize. Looking forward to the rest. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you. :) I like to think that this review is more like a fly on the wall...read along, sip your chosen beverage...and think about your own up and coming or past vacations.

Some kind and generous soul had taken the time to post all the dailies from their recent Connie voyage. While I didn't want to get too OCD with the planning aspect of vacation...I do like to know a bit about options prior to travel. Especially with a shorter cruise...my comment to DH was that we couldn't really take too much time to transition into vacation mode...we had to hit the ground running because the next thing we knew...vacation would be over.

I was excited for the live music. DS was too.

DS is a musician. He started playing euphonium (aka Baritone) in sixth grade. He is a "doubler" in middle school and also takes chorus. He started seventh grade as a TRUE BASE. Yes. His voice is that low. Because of all the music influence through school...he finally picked up the guitar we had gifted him with several years before when we hoped his Rock Band and Guitar Hero gaming might turn him toward the real thing. From observation alone...it does seem easier to pick up another instrument when you learn at least one.

He now owns a full size Strat. Merry Christmas, Son.

His uncle gave him the acoustic that he didn't play but had purchased with the hopes of learning back in college. Thanks, Uncle!

And now DS has ventured into the land of composition. He has a software program that enables him to write lines for multiple instruments. And DS has that brain that is capable of such work.

It's exciting really. Because I love music too.

I'm also a singer. Alto. I've been a leader on a smaller praise and worship team at a 200 member, give or take, church.

We love all kinds of music around here.

On DS' iPod, he had the soundtrack from Les Miserables. He loves to sing "Stars" while in the shower.

The aforementioned Latin. And everything from Metallica, to Toby Mac, to Santana, to CC&R, to Smooth Jazz, to Nutcracker, to Ode to Joy, to Pop, Rock...I am serious when I say that we have a general love for music.

We were very excited to see the solo guitarist/singer. He was scheduled to be playing in the Sunset Bar in the evening.

I'm sorry to report that he was a no show that night for that time. :(

We were still able to enjoy of wine. We had a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. Excellent.

Mom could overhear some conversation happening and decided to introduce herself to another couple because apparently they were both on a TA sailing in 2006...but didn't meet then. Off she went.

Dad joined.

DH, DS and I had a moment.

Soon it was time to change out of swimwear and into dinner clothing. No. I hadn't changed prior to this point. I was unpacking...enjoying sailaway...little more unpacking...wanting to hear the musician perform and have a pre-dinner drink.

We had select dining. Our reservations were for 8:00 pm, I believe.

We finished unpacking and changed for dinner. Mom and Dad were already set attire-wise so we planned to just meet then at San Marco.

I wore a sleeveless shirt with a maxi skirt and another lovely scarf. DH and DS both have linen/cotton blend pants...the kind that look so resort-like. Both wore polo shirts. We all wore nice sandals.

We made a concentrated effort to appear to care about our belongings. That is...we recognized that the sofa bed would likely be made in our absence and we knew that it would be helpful to have the floor be clear. We did this every night before leaving the room.

The check in area was filled with people. I easy located my parents. We were seated immediately.

I'm sorry that I can't remember our waiter's name...but he was from Indonesia. Very personable. Very helpful with the menu. In retrospect, I can say that the one downside of select dining is the fact that you do not have the same server throughout your sailing. We enjoyed our friendly banter and conversation with our servers on the Mariner...the relationship kind of builds as the week progresses. They get to know you quickly...if you are a somewhat habitual person. And this was missing for this sailing.

Our family friends had found the under server that they had had on their previous sailing...they loved their servers so much that they booked his time slot for each night on the sailing. Their head server from their previous sailing was now in Blu. Of course, the server remembered them. It's amazing how that is...but it's true.

If you aren't aware...the MDR menu is two pages. The left page never changes. This is the favorites side that has menu items that will be offered for the entire voyage. The right page has today's choices. These options will change and vary throughout the voyage.

It may be surprising to learn that I'm a health conscious person...despite my indulgences in adult libation. :rolleyes: My own personal goal on this cruise was to be hungry...

Is that strange? I just wanted to eat to the point that when I was supposed to eat again...I would actually be hungry again.

This is challenging when you are eating 3 or more courses at a meal...

Regardless...it had been a long time since those lunchtime crepes...and I was excited for food. You can eat whatever you want, however you want. Two second course menu items were more appealing to me than any of the first course items...so I ordered a butternut squash soup, a beet and feta cheese salad, and the jerk chicken.

The soup was creamy. The menu mentioned candied pecans and apples in addition to the butternut squash. I was envisioning a sort of garnish on the top of the soup...some added texture. From the appearance and taste of the puree, the nuts and apples had been pureed into the soup. It wasn't quite like sipping pumpkin pie...but it had that holiday flavor profile...a bit of sweetness with a bit of spice. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I read that beets are really helpful for your liver. But I don't have many beet recipes...so I was eager to see how they would be used by an experienced chef. The salad was an SPE item...which follows some sort guidelines that relate to enhanced nutrition. The presentation was tight...as they would say on Chopped. Beets diced to an exact size as cubes of feta cheese alternating in a lovely line. Another line of micro greens alternating with halved grape tomatoes resting on a visible scroll of dressing. Delicate is how I would describe the plate. Just a taste. Excellent.

The chicken was huge. Just flat out huge. It was HALF a chicken. Minus the wing. A breast with the attached thigh and leg. Skin on. In the MOST flavorful jerk seasoning. Just the right heat. Just enough to build up in your mouth and make you want to eat whatever was plated beneath the chicken. A sip of wine also cut the heat well. You never lost your palette. The chicken was tender and juicy, and yet fully cooked. I make jerk chicken at home...I have a Marcus Samuelson recipe that is out of this world. I was still impressed with this chicken. I use dark meat at home. I opted to eat the dark this night. I left the chicken breast on the plate.

I've mentioned my lack of sweet tooth. Of all the things on the menu...the sorbet flavor of the night was guava...which sounded like the best thing after that jerk chicken. A lovely little scoop of ice cold sorbet.

Such a fabulous meal.

Loving this review!!! We are on the Connie one week from tomorrow, also staying at the Embassy suites. We are in a Concierge cabin and have our 14 y/o daughter with us. Can't wait to read the rest!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so glad! If you have any specific questions...I'm happy to answer to the best of my ability. :)

I keep talking about our family friends. They were a DH, DW, DD14, DS12, and DD8. Their DD14 crosses paths with my DS13 at school through some band activities...they both did that Midfest and were in the same Honor Band. And the girl is one of the organizers of the new acapella group at the school which DS joined...so they see each other weekly through that too.

Because she had been on the sailing before...this young lady knew the ropes and she and DS had a great time. I'll be talking more about this...but again, if you have any specifics you'd like to know...ask away.

Am so enjoying all of your comments about your cruise! It is so nice to see a "positive take" on things! I will be sailing with travlingirl70 a week from Monday, and also giswam on the following sailing. The Connie is one of my very favorite Celebrity ships. They always have a fabulous crew on board. So glad you enjoyed the time you spent on her - at least so far! :) Can't wait to read the rest.

DS had plans to meet up with DD14 from our family friends. I need a name for them...I'm not big on real names online...moving on...the girl will be dear friend 14...DF14.

I think that DS had met up with DF14 earlier in the day...I think...to check out the teen club. I'll be honest...we caught a glimpse earlier in the day when it wasn't really open...I recall thinking...looks like a teenager hang out. It's a 2-story type room...solid windows all around. There's a spiral staircase from the base floor to the loft like floor...I'm pretty all sure. It's located aft near the adult solarium.

That night...there were some orientation type activities happening around 8. Then the real organization would kick in around 9. DS was going to get there as quickly as he could after dinner.

On the Mariner...if you had early dining...your kids could be on a sort of fast track for dining so that they could leave quickly to join their evening activities. I don't know if this is an option on Connie. For our part...with Select Dining...we enjoyed our meal...DS didn't feel rushed this first night...but he did gobble down his dessert (not unusual) and headed out immediately.

I was surprisingly comfortable thinking about DS being on his own on this voyage. And I'm more protective than not. There is crew EVERYWHERE. And there just isn't anywhere else for him to be...

Where's my son.

On the ship.

Probably having a great time.

Sweet.

The adults had a more leisurely end to our meal.

The fun aspect of having the beverage package...toppers.

This is our new word. My parents learned this is Australia where they stayed for several days following a TransPacific cruise to Australia from Hawaii.

A topper is when your wine glass isn't empty...and magically...the server says...would you like a topper?...and then presto...full wine glass again.

With the beverage package...you don't worry about things like this. Everyone can drink at their own pace but still leave the table with a full glass of wine. Because toppers aren't offensive against the bill...if I had to pay for each individual glass of wine...I'd want my money's worth...no toppers. Don't charge me for another glass when I haven't finished this one. But toppers and the beverage package are good friends...I think it helps service as well. They can take care of everyone at the same time...

Point being...the adults left the dinner table with full glasses of wine to take to the theater for the opening night show.

Now DH deals with a back issue. Bulging discs. Disc degeneration. Some don't have pain from this...but DH deals with compressed nerves as a result and it's difficult for him at times. He was uncomfortable and didn't want to sit in the theater...he was ready to lie down...so he went back to the cabin.

And I had a nuclear family moment with Mom and Dad. It was lovely.

We headed to the theater. Select dining is on deck 5. The second level of the theater is also...so we just headed to the opposite end of the ship...and easily found seating for ourselves.

I like the theater.

It is a nice size. It doesn't feel too small. Or too large. The seating is all plush bench seating with little drink tables placed at intervals along the benches to establish generous seating for two and create natural space between guests. It has an understated luxurious vibe...elevated from a typical movie theater for sure...but not in a gaudy way at all. Luxe but comfortable. You can feel appropriate in shorts OR your formalwear.

Every view is a good view. You can achieve a more up and close and personal view or a more overall view depending on your seat...but you never feel like you are too far from the scene.

The opening show was a taste of everything kind of show...

And here is where I realize how much I have left out of this day...OMG.

You see. You just can't possibility imagine everything that you do in one day while on vacation...I will have to forge ahead...and backtrack later...

So. A taste of everything. A sampling of what is to come and what you might find on board.

The opening band was the Blues Funk 5. We had heard them play earlier this evening in the Rendez Vous lounge. You don't remember? (That is because I forgot the segments of the day that included muster and the Rendez Vous lounge...) They played about 3 songs. I know that I'll mix up what they played where...but I do recall them playing Superstition and I Wish by Stevie Wonder. They played an Al Green song called Let's Stay Together. The lead has some fun footwork to add to the mix.

The acrobatic couple BLEW MY MIND. They are SO strong. And just amazing. The show is worth it for this couple alone.

The comedian on board will not likely still be on board. He wasn't that funny. He was okay in this first show...

The leads and chorus for the house singer and dancers were overall entertaining. I appreciated the harmony more than the solos. I appreciated the lead men more than the lead women. The dance choreo was really good.

The first show was very entertaining overall.

Afterwards...it was time for bed. I think the show started at 10 pm?

We headed back to the cabin. DS didn't show up until 11:40 pm? I admit that I did have to call the teen club to even see when the activities would end for the evening. The curfew for ages 12-14 was midnight. The curfew for ages 15-17 was 1 pm.

Of course the room was readied for the night. The bed was turned down on both sides. It felt like there were pillows everywhere...there were at least 4 on our bed...4 on the sofa bed. Chocolates for each one of us.

When we turned the lights out...

We had to adjust the room. Place this over that bright red light shining in the bottom corner of the television. Place a towel across the bottom of the cabin door. Make sure the bathroom door was closed...there is a dim light always lit in the bathroom...

On a future cruise...I will either bring the small travel clock that we take camping...or I will bring a key chain squeeze flashlight so that I can see the time on the phone (which was on my side of the bed). Because otherwise, it is impossible to know what time it is! And this made me crazy!!

We did not set an alarm or a wake up call. We had the hopes of attending the stretch class at 7 am and the abs class at 7:30 am...but we weren't going to make a big deal about it. If we woke up...we woke up.