My Connie Review...5-nights (3.31.14)...Western Carribean

Anita Latte

Am so enjoying all of your comments about your cruise! It is so nice to see a "positive take" on things! I will be sailing with travlingirl70 a week from Monday, and also giswam on the following sailing. The Connie is one of my very favorite Celebrity ships. They always have a fabulous crew on board. So glad you enjoyed the time you spent on her - at least so far! :) Can't wait to read the rest.

Hey Beth! Thanks for the feedback. I'm generally a positive person. Having no expectations from prior experience with Celebrity probably helps. I think of myself as lifelong learner and I seek improvement always...so I do analyze things...observe things...meditate on the things...comparing if I can...and contemplating how and what would improve things for next time. :cool:

I hope all this mental activity will be of some benefit to all who read. :rolleyes:

That night...there were some orientation type activities happening around 8. Then the real organization would kick in around 9. DS was going to get there as quickly as he could after dinner.

What time did your DS head over to the teen club? We have 7pm reservations at The Tuscan Grill so I'm thinking DD can get there between 8:30 & 9.

I love doing this for just this reason...I'm writing this here...on the go...and I completely forgot about an entire segment of our day!

One of the main features on Connie that we were most excited to experience was the Thalassotherapy pool in the adult solarium. Here is some information I had found prior to our vacation regarding the health benefits of a Thalassotherapy pool:

http://inchydoneyblog.wordpress.com/2012/07/03/health-benefits-of-thalassotherapy/

I have mentioned DH's back...he can also be bothered by a knee issue. I wondered if the regular use of the pool might help him. I find it fascinating that your effective weight in the pool is reduced to 10%.

DH and I explored the adult solarium and the thalassotherapy pool at some point in our pool side experience.

Wow. I mean really, wow.

Down the long sides of the pool...on both sides...thick metal like rods form a kind of bench like lounge chair. It's a bit awkward to maneuver yourself into the lounge position. When you are seated...your rear end is lowered...your knees are raised and your back is leaning as on a rest. It's like the adjusted picture of an adjustable bed.

There aren't any jets that are hitting you like a hot tub or whirlpool...but the water is bubbling all around you...and the effect is just as relaxing. You lean back and the water pulls at you as the ship sways a bit...then the water rushes you as the ship sways the opposite direction...the water is pleasantly warm and percolating all around you. DH and I were almost falling asleep.

It was fabulous.

The recommended length of time in the pool is 15 minutes.

If you happen to stay longer in the pool...which I think I did later in the week...you will feel the effect of that weight change more. It's almost like walking after you have been on a treadmill or elliptical machine. Your legs feel funny? Your legs feel funny from the thalassotherapy pool in a, wow, I feel heavier kind of way...

The hot tubs feel great.

The solarium in general is just a great room. It feels like shady sunny because the enclosure takes the bite out of the sun. I don't know if it is climate controlled. There are windows in the enclosure...so there can be a natural sea breeze.

There is the constant sound of running water because of the therapy pool...if not the whirlpools. This sound contributes greatly to the relaxing feel of the room.

I'm not attracted to the wooden looking lounge chairs. The could be comfortable. I know that I have sat in very comfortable Adirondack chairs...and these have that feel in their appearance...but are different. But I wasn't ever tempted to sit in one of those lounge chairs...

Adult is defined as 16 and older. The solarium is adult only.

Except for the seating provided for the Aqua Cafe...which is also in the solarium.

Back at the outside pools...DS was interested in a tasty drink.

Our beverage package was only included for guests one and two in the staterooms. Mom, Dad, DH and I had the package. Mom upgraded us to premium. But DS had no package. He isn't a soda drinker...and we felt that we would generally be together when he would want a special drink and we could make it work.

DH and I hit the poolside bar where they could mix a tasty non alcoholic drink.

It felt like it took a long time to get a bartender's attention. We finally did though...and when asked what I wanted, I replied, "A TASTY non-alcoholic drink. Something fun and festive." Frozen or shaken? "Frozen, please." He had it.

He presented me with a Mango Tango.

Yum.

DS loved it.

Some time passed and since I had ordered a drink for DS...I thought I'd go find myself a drink. Too late...services were closed in preparation for muster.

I needed something at the cabin so I headed there. I thought I would be able to rejoin DH and DS on deck, but when the call came to muster...all traffic was kindly directed toward the muster stations. It would have been like a salmon swimming upstream to try to meet with my men before the drill...and so I headed down to deck 4.

Our muster was B1. We gathered in the photo gallery area.

The crew is wearing neon green mesh vests...and you don't need to know where you are going. They are helpful and directive.

You check in at the muster. Every stateroom is listed as many times as there are guests in that stateroom. Everyone will be accounted for.

It's kind of a pain. But compared to muster drills of the past. I think it's relatively painless, actually.

My first muster drill...22 years ago...you had to wear the life vests from your room and gather on deck near your assigned life boat. Two years ago, you still had to gather at your assigned lifeboat. But no vests. I recall standing on the deck...gathered under my assigned lifeboat. I have to say that I find this drill to be more realistic for what would happen in the event of an actual emergency. I like to think that those people that show up can all get loaded into a one of several groups of lifeboats and these boats can be released as they are full...rather than the boats waiting around for stray passengers...

This makes so much more sense...

Because of muster...we located Michael's.

Now Michael's was one reason why Mom wanted to upgrade the package to premium. Because Michael's is supposed to be a Craft Brew lover's delight.

Supposed to be.

The website will talk about the numerous on tap craft brews. But the reality is that Michael's had been converted into a lounge for the use of Suite passengers. Which makes no sense to me at all...because I'm sure that Suite passengers really need more space for hanging out. :rolleyes:

It was a disappointment.

But supposedly...the craft brews had been moved to the Cellars Bar, which was the specialty wine bar. We headed up there...only to discover that, no, the craft brews had been moved to the Rendez Vous lounge.

Which is how we ended up in the Rendez Vous lounge. Which does NOT have craft brews on tap. And had a very, very limited select of craft beer.

:(

Ah well.

The did have Fuller's London Pride...which is a brew DH and I love but have a hard time finding. Fuller's London Porter is a rich, flavorful brew that is one of our all time favs. We explored the breweries other offerings and only once or twice was able to fine the London Pride. My best description is that it is just really good, flavorful beer. It was classified as an ale on the ship. It's light...and super tasty.

So we were happy.

We all had fun drinks except for DS.

Mom and I excused ourselves and we went off to learn about the cost for adding the premium non-alcohol package for DS. $20 a day. We didn't think he would spend that much and so we didn't add the package.

Back in the Rendez Vous lounge...we checked out the drink menu for DS. There is a dedicated page in every bar menu for Zero something drinks. These are fun and festive and tasty sounding non-alcoholic drinks. He ordered a Peach something. I gave our lovely server my card...and she didn't charge us for that drink...even though I had just ordered my London Pride.

Nice.

And that Peach drink was a hit.

It was time for that guitarist on the Sunset Bar. So we high tailed it over there.

And I was mistaken with what my family did when we left the Sunset Bar. The band, the Blues Funk 5 was playing in the Rendez Vous lounge...so we hightailed it back over there while Mom and Dad were social with that other couple.

From THERE...we went back to the cabin to change for dinner. To finish the unpacking...and of course, eat dinner.

And THIS officially concludes everything we did on embarkation day! :eek:

What a fun and full day!!

What time did your DS head over to the teen club? We have 7pm reservations at The Tuscan Grill so I'm thinking DD can get there between 8:30 & 9.

He left the table about 9. It doesn't take long to get anywhere on the ship...not if you walk the stairs. The teen club is up on deck 10? So I'm sure he got there soon after 9...the first listed activity was to start at 9. It sounded like the time from 8 until 9 was a kind of gathering time?

There are postcard like sized dailies for the teen club. You can pick that up at the kid table on embarkation. This will say what is happening that night. Then every night that your teen goes...they leave with the card that has all the activities for the following day. I'm sure you can pick that up at the teen club too. It's helpful to have the card because there will be activities for the teens outside the club...and so you'll want to know when those are scheduled. One of the best activities is the Amazing Race.

We did eat at the Tuscan Grill. I'll write about that. Set expectations for closer to 9 pm for that night.

Enjoying reading along! I'm sailing Connie (and Celebrity) for the first time in a couple short weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This was our first Celebrity cruise. Look forward to a good time...I'd look forward to sailing on her again.

I'm so enjoying reading your review. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm enjoying writing it!

Hi Anita, are you sure you are not a writer? Author? Something?:D

Loving your review.....I have been sailing with Celebrity for years

and still love reading such entertaining reviews.:D....looking forward

to the next intsallment:)

Hi Anita, are you sure you are not a writer? Author? Something?:D

Loving your review.....I have been sailing with Celebrity for years

and still love reading such entertaining reviews.:D....looking forward

to the next intsallment:)

Aww. Thanks Lois!

Our first full day on board was a Sea Day.

DH and I had some high hopes regarding the stretch class offered at 7 am.

DH works a 9/80 work week. That is, he works 80 hours in 9 days...so he has every other Friday off. On Off Fridays we go to a yoga class together at the Y. Such a good class.

Now we didn't expect the stretch class to be like that yoga class. They do offer yoga classes but you have to pay extra for the privilege. As early as 7 am seemed to be...we felt like this could be a very healthful thing to do on vacation. Yes, you have to wake up early while on vacation...but you get to go to stretch class!

And you can take a nap later.

As I said though...we didn't set an alarm.

Regardless...I'm one of those people. I always wake up before any alarm. I'm awake. Lying there. Trying to figure out if DH is awake. And if he isn't...should I wake him up? Or let him sleep? And then...DH was up.

He took his pedometer (which has a clock on it) into the bathroom to see the time...

I'm telling you...bring something to help you tell time in the stateroom...

It was 6:10 am.

Perfect timing for making the class.

It would have been much quieter and much more efficient if we had done ANYTHING the night before to help ourselves not have to fumble in the dark in the morning to get dressed for class. We didn't want to wake DS. He might as well sleep while we were in class...

DH wanted his BLACK work out shorts.

Seriously?

There's no way to tell the difference between these work out shorts and those in the dark. I knew where I had unpacked everything and so I just handed him all 3 pairs...

And so on it went...

And we were able to leave DS sleeping in the room...thinking to ourselves that we could prepare better. We didn't need the shelves in the bathroom in the cabinets under the sink. We could have totally put our clothes for that morning in there...and made life so much easier...

Hindsight.

The ship was quiet.

The sun hadn't risen.

Even the crew was scarce.

I shouldn't have been surprised that there were as many people as there were in the fitness center.

This was my first visit here. The room is a wall of windows but at 6:30 or so in the morning...there is nothing to see. It was dark. The cardio machines face the windows. The windows were like mirrors in the dark. I didn't care for that at all.

Eewww. I don't need to look at myself...

(Has anyone seen Jim Gaffigan? All I could think was...I'm going to look at myself while I work on myself while I read my Self magazine and read how myself can improve myself...)

So I was smiling in my head while I was looking at all the people in the room.

I can't help it. I'm a fitness enthusiast. I think I've mentioned that I teach Zumba. I also teach a couple of other toning like fitness classes. And I'm a researcher. I like to do things right. I can't help myself from critiquing the form of the people that are doing what they are doing...and I'm wondering if they realize the harm they are actually doing because their form is very poor.

But I know that as much as I could help someone...they wouldn't appreciate the effort...or the spirit in which I would offer the help...so I try to stop watching...

But it's like a car crash...

And so I try to tell my brain to shut up...

Oh look...that woman looks like my Great Grandma.

My Great Grandma lived to be 93 years old. She exercised every day of her life. Stretching. Isometric exercises. Walking. She went to sleep in her own bed. She didn't wake up one day. I aspire to be like my Great Grandma.

This lady may or may not be a Great Grandma. She's thin, but not skinny. And fit looking. She knows what she is doing. She enters carrying two pool towels. She gets one of the yoga mats. She completely covers the yoga mat with the two pool towels.

I think that's brilliant.

I wish I had thought of that.

I look at what another woman is doing on another yoga mat...

And I REALLY wish that I had brought two pool towels.

Ah well.

Now there is a staff member in the room. Behind the desk there is a refrigerator with bottled waters. We got one. We weren't charged for it. That is...we didn't need to present our card to get it. Hmmm.

The wooden floor where classes are held is in the midst of all the machines in the fitness room. It's in a distinctive place...but your participation in the class is not segregated from people using the fitness center.

It was time to set up for class. DH and I got our mats and a gym provided gym towel...hand towel sized.

Class was beginning.

There were many, many people there. And more people arrived in the first few minutes of the class.

The young man that lead the class...he lead the class. That is...he did not TEACH.

We started by warming up.

With squats.

:eek:

I know this is effective...but seriously. I really wanted to ease into the day in a lovely stretch kind of way...in a yoga kind of way...

Now lunges.

I must admit that I was not loving my Lean and Long Stretch Class.

The man was a young 20-something, extremely fit male. And he lead us through a very elementary age level appropriate stretch class.

I'm sorry. It was totally lame.

And I was getting more and more frustrated because he was not offering any kind of instruction regarding the different stretches. What to do to modify if needed. How to increase the intensity if needed. What NOT to do so that you don't hurt yourself.

I was missing my yoga class.

We were going to stay for the abs class. Until we saw the first exercise he did.

Double leg lifts in a prone position.

DH knows enough to know that he could NOT participate with his back.

And I wasn't sorry.

We used the provided Purell wipes on the mats.

We left.

Completely disillusioned about how our mornings were going to be this week...because we were really looking forward to that stretch class.

By now...we've been awake for a while.

It's 7:30 am.

The sun has risen...but the colors of the world are still watercolor-like. Unsaturated.

We're getting hungry.

I knew from talks with Mom before our vacation that we could get smoothies from the Aqua Cafe...again, in the solarium and very close to the fitness center. Sounded perfect.

I don't know if smoothies could be made to order. There is an extensive selection of fruit, veggies, and other items which is displayed in the counter behind the glass. There is a menu for the smoothies...and it is easy to substitute and customize what is on the menu.

I had the "Debloat" Smoothie. Pumpkin, Banana, Almond Milk (which I subbed for the listed soy), honey, protein powder, cinnamon. That's what I remember. It was delish.

DH had the "Detox" Smoothie...which I know included chia, spirulina, and cilantro among other ingredients. He liked the cilantro aspect a lot...and otherwise...it was "interesting."

We took our smoothies outside to the pool deck area.

There were already joggers and walkers up and about. DH likes to jog. It seemed like a good thing to do.

We did head back to the room so that DH could wear his jogging clothing instead of his stretching clothing. I know that reads funny...but for a man...you really need a special kind of short that will not flash the world your goods if you are going to stretch...and DH only owns one pair that works well for this purpose. His running shorts are just too floppy to wear to stretch class...so he needed to change so that he didn't wreck his stretch shorts for possible rewearing.

We ran into Moreno in the hall...and explained that DS was still sleeping. Our room wasn't quite available for service yet...

DH hit the jogging track...which is on the deck above and overlooking the pool deck. The jogging circle is not as big as the ship. But I think it's bigger than than just around the pool. When Connie was retrofitted with Aqua Class cabins...the jogging track was interrupted on the aft side of the ship. So the loop is smaller than it was.

I don't jog...I don't have more details...but I know who to ask if anyone wants more specifics.

I hit Latte Land on deck 5...with my Kindle.

I was able to snag a cushy yellow chair by the windows. And I waited a bit. And then I decided that I must need to go to the counter to get service.

I should have just been more patient.

My latte was in a paper cup with a plastic lid...and it wasn't as much fun as the day before.

And shortly after I sat, I was asked if I needed anything.

Sigh.

I had just read too much about the poor service on board...I jumped the gun but I didn't need to. I just needed to be more patient.

I was enjoying my story and keeping an eye on the time. Because Zumba was poolside at 9:15 am. I hadn't planned on participating because I thought the morning would be different...but I was really wanting to do Zumba.

At 8:45 am, I decided that I would do Zumba. I would go back to the cabin to change into my own sweat friendly clothes. DH found me before I left Latte Land. We went back to the cabin together.

It was time for DS to wake up.

I wore shorts that are water friendly to Zumba. I wear them when we go kayaking. I figured they would be good to rinse after class and wear again. I did sunscreen up because Zumba is on the pool deck. I wore my workout shoes.

At this time...this area of the pool deck was still in the shade. There were many ladies there to participate. At least 20. The instructor, Sofia, is AWESOME. She's a little fireball of energy and a great representation of Zumba. Many more ladies, men, and even older children joined in before class was over. It was a GOOD TIME. I was so happy.

Did I mention that I LOVE Zumba?

It's a bit weird to participate on the pool deck. But you just have to get over it. Yes...people watch. Oh well.

DH and DS came up to the pool deck. I saw a latte cup in DH's hand.

Mom came up on deck. She had a latte cup in her hand. Dad hit the buffet.

Class was 45 minutes long.

I was a sweaty mess.

I felt great.

I felt HUNGRY. We all were. It was time for ua all to join Dad for breakfast in the buffet.

Sorry for the TMI...but I had worked out and I was a bit too damp to sit indoors. We headed straight for the Sunset Bar...to see if by any chance at all...there was a table available...AND in the shade.

Not happening.

We snagged the large round table in the back corner of the buffet. It wasn't too cold back there. Great view...

I care about where I sit. I pick the table first...I want to sit in a lovely spot. Fortunately...plan B is still pretty outstanding on a cruise ship.

We claimed the table with our sunglasses...I went in search of Dad to let him know where we were all sitting. And then I hit the food.

The buffet is such a challenge...

So many choices! Like I said though...trying very hard to not overeat on this cruise.

I surveyed the land...took stock of the offerings...

Hotel eggs.

Definitely going for the made to order eggs. Each station is capable of working on two different pans at a time...and there were several at the buffet. I saw a line with only two ladies and I joined in.

One of the ladies was trying to give the omelet man a bowl filled with her choices. Which he completely ignored. And she was offended. She thought she was being helpful.

As much as I try to not be a know-it-all...I've already shared my self talk at the gym...I did explain to the lady that once food is removed to our side of the glass...it can't go back to the service side of the glass. It's a health related sanitary issue.

She got it. She never thought of that.

In my life...I have discovered that there is generally a good reason for things...and I need to chill out. Don't let things get to you.

I'm still working on this.

I entered into conversation with the other lady. She was at Zumba class too. She complemented me. We talked Zumba for a while.

One thing I like about cruising is all the opportunity to talk to people.

I had a happy omelet. It needed company so I grabbed some crispy bacon...you CAN find it in the bunch...and some sausage.

I avoided any wheat based products. I really don't have a sweet tooth...so this wasn't too hard in the pastry department...or the other sweet syrup friendly section.

Round two consisted of fruit. Pineapple is a fav of mine. And watermelon.

I focused on conversation with the family. Breakfast is usually a fast paced meal in our household. This was special. It deserved my attention.

Soon...Dad was off to the gym.

DS was off to find DF14.

DH decided that he needed to shower.

Mom and I were left. What would you like to do? I'm thinking I'd like another latte...

And off to Latte Land we went...

Wow, this was awesome. We will be taking our first celebrity cruise soon. We are looking forward to it.

Thank you! I hadn't read many reviews that were the equivalent of "a day in the life" and so I thought I would put forth my offering for posterity. I'm glad you are enjoying it. :)

Before the family dispersed after breakfast...we clarified our communication methodology.

Prior to our vacation, DH and I had expressed our desire for DS to enjoy a bit of freedom on this vacation. Middle schoolers are at that awkward stage where the friends can live far enough away that parental involvement is necessary for get togethers. Friends may not be your neighborhood...may live further than a reasonable walk or bike ride...so car rides are necessary...thus planning is more necessary...

But cruise ship life is different. DS could enjoy a bit of freedom...because he could have a bit more control...if he understood that we were allocating this control.

So we tried to make this clear.

Son. We have dinner reservations at 7 pm at the Tuscan Grill. This is the only thing that you really have on your agenda today.

If you try to find your Dad or me, what would you do?

We used the phones for messaging. Call the cabin periodically and update us.

The only bummer about this system is that we would actually have to GO to the cabin if we wanted to see if there was an update.

But it seemed to work fairly well.

I think I might be more specific in the future as to how often we wanted those updates...but you will read...we did run into each other at random times throughout the ship...so in the end, it wasn't a big deal.

The family parted and Mom and I headed down to deck 5. DH would follow when he finished showering.

I really wish I could remember the name of our lady in Latte Land. It was after this point forward that she not only knew our drink choices, but also our names. I believe I mentioned that Mom and Dad are still on Connie...Mom said that our lady asked Mom if she wanted a double shot hazelnut latte brought for her friend Mrs. Anita?

She didn't realize that my family hadn't stayed on board...and she didn't realize that we were family. I think the difference in last names...that, and she said that we were having so much fun together...she didn't think we were family! :confused:

How odd.

DH, Mom and I had a lovely latte repast. Classy lattes in ceramic cups with biscotti bites. Ahh.

Much time passed. The sand hourglass timekeeper would have moved very slowly because the conversation was excellent. (Harry Potter anyone?) I found it enlightening to listen to DH talk to Mom about life. While you may think that you have understanding...sometimes...it's good to KNOW...to hear DH put into words his thoughts and feelings about current life situations, the future...because he has to share this in a different way with someone like my Mom. This was very meaningful conversation...

And enough time passed that we were thinking we should eat.

I know it seems that we had JUST left the buffet to go to Latte Land...but it was now time to leave Latte Land and go back to the buffet...

:D

I wasn't feeling terribly hungry. But I knew that I couldn't make it all the way to our 7 pm ressie without needing to eat again. And then it would be way to close to dinner time...I didn't want to spoil my dinner...

There were tables available at the Sunset Bar deck...but these were in full sun. So again, we chose a table just inside the buffet...in the corner.

Feeling the need to eat light...I opted for the Caesar Salad. They will dress Caesar Salad in the bowl for you...which I appreciate. I added a scoop of tuna from the sandwich area.

As I was seating myself, a very pleasant server asked me if I would like to enjoy anything from the bar with my lunch?

There is something about the phrasing of this question...I thought to myself...I WOULD like to enjoy something from the bar with my lunch.

A glass of Pinot Griggio please.

It seemed the perfect thing to have with salad. After finishing my salad, I realized that I was hungry. I can tend to over ride hunger signals? Or just not get them without first smelling or eating a bit? But by the time of day...I really should have eaten more calories...my body needed it...it was like the salad primed the tank...

I recently read a book called French Women Don't Get Fat. I highly recommend this book. It will inspire you to not only have fun and ENJOY your food...but it will help you to get your mindset on the idea of a menu.

Not the way that we, as Americans, think of menu...which is the paper thing that lists all my options... I guess the French think of this as "a la carte." This is when YOU, as the diner, choose what you want to eat. MENU is when there is a specific PLAN for your meal. A meal of multiple courses, usually 3, in which each course enables you to enjoy and taste...and leave you hungry enough for the next course. It's like each course leaves you wanting more...but rather than overload on any one flavor...you are simply primed and ready to enjoy the flavors that will soon be following.

I tried to keep these thoughts in mind to help me with my quest to be hungry for meals on this cruise. It was like a guideline for creating each plate from each trip to the buffet.

Today, I also added the idea of a themed lunch...

There's an upscale and delight outdoor shopping area near Scottsdale called the Biltmore Fashion Park. I admit that I boomeranged after graduating college for about one year... Mom and I would regularly go to the Biltmore and enjoy lunch at this one restaurant. They had quite the selection of gourmet cold salads...not necessarily green salads...flavorful chicken salads, pasta salads, tuna, egg, veg, couscous...you name it. They had a combo plate where you could pick 3...portions were appropriate.

I picked out 3 different tasty salads. And I tried to serve myself appropriately...the salads change everyday...I think I had a curried chicken, a crab and cucumber, and a Mediterranean tomato, pepper, and olive.

I was ready for dessert...I may not crave sweets, but I DO enjoy...

If you see the Dacquoise...GET IT. I think it was Coconut Dacquoise Mango. OMG.

I can only remember the name because we debated the pronunciation of the word in a conversation that was far longer than the topic warranted.

;)

I had the Dacquoise...and an orange chocolate mousse, which tasted like that one chocolate flavor in the box that I used to dislike as a child...but now thick is super tasty.

Again...I highly recommend. They keep these sorts of dessert offerings...mousse, creme brulee, jello...toward the BACK of the dessert area at the buffet. You can't reach them unless you stick your whole upper body under the glass...

I suppose your arms could be exceptionally long...

But if you are like me...some helpful crew member along the service side of the buffet will serve you any of these desserts...and any other thing that is beyond your reach. They are HAPPY to do so.

I picked another dessert to form a happy trio...but this much have been unexceptional because I don't recall the third one...

I saw DS at the buffet. He was in the ice cream line with his DF14.

Did you eat lunch?

Oh yes. I had duck.

Duck?

And banana creme brulee.

He ate in the MDR for lunch with his DF14 and another young lady.:cool:

Sweet. I was proud!

They were off. Running around the ship and having a great time. He had been to the pool...the MDR...and he was headed to the teen club for an afternoon activity which I later learned was the Amazing Race, which was like the best activity EVER.

After our lunch...it was time to hit the pools.

I'm loving your posts. My family and I will be on Connie in a week so this is fun to read before boarding.

I love all the detail you've included. That reminds me I'm not happy to hear about Michael's changing. The craft beer they were to have was the reason why I upgraded to the premium package for my DH. Did you ever find a bar with a decent list of craft beers or was it just a few here and there?

Kristy

I'm loving your posts. My family and I will be on Connie in a week so this is fun to read before boarding.

I love all the detail you've included. That reminds me I'm not happy to hear about Michael's changing. The craft beer they were to have was the reason why I upgraded to the premium package for my DH. Did you ever find a bar with a decent list of craft beers or was it just a few here and there?

Kristy

We did not find what I would call a decent list of craft beers anywhere.

There were 3 beers at the Rendez Vous lounge that were $10 each. One was a Dogfish and I don't recall the other two. I'm not sure if they were supposed to be included in the premium package but because of all our wanderings and asking and because the one server in the Rendez Vous was sympathetic to our disappoint, we could have ordered them. We just weren't in the mood though.

There were some decent beers all over the ship...and I think it was still worth the premium package to be able to have freedom of choice. But I would say that the offering was more along the lines of a variety of Imports rather than Craft.

For example. There wasn't a single porter beer on board. There was one stout, Guiness. By and large, there were ales. I think they had singled out one brown ale, two amber ales, and many, many pale and IPA type ales in the RendezVous lounge. So, if you were ever in the mood for that craft, rich, flavorful kind of brew...you just couldn't satisfy that urge at all.

I will say that the weather was such that the darker and heavier beers that were offered weren't that appealing anyway?

But honestly...we had expected to spend quite a bit of time in Michael's and the fact that they had changed this lounge...even though the website would lead you to believe that it is an amenity on board...this was so disappointing for us. We do love our craft brews.

For our part, we ended up drinking Samuel Adams, Heineken, Stella Artois, Peroni, Boddingtons, and the Fuller's London Pride. So...a lot of green bottle beer and a couple others with some flavor...but not anything that we were hoping for from the menus we had previously read that were supposed to be offered at Michaels. We just couldn't believe that out of all those 64 beers that HAD been at Michaels...there was little evidence that they had ever been there.

Enjoying your review, Anita. ;) We also had a great cruise.

I am trying to place you by your photo, but cannot recall seeing you around. Are you going to post any photos of your family?

BTW- I had a bad camera experience, also. I left my iPhone at home by accident. On my trip to Israel, I decided not to take my camera and really enjoyed using my new iPhone. I was so disappointed. :( When I wanted a photo, I had to ask my girls to take it with their phones. Unfortunately, their phones are not as nice as mine, so the photos didn't turn out as well. I did have my iPad that took pretty good pictures. We used it in Key West.

As for Michael's Club...I don't believe that the Connie ever changed Michael's to the crafts beer area. They do have it in Michael's on the Solstice class ships. We were in a Suite, but never went to Michael's Club, which was used for the Elite gathering, I believe. Didn't attend that, either. :rolleyes:

We had 3 in our suite and my daughter, age 32, was assigned the sofa bed. It was in such bad shape that she folded it back up and made a pallet on the sofa. Those things should be replaced with the Convertabeds that the Solstice class. We previously had them on the Mariner class ships, too. I'd suggest you book a Suite the next time you sail with 3 to a room. ;)

Keep the review going. :)

Edited by Iamthesea

Enjoying your review, Anita. ;) We also had a great cruise.

I am trying to place you by your photo, but cannot recall seeing you around. Are you going to post any photos of your family?

BTW- I had a bad camera experience, also. I left my iPhone at home by accident. On my trip to Israel, I decided not to take my camera and really enjoyed using my new iPhone. I was so disappointed. :( When I wanted a photo, I had to ask my girls to take it with their phones. Unfortunately, their phones are not as nice as mine, so the photos didn't turn out as well. I did have my iPad that took pretty good pictures. We used it in Key West.

As for Michael's Club...I don't believe that the Connie ever changed Michael's to the crafts beer area. They do have it in Michael's on the Solstice class ships. We were in a Suite, but never went to Michael's Club, which was used for the Elite gathering, I believe. Didn't attend that, either. :rolleyes:

We had 3 in our suite and my daughter, age 32, was assigned the sofa bed. It was in such bad shape that she folded it back up and made a pallet on the sofa. Those things should be replaced with the Convertabeds that the Solstice class. We previously had them on the Mariner class ships, too. I'd suggest you book a Suite the next time you sail with 3 to a room. ;)

Keep the review going. :)

I should update my avatar...my hair is much shorter now...I have a pixie cut.

I don't generally post photos of DH or DS...we had an incident that happened a long time ago on the disboards where someone recognized the shirt my DH was wearing and named my son's elementary, our neighborhood, etc. And since I had been using IRL first names...and posting pictures...OMG...DH freaked. Luckily, the editing function on the disboards never goes away like here...and I was able to spend hours editing posts and deleting pictures.

And from that time forward, DH and I agreed that I wouldn't use our real names...and I would refrain from posting DS' face online.

I wouldn't say we are paranoid...but we are very careful...and generally off the grid...we don't participate in Facebook or other social media...and generally avoid too much online life...

CruiseCritic is my big exception. It's like an addiction.

I like to think I'm in good company though...

That said...DH is pretty recognizable. He is taller. He had red hair. It curls on the top but is shorter on the sides and he had a very full goatee. I'm not short...I'm a bit overweight (mostly in the middle)...and because I am strong and not too defined at this time...with my short hair...I'm almost embarrassed to share that I have a bit of a butch appearance when I wear non-gender specific clothing.

It would be nice to have a phone as a back up camera...but we are also rather frugal there...believe it or not we still us the old LG ENVs...which is the very last Qwerty phones of that type that didn't require a data plan...we are grandfathered into a deal that I just can't bear to end...so we haven't made the switch to smart phones. We joke in the family that our phones are "stupid." :rolleyes:

A suite sounds nice. I'm been dreaming of an Alaskan cruise to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in 2017...and I was actually looking at family rooms on the Radiance class of RCI. Whatever I was looking at had a closet like room with bunkbeds, a separate living area, and a separate master. I think there were two bathrooms too. I can only imagine the price tag, but I think it could be worth the splurge for such a celebratory cruise.

Fortunately, the sofa bed itself wasn't too bad in our room. But comfort tolerance for a 13 year may be lower than an adult child.

I'll have to look up the Convertabeds. Sounds more like a futon inspired bed than a pull out mattress?

Mom and Dad never went to the Elite lounge either...Michael's was described to us as a concierge lounge for suite guests.

Edited by Anita Latte

Nope...still cannot conjure up an image of your family. We must not have run into each other. I posted a photo of myself and the girls on that website mentioned on our Roll Call, so you can see if you saw us. :D

Sorry that happened to you on the Disboards. I used to post over there when the kids were teens and we took a couple of cruises.

I feel the same way about Social media and do try not to post too much online. No Facebook for me, either. And... I just switched my phone from the LG Envoy. :D My plan now cost $20 more a month for the data that I don't use. I guess that I will eventually start using the data, though. I do love the camera/video convenience. :) I took over 1,500 photos and videos in Israel/Jordan last month.

The sofa bed had a very high hump in the middle, and then dropped off at the end. It was like being in a large, rock hard recliner. :eek:

Can you walk on the deck the whole way around the Connie? Instead of the jogging track? Usually the main deck. I've only cruised HAL before.

Not really.

In my experience, Deck 4 is the only lower deck where there is outside access. We did exit from the RendezVous lounge and hang out on one side of the ship, but we didn't try to walk all the way around. I know that you can't walk around the aft of the ship on Deck 4 because the MDR prohibits this...but I'm not sure if there is access around the front of the ship so that you could do a kind of horseshoe pattern around the front and each side.

Deck 10 is the Pool Deck and this is limited, of course.

Deck 11 has the jogging track and I think our family friends (who sailed Connie before the Solistisizing) said that the jogging track used to go around the whole ship. But now...if you follow the red path down the sides of the ship...that red path ends in a big circle marking on each each of the ship...there is an access door to the Aqua Class staterooms.

Somewhere close by that point is a set of stairs that you can take to Deck 12, where the sports court is...and you can walk around the aft part of the ship and around the sports court. There's actually a very large empty deck space back there behind the sports court...when we were exploring the ship, our thoughts were that it would be a great place to view stars if there weren't too many lights close by. But we never thought to go up there again.

On the front of the ship, it's the same situation IIRC. You can't make it around on Deck 11 but there are stairs to Deck 12 and you can walk around the most front part of the ship on Deck 12.

So...technically, you can walk around the ship...sort of...if you take the stairs and work it. But there isn't something that is available that is for a great stroll around the deck.

I recall a deck that was made for this purpose on the Sovereign of the Seas. I think it was actually called the Promenade Deck because you could promenade all the way around the ship on this deck. It was actually designed to be a jogging track and, I swear, the deck itself was somewhat springy so that it was easy on the joints for jogging.

When this came up in conversation with Mom, she said that this isn't designed into ships as much any longer because of the complaints of those that sleep in the cabins beneath these types of decks...and so the jogging place as moved further and further up the ship. I thought this was too bad because the lower deck that I remember what mostly in the shade...well...at least for most of the day anyway.

My guess is that it is somewhere around 2 pm...give or take.

Time of day was something that I never had a good handle on for the entire cruise. I don't wear a watch...I rely on my cell to know the time, if I'm out...or my car...if I'm driving...or my oven, if I'm at home. Since I had turned off my cell...wasn't driving...and had no oven...I often had to seek out the time...usually, it didn't matter and I didn't care...

Isn't vacation awesome like that?

I finally changed out of my Zumba clothes...the clothes I had been wearing since 9 am. And I put on my swimsuit.

My poolside attire is a one piece swimsuit and a long flowy skirt with a wide smocked waistband for a cover up. And Jambu water ready sandals. These sandals do well on the wet deck. Please note: I saw many, many slips in cheap flip flops. Not falls, but serious slippage. Beware the wet deck.

I wish that skirt had pockets...or that my suit did. On my last cruise, almost everything I wore had a pocket for my Sea Pass card...but on this cruise, virtually NOTHING did...and that was annoying. DH ended up carrying my card a lot. Which wasn't the end of the world...

Our pit stop in the cabin was brief...we were back on Deck 10 in no time...

DH and I had plenty of time to enjoy the therapy pool. My parents eventually joined us. DH hit the hot tub and had the most interesting conversation with another couple.

Ever meet someone that lives in the city next to your home town when you are on vacation? It's the most unlikely thing to me...but it happened. This couple was former military...the husband and wife had both served...and they had amazing stories to tell. And they were young! Well...young like me...their oldest was 11, youngest 3...

I meet people like this...and I think to myself...I'm really not that interesting.

Huh.

I was interested to see how the 4:00 pm Zumba class would compare to the earlier class. I didn't need to be too close though. I grabbed a Stella from the stand right outside the solarium and looked for a more comfortable place to park myself.

I think there was DJ music playing during this time...mostly top 40 type music.

There are some comfy lounging chairs poolside on Connie. They are popular, but you CAN get them. They are like wicker club chairs with cushy pads and backs and a half moon shaped ottoman and a round wicker table (which is pretty worthless for drinks because it doesn't have enough tension to hold something with such a small footprint)...and I scored two of these chairs!

DH gathered our belongings from one of the other, not as cushy lounge chairs...

And then he got this bee in his bonnet...he wanted to know where DS was...it had been too long since we had seen him...he went back to the room to see if there was a message...

Mom joined me.

I realized I needed to locate more chairs...

The grouping behind me had an empty one...so I rearranged some furniture on the pool deck and made a happy cushy sitting area for the family...

Dad saw DS briefly. There was no time...he was on a mission...it was the Amazing Race! We learned later that DS' team won.

What did you win?

Bragging rights!

Nice.

I say happy a lot...did anyone else watch the Joy of Painting...and here's a happy little cloud...brush brush brush...maybe your cloud is a sad cloud...maybe it's gray and full of rain...maybe it's a thin cloud...but this is a happy little cloud.

I loved listening to that man...and I think I have used that as a favorite adjective ever since...

But I digress.

It was time for Zumba. Sofia was working the mic to get a crowd gathered. And she gathered quite a group. Literally gathered...unlike the morning class, which had people that showed up in their exercise clothing...this class was clothed in bathing suits and other poolside appropriate attire.

Everyone had shoes of some sort on...even flip flops...because the pool deck is HOT. I think I mentioned this already...and the afternoon Zumba class in this direction was in the SUN...and that deck was HOT.

Sofia is a great instructor though...and she took into account the attire of the class...and the conditions of the class...and her choreo and class was tailored to the current situation. She did repeat some routines/songs from earlier that day...but also did some different ones. I enjoyed the music again!

When I ran into DS at the buffet earlier...I forgot to mention that we had made a plan to listen to the solo guitarist/singer later that evening. He was playing in Latte Land...I don't recall when his set started...but I KNOW that it ended at 6 pm.

Dad had gone back to the cabin to get ready for dinner and change out of his swimwear. Mom, DH, DS and I headed to Deck 5 to listen to Jonny Java.

Jonny Java is awesome.

He has a nice lower range voice. He picks bluesy, easy listening, but still rock-ish kinds of songs. He sang Santana's Black Magic Woman. Tracy Chapman's Give Me One Reason to Stay Here (or whatever the name of that song is...). The Beatles' Come Together. I don't recall more...DS probably would. I just remember thinking to myself that he had a nice sound...and did nice arrangements of songs that you recognize.

The music was so easy to listen to...I look over at DH and he is DROOPY...head nodding and snapping up...eye lids slowly descending...I looked at Mom's watch ;) and saw that he could get a nap in before dinner at 7:00 and suggested very kindly that he go do that...

Would that be okay?

Yes...Go.

Mom left before the end of the set to start to get ready.

I know the set ended at 6 pm because I was mentally trying to figure out how long it would really take me to get ready...

In reply to IAMTHESEA, I mentioned that I have a recent pixie cut...which means that it doesn't take anything for me to get my hair ready...and I knew that DS wanted to talk to Jonny after his set. So we stayed until the end...

So that we could learn about his oh so cool tool!

It's called a loop board. Jonny has the ability to record 3 different tracks of 3 different lengths that will all play over and over...in a loop. For some songs, he would do a beat box...then he might add the tssss tsss tsss sound for cymbals...and then a few bars on what would qualify as a rhythm guitar. And then he would play and sing over that.

So when he would play a guitar solo in a song...it was like a real solo. With support in the sound underneath from his recorded beat and rhythm.

We thought that what the coolest thing ever!

Jonny is nice. He's from New York. I swear, if DS had his own guitar with him, he would have jammed with DS and hung out. He was that laid back and personable. We had a nice conversation.

DS and I headed back to the cabin to get ready for our Tuscan Grill ressie at 7 pm.

I asked him, "You got a new toy you want now?"

Oh yeah.

I still have to research the loop board to see how cool that toy really is.

Just want to say I'm still following and this is the best way to count down the last week before a cruise!!!!! Zumba sounds fun but I've never tried it before and I'm not the most coordinated either. It sounds like it is suitable for all levels? Can't wait for the next installment!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk