Stonehenge

ceba

Today my research shows that tickets must be purchased in advance to visit Stonehenge. We want to stop there on our way to Southampton the day before we sail. Some reviews say pay and go in and others say plenty can be seen from the fences. I'm interested in opinions of the Stonehenge experience.

Today my research shows that tickets must be purchased in advance to visit Stonehenge. We want to stop there on our way to Southampton the day before we sail. Some reviews say pay and go in and others say plenty can be seen from the fences. I'm interested in opinions of the Stonehenge experience.

We did Stonehenge last May after our Infinity cruise. We had a rental car and drive first to Salisbury. We did not pre-purchase our Stonehenge tickets. There was a queue, but it moved quickly. You can see the site from the road, but going there and not going inside, using the audioguide would be foolish.

Traffic from London was heavy, so go early.

We did Stonehenge last May after our Infinity cruise. We had a rental car and drive first to Salisbury. We did not pre-purchase our Stonehenge tickets. There was a queue, but it moved quickly. You can see the site from the road, but going there and not going inside, using the audioguide would be foolish.

Traffic from London was heavy, so go early.

Thank you! Apparently the advance purchase is new. We have a driver that wil be picking us up. How long a visit should we count on?

Thank you! Apparently the advance purchase is new. We have a driver that wil be picking us up. How long a visit should we count on?

We waited in line about half an hour to get tickets, but once we started going around, listening to the audioguide, it took probably no more than an hour to finish.

We also went to Stone Circle (where you can touch the stones), which is about 30 miles Northeast of Stonehenge. Stone Circle is in Avebury, it is worth a trip there. We did this as well as Salisbury in a full day.

Things have changed since 4774Papa visited in May. Last December a new visitor centre opened. The A334 road next to Stonehenge has now been closed and shuttle buses take you from the visitor centre over a mile to the stones. Entrance is now by timed tickets, so unless you prebook you risk not being able to gain entrance. They do have a few 'walk-up' tickets each day, but they cost £1 more. Depending on how much time you want to spend looking at the displays in the visitor centre, you'd be there about 1 and a hlaf to 2 hours.

Things have changed since 4774Papa visited in May. Last December a new visitor centre opened. The A334 road next to Stonehenge has now been closed and shuttle buses take you from the visitor centre over a mile to the stones. Entrance is now by timed tickets, so unless you prebook you risk not being able to gain entrance. They do have a few 'walk-up' tickets each day, but they cost £1 more. Depending on how much time you want to spend looking at the displays in the visitor centre, you'd be there about 1 and a hlaf to 2 hours.

Thank you. Given flight times can change this may not be an option for us.

As Aquilegia's post, things have changed at Stonehenge.

The appalling visitor facilities just across the road from the stones have gone.

But they were conveniently situated.

Now replaced by a new visitor centre about a mile away, with visitors transported by land-train. Doubtless a wonderful facility but whereas an hour was plenty you now need to allow at least 90 minutes, plus time to spend in the visitor centre.

And the change has been problematic, English Heritage's logistics team have been rightly chastised by the media for their dreadful planning. Inadequate transport, so a lot of people walked & extra buses were provided between centre & stones. Plus serious traffic problems - for visitors, for locals, and for through-traffic on the very busy nearby A303 London-to-West Country road.

I feel that timed tickets will not work out - there's nowhere else of interest nearer than Salisbury (8 miles) and its difficult for folk to judge travelling time.

Not having a timed ticket might make no difference at all, or it might screw-up your day - it's just too early to tell.

I can only suggest that you check the 'net, or ask here again, much closer to your date.

The "stone circle" mentioned by Papa is called Avebury Ring. About 25 miles north of Stonehenge. No admission fee etc, the road actually runs through the Ring. No facilities either, just a nearby pub. IMHO by itself unworthy of the travel but can be combined with nearby pl;aces such as Marlborough, Silbury Hill, ancient "barrows" (burial mounds) etc.

Without the background, both Stonehenge & Avebury Ring are just a load of stones. So do be sure to research their history (esp Avebury cos there's no audio guides, literature etc on-site) or you'll be sorely disappointed.

JB :)

As Aquilegia's post, things have changed at Stonehenge.

The appalling visitor facilities just across the road from the stones have gone.

But they were conveniently situated.

Now replaced by a new visitor centre about a mile away, with visitors transported by land-train. Doubtless a wonderful facility but whereas an hour was plenty you now need to allow at least 90 minutes, plus time to spend in the visitor centre.

And the change has been problematic, English Heritage's logistics team have been rightly chastised by the media for their dreadful planning. Inadequate transport, so a lot of people walked & extra buses were provided between centre & stones. Plus serious traffic problems - for visitors, for locals, and for through-traffic on the very busy nearby A303 London-to-West Country road.

I feel that timed tickets will not work out - there's nowhere else of interest nearer than Salisbury (8 miles) and its difficult for folk to judge travelling time.

Not having a timed ticket might make no difference at all, or it might screw-up your day - it's just too early to tell.

I can only suggest that you check the 'net, or ask here again, much closer to your date.

The "stone circle" mentioned by Papa is called Avebury Ring. About 25 miles north of Stonehenge. No admission fee etc, the road actually runs through the Ring. No facilities either, just a nearby pub. IMHO by itself unworthy of the travel but can be combined with nearby pl;aces such as Marlborough, Silbury Hill, ancient "barrows" (burial mounds) etc.

Without the background, both Stonehenge & Avebury Ring are just a load of stones. So do be sure to research their history (esp Avebury cos there's no audio guides, literature etc on-site) or you'll be sorely disappointed.

When I first read about the timed tickets I wondered how that would work. It may be the advantage/disadvantage of taking an organized tour. I hate to pass it up, but with a driver "on the clock", possible flight delays, and going to Southampton, that may be what has to happen. Thank you for your insight.

Edited by ceba

We are going to go from Southampton Central to Salisbury by train:

http://www.thetrainline.com/de/?gclid=CNXWpfGP4r0CFUTHtAodpxcAoQ#

The stonehenge bus tour starts at Salisbury Station:

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/index.shtml

Have a nice journey :D

We are doing the same thing. Makes for easy connections. We also plan to stay for evensong at Salisbury cathedral.

Edited by Alaskanb

Because of the uncertainty over timed tickets, I e-mailed the bus service which operates the Stonehenge hop-on buses from Salisbury

They've responded that "if you book through us and are hop on hop off tour bus you do not have worry about English Heritages timed slots"

BTW, most folk who visit for a day from Southampton travel to Salisbury by train (every half-hour, 30 minute journey, fare about £10 for a "cheap day-return"), take the Stonehenge hop-off, mebbe also stop off at Old Sarum (no fun if it's raining), then get off in Salisbury city centre to visit the cathedral & wander the historic & laid-back city centre, before going back to the station by hop-off (if timing's convenient) or local bus or taxi or 15 - 20 minute walk.

Buy train tickets at the station. You don't have to specify a return time for a cheap day-return, return on any same-day train

Edited by John Bull

Because of the uncertainty over timed tickets, I e-mailed the bus service which operates the Stonehenge hop-on buses from Salisbury

They've responded that "if you book through us and are hop on hop off tour bus you do not have worry about English Heritages timed slots"

BTW, most folk who visit for a day from Southampton travel to Salisbury by train (every half-hour, 30 minute journey, fare about £10 for a "cheap day-return"), take the Stonehenge hop-off, mebbe also stop off at Old Sarum (no fun if it's raining), then get off in Salisbury city centre to visit the cathedral & wander the historic & laid-back city centre, before going back to the station by hop-off (if timing's convenient) or local bus or taxi or 15 - 20 minute walk.

Buy train tickets at the station. You don't have to specify a return time for a cheap day-return, return on any same-day train

Thank you, John!!

Thanks....this is exactly the info I needed....!!

Salisbury Cathedral is an amazing place and if it is a choral evensong it is magical.

If you have time, the guided tour is well worthwhile.

http://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/visit/plan-your-visit

In our case Stonehenge is an add-on to Salisbury -- just hoping we don't doze off during evensong as it will definitely be a jet lag day.

• 1 month later...
I visited Stonehenge in the late 70's and you could walk among the stones & touch them. Is that still allowed ?

No. it has been many years since you were able to walk among the stones. Sadly, one of the reasons was that tourists were breaking off pieces to take as souvenirs.

No. it has been many years since you were able to walk among the stones. Sadly, one of the reasons was that tourists were breaking off pieces to take as souvenirs.

That's awful. What's wrong with people.

I visited Stonehenge in the late 70's and you could walk among the stones & touch them. Is that still allowed ?

If you are blind (or anyone in your party), ask if one of the employees at Stonehenge could give you a touch tour of the stones. If you arrive early and if the crowds aren't too large, someone from staff may agree to take the blind individual -- and only the blind individual -- into the circle.

Before I start a stampede of folks turning up at Stonehenge and claiming to be blind, you'll need to know the following. The person making the request needs to use a white cane. (I have no idea whether or not someone working with a guide dog would be allowed inside the circle. My husband uses a white cane.)

Unlike the vests that folks order online to pretend a pet is a service dog, canes are not just sent to anyone who asks for one. In the US, a blind person receives his/her first cane as the result of someone with official status providing the cane as part of mobility training by state or other qualified agencies.

If you are blind (or anyone in your party), ask if one of the employees at Stonehenge could give you a touch tour of the stones. If you arrive early and if the crowds aren't too large, someone from staff may agree to take the blind individual -- and only the blind individual -- into the circle.

Sort of figured that people would ruin it for others, but find it great that this is provided for the blind, wonderful idea.