Cabin organization and storage tips?

iHeartGlaciers

We usually cruise for about two weeks and bring a 24" suitcase each, plus small carry-ons for valuables. I have cruised with a carry-on size only, but prefer to have a few more clothing choices.

Ask for extra hangers and use every inch of the hanging space.

We like the foldable laundry hamper. I have never needed the shoe holder, but maybe it would be ok with more than two in a room.

I do use cups or glasses to store small things, like my make-up brushes and tubes or pens, etc. I have also brought (packed stuff in it) a small cardboard box, bottom only, for corralling small things in the cabin that tend to get lost.

Some of the stools have a lid that lifts off and is great for storage--sometimes I keep my shoes in there.

I have also found a good home for shoes between the sofa or desk and the curtains--not all ships have this space though.

Good idea about storing any purchases in the suitcases! Hadn't thought of that. We do store things we might not need much (jackets, rain gear, snorkel equipment, etc.) in them. Dependent on itinerary.

I need to bring on one or two travel size conditioners; most ships either don't have conditioner at all or have a shampoo/conditioner combo which just doesn't work for me.

First thing is packing at home. Put everything you want to pack on the bed. Then put half of it back in your closet. Shoes, you will only need 3-4 sets max. If doing formal night, rent shoes on the ship. You need everyday shoes, tennis shoes, walking shoes, and formal shoes. For the ladies, get over the matching pairs. Pack a black set, tennis, walking, another color that goes with most of your outfits. My wife is down to 4 pair. One of the pair you need is what you wear boarding the ship. As others have said, there are a ton of places to put things. We unpack everything into the closet and dresser drawers. Dirty stuff goes into one of the empty suitcases. If on a longer cruise (12 days) in the Eastern Med, we take 7 days worth and have the changes laundered on the ship. This will likely get you out of an overweight suitcase charge on the airline. Yes, we book PH Suites and have laundry done 2 times aboard so we can go home with mostly clean clothes, even more so if we get caught in a delayed trip home and still have fresh clothes.

MEN:2 pairs of shoes maximum.One for day time the other for evening.

MEN:2 pairs of shoes maximum.One for day time the other for evening.

Depends on the man: my husband wears sneakers to board that he wears most of the time and uses in the gym; he also packs another pair that are specifically for running; dress shoes for dinner; water shoes for beaches. We always have enough space for the two of us and our stuff in the cabin for the week.

Here's something I've done. Get a coffee cup (or two) from the buffet area. You can use it to put your pocket change in, car keys, or any other small items that you won't need on the ship. The cup will fit in a drawer, out of the way, and keep your stuff in one place until debarkation. When it's time to leave, leave the coffee cup on the vanity and the room steward will take care of it.;)

Why not take a Ziploc bag and keep in the safe, along with other valuables ?

I need to bring on one or two travel size conditioners; most ships either don't have conditioner at all or have a shampoo/conditioner combo which just doesn't work for me.

Ship's shampoo and conditioner combo don't work for my hair either...Have just found Lush solid bar shampoo and conditioner...trialled at home..seems good. Although seems quite expensive at £6.50 each, but apparently last for 80 washes.

Need another cruise now to test this out !!!

I would take an extension/extra outlet plug WITHOUT the surge protector! (I've seen it mentioned in this thread, and they are NOT allowed and will be confiscated.) We did find square extra outlet plugs on Amazon and used those and they were great. The outlet in the bathroom is usually not compatible with blow dryers/curling irons and shavers, so having an extra outlet in front of the mirror in the room is a god send. The only other thing I would absolutely agree with are the magnets. My girlfriend actually got one of the decoration packages for our room and it came with a magnetic hanging cable with clips on it that hung from the ceiling. I used that thing for hats, to hold our excursion envelopes, special invite cards, etc. I saved it and am taking it with us next time! It was awesome!

Ship's shampoo and conditioner combo don't work for my hair either...Have just found Lush solid bar shampoo and conditioner...trialled at home..seems good. Although seems quite expensive at £6.50 each, but apparently last for 80 washes.

Need another cruise now to test this out !!!

I've read about Lush too--might try it out.

Zip lock for the safe is a great tip. Too many people have things left behind in the safe because it's dark, small and out of the way. Agree with a couple of the magnetic hooks for the wall too. We've carried the shoe organizer before, but we've just found that we never really used it. Four to a cabin, maybe, but for a couple? Nope.

I don't know how or why this is? Can you explain, please? Thx!

Sorry if this has been posted before, I tried searching but couldn't find a exact thread on the topic. I've read a lot about using a hanging shoe organizer to store things on the door, but I'm wondering what other tips there are for general cabin organization and for maximizing storage.

Thanks!!

July 2012 ~ Celebrity Infinity ~ Alaska

I've read here on CC ... bring binder clips to hold towel to pool loungers or balcony chairs.