Need advice from those who know Heathrow

Need help from those who know Heathrow well.

We're coming into Heathrow at 8:30 am on a Sunday morning. We have checked luggage to pick up and have to go through customs. I've arranged for a car to pick us up at 11 am. I've heard horrible things about how long it takes to get out of Heathrow but am I being too cautious? How much time should I allow? I don't want to be waiting around too long if it's not necessary.

We're coming into Heathrow at 8:30 am on a Sunday morning. We have checked luggage to pick up and have to go through customs. I've arranged for a car to pick us up at 11 am. I've heard horrible things about how long it takes to get out of Heathrow but am I being too cautious? How much time should I allow? I don't want to be waiting around too long if it's not necessary.

It might help if you post the airline that you are flying as Heathrow has different terminals for different airlines. Also, you might want to post this question on Flyertalk for a more experienced answer.

Sorry, we are coming into Terminal 3 from Toronto.

Didn't know about Flyertalk. Thanks for the tip.

I've only experienced Terminal 4 at Heathrow--we must use different airlines.

If you're landing at 8:30, I would think you would be able to be through customs and immigration in 2 hours. Are you flying first or business class? Or coach? First and business get preferred lanes through customs. That will take even less time.

The car services are pretty experienced about all this and will monitor your flight. I think I'd let them know what time your flight is due in and let them figure out the best pickup time.

WAY too cautious. Depending on how many flights are arriving at that time, you should be thru the whole immigration/baggage claim/customs thing by 9:30, 10 if it's really busy.

As I recall, it was a very long walk at Heathrow to get out to our gate.

Your gate may be in closer to the terminal, but if anyone in your party has difficulty walking, I would suggest that you request wheelchair service and get there extra early.

One member of our family needed to use a wheelchair the last time we flew out of Heathrow.

It was quite an interesting experience, unlike any we have encountered before.

First they assembled all the wheelchair passengers together in one room.

It was rather like sitting in a disembarkation lounge on the last day of a cruise, waiting to be called.

From there, they loaded them in order into a long motorized vehicle to drive them out to their respective departure gates.

The woman in charge of loading the transport vehicle, a Nurse Ratchet type barking orders at everyone, was adamant about allowing only the wheelchair passengers to ride.

The other employees there appeared to be terrified of her.

She would not let the companions or spouses or children of the wheelchair passengers ride along with them.

Even very young children and elderly spouses hobbling along with canes had to make their own way out to their gate.

Where are you headed after leaving the airport? Directly to Southampton? Or a stay in London? Hopefully you're flying in at least a day early...

Either we were lucky, or your horror stories are overblown. :confused:

It WAS a fair walk from the gate to baggage claim and customs, but once there, a LOT of lanes were available and they moved VERY quickly. :cool:

(Our horror story was at JFK coming back from Barcelona! It took well over two hours with only a few open lanes.) :eek:

After customs we had a very short walk (30 seconds?) stepped outside and were in a taxi 30 seconds after that! The ride to our hotel was less than three minutes as we stayed at the Jury's in right next to the airport. :D

Happy cruising! :)

As I recall, it was a very long walk at Heathrow to get out to our gate.

Your gate may be in closer to the terminal, but if anyone in your party has difficulty walking, I would suggest that you request wheelchair service and get there extra early.

One member of our family needed to use a wheelchair the last time we flew out of Heathrow.

It was quite an interesting experience, unlike any we have encountered before.

First they assembled all the wheelchair passengers together in one room.

It was rather like sitting in a disembarkation lounge on the last day of a cruise, waiting to be called.

From there, they loaded them in order into a long motorized vehicle to drive them out to their respective departure gates.

The woman in charge of loading the transport vehicle, a Nurse Ratchet type barking orders at everyone, was adamant about allowing only the wheelchair passengers to ride.

The other employees there appeared to be terrified of her.

She would not let the companions or spouses or children of the wheelchair passengers ride along with them.

Even very young children and elderly spouses hobbling along with canes had to make their own way out to their gate.

This is a somewhat harsh view of the Assistance team at Heathrow and describes departure rather than arrivals. We have never been barked at but, the airport and Assistance team are extremely busy with tight schedules and there is often insufficient resources for everyone, not just the person who requested assistance, to ride on the vehicle. If there is not room, it is impossible for those with the person requiring assistance to travel with the vehicle because it travels underground in areas not open to the public. However, anyone is free to request assistance, if needed, they just need to request it through their airline.

If assistance is required on arrival, you will be asked to wait on the 'plane until everyone else is off and then be met by a wheelchair and pusher at the door. The person requiring assistance is wheeled to the gate and, often, transferred to a vehicle. It is more likely, in this situation, that one person with the person requiring assistance WILL be able to ride on the vehicle as well BUT this will not always be the case. Again, any people not riding on the vehicle must make their own way because the vehicle will go to areas not open to the public. Make arrangements to meet in Baggage Claim.

As for the OPs question, we always allow 1 hour from landing to emerging from Customs. It may take longer if you are not an EU national because those queues can be longer. Baggage Claim is unlikely to cause any delays. However, we find that any delays are more likely to be the wait to get to a gate. As I mentioned, Heathrow is an extremely busy airport and this can take a long time. As a previous poster mentioned, there is no need to be concerned about your car service. They all know Heathrow extremely well and will usually sit in a cafe a short distance from the airport until they know that the aircraft is at a gate. This way they reduce the short-stay parking charge. Just make sure that you are wearing any distance glasses you may need [even if you do not wear them for flighing] because there will be a lot of drivers waiting with signs!

Edited by Project_gal

The variable part at Heathrow arrivals is immigration.

The queues can be very variable depending on timing and PAX mix(which changes different holiday weeks).

I give 45-60 as min from landing to walk through land side when picking up can be longer.

As above give your flight details to the service and take their advice they will have on the ground up to date info on timings if they are regular pickups at LHR.

Some will ask you to call after immigration or after baggage claim or just turn up anyway and wait if needed.

2 hours should be plenty. As the OP said, the queues at Heathrow tend to be at passport control, especially in the morning when the overnight flights arrive. Yes there can be some distance to walk but I have never taken longer than an hour or so to get through.

If you are using a car company that regularly collects at Heathrow, they should be able to advise if you give them your flight details.

Edited by bevfd
Added car info

Yes, 11am is way too pessimistic.

You'll hear horror tales of delays for most airports, but of course getting through in reasonable time isn't a tale worth telling.

I'm usually through in 60 mins from touch-down to arrivals hall, though immigration lines for non-EU nationals tend to be longer.

90 minutes should be plenty for you, so a 10am car makes sense.

Trading phone numbers with your car provider is worthwhile - as long as you remember to switch your phone on :rolleyes:

Or, as bevfd's post, simply advise the provider of your flight number & arrival time, and let them figure the best time.

JB :)

I flew into Heathrow on AC from Toronto about 3 weeks before the 2012 Olympics. The flight was the only non-red eye leaving Toronto in the morning and arriving in the evening. We stood in the line for passport control for at least an hour and a half, had a 3 minute interview and by that time our bags were lined up in the baggage hall and it was another 5 minutes until we were at the curb.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A couple of weeks before the Olympics that doesn't surprise me but it would still be most unusual. At any airport there can be delays but in general an hour or so should be sufficient, any longer and it is just unfortunate.

Hi there,

I fly from Heathrow quite often. It really depends on how busy they are but the passport queue not that horrific. They would open extra kiosks anyway. There is also the automatic passport reader (not sure if it is for people from outside Europe though). Most of the time I arrive late at night and on many occasions passengers have to get on a bus after getting off the plane and this adds 15 minutes. I am not sure if it is like this in the morning, most probably not. Don't forget that baggage can take time to arrive too. I think you have been a little cautious with the time slot. Welcome to London in advance :-)

Most long haul flights arrive first thing in the morning. It will also depend on the gate you come into as some are 20 minutes walk from baggage reclaim

As UK residents it usually takes us 90 minutes from touchdown to clear Gatwick (smaller than LHR), so I think you have the timing about right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, we are coming into Terminal 3 from Toronto.

Didn't know about Flyertalk. Thanks for the tip.

Just a quick note if you are on the Air Canada flight that arrives at 8:30 in the morning. Heathrow Airport has recently announced the timeline for the transfer of airlines to the new Terminal 2. Air Canada is scheduled to move to T2 on June 18. So, if your flight is on AC and after that date, you will be coming into T2 and not T3 now.

The new terminal officially opens on June 4, and they appear to be testing it a lot and there are moving the various airlines into it a bit at a time, so they can work out any bugs. A few years back they had a near disaster opening Terminal 5. So, we don't have any direct experience yet with how immigration and baggage delivery will actually be in the new terminal. One would hope it would be somewhat improved.

Edited by tiggerrr

Just a quick note if you are on the Air Canada flight that arrives at 8:30 in the morning. Heathrow Airport has recently announced the timeline for the transfer of airlines to the new Terminal 2. Air Canada is scheduled to move to T2 on June 18. So, if your flight is on AC and after that date, you will be coming into T2 and not T3 now.
Fortunately, it looks like the OP is on a cruise that sails on 26 May 2014, so will presumably still be arriving at T3.

• 1 month later...

After 50+ trips to Heathrow in last 5 years, al lI can say about immigration is expect it to be worse than JFK or any third world country.

You might be able to breeze through in 10-15 min or most likely 30-40 min But very long delays (of over 2 hours) are not that uncommon (all it takes for someone to show up with refuge request and that lane is almost unusable for next 30 min)

While car service may monitor your flight, They will not be able to monitor immigration line. Exchanging phone numbers with driver might be your best bet.

I avoid doing private car pickups at Heathrow for going into London unless arranged free by airline. Much easier to use Heathrow Connect (Hethrow Express if someone else is paying for your ticket) and then taking cab from Paddy.