Onboard Medical Services

disneyfan68

Just curious what kind of onboard medical services are offered. We are sailing tomororw and strep throat is running rampant in our area. My kids are fine (knock on wood) but just concerned if it develops onboard.

Can the doctor test for something like that? Can he prescibe antibiotics? Are they available onboard?

Just wondering.

Karyn

If possible I'd go to my own doctor and get a prescription for antibiotics JIC they are needed. I have been able to do this from my doctor.

Medical services onboard handle a range of illnesses of pax and crew.

I got the beginning of Pink Eye on a Princess cruise last month. $112 for visit, test and meds. (Couldn't believe I got Pink Eye, thae averag age onboard was 78.)

Karyn,

Yes to all your questions. The doctor can test, prescribe, and will have some medicines like antibiotics on board. Does your medical insurance cover you and your family on a cruise? If not, you will have to pay for the services. If you have travel insurance that covers it, you usually have to pay upfront, and then submit a claim for reimbursement.

If you even suspect your kids are coming down with something, I would go to your doctor immediately or a doc-in-a-box if you can't get to your own physician.

Roz

On the last cruise we were on I ended up at the doctor needed an antibiotic and it cost $78.00. I did not think that was too bad for the services considering it was after hours... :)

They also gave me a detailed receipt to send to my insurance company once we got home if we wanted to.

Edited by ILUVCRUIZN

If possible I'd go to my own doctor and get a prescription for antibiotics JIC they are needed. I have been able to do this from my doctor.

Medical services onboard handle a range of illnesses of pax and crew.

I got the beginning of Pink Eye on a Princess cruise last month. $112 for visit, test and meds. (Couldn't believe I got Pink Eye, thae averag age onboard was 78.)

Overuse of antibiotics is dangerous to the immume system. Plus, no good doctor should or would prescribe medications to someone just in case. You could always go to the doctor to get tested, but than what would that accomplish? $112 for a visit that includes drugs seem to be extremely reasonable.

Overuse of antibiotics is dangerous to the immume system. Plus, no good doctor should or would prescribe medications to someone just in case. You could always go to the doctor to get tested, but than what would that accomplish? $112 for a visit that includes drugs seem to be extremely reasonable.

On the su shine last week it was $200

When my husband and I were on a cruise in 2011, he became VERY ill. We went to the doctor onboard. He ended up having a bilateral massive pulmonary embolism and we were evacuated off the ship. We were in the infirmary for 6-7 hours, on oxygen, had blood tests, x-rays, breathing treatments and injections of blood thinners and probably some things I missed. They shut down the infirmary to non critical visits. Thought this would cost a fortune, as it would here in the US. Ship was diverted as we were at sea and nowhere close. They gave us free phone calls, etc. Guess what the bill was? Somewhere around $700. Probably couldn't even step foot in an emergency room and pee in a cup here for that. They saved his life. I would trust them over and over. I am sure there are bad ship docs and good, just are there are good and bad everywhere.

That is a wonderful story, Spotte. I'm so it had a happy ending. My sister has had a pulmonary embolism twice, so I know how dangerous your husband's situation was. You had to be scared to death.

Roz

My teenage daughter had one of those heavy balcony doors slammed on her finger. I was scared to death to take her there thinking it would cost us a fortune. They X-ray'd, bruned a hole in the nail to drain the blood and relieve pressure, gave her an antibiotic and pain killers along with a morphoine injection to kill the pain and nerve blocks in her finger. She ended up breaking it but they didn't charge us a penny which I thought was awesome. They told us becuase she wasn't drinking that there wouldn't be a charge

I've read a few articles and watched a "documentary" on cruise ship medical services and have become somewhat concerned about the level of service some passengers expect and the level of service that may be available. This does not make me an expert nor do I acknowledge these sources as factual but I came away with a few concerns. The first was that the ship's doctor has to have a license from the US or Canada or most European countries or other country acceptable to the cruise line. The medical personel are not employees of the cruise line but contractors which means it's unlikely one could successfully sue for malpractice. There are no legislated guidelines for provision of medical services. In fact the cruise line industry has spent millions fighting mandatory legislation for medical training. One doctor practicing on a major cruise line had 2 malpractice settlements in the US, both resulted in deaths. I'm sure there are many competent medical personnel on these ships but there will also be some of questionable ability. Bottom line, if you have a serious pre-existing condition, one should carefully consider the medical services on the ship or whether to cruise at all. Man, that was long winded. Sorry :o

Karyn,

Yes to all your questions. The doctor can test, prescribe, and will have some medicines like antibiotics on board. Does your medical insurance cover you and your family on a cruise? If not, you will have to pay for the services. If you have travel insurance that covers it, you usually have to pay upfront, and then submit a claim for reimbursement.

If you even suspect your kids are coming down with something, I would go to your doctor immediately or a doc-in-a-box if you can't get to your own physician.

Roz

A good point. Many health plans in the US do not include out of country coverage. And once you board the ship you are considered "out of country". It's a good idea to confirm with whatever medical coverage group you have whether or not they will cover you onboard.

Any costs in the onboard medical center will be charged to your onboard account. And must be paid before departing the ship. Once home, you can file for reimbursement from travel(medical) insurance, if you purchased it.

Edited by Shmoo here

A good point. Many health plans in the US do not include out of country coverage. And once you board the ship you are considered "out of country". It's a good idea to confirm with whatever medical coverage group you have whether or not they will cover you onboard.

Any costs in the onboard medical center will be charged to your onboard account. And must be paid before departing the ship. Once home, you can file for reimbursement from travel(medical) insurance, if you purchased it.

Not according to my insurance. The company has a Miami address and that is what they look at.

On my last cruise, I didn't have the best experience with our doc. I came down with an odd rash on my feet, hands and in my nose. It burned so bad that I was up all night icing my hands and feet. I tried looking some stuff up online and all I found was some odd stuff about a nickel allergic reaction looking like what I had.

I finally went to the medical center when they opened that morning. The nurse (?) said it was an allergic reaction and gave me benadryl and a steriod cream. Few hours went by and nothing.

So I went back and she had me meet with the Dr. He looked at my hands and feet and said I had chicken pox. I told him that I had a full blown case as a child and didn't think I could get it again. He then said it was shingles and prescribed me some meds and let me go. I was freaking out a little because not 2 days earlier my niece was born and I held her so I called home to give me brother a heads up.

Right after I hung up, the Dr. calls me and asks that I come back down. I walk into his office and he has GOOGLE open to the same search I did earlier that night and says I have an allergic reaction to nickel. I tell him that sounds odd to me but he's the doc so I go with it. He also tells me to stop taking what he gave me earlier because it will just make it worse.

So I go thru the whole cruise with this weird stuff on my hands and feet (and in my nose). The pain finally eased up about day 3.

When we get back, I go to my regular PCP and he tells me that I have (had at this point really) Hand, Foot, Mouth disease. He got a real big kick out of what the ship doc told me and said that he's have a hard time trusting a cruise doctor.

Not according to my insurance. The company has a Miami address and that is what they look at.

That's why I recommend that people check with their individual carriers, as to whether or not they will be covered. Some medical coverages cover no matter where you are. Many US plans (including Medicare) do not cover out of country.

I had friends on an Alaskan cruise who needed to see the doctor, and get some medical care onboard. Once they ported, in Juneau, they were transferred to the hospital there. When they got home, they submitted their medical costs to the travel insurance they had and were informed that they needed to submit to their "regular" medical plan first. So, when they did, they found that all costs that were incurred at the land based hospital were covered by their regular plan (US port), but the costs they had to pay on board were denied. Then they re-submitted, with the proof of denial from their health plan company, to the travel insurance company. All the denied costs (onboard - out of country) were covered and paid.

Edited by Shmoo here

Just curious what kind of onboard medical services are offered. We are sailing tomororw and strep throat is running rampant in our area. My kids are fine (knock on wood) but just concerned if it develops onboard.

Can the doctor test for something like that? Can he prescibe antibiotics? Are they available onboard?

Just wondering.

Karyn

Hi

Yes Ab are available on board. Most doctors are probably reluctant to prescribe for sore throat due to it being a self limiting condition and mostly caused by virus (although I appreciate you mentioned strep). If cost is a problem, try gargling. If the patient is not asthmatic or over 16, can gargle with soluble aspirin. Otherwise gargle with soluble paracetamol or even salt in warm water may help. And stock up on lozenges which you can buy from pharmacies before you board the ship.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

My kids are not ill (knock on wood). My ped did fill a prescription for them just in case. Before you flame, please know they are not a practice that prescribes for a virus. I know many parents who bring a sick child to the doctor and are not happy unless they walk out with a prescription (even if it won't help). My ped won't do that and I would never ask.

Under the following circumstances, they gave the script:

Out of country and not certain of what would be available

Lots of strep going around

They know me. I know my kids symptoms. I always diagnose strep even when they don't think they have it. I bring so early.

Again, I have no intention of using this. We don't overuse antibiotics. Both of my kids had strep already this winter so I'm hoping whatever is going around they have immunity too.

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone for your responses!

My kids are not ill (knock on wood). My ped did fill a prescription for them just in case. Before you flame, please know they are not a practice that prescribes for a virus. I know many parents who bring a sick child to the doctor and are not happy unless they walk out with a prescription (even if it won't help). My ped won't do that and I would never ask.

Under the following circumstances, they gave the script:

Out of country and not certain of what would be available

Lots of strep going around

They know me. I know my kids symptoms. I always diagnose strep even when they don't think they have it. I bring so early.

Again, I have no intention of using this. We don't overuse antibiotics. Both of my kids had strep already this winter so I'm hoping whatever is going around they have immunity too.

Thanks again!

Sounds like you have a good relationship with your Ped. and are good to go! I'm like you, very cautious about overusing antibiotics, but have a relationship of respect with our pediatrician and have accepted several "just in case" prescriptions. Almost all have gone unused but I appreciate his trust. Hope your family enjoys a great cruise!

My teenage daughter had one of those heavy balcony doors slammed on her finger. I was scared to death to take her there thinking it would cost us a fortune. They X-ray'd, bruned a hole in the nail to drain the blood and relieve pressure, gave her an antibiotic and pain killers along with a morphoine injection to kill the pain and nerve blocks in her finger

Same story here, except I am far from my teenage years. I was coming in the back door of the Steak House to look around and trying not to let the door slam. Well the last 2 inches it went BAM and got the tip of my middle finger on my left hand. Same treatment with no x-rays, or medications -- and No charge.

Onboard they do not have the variety of antibiotics availble as onshore. I'd rather have an antibiotic I know I can handle, even waiting for another Dr's OK.

When we've received JIC antibiotics from the Dr we always were told what to look out for. Sometimes we didn't use them then but was able to use it at other times, when needed.

FWIW, many of the problems come from people starting the antibiotic then not finishing the round of treatment.

Edited by SadieN

Just wondering.

Karyn

I'm in Family Practice Physician & I toured a Carnival ship medical department with the intent of deciding if I wanted to apply for a job. Their facility is very well equipped. They are essentially set up like an emergency room with xray and lab and an additional two or three bed ICU complete with all the emergency medications, defibrillators, ventilators, and basic surgical equipment. They have a fairly comprehensive pharmacy. Probably as much or more than you would find it in any local home town pharmacy. They have computerized medical records and the ability to access the usual medical sites for reference materials. I ended up deciding that ship employment was not for me because they basically expect their physician to act as the Family Physician of all of the employees, an emergency room physician for all of the passenger and must be capable and competent as well to function as an ICU physician if the need arises.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Check with your insurance co. before you travel to see if they cover out of country medical. I thought my insurance didn't cover it, but was pleasantly surprised it did. When I had to make a claim, I had to submit an International Claim Form.

Doctors prescribe antibiotics like that all the time. Esp for those who have medical problems. Many immune suppressed people for instance those who are just off chemo or children who always get swimmers ear or frequent ear infections can get antibiotics to take in case they have symptoms when they are traveling esp when out of the country.

debkjw