Does RCCL price match on Happy Hour specials?

Does anyone know if RCCL will honor a request to drop the price paid on an individual (not part of a group) booking that is sailing within 30 days of departure and is already paid in full- if they are offering a 'happy hour' special on that sailing?

I spoke to a RCCL rep and was told that these 'happy hour' specials are listed as valid for new individual bookings only. The booking is obviously not new- and it is not cost effective to cancel and rebook due to 50% penalty. She suggested that I call back during the special- and of course I will... just wondering if anyone has had any prior experience with this.

Seemed odd that she didn't know, but a bit promising that she thought I had a shot at it.

You always hear "Don't wait, book early and if prices drop you can call the cruiseline and get them to lower your price to match." I will be so disappointed if that isn't the case this time... and it will certainly make a case for people who believe in waiting until the last minute to book.

Any help is appreciated.

No, they will not price match on happy hour specials, those are for new bookings only.

SOMETIMES that sailings that are on happy hour specials will have permanent fare code reductions, and you CAN get those credited back to you, but happy hour specials are explicitly for new bookings only.

And if you search this board you'll find a whole bunch of recent threads on this subject. ;)

Thanks for the info. I guess that is why they offer the rates when the penalty period goes to 50%.

I did try to look back, but gave up after searching back 5 pages (I get sidetracked reading other interesting tidbits- and it took me an hour, LOL ;)

Had no luck with search function either- said I wasn't subscribed to a forum... not sure what that meant.

I thank you again for taking the time to respond!

Thanks! After Ella2's response I wanted to try and find the posts she referred to and found the correct search feature- previously I used the one on the blue bar on top... didn't see the one within the forum. Makes sense now and found the posts quickly. Sorry about asking a question that was so recently addressed- I know it can get repetitive (and a bit annoying) to people who cruise often and frequent the boards on a regular basis.

I generally come to the boards a few months prior to sailing and it's hard to remember certain things about the board (or if they have changed a bit) since my last visit here early last year.

I see it lists I have only posted a few times- but I know I had many posts in years past. I guess the # drops off after a certain amt of time. There's always something new to learn- keeps it interesting, I guess.

Again, thanks for the info Merion Mom and my apologies to all for being repetitive.

Does anyone know if RCCL will honor a request to drop the price paid on an individual (not part of a group) booking that is sailing within 30 days of departure and is already paid in full- if they are offering a 'happy hour' special on that sailing?

I spoke to a RCCL rep and was told that these 'happy hour' specials are listed as valid for new individual bookings only. The booking is obviously not new- and it is not cost effective to cancel and rebook due to 50% penalty. She suggested that I call back during the special- and of course I will... just wondering if anyone has had any prior experience with this.

Seemed odd that she didn't know, but a bit promising that she thought I had a shot at it.

You always hear "Don't wait, book early and if prices drop you can call the cruiseline and get them to lower your price to match." I will be so disappointed if that isn't the case this time... and it will certainly make a case for people who believe in waiting until the last minute to book.

Any help is appreciated.

Won't drop the price, but in a few days or a week the happy hr rate will expire, but the price mat still be the same. Keep checking.

This is how the "game" works. Over price your cruises and get as many customers to book at the over inflated prices as possible. About a month or so before sailing, drop the prices by 40% (happy hour specials) to the level they should have been at from the beginning in an attempt to fill the unsold cabins, while at the same time refusing to refund the difference to the people who booked at the over inflated prices. Thus angering the customers who over paid. It's really not that complicated but can't work over the long term as people will wise up to the "game" eventually.

Well, Kewlguy is right, that is the way the "game" works, but it is the same "game" played in almost any retail situation. When I see a really neat shirt at the department store, I may think it's overpriced...so I decide to wait until it goes on sale...and when the store gets down to the last half-dozen shirts in that particular line, they may reduce the price. Will the one I want still be there? Who knows. If I want the best selection or want to be sure of getting the shirt I want, I'm going to have to buy it when I see it. And yet, no one would suggest that I go back to the store three months after I've bought the shirt I want and ask them to refund the difference between what I paid for my shirt and what they're selling the shirt for now.

Or shall we talk about auto dealers and rebates? I bought this car two months before the rebate started...and now I want the dealer to pay me the current rebate. Yes, that's going to happen!

Nobody is trying to cheat anyone. Pricing strategies are carefully studied and persist because they work. If a grocer doesn't make his margin on dry goods, then he makes it up on produce or he goes out of business.

Welcome to the real world, where's there no such thing as a free lunch.

All I know is I will be booking exclusively "happy hour" specials in the future. What exactly is the benefit of booking early with this new system when Royal blows out the cabins a month before sailing? Think about the money Royal would lose in "float" if everyone did what I will be doing.

People who book early should be rewarded, not penalized.

The benefit is that you get what you want for when you want it. Not every sailing has Happy Hour specials and not every category is available even if a Happy Hour is on a sailing.

If you can do impromptu sailing, then Happy Hours provide a great opportunity to save money, just like standby airfares.

Just like buying that shirt...if I'm not fussy, I'll probably buy my shirts for half-price.

I'm not fussy. I'd pay half price and could care less what cabin I'm in. Yes, I can sail on short notice since I don't work for anyone. I like "happy hour" specials, just don't see the logic of angering the poor souls who booked early.

On my Horizon cruise last October, I booked two weeks before sailing (happy hour) for about 50% less than the price had originally been. I spoke to an elderly couple who had booked months previous and paid full price for the same cabin category we had. He had mentioned what he had paid for the cabin (No, I didn't ask) and I wasn't about to tell him what we paid. I don't enjoy ruining people's vacations.

Has it escaped everyones attention that these Happy Hour specials are being run for cruises during hurricane season????

After the bad season last year and the rough start this year - people are understandably cautious and not booking - they have to fill up the ships so they are running specials.

Has it escaped everyones attention that these Happy Hour specials are being run for cruises during hurricane season????

After the bad season last year and the rough start this year - people are understandably cautious and not booking - they have to fill up the ships so they are running specials.

Happy hr specials have been going on for a long time, not just hurricane season. They are typically for cruises 2-8 weeks away.

as previously mentioned.....

Happy Hour advanatges: cheaper rate than probably almost anybody else

Happy Hour disadvanatges:not for every sailing/only certain types of cabins and not normally ideal locations

Bottom line as mentioned--->if you can sail "last minute"...don't care what type of cabin as well as you don't care which ship you go or what date...this is for you (and for the cruiseline)

the competition does the same thing--->'flash fares'

I'm not fussy. I'd pay half price and could care less what cabin I'm in. Yes, I can sail on short notice since I don't work for anyone. I like "happy hour" specials, just don't see the logic of angering the poor souls who booked early.

The poor souls who booked early didn't have to. I book early because I want a specific date with a specific room. That is why most book early.

I recently booked a cheapie cruise on the Summit with friends. We are on deck 8 and they are on deck 2. That is the downfall of booking late. No cabin choices. You win some and you lose some. That is just the way the cookie crumbles. :)

One more thing. Booking earlly guarantees you a spot on the ship. Some do sell out.

Jill

I think what one of the previous posters above was trying to point out is once the Happy Hour special is over, if they still haven't sold the cabins, then that's the "sale / special" price that goes out on the advertisements and email newsletters.

By waiting until it goes past the Happy Hour (which is usually one or two Tuesday or Thursday specials), you can see if it's being offered at a reduced price. THAT'S when you ask for the difference in price as as refund or shipboard credit.

Booking early doesn't guarantee the lowest price, but it guarantees the location. Then you watch the price. Happy Hour is only one of many sales techniques.

from the website of an internet TA, posted under the graph of the Happy Hour Specials:

Restrictions: The Happy Hour Program is valid for new bookings only. Rates include cruise fare and port charges only. Is not combinable with any other promotion and does not count towards tour conductor credits. Prices are quoted in US dollars as noted. Prices are per person, based on double occupancy, and are cruise-only which may be combinable with "Breakthrough" or "Five Star Air" when stated. This offer is based on cabin availability and may be withdrawn at any time. Certain restrictions apply. Government taxes and fees are extra. Re-pricing on current bookings is NOT available. Space is limited and based on availability.

Cruise411 is not responsible for any rate and/or availability changes.

Archived