Misty Fjord - Independent Tour options?

After reading countless threads on this board, it seems like "Misty Fjord by Floatplane" is the must-do item here. Unfortunately, it's sold out for our sailing. Does anyone know if there are any independent tour options that will give you the same experience?

Alternatively, are there any other recommendations for what to do at the Ketchikan stop?

After reading countless threads on this board, it seems like "Misty Fjord by Floatplane" is the must-do item here. Unfortunately, it's sold out for our sailing. Does anyone know if there are any independent tour options that will give you the same experience?

Alternatively, are there any other recommendations for what to do at the Ketchikan stop?

Last year we did the "Misty Fjord and Wilderness Explorer". I can't compare it to the floatplane tour, since I haven't done it, but did really really like the trip to the fjord via boat. Got to see a lot more of the countryside around Ketchikan, learned a lot about the local region from the on-board staff and the videos, and also got to see the spectacular fjords.

We were in Ketchikan before the included excursion days. We just walked off the ship, and there were guys there with signs for different tours, including to Misty Fjord. We did the boat both ways, but ideally it would be best to do the boat one way and the floatplane the other. We didn't mainly because of cost (our 2 boys were with us). It was still a great tour, but the boat ride both ways is a bit long.

Like Rachel, we thought the Misty Fjords by boat was a bit long

I did too Tina, but it was still very nice, we saw other sights, and got commentary. The boat was very comfortable, and they gave us hot chocolate and salmon snacks. We saw planes landing in the fjord, but saw no one able to get out--that would be my concern.

While hardly the "float plane" my daughter and I did the "catch your fish, then they cook it at a wilderness campsite" tour....haha....I forget the actual name of it. It was WONDERFUL! One of the highlights of our cruise. I was so impressed with our guide, the boat, even our supplied foulies were of the highest quality...all Helly Hansen. We went with another couple and had a ball. We all caught "rock fish" and didn't have any luck getting the much prized halibut. Saw bears from the boat, fed eagles the cleanings from our fish, etc. We were taken to the most beautiful campsite where our fish was cleaned, wonderful lunch prepared for us. Best guides ever! It helps you're an outdoorsy type, but even those who where not had a blast! Highly recommend it!