Ceiling Fans or noise level on Oasis

Hi folks,

I'm going on my very first cruise on the 31st of May on the Oasis and I'm wondering what's available (if anything) to make white noise in the interior state rooms. I'm a VERY light sleeper and I almost always need a fan going in order to stay asleep, so it would be ideal if the rooms had one. Or maybe there is a ceiling fan in the washroom...

Any insight you can give is much appreciated!

Hi folks,

I'm going on my very first cruise on the 31st of May on the Oasis and I'm wondering what's available (if anything) to make white noise in the interior state rooms. I'm a VERY light sleeper and I almost always need a fan going in order to stay asleep, so it would be ideal if the rooms had one. Or maybe there is a ceiling fan in the washroom...

I would suggest you a white noise alarm clock (con-aire has an inexpensive one). I have one and use it whenever I travel. If you have an iPhone or iPad , there are white noise programs also available.

As well as the noise, I like to have a fan blowing.

I ordered this one from Amazon. It takes 2 D batteries and mine lasts the entire week on 1 set if I keep it on low. The fan itself weighs almost nothing.

So you get the noise as well as the blowing air.

http://www.amazon.com/O2-Cool-FD05004-Portable-Battery-Operated/dp/B001AVMSEY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397360444&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+operated+fan

On the Allure, we had a noise machine, fan, and CPAP machine going, and I STILL heard nothing but clanging noises from roughly 7:00-9:30ish every morning. We are very light sleepers and we like to sleep until at least 11:00. Not possible on a cruise. Every closet door, cabin door, or balcony door within what sounded like a fairly large radius can be heard. That's not even throwing the cabin stewards cleaning into the mix.

I sleep pretty well during the early morning hours (think 12:00-5:00), but once the clanging starts as people start getting ready for the day, it seems like it never stops. If you are an early riser, you'll be fine. But if you think you're sleeping until noon, forget about it.

You can find a slim travel fan at Bed Bath Beyond, Target, Walmart; etc. It will run off of D batteries OR off a plug in power supply (included). I think the brand is 02 Cool. Works great. Fits in luggage easily. Take it everywhere now when we travel.

Hi folks,

A couple of tips from someone with a similar case of overactive hearing. ;) :

- As mentioned above, if you have almost any type of smart phone - iPhone, Android or Windows - there are free white noise apps available, some with timers if you just need help getting to sleep, or others that will stay on all night. Just remember to have your phone in airplane mode and wi-fi off so you don't get any unexpected charges on your cell phone bill when you get home - Cellular at Sea can be expensive ($2.50 per minute with ATT, for example.) Also remember to plug your phone in on its charger, of course.

- There are inexpensive alarm clocks that include white noise/nature sound effects available. Check Amazon. Tip: Get one with "red" LED readout or something similar that stays lit all night, so it can double as a "glance at the time" clock in the darkened room. This helps tremendously, at least to me, when I wake up with no sense of time in the middle of the night, especially in an interior cabin.

- Do you sleep on your back or often on your side? If mainly on your back, then you can supplement your white noise solution with soft disposable ear plugs (buy before you leave home). However, some - like myself - cannot handle these when laying on their side. The pressure bothers the ears. Same can also be said for in-ear headphones, which you can use with your phone or white noise clock/machine and their headphone jacks if you have a partner who simply cannot sleep with the white noise you desperately need to snooze (I speak from 25 years of experience with a tolerant wife who hasn't destroyed too many of my "hiss machines"... :D)

- One last tip: watch what you eat and drink (try not to eat at least an hour before going to bed, and absolutely NO caffeine within 2 or 3 hours - though I have a bonus tip about that below), and also try to stay up as late as you can before going to bed, so you are good an tired. It will help.

- Bonus tip: Read this on the internet (stop laughing and/or rolling your eyes), but it worked for me - take a caffeine pill (like no doze) right before you go to bed. Believe it or not, the caffeine will actually "wait" in your system until you wake up. It will not impact your ability to go to sleep or stay asleep. And when you wake up in the morning, you'd be surprised how quickly you become wide awake. It's like "pre-loading" your morning coffee. HOWEVER, here is the caveat: if you DO wake up in the middle of the night, the caffeine WILL kick in and you may have a hard time getting back to sleep. As with all things, just because this worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for you, so consider this something you might want to try at home.

I hope those helped a little bit. Have a great tip, and happy napping! :)

Another suggestion is to use the television to make noise....turn it to a channel that doesn't have any programing. If the light bothers you, throw a towel or blanket over it.

My sister turns the television to the bridge cam channel and they play instrumental music on that channel and it lets her know if it's light or dark outside, where the ship is heading and it helps her sleep.

just leave the balcony door a little open and listen to the waves?

NOPE.

one the doors are EXTREMELY Heavy. two, it creates a wind tunnel effect especially while the ship is underway. three, it automatically shuts off the A/c while the door is open

NOPE.

one the doors are EXTREMELY Heavy. two, it creates a wind tunnel effect especially while the ship is underway. three, it automatically shuts off the A/c while the door is open

Four, they're in an inside stateroom.