Beverage Card and Happy Hour?

SilvertoGold

Wondering the current status of using a Beverage card at Happy Hour.

This would be one I buy myself, not a gift or promo, if that makes a difference.

In the past it seems that some ships allowed you to use the Bev Card, some not. Now that there is no "discount" on the card, I think it should not be a problem to use it like cash for anything, anywhere.

Thanks!

This would be one I buy myself, not a gift or promo, if that makes a difference.

In the past it seems that some ships allowed you to use the Bev Card, some not. Now that there is no "discount" on the card, I think it should not be a problem to use it like cash for anything, anywhere.

Thanks!

It does indeed make a difference. As long as it is the regular beverage card that you bought (not Explore4, or whatever) then it is no problem.

We used our beverage cards at happy hour (not quite two for one, buy one and get one for a dollar) just last week on the Maasdam with no problem and the same on the Prinsendam a bit earlier last year. I don't recall an issue with a regular beverage card. It's the promos that are the issue to the best of my knowledge.

You should be just fine IMO :)

Isn't the Signature Beverage Card the one that has the limits of so many drinks per day and nothing over $7 as well as no Premium alcohols and only house wines?

Yes, that's the one. DBIL discusses the differences exhaustively here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1999316

Anyway, the beverage card (free or not, Explore4 or not) is eligible for happy hour. It's just the SBP card that is not.

Thanks, everyone.

We'll buy a couple of Bev Cards: makes thing a lot easier.

That's what we have done on our past HAL cruises. It less receipts to keep track and you can pre-purchase so that your on-board expenses aren't so overwhelming.

We have used the beverage cards successfully on all of our cruises, there was never a hiccup at happy hour in the Crow's nest. I even bought a bottle of wine in the MDR using my beverage card- although a caveat here- the server hesitated and seemed to indicate that I couldn't do it and I said why not? Money is money. The bottle of wine appeared shortly thereafter.

Thanks!

We just were on the Zuiderdam last week and had no problems usuing the Beverage Card during Happy Hour. I don't think it matters who's dollars are used to purchase the card.

Ray in NH