Carnival Victory - Awoken by water out of ceiling

SconnieMom

OP, welcome to CC as being relatively new. These stories happened & get posted from time to time but far worst things happened to unlucky folks on cruise ships, think about those poor pax on 2 other lines hit by the nasty Noro-virus. Who are they going to blame & ask compensation for ???

Sorry to hear of the cabin problems above yours, which I'm reasonably sured that CCL or any other cruiselines do not conspire or intend to caused nor wanted to see happen to their guests, that's you. Not here to defend CCL nor to troll, just offering a somewhat different perspective. It stinks & smells, unpleasant but hopefully nobody exposed to any sort of biohazards from fluids/waste - that crew members from houskeeping and/or maintenance had to deal with & cleanup as their duties in restoring the cabins to working conditions in good order.

Unless it's bursted brown/black water plumbing caused by inadequate maintenance, it's most likely resulting from your fellow guests cruising on the same ship living above your deck or floor that clogged the pipes, throwing things inside to jam it with the resulting nasty backup. I would be upset and mad but vent at whoever it was responsible for damaging the ceiling with the understanding that CCL is doing their best to fix the problem - and, did come up with a cabin for your use.

It's Spring break time and most cruise ships, if not all, are sailing 100% capacity and full - unlike Vegas and we've been there many times as well - you are sailing in the middle of the ocean and if there are no vacant/spare/unfilled cabins, they simply cannot relocate you or bump your neighbors out of their cabins next door, as it's likely to "slightly" smell a bit if that nasty stuff were all over the ceiling. Be realistic in faulting ship's management for not coming up with 2 adjacent cabins to relocate you that's they are not likely negligent or responsible for causing the yellow/brown/black water falling into the cabin(s).

Signs are usually posted & reminders given to passengers to not throw anything into the toilet or sink unless they are 100% biodegradeable as up to 50 cabins will be affected.

As suggested by others above, contact the corporate office with the facts and request a review of the offer - and, hopefully, they will offer additional "goodwills" to retain you as a future passenger, etc. Sounding angry and threatening to pose video aren't going to get you anywhere, be a little more realistic is what some of our fellowe CC's are saying.

Well, there's always small claims court ... after reading the terms/contracts or fine prints in your cruise documents. Good luck.

Edited by mking8288

Go ahead and post your video. Meanwhile, Carnival will continue selling out their cabins. Negative reviews may hurt the local restaurant, but the big dogs will always win. Think of everything negative you have ever heard about WalMart. They are doing better than ok. I am on board with the ship's compensation was fair. Meanwhile, getting mad at other people for not agreeing with you doesn't help your case as being reasonable with the ship.

We had a similar thing (water dripping/then pouring from ceiling) on NCL.

They offered us 2 options:

1. Let them fix the problem or

2. Move to a different room.

We looked at the different room but found it was a lower cabin classification and was not an acceptable option to us. So we let them work on our cabin and within 4 hours the problem was fixed.

We got a bottle of wine for our inconvenience and were fine with that. We know that stuff happens, just like at home. At least my poor DH didn't have to fix it, like he does at home.

What compensation do YOU want/think is fair?

If you want help from these forum members, I suggest that you post the video to show what was happening so that we have a fuller and clearer picture. Or maybe you just needed to vent and don't want our help.

I expect at minimum they offer full day for our entire group, I would be satisfied with more. I work in customer experience and brand market research. I know the power/worth of negative buzz on the internet. They do too. The inverse it's also true. "Wow" me and gain benefits of me telling everyone how satisfied I was with the above and beyond resolution.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sounds like u need a good "Wowing"

I'm not mad. And you're wrong. The negative press dies hurt our these boards wouldn't exist.

These boards actually exist to help people that have questions and for those that like to share their knowledge and love of cruising. But as of late, it seems like just a bunch of whining.

Oh, and may I suggest that if you're going to write a letter, that you use correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Because when you don't, it just degrades your rant even more.

More than the minimum. That is offering me nothing as a makeup for falling short of what was promised, a bad experience, etc. To make right they should over compensate for it. But you must realize that and are trolling.

Wow. Being called a troll by someone with less than 30 posts, and is complaining and trying to get something for nothing. Amazing.

As I said originally, and others have agreed with, you were compensated fairly. You weren't in Vegas, you were on a cruise ship with limited resources and they moved you to a new room. Why should they credit you anything? You paid for a room and got a room, and they credited you for the inconvenience of moving to it. What good will posting your video anywhere do? You had a leak, they moved you and did what they could to fix it. They didn't let it continue to leak on your children or their belongings. I really don't get what your beef is.

I expect at minimum they offer full day for our entire group

I think that's a pretty high and unreasonable expectation. If that is what you feel is fair, then of course you will have to negotiate for it.

I am fine with the notion that they do something to make this right to the guests in the cabin, but why the entire group? And they did what was possible (move the affected guests to another room) and they did offer compensation commensurate with what they felt was adequate.

Let me ask you; what if you had booked 5 cabins and had a group of 10 or 12? Would you still feel everyone in the group should be refunded a full day? I'm just trying to understand why you feel they should overcompensate you (by your own words) and what you had "lost". Sure it is inconvenient and no one wants a water leak in their cabin, but IMO Carnival did right.

If it were me I'd expect an equal cabin to what I had booked in good working order; anything else is a good faith gesture by the line for my inconvenience and time. Realistically speaking, Carnival is going to move all your items for you, so dealing with guest services should not really take more than 45 - 60 minutes when all is said and done, IMO. Longer than that shows that there is an argument going on; otherwise why would it be an all day process?

I don't necessarily want to come out and blame/ bash you for asking for more; I just don't understand why you want what you want. An unfortunate event is not always a reason for a windfall.

Wow. Being called a troll by someone with less than 30 posts, and is complaining and trying to get something for nothing. Amazing.

As I said originally, and others have agreed with, you were compensated fairly. You weren't in Vegas, you were on a cruise ship with limited resources and they moved you to a new room. Why should they credit you anything? You paid for a room and got a room, and they credited you for the inconvenience of moving to it. What good will posting your video anywhere do? You had a leak, they moved you and did what they could to fix it. They didn't let it continue to leak on your children or their belongings. I really don't get what your beef is.

Beat me by a few seconds. My post just above basically has me in 100% agreement with you.

OP, welcome to CC as being relatively new. These stories happened & get posted from time to time but far worst things happened to unlucky folks on cruise ships, think about those poor pax on 2 other lines hit by the nasty Noro-virus. Who are they going to blame & ask compensation for ???

Sorry to hear of the cabin problems above yours, which I'm reasonably sured that CCL or any other cruiselines do not conspire or intend to caused nor wanted to see happen to their guests, that's you. Not here to defend CCL nor to troll, just offering a somewhat different perspective. It stinks & smells, unpleasant but hopefully nobody exposed to any sort of biohazards from fluids/waste - that crew members from houskeeping and/or maintenance had to deal with & cleanup as their duties in restoring the cabins to working conditions in good order.

Unless it's bursted brown/black water plumbing caused by inadequate maintenance, it's most likely resulting from your fellow guests cruising on the same ship living above your deck or floor that clogged the pipes, throwing things inside to jam it with the resulting nasty backup. I would be upset and mad but vent at whoever it was responsible for damaging the ceiling with the understanding that CCL is doing their best to fix the problem - and, did come up with a cabin for your use.

It's Spring break time and most cruise ships, if not all, are sailing 100% capacity and full - unlike Vegas and we've been there many times as well - you are sailing in the middle of the ocean and if there are no vacant/spare/unfilled cabins, they simply cannot relocate you or bump your neighbors out of their cabins next door, as it's likely to "slightly" smell a bit if that nasty stuff were all over the ceiling. Be realistic in faulting ship's management for not coming up with 2 adjacent cabins to relocate you that's they are not likely negligent or responsible for causing the yellow/brown/black water falling into the cabin(s).

Signs are usually posted & reminders given to passengers to not throw anything into the toilet or sink unless they are 100% biodegradeable as up to 50 cabins will be affected.

As suggested by others above, contact the corporate office with the facts and request a review of the offer - and, hopefully, they will offer additional "goodwills" to retain you as a future passenger, etc. Sounding angry and threatening to pose video aren't going to get you anywhere, be a little more realistic is what some of our fellowe CC's are saying.

Well, there's always small claims court ... after reading the terms/contracts or fine prints in your cruise documents. Good luck.

Just because the cruise lines are doing the best they can to fix an issue such as this does not mean that the passengers should be just ok with minimal offerings. I mean some people book early ,pay full price ,pick the location and /or cabin(s) that they want for whatever reason and to be moved away from what they paid for and offered a days rate back is nothing.Some people can only vacation every few years and their vacation time (even one day) is precious time to some and planned out.

We were moved while we were on our honeymoon several times between our originally booked cabin and a cabin at the rear of the ship and the issue was never fixed (we had friends left in our cabin by the family before us) we were compensated well only after I spoke with the head purser and not just someone at the pursers desk. Issues onboard should be able to be fixed onboard and not blown off until one "calls the headquarters in Miami"

What would be the something for nothing !!!

Having to pack and unpack several times and spend ones vacation moving cabins and missing vacation !!!

Its amazing how most people think this issue should be sucked up by the consumer

What would be the something for nothing !!!

Having to pack and unpack several times and spend ones vacation moving cabins and missing vacation !!!

Its amazing how most people think this issue should be sucked up by the consumer

But she didn't "suck it up." She was on the last day of the cruise, moved once. Not several times. She was compensated.

These boards actually exist to help people that have questions and for those that like to share their knowledge and love of cruising. But as of late, it seems like just a bunch of whining.

Oh, and may I suggest that if you're going to write a letter, that you use correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Because when you don't, it just degrades your rant even more.

Couldn't agree more. I have found much valuable information on these board that has saved me lots of money and enhanced my cruising experience.

That being said, it is amusing to see how much people can whine.

[quote name='irishnyc']But she didn't "suck it up." She was on the last day of the cruise, moved once. Not several times. She was compensated.[/QUOTE]

But even being moved the last sea day am I the only one who thinks that crediting 2 HALF days is not appropriate !! I would rather have my sea day than $100 or $200

[quote name='mikel24m']What would be the something for nothing !!!

Its amazing how most people think this issue should be sucked up by the consumer[/quote]

I don't think the consumer should suck up the issue, I am asking why the entire group needs to be refunded a full days worth in this case. 2 people effected, 2 people compensated. Again, what if it was a group of 10, 20, 50 people? Does everyone in the group deserve compensation? There is always a tipping point between what is fair, what is generous, and what is downright unreasonable to expect. Right now OP is in the MORE! NOW! MORE! NOW! crowd but I am extending the courtesy to see if there is solid rationale behind their expectations that maybe I just am not thinking of.

Whether or not someone planned for years for their one and only trip in a decade, or someone booked last minute and goes every other week is immaterial completely. Everyone deserves to be treated fairly and get what they pay for, so that whole line of argument just doesn't wash with me.

[quote name='SconnieMom']I expect at minimum they offer full day for our entire group, I would be satisfied with more. I work in customer experience and brand market research. I know the power/worth of negative buzz on the internet. They do too. The inverse it's also true. "Wow" me and gain benefits of me telling everyone how satisfied I was with the above and beyond resolution.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it's already too late for that.

[quote name='SconnieMom']I expect at minimum they offer full day for our entire group, I would be satisfied with more. I work in customer experience and brand market research. I know the power/worth of negative buzz on the internet. They do too. The inverse it's also true. "Wow" me and gain benefits of me telling everyone how satisfied I was with the above and beyond resolution.

While I do think they could have done more it sounds like you expected the entire trip to be compensated. Why should they comp an entire day for both rooms when only one was affected?

You can threaten them all you want with posting the video online. Honestly carnival has had MUCH worse publicity in the last few years. I doubt they are concerned with your video.

I am far from a cheerleader for any line but you act like having some water fall on your daughter is catastrophic. Yes it stinks but is far from the event you are making it to be.

[quote name='SconnieMom']Just off the Carnival Victory. I'm awoken by my teenage daughter in a panic at my door. SHE in turn had been awoken by water raining down on her out of the ceiling speaker in her cabin next door.

In the end a steady stream of water was coming out of the speaker as well as both corners of the rooms ceiling. We had to move the two of our family staying in that room into our other interior cabin while I dealt with the crew sent to handle the situation.

I have video on my smartphone of everything, up to the point where a senior member of the 5 people dealing with the situation said over a phone "Yes, he is here recording the room on his phone. I will call you back." He walked away down the hall to continue his call. From then on they would try to keep the door closed to the room when I was around. No matter as I had already gotten full video of the situation, including them having to clear all furniture out and rip open the ceiling, and the colored water in the trash bin my daughter had placed to catch the water coming into the room (she likely saved them carpet replacement costs, as they were plastic wrapping the floor a couple hours later to protect it).

I spoke to guest services and they were originally going to try to fix the room. Then they eventually told us they could only relocate 2 of us to a room at the far end of the deck, so our family of 4 no longer had neighboring rooms and we spent the greater part of our at sea day home to MIA dealing with the situation. All guest services was willing to offer was a half day's cabin cost for 2 guests as a credit. This was/is not to my satisfaction and if not resolved better in the near future you'll be able to find the above mentioned video anywhere that can alert others to how poorly they handled the situation.[/QUOTE]

Did they offer you a future cruise credit?

[quote name='SconnieMom']I'm not mad. And you're wrong. The negative press dies hurt our these boards wouldn't exist.

I think a ship sailing without electricity or running water for days is much worse then your problem. Yet it hasn't hurt carnival. Unfortunately stuff happens even when on vacation. They won't have any bad press from your small issue. They are too big a company and this is too small an issue.

I think she should refund the days you moved to a different cabin for the 2 in the cabin that was misplaced the cost of the cabin because they still ate and used the ships facilities.. And nobody likes to be video tapped.. Even police officers. Try and video tape a DUI check point or normal traffic stop and see what happens

just my 02 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[quote name='BeachChik']I think a ship sailing without electricity or running water for days is much worse then your problem. Yet it hasn't hurt carnival. [/quote]

Actually those events were pretty devastating from a business point of view. I think it's wrong to dismiss those events as not hurting Carnival.

Anyway, back to OP, someone mentioned future cruise credit. Write a letter to the head office without being so belligerent and they may issue you one.

As for the person stating you'd rather have the Sea Day than the money. Well, duh. That was the original intent. Everyone would probably prefer to have the sea day and NOT deal with any issues at all. But it's a ship, not a DeLorean, so no going back in time to reclaim that sea day. And OP has clearly stated that they really aren't all that interested in the sea day, they WOULD rather have the money. It's always about the money.

When I had an issue on a cruise, the cruise line rectified it and without my asking issued me a future cruise credit. It was a great gesture. I didn't waste my sea day dealing with any aspect of it. I was with a group of 15. Never occurred to me they should have gotten a slice of the pie too:confused: