Cash for a Baltic cruise

Mudhen

We have a fair amount of euros left from a previous trip to the Med. I realize that Estonia and Finland are on the euro system, but what about some of these others? Sweden?, Norway?, Denmark?, Russia?. Will they accept Euros? We will use a credit card for anything sizable, but would like to have a little "walking around money". Will the ship change small amounts of US or euros into the local currency? We prefer not using ATM's, if at all possible.

I have just been working on "cheat sheets" on the different currencies. They are great to take along when you are shopping. Here is a link http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/ . The cheat sheet is a tab about 1/3 down the sheet. The currencies are:

Norway - Norwegian Krone

Lithuania - Lita

Denmark - Danish Krone

Sweden - Swedish Krona

Russia - Russian Rouble

Edited by Travelcat2

Thank you for the link, but that's not really what I wanted to know. I just wanted to know if some of those non euro countries will accept euros or must it be in their own currency. Can we change euros to (for example) Kroner on the ship?

Thank you for the link, but that's not really what I wanted to know. I just wanted to know if some of those non euro countries will accept euros or must it be in their own currency. Can we change euros to (for example) Kroner on the ship?

I can't imagine Sweden Finland or Norway wanting or accepting Euros--just a guess. Lithuania, probably.

Several years ago, on a family trip, we were unable to use Euros in most of these countries, but we might have been able to use US$ in some of those nations.

Otherwise get small amounts at ATMs in each nation, especially linked to your bank.

THE Money Changers have high rates and fees - BEWARE!

I can't imagine Sweden Finland or Norway wanting or accepting Euros--just a guess. Lithuania, probably.

Finland ( to my knowledge) is on the Euro system. Will figure out something for those countries who won't take euros or US.

I had no problem using euros in Lithuania. And Finland is on the euro anyway, but you definitely need danish, Norwegian, and Swedish krona. And Russian rubles though the tourist shops accept euros and US dollars.

And make sure you have a credit card with a chip and pin. Otherwise you're up a creek without a paddle in Northern Europe.

I had no problem using euros in Lithuania. And Finland is on the euro anyway, but you definitely need danish, Norwegian, and Swedish krona. And Russian rubles though the tourist shops accept euros and US dollars.

And make sure you have a credit card with a chip and pin. Otherwise you're up a creek without a paddle in Northern Europe.

ahhhh, a chip and a pin? At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, what does that mean?

Pin number? I don't believe I have that with or on any of my cards........I have no idea what a chip is........(I don't get out much.....haha!)

mudhen, a chip is something new that is imbedded into credit cards these days. I don't know about pins for credit cards, because I have no pin # for anything but my ATM, and I've never been asked for one with credit card purchases internationally. which I did just last month in Hong Kong, China, Japan and Korea. Perhaps I need some enlightening on this issue as well. I just got a new Chase Sapphire preferred that has the chip, but I was never asked to register a pin.

Edited by jhp

Your chip card should have a PIN number associated with it, if for nothing other than use at ATM machines. I don't use my PIN number in the US, but in Europe, they will ask you to type it in when you make a purchase.

A regular magnetic strip credit card does NOT work in most countries in Northern Europe these days. I found this out the hard way 2 years ago when I tried to use mine in Denmark. No way to buy train tickets without a chip card or cash. Fortunately I had cash, but it took up all my reserve.

We did the Baltic cruise 2 summers ago ...used a regular Credit card in restaurants and souvenir shops. Also used euros in all the countries for entrance fees to castles , museums etc and euros in the bigger souvenir shops...also bought a few things in a dept store in Denmark an d used regular credit card...not once anywhere were we asked for a chip/pin

Your chip card should have a PIN number associated with it, if for nothing other than use at ATM machines. I don't use my PIN number in the US, but in Europe, they will ask you to type it in when you make a purchase.

A regular magnetic strip credit card does NOT work in most countries in Northern Europe these days. I found this out the hard way 2 years ago when I tried to use mine in Denmark. No way to buy train tickets without a chip card or cash. Fortunately I had cash, but it took up all my reserve.

Thank you, RachelG. I just found this on a chip and pin google search, so I guess Chase will be sending me something later. I would hate to be away and not have my credit cards work!

The EMV cards being rolled out stateside are a bit different than those rolled out in other countries. The U.S. cards use what’s called “chip and signature” technology, while the EMV cards being issued overseas generally use “chip and PIN” technology. The chip and PIN cards require the cardholder to type in a PIN to complete a transaction, making it difficult for a thief who gets ahold of the card to use it. Although chip and signature cards still have the more-secure computer chip, they require a signature for the transaction, rather than a PIN.

Update: JPMorgan Chase announced in February 2014 that it would start issuing chip-and-PIN (not just chip-and-signature) cards later in the year.

We have a fair amount of euros left from a previous trip to the Med. I realize that Estonia and Finland are on the euro system, but what about some of these others? Sweden?, Norway?, Denmark?, Russia?. Will they accept Euros? We will use a credit card for anything sizable, but would like to have a little "walking around money". Will the ship change small amounts of US or euros into the local currency? We prefer not using ATM's, if at all possible.

Did the Northern Europe last June. Euros were readily excepted in all countries. I do not think the ship will have currency for each local country. US & Euro only.

When using a credit card make sure you have one that doesn't charge you a foreign exchange percentage on your purchases.

Thank you, RachelG. I just found this on a chip and pin google search, so I guess Chase will be sending me something later. I would hate to be away and not have my credit cards work!

The EMV cards being rolled out stateside are a bit different than those rolled out in other countries. The U.S. cards use what’s called “chip and signature” technology, while the EMV cards being issued overseas generally use “chip and PIN” technology. The chip and PIN cards require the cardholder to type in a PIN to complete a transaction, making it difficult for a thief who gets ahold of the card to use it. Although chip and signature cards still have the more-secure computer chip, they require a signature for the transaction, rather than a PIN.

Update: JPMorgan Chase announced in February 2014 that it would start issuing chip-and-PIN (not just chip-and-signature) cards later in the year.

Canada has had chip and pin for years along with wireless "tap and go" (for txn under $50). The US is one of the last countries to switch to chip + pin for credit cards. Canadian merchants still allow mag stripe txn because of the cross border nature of the two countries, but not in Europe as mentioned earlier.

We are going on RSSC voyager Baltic cruise in aug. Starting in Stockholm. Are euros readily accepted there or do you have to have local currency? Concerned about having to have a lot of different currencies and not wanting to have a lot of leftover. Advice, please.

We will be in the Baltics for 28 nights starting June 28th (Stockholm to Copenhagen) and will post live from the ship (mostly about the numerous Norwegian ports that Regent does not often visit). I will certainly let you know about currencies. In our travels we have found that countries that take Euros, dollars, etc., give a very receive a poor rate of exchange. Since we will be in Norway for quite a while, we will use an ATM and will probably do the same for Denmark and Sweden, even though we won't be spending a lot. We are not certain what we will do in Russia (3 days in St. Petersburg and one in Murmansk) because the last time we were there, our tour guide would purchase things for us and we would pay her in dollars. This time we are taking Regent tours. Will let you know on that.

We have learned not to stress out about these things. There is always money available and almost always at a better rate than we can get at home. Some of the excitement for us is determining where to get local currency and finding out if the ATM's will work with our cards. If they don't we can always get cash in U.S. dollars from Regent and exchange as much as necessary at a bank or money changer. Port towns always want to make sure that tourists have money to spend:D

• 2 weeks later...

Never had a problem getting money or finding an ATM machines anywhere in the world (what to do with the currency if you don't spend it all that's another thing). If you are worried about ATM fees check with your bank, you'd be pleasantly surprise. Some banks offer a limited amount of free ATM withdrawals overseas. Good luck...

We are going on RSSC voyager Baltic cruise in aug. Starting in Stockholm. Are euros readily accepted there or do you have to have local currency? Concerned about having to have a lot of different currencies and not wanting to have a lot of leftover. Advice, please.

Euros are generally not accepted in Sweden, where it works, the exchange rate is very poor and you will probably get change back in Swedish kronor.

The exception is possibly the sights and museum that has a lot of foreign visitors but if one is to move around town so is Swedish kronor recommended. Some change in Swedish kronor and a credit card with chip is probably the best way to go.

Welcome to our beautiful Capital :)