Ever gotten wi-fi to work on android device?

CoffeeHound

Hi,

Just got off the Century and was just wondering if anyone else could not get wi-fi to work on their android devices? We went down to the longe and tried every phone and tablet we had and were finalltold that unless we If I had an apple product we would just have to use the computers in the lounge. That is what we ended up doing, but I was bummed that I could not us the minutes I had at my leisure in the cabin.

I don't own any apple devices. If I bring a really old ipad borrowed froma family member that has upgraded, do you think that will work next cruise?

I realize that Celebrity has partnered with Apple and all, but I find it a little disappointing that I couldn't get wi-fi at all using android.

Any hints to get it working next time?

Thanks

I had NO trouble getting my Samsung Galaxy Notepad or my PC laptop to connect at all. I set up my internet account through their lounge. Then I set up the wireless account and had absolutely no trouble getting on line back in my state room or in the Oceanview Cafe. I did not try my phone as I leave that on airplane mode but suspect I could have easily logged on. I even helped a half dozen or more people set up their non-apple devices.

My guess is that somewhere in the set up process a step was missed and that is why you had difficulty. You absolutely positively have to do it in order or the wireless does not work. That means setting up the internet account first THEN the wireless. This is where most of the people I encountered had problems.

Edited by Clydesmom7865

Thanks! That is helpful. We went down to the longe tolet them do it, but the staff member just said he could not get it to work. I cannot remember for sure if he set up the account first and then tried logging on with our devices. That may have been the problem. I thought by having them help me things would go smoother but I guess not.

Can you tell me which browser you use on your samsung? He told us it never works with chrome and then could not get it going on the stock browser or firefox either.

Android Tablets (Toshiba, Asus) have worked for us on the Eclipse, Solstice and Equinox. The Browsers we use are the stock browser, and Opera.

As mentioned earlier we have gone to the iLounge, set up the account first, and from then on the tablets work just fine.

Given the many different devices in the market today I can't expect the iLounge folks to be expert in them all and given their association with Apple understand if that is where their expertise lies.

Thanks everyone. I think we would have been better off reading the instructions and trying it ourselves. We had an Asus tablet, Kindle (which never seems to work with anything non amazon so not surprised there), a samsung phone and a HTC phone.

On our saling we were told you had to go down to the lounge and have them set it up to get your free elite minutes so that is why we asked for help. Live and learn. Next time I will have them set up the account using the computer in the lounge and then try the wifi stuff on my own.

I think we would have been better off reading the instructions and trying it ourselves.

Always helps!

On our saling we were told you had to go down to the lounge and have them set it up to get your free elite minutes so that is why we asked for help. Live and learn. Next time I will have them set up the account using the computer in the lounge and then try the wifi stuff on my own.

It is really easy to set up your account in the iLounge without help from the staff and you will find that it is easier to get access to a computer there when it is unmanned. The only thing you have to do is drop your Elite coupon into the box provided after you have set up the account. The charge will then show on your account followed by a credit once they have processed the voucher.

Can you tell me which browser you use on your samsung? He told us it never works with chrome and then could not get it going on the stock browser or firefox either.

I always use chrome with my tablet (Nexus) and it works fine onboard. For an upcoming cruise, my larger-screen android phone is all I'm taking (trying to save weight for European flight). I put the phone in airplane mode to avoid calls and manually turn on the wifi. And as everyone has said, set up your account first.

Edited by goofysmom99

I have found some ilounge techs are much better than others! They PREFER their products. We brought my Kindle fire 8.9 and once it was set up in the lounge I had no problems connecting to the internet from our cabin. Hopefully, when we are on the Connie for a TA this Thursday, the tech will be able to set me up again..

He is wrong. I use Chrome the majority of the time and if not that Firefox. My guess is he couldn't get it to work, didn't know what to do, and so blamed the browsers and device instead of getting help from someone else.

This is what I did:

I went to the lounge with my tablet. I swiped my seapass card and set up an internet account log in and password and then purchased the package I needed to start my online college classes during the cruise. Then I clicked "set up wifi access." You have to set up ANOTHER SEPARATE ACCOUNT for wifi specifically. This is what I think confuses people: the internet access and WIFI are separate. You can use the exact same log in and passwords for BOTH accounts (which is what I do for convenience) Once I have created the wifi account I LOG OUT of the lounge computer. Then pick up the tablet and try to log into ship's wifi. If it is set up right no trouble and you are on immediately. If not I repeat the account set up process for wifi until the device connects.

He is wrong. I use Chrome the majority of the time and if not that Firefox. My guess is he couldn't get it to work, didn't know what to do, and so blamed the browsers and device instead of getting help from someone else.

This is what I did:

I went to the lounge with my tablet. I swiped my seapass card and set up an internet account log in and password and then purchased the package I needed to start my online college classes during the cruise. Then I clicked "set up wifi access." You have to set up ANOTHER SEPARATE ACCOUNT for wifi specifically. This is what I think confuses people: the internet access and WIFI are separate. You can use the exact same log in and passwords for BOTH accounts (which is what I do for convenience) Once I have created the wifi account I LOG OUT of the lounge computer. Then pick up the tablet and try to log into ship's wifi. If it is set up right no trouble and you are on immediately. If not I repeat the account set up process for wifi until the device connects.

Is there a prompt for setting up the wifi? Is there an extra charge for the wifi acct?

While we appreciate the free Elite minutes and ability to print our airline boarding pass at the lounge, having wifi for my tablet would be very handy. Does it work throuout the ship?

Is there a prompt for setting up the wifi? Is there an extra charge for the wifi acct?

While we appreciate the free Elite minutes and ability to print our airline boarding pass at the lounge, having wifi for my tablet would be very handy. Does it work throuout the ship?

When I was on board there were three different Icons on the main screen. One for setting up an internet account, one for WIFI, and I do not remember what the third one was because I didn't need it.

There is no extra charge for WIFI you use minutes from your same internet account you just use your own device to connect rather than the computers in the lounge.

I cannot attest for ALL areas of the ship but my stateroom was on deck 10 midship and I had no issues connecting. Same for Oceanview Cafe and the pool areas. I did not try other areas.

Given the many different devices in the market today I can't expect the iLounge folks to be expert in them all and given their association with Apple understand if that is where their expertise lies.
I was on the Century recently and was told by iLounge staff that he couldn't set up wifi on my android phone and advised me not to use it. I set it up on my own afterwards and had no problems.

That's just flat unacceptable! :mad: Doesn't matter who Celebrity has "partnered" with for technology, the service is for their passengers, not their tech partner. For the Apple fanboy staff to not know the basics of WiFi connection for non-Apple devices AND then to just flat LIE about it if you don't have an iThing is ludicrous. I better not hear them giving out that BS info when I'm within earshot, I'll openly shame them by stepping in and showing the poor passenger how easy it really is.

That's just flat unacceptable! :mad: Doesn't matter who Celebrity has "partnered" with for technology, the service is for their passengers, not their tech partner. For the Apple fanboy staff to not know the basics of WiFi connection for non-Apple devices AND then to just flat LIE about it if you don't have an iThing is ludicrous.

Nice theory but that is not how business works. Apple pays for the privilege of being the provider of choice, to sell their devices, and promote their products to the passengers. Part of that contract can be the clause that employees NOT promote or support competitor products.

You assume that they lie about it but I have met people who are strictly one system user and have NO clue about how to use the other products. Such as myself: I have NO clue about Apple products so asking me how to connect your IPad is a waste of time as I do not know how to do it. It doesn't mean I am lying about it.

I better not hear them giving out that BS info when I'm within earshot, I'll openly shame them by stepping in and showing the poor passenger how easy it really is.

Then be prepared to risk being put off the ship. I simply happened to be in the lounge when all of their techies were on their break for the meal and got pressed into service by other passengers for help connecting. When the techies returned they made it CLEAR that I could no longer do that. It is their ship and their rules. You do not get to tell them how to run their business.

As for your claim that you will "openly shame" someone. Try being a grown up about it. By doing that all you do is make yourself look petty and vindictive.

Edited by Clydesmom7865

Nice theory but that is not how business works. Apple pays for the privilege of being the provider of choice, to sell their devices, and promote their products to the passengers. Part of that contract can be the clause that employees NOT promote or support competitor products.

If they want to promote Apple products that's fine. But the last time I looked, the WiFi service was provided as a service to the paying passengers. If Celebrity announces that non-Apple devices are not allowed to be connected to the ship's WiFi, then I'll change my opinion.

You assume that they lie about it but I have met people who are strictly one system user and have NO clue about how to use the other products. Such as myself: I have NO clue about Apple products so asking me how to connect your IPad is a waste of time as I do not know how to do it. It doesn't mean I am lying about it.

If they say "I have no clue about how to make an Android device work" that may not be lying. However, when they say "it never works with chrome or firefox" then they've strayed into the realm of lying.

Then be prepared to risk being put off the ship. I simply happened to be in the lounge when all of their techies were on their break for the meal and got pressed into service by other passengers for help connecting. When the techies returned they made it CLEAR that I could no longer do that. It is their ship and their rules. You do not get to tell them how to run their business.

As for your claim that you will "openly shame" someone. Try being a grown up about it. By doing that all you do is make yourself look petty and vindictive.

The techies are most likely contractors, not Celebrity employees, probably paid by Apple. If they can't or won't show passengers how to successfully use the ship WiFi service which is offered to passengers, and they get upset with me for showing them how - then I'm really not worried about "getting thrown off the ship." Its NOT "their ship and their rules" since they're not Celebrity employees. Sorry, I stand by my statement. A WiFi connection is a trivial thing to accomplish, and its a SERVICE which is offered to the passengers by Celebrity for a PRICE. Apple contractors don't have the right to make it difficult or impossible for a passenger to use that paying service, and if it has to be escalated, I'm pretty darn sure they won't win that battle.

But I'll let you know, as we'll be on Century a week from Saturday!

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Hi,

Just got off the Century and was just wondering if anyone else could not get wi-fi to work on their android devices? We went down to the longe and tried every phone and tablet we had and were finalltold that unless we If I had an apple product we would just have to use the computers in the lounge. That is what we ended up doing, but I was bummed that I could not us the minutes I had at my leisure in the cabin.

I don't own any apple devices. If I bring a really old ipad borrowed froma family member that has upgraded, do you think that will work next cruise?

I realize that Celebrity has partnered with Apple and all, but I find it a little disappointing that I couldn't get wi-fi at all using android.

Any hints to get it working next time?

Thanks

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tablet and I didn't have any trouble using the internet (other than it is very slow).