Honeymoon - (Alaska Celebrity Solstice) Itinerary Questions

amycat

Hi everyone - sorry in advance this is so long! I have done a fair bit of research, but just a few detailed questions I wanted to ask.

I just joined the forum and made an intro post in the "New Cruisers" forum.

To give you a little background about myself and my fiance - we are getting married soon and honeymooning in August to Alaska, through Celebrity Cruises (we're going on the Celebrity Solstice in Aqua Class, if that has any relevancy whatsoever).

Our personalities are almost identical, so just about everything we do will be together. We aren't super adventurous, but we do love to see/try new things. We are both fairly introverted and easygoing. A few examples of things we might enjoy doing (just a guess based on our interests/personalities) would be whale watching, exploring port cities, trying unique restaurants in the ports, cultural/historical, but low impact activities, etc. We aren't into hiking or biking or anything physical - we mostly enjoy roaming around and taking in new sights. We love the cold ("the cold" in Mississippi being in the 20s in the middle of winter).

With that being said, we have no idea what to expect! I've been on one cruise (Greece in 2008), but he hasn't been out of the country or on a cruise. Also, we're thinking of staying in Seattle for 2-3 nights after we get off of the cruise ship.

Now, for the deets:

There are two departure dates we have our eyes on for the Alaskan Sawyer Glacier Cruise - August 22, 2014 and August 29, 2014. Both 7 nights long. Both round trip, and both leaving from Seattle, WA. We live in Mississippi, but will be flying out of New Orleans (I have family in NOLA and flights seem to be cheaper from there).

The itinerary is as follows:

Day 1: Depart from Seattle, WA @ 5pm

Day 2: AT SEA

Day 3: Docked at Ketchikan, AK from 7am-4pm

Day 4: Cruising through Tracy Arm Fjord, AK from 6am-10am; Tendered at Juneau, AK from 1:30pm-10pm

Day 5: Docked at Skagway, AK from 7am-6pm; Cruising through Alaska Inside Passage from 6:30pm-10:30pm

Day 6: AT SEA

Day 7: Docked at Victoria, BC, Canada from 6pm-11:59pm

Day 8: Arrive in Seattle, WA @ 7am

So, here are my questions:

1. Will weather/climate/etc. drastically change depending on if we leave on August 22 or August 29? As in, how wishy washy is the weather in Alaska, and does it really matter when we leave?

2. What should we pack? Clothing, accessories, technology, etc?

3. What excursions do you recommend? What should we avoid? What are some things you wish you would have done, or wish you wouldn't have done?

4. What are some things we should do/see/experience in Seattle if we decide to stay for 2-3 nights after the cruise?

5. Any other advice/tips/hints/etc. you'd like to offer.

Thank you for taking time to read this, and for any help you give!

Amy

If you look down the board, many of your questions are covered regularly. There are TONS of tips and hints here for your taking.

Layers is the way to go with clothes for Alaska. There is no way to predict whether the weather will be the same or different one week over another.

Seattle is covered on the West Coast Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

There are MANY things to do in Seattle.

If you look down the board, many of your questions are covered regularly. There are TONS of tips and hints here for your taking.

Layers is the way to go with clothes for Alaska. There is no way to predict whether the weather will be the same or different one week over another.

Seattle is covered on the West Coast Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

There are MANY things to do in Seattle.

Hi Bruce,

I know many of my questions are covered, but I posted with specific details about my cruise (from the times as well as whether they're docked, cruising, or tendered), the cruise line, and even information about my fiance and I. I did this to get answers that are more tailored to fit me (us), specifically.

Believe me, I've perused these forums (especially the Alaska boards) quite thoroughly - there are tons of answers and a lot of information to be gained here.

I just thought I'd get more detailed answers if I posted more detailed questions.

Firstly congratulations Amy, you must be excited a wedding and a cruise to Alaska, no wonder you have lots of questions.

As the previous poster has said there's lots of good info here, take a browse, but I guess you're head is spinning so here are just a few pointers which I found useful when I started my plans nearly 18 months ago....

This link will take you to what's available at each port. If you like whale watching Juneau has some good options... http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

One for Skagway...http://skagway.com

Some general info...http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k3818607-All_about_Alaska_cruising-Alaska.html

and some reviews to give you some ideas...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879117

Hope that's a good start ;)

Ahhh looks like I was posting as you were replying, oh well, maybe the links will be of use to someone else

Edited by Babyeddiedog

Answers in RED and very specific :D

1. Will weather/climate/etc. drastically change depending on if we leave on August 22 or August 29? As in, how wishy washy is the weather in Alaska, and does it really matter when we leave?

A. MAYBE B. Always wishy washy. C. No

Clothing to dress in layers. T shirt/Light Sweater/Waterproof outer shell for outside. Country Club casual for the ship. Duck Tape.

3. What excursions do you recommend? What should we avoid? What are some things you wish you would have done, or wish you wouldn't have done?

A. Whale look see/ Train in Skagway / City Bus through the Valley in Juneau. B. Nothing C.done it all. D. Nothing

4. What are some things we should do/see/experience in Seattle if we decide to stay for 2-3 nights after the cruise?

Ball game at Safeco field and have garlic frys. Space needle & mono rail. Eat in one of the great restaurants

Use room service a lot it's free with small tip for whom ever brings it. TV in room has lots of modes.

Amy

Last Advice: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Enjoy.

Edited by LeftcoastBC

Hi everyone - sorry in advance this is so long! I have done a fair bit of research, but just a few detailed questions I wanted to ask.

I just joined the forum and made an intro post in the "New Cruisers" forum.

To give you a little background about myself and my fiance - we are getting married soon and honeymooning in August to Alaska, through Celebrity Cruises (we're going on the Celebrity Solstice in Aqua Class, if that has any relevancy whatsoever).

Our personalities are almost identical, so just about everything we do will be together. We aren't super adventurous, but we do love to see/try new things. We are both fairly introverted and easygoing. A few examples of things we might enjoy doing (just a guess based on our interests/personalities) would be whale watching, exploring port cities, trying unique restaurants in the ports, cultural/historical, but low impact activities, etc. We aren't into hiking or biking or anything physical - we mostly enjoy roaming around and taking in new sights. We love the cold ("the cold" in Mississippi being in the 20s in the middle of winter).

With that being said, we have no idea what to expect! I've been on one cruise (Greece in 2008), but he hasn't been out of the country or on a cruise. Also, we're thinking of staying in Seattle for 2-3 nights after we get off of the cruise ship.

Now, for the deets:

There are two departure dates we have our eyes on for the Alaskan Sawyer Glacier Cruise - August 22, 2014 and August 29, 2014. Both 7 nights long. Both round trip, and both leaving from Seattle, WA. We live in Mississippi, but will be flying out of New Orleans (I have family in NOLA and flights seem to be cheaper from there).

The itinerary is as follows:

Day 1: Depart from Seattle, WA @ 5pm

Day 2: AT SEA

Day 3: Docked at Ketchikan, AK from 7am-4pm

Day 4: Cruising through Tracy Arm Fjord, AK from 6am-10am; Tendered at Juneau, AK from 1:30pm-10pm

Day 5: Docked at Skagway, AK from 7am-6pm; Cruising through Alaska Inside Passage from 6:30pm-10:30pm

Day 6: AT SEA

Day 7: Docked at Victoria, BC, Canada from 6pm-11:59pm

Day 8: Arrive in Seattle, WA @ 7am

Amy

You need warm layers, with a lightweight jacket, hat and gloves.

As for excursions, there are hundreds of choices. Narrow down your interests. Above you got some "popular" tour suggestions, I would advise you to consider others as well. You budget comes into play and there is no point in recommendations for tours outside the budget either. :) You only mention whale watching. That would be out of Juneau. As for "port cities" I hope you mean outside of the shopping areas. :) I suggest you look at the city site and get their walking tour guides, also available from your library in Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska.

I do recommend, however as "necessary" your ship Tracy Arm add on boat tour. It is grossly superior to your cruise ship transit. You likely will have some good wildlife sightings as well as getting closer to the glacier/s.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

If you choose the latter cruise, my boyfriend and I will be on it with you. This will be our first time to Alaska and Seattle but I can offer you my thought process in our decisions for this trip. We are flying in the night before and staying at the Silver Cloud - Stadium. A lot of hotels are high in price that weekend due to a music festival. We are doing the Safeco field tour the next morning before we board the ship. It's only $10 and my boyfriend loves touring different baseball stadiums.

In Ketchikan we will be wandering and shopping (I hear there is a year round Christmas outlet/store!). We are leaving the possibility of doing the totem poles or the lumberjack show. We are taking the boat tour in Tracy Arm Fjord as this is the one thing I had to do. Getting up close to a glacier seems like a must in AK. In Juneau later that day, we are hiking Mendenhall Glacier. And in Skagway, we're renting a Green Jeep and driving to Emerald Lake.

We aren't used to such port intensive cruises so we tried to hit the important stuff (to us) but not be too overwhelmed. We also will be packing in layers and checking the weather religiously the weeks before cruise. For me, I'll take nicer shorts, jeans, leggings, nicer tanks and tees (could match with shorts or pants) and sweaters. Will have boots, heels, TOMS, flip flops and sneakers for the gym. I'm, as of now, assuming it'll be around the 60s and will take a peacoat for most of the outdoors and then a Northface fleece and REI rain coat for the glacier watching. Gloves, scarves and beanies as well. If it is warmer, then I can always layer down to shorts and a top or whatnot.

If you haven't booked flights, hotels and excursions yet, I'd probably do it sooner rather than later as I imagine now is about the time they'll start to sell out and increase in price.

EDIT: I just remembered to add that the night we are sailing through the Inside Passage, we'll be having dinner delivered from the MDR and have it on our balcony so we can watch everything go by.

Edited by MojitoMadness09

I haven't been to Alaska yet.....first time will be this season. I have been to Seattle though, so I wanted to recommend the usual - Pike Place Market and the Space Needle - and the not so usual -the underground tour of Seattle was really interesting and I am glad we did it.

EDIT: I just remembered to add that the night we are sailing through the Inside Passage, we'll be having dinner delivered from the MDR and have it on our balcony so we can watch everything go by.

You are going to have to be prepared, to eat in a coat and have cold food.

You are going to have to be prepared, to eat in a coat and have cold food.

Is it super busy so the food would be delayed and thus cold? Maybe if we decided to grab food from the buffet and then have it on our balcony? Would that be a better option? I don't mind bundling up after eating with a hot drink. I imagine it'll get dark pretty soon that evening anyways with it being later in the year, but figured we could spend an hour or so out there.

Is it super busy so the food would be delayed and thus cold? Maybe if we decided to grab food from the buffet and then have it on our balcony? Would that be a better option? I don't mind bundling up after eating with a hot drink. I imagine it'll get dark pretty soon that evening anyways with it being later in the year, but figured we could spend an hour or so out there.

It's going to be cold outside on a moving ship. Any food is going to cool down very quickly. In fact, I have gloves on when I'm outside, just so, I can stay out as long as I want, especially in the evening.

You are going in August? You will have extended twilight- even colder. It isn't the Caribbean, where it's common to eat outside. :)

It's going to be cold outside on a moving ship. Any food is going to cool down very quickly. In fact, I have gloves on when I'm outside, just so, I can stay out as long as I want, especially in the evening.

You are going in August? You will have extended twilight- even colder. It isn't the Caribbean, where it's common to eat outside. :)

Guess we'll have to come up with another plan. I'm thinking spiked hot drinks while bundled up and dinner after in the MDR. Thanks for the heads up!

Firstly congratulations Amy, you must be excited a wedding and a cruise to Alaska, no wonder you have lots of questions.

As the previous poster has said there's lots of good info here, take a browse, but I guess you're head is spinning so here are just a few pointers which I found useful when I started my plans nearly 18 months ago....

This link will take you to what's available at each port. If you like whale watching Juneau has some good options... http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

One for Skagway...http://skagway.com

Some general info...http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k3818607-All_about_Alaska_cruising-Alaska.html

and some reviews to give you some ideas...http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879117

Hope that's a good start ;)

Ahhh looks like I was posting as you were replying, oh well, maybe the links will be of use to someone else

Hey there, thank you so much for the links... I have bookmarked them to read. Thanks! :)

Answers in RED and very specific :D

Last Advice: Don't sweat the small stuff.

Enjoy.

Thank you for the advice! What is the duck tape for, and where do we put it? Shoes I would assume?

I'll just answer the weather question: I don't think that you will find much difference in weather between an August 22 or August 29th departure. Just be prepared for rain.

Thank you! I've read September is one of the rainier months, but I'm prepared to bring a rainjacket or waterproof shell.

You need warm layers, with a lightweight jacket, hat and gloves.

As for excursions, there are hundreds of choices. Narrow down your interests. Above you got some "popular" tour suggestions, I would advise you to consider others as well. You budget comes into play and there is no point in recommendations for tours outside the budget either. :) You only mention whale watching. That would be out of Juneau. As for "port cities" I hope you mean outside of the shopping areas. :) I suggest you look at the city site and get their walking tour guides, also available from your library in Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska.

I do recommend, however as "necessary" your ship Tracy Arm add on boat tour. It is grossly superior to your cruise ship transit. You likely will have some good wildlife sightings as well as getting closer to the glacier/s.

We're tendered in Juneau, so do you think that'll make it harder to whale watch? Also I don't think there are any excursions available for Tracy Arm... I'll have to look again. As for the port cities, where do you recommend?

Thank you for the advice!

Thank you! :D

If you choose the latter cruise, my boyfriend and I will be on it with you. This will be our first time to Alaska and Seattle but I can offer you my thought process in our decisions for this trip. We are flying in the night before and staying at the Silver Cloud - Stadium. A lot of hotels are high in price that weekend due to a music festival. We are doing the Safeco field tour the next morning before we board the ship. It's only $10 and my boyfriend loves touring different baseball stadiums.

We are leaning towards the latter one (departing August 29, 2014). It's our first time that far north, so we're super excited! We were considering flying in the night before as well, but our flight otherwise said we'd land at 1:30pm... I think that's more than enough time to get from the airport to the dock. What do you think? I was hoping to be able to spend time in Seattle when we get back from the cruise...

In Ketchikan we will be wandering and shopping (I hear there is a year round Christmas outlet/store!). We are leaving the possibility of doing the totem poles or the lumberjack show. We are taking the boat tour in Tracy Arm Fjord as this is the one thing I had to do. Getting up close to a glacier seems like a must in AK. In Juneau later that day, we are hiking Mendenhall Glacier. And in Skagway, we're renting a Green Jeep and driving to Emerald Lake.

I can't find any excursions for Tracy Arm! Maybe I'm looking right at it. From what I have read of the excursions though, I'd like to take the train in Skagway and go to the sled dogs camp, whale watch in Juneau, and sightsee in Ketchikan.

We aren't used to such port intensive cruises so we tried to hit the important stuff (to us) but not be too overwhelmed. We also will be packing in layers and checking the weather religiously the weeks before cruise. For me, I'll take nicer shorts, jeans, leggings, nicer tanks and tees (could match with shorts or pants) and sweaters. Will have boots, heels, TOMS, flip flops and sneakers for the gym. I'm, as of now, assuming it'll be around the 60s and will take a peacoat for most of the outdoors and then a Northface fleece and REI rain coat for the glacier watching. Gloves, scarves and beanies as well. If it is warmer, then I can always layer down to shorts and a top or whatnot.

I read last night that sometimes it's impossible to wear shorts in Alaska, and other times it's a necessity. I'm excited to see what kind of weather it'll bring us! Have you considered getting one of those 3-in-1 North Face jackets? They're kinda pricey ($180 on the website), but I've read great reviews and a lot of people seem to recommend the 3-in-1 deal. Are you bringing a backpack or anything, like to carry your necessities? And also what kind of camera are you bringing? We have to go shop for one soon!

If you haven't booked flights, hotels and excursions yet, I'd probably do it sooner rather than later as I imagine now is about the time they'll start to sell out and increase in price.

Good idea on the hotels/flights. I think we're booking our trip tonight or tomorrow, depending on some personal stuff... hopefully it'll be tonight so I can start really concrete planning!

And about eating on your balcony - that sounds awesome! If it gets too cold you can just go inside and look out the door, but otherwise just bring some blankets and enjoy! I think we'll be doing that too. :D

I haven't been to Alaska yet.....first time will be this season. I have been to Seattle though, so I wanted to recommend the usual - Pike Place Market and the Space Needle - and the not so usual -the underground tour of Seattle was really interesting and I am glad we did it.

When I read your post and saw "underground" I was immediately interested... looked it up and we are absolutely going to do that! Obviously Pike Place and the Space Needle as well. Did you go on the ferris wheel? And are most things open on Sundays?

Thank you for your advice! :)

So it gets chilly in late August - early September? I've seen tons of pictures of people going in May where there's still snow on the ground, but not many from August/September!

Thank you for the advice! What is the duck tape for, and where do we put it? Shoes I would assume?

You're welcome.....

You can use the duck tape for everything from making a clothes line to holding luggage together to using it on ankles for plantar faciitis in a pinch . Or taping up do not disturbs signs !!!!!!:D

Enjoy your cruise.

So it gets chilly in late August - early September? I've seen tons of pictures of people going in May where there's still snow on the ground, but not many from August/September!

Yes it certainly can be cooler. I would suggest you expect in the 60's There is no way to predict anything. The negative with going later is the lack of daylight which is a negative for me. I had a white out snow trip in Denali 9-1-05.

We're tendered in Juneau, so do you think that'll make it harder to whale watch? Also I don't think there are any excursions available for Tracy Arm... I'll have to look again. As for the port cities, where do you recommend?

Thank you for the advice!

There should be an add on Tracy Arm tour, listed on your shore excursion list, under Juneau. Will be in the $200pp range. A "must" in my opinion.

Well, we thought we'd be on the same cruise as you, but we had to move it to May 2015... I hope you and your boyfriend have a very safe and happy trip! Please do a review and tell us all about it. :)