Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

We're taking a shuttle from Port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport, probably arrive Sunday 11am. Our flight isn't until 8pm. Can we leave our luggage at the airport and go into Lauderdale for a few hours? What's the best way to get to town from the airport and back again?

Thanks,

Tony

You could try http://bagstogo.net/baggage_storage.php but they close at 5:30pm so need to pick up by then

http://eng.bigbustours.com/miami/ship-to-shore.html

or rent a car & just show up closer to your flight

The airlines will not take bags until 3 hr prior to your flight

We're taking a shuttle from Port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale airport, probably arrive Sunday 11am. Our flight isn't until 8pm. Can we leave our luggage at the airport and go into Lauderdale for a few hours? What's the best way to get to town from the airport and back again?

Thanks,

Tony

Leave your luggage at Bags to Go and then you can take the free sun trolley airport link (http://www.suntrolley.com/airport-link/) to downtown. From there you can stroll along Las Olas or take another trolley to the beach (cost $1 for a single ride, $3 for a day pass). The last airport link trolley back to the airport is 4:30 - that will give you time to pick up your bags before Bags to Go closes at 5:30.

Staying at the Renaissance on 17th street at the end of March. Can you recommend a restaurant within walking distance? Seafood would be nice, but not mandatory. Thanks.

There is a seafood place in the same complex as the hotel. It is called Bimimi Boatyard. Many folks enjoy it there,

although I think it is overrated. The locaton? When you walk out of the lobby of the hotel, go to the right and

you will see the restaurant.

Edited by Lois R

Staying at the Renaissance on 17th street at the end of March. Can you recommend a restaurant within walking distance? Seafood would be nice, but not mandatory. Thanks.

Market 17 across the street is very nice, as are Bimini Boatyard and Grill 66.

Leave your luggage at Bags to Go and then you can take the free sun trolley airport link (http://www.suntrolley.com/airport-link/) to downtown. From there you can stroll along Las Olas or take another trolley to the beach (cost $1 for a single ride, $3 for a day pass). The last airport link trolley back to the airport is 4:30 - that will give you time to pick up your bags before Bags to Go closes at 5:30.

Just the info we were looking for.

Thanks again,

Tony and Debbie

• 2 weeks later...
I've never seen valet parking AT the terminals, but there is Park N Go at the entrance to the port. They will valet your car and shuttle you to and from your terminal with your luggage. They charge much less than the port does, and the biggest savings are if you prebook.

Looking at using park n go.. Do i put the return time as the docking time? so if we are coming back in port on thursday at 7am .. put that? or what time should i use?

We're staying one night at the new Residence Inn - Dania Beach. Are there any restaurants within walking distance?

Tropical Acres and Rustic Inn are an easy walk. Rustic Inn is a fun place. Tropical Acres is a good value steakhouse during early bird hours (check their website) but lacks any ambiance. The Field is about a mile away...you need to take a taxi, as it's not a great neighborhood...it's a fun Irish pub/restaurant. Also a short cab ride away is Royal India.

Looking at using park n go.. Do i put the return time as the docking time? so if we are coming back in port on thursday at 7am .. put that? or what time should i use?

I put the time that I expected to be picked up, 8:30. Unless you plan on doing self-disembarkation and being first in line, just put 8:30, 9 or 9:30. I don't think it really matters, as the staff understands that the cruisers don't have a lot of control over the times. After you go through passport control, go outside and find the private shuttle pickup area. We found a Park N Go shuttle with a line of people waiting for the next shuttle. Each one holds about a dozen people and luggage. They load up from the front of the line and it doesn't matter what time you requested.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello,

I while back someone posted a great walking map from the Hyatt Pier 66 to the Jetties where you can watch the ships sail. I thought I screen shot it & saved it but of course I cannot locate it anywhere!! Anyone have an idea or if the person who posted could respond with the link that would be awesome!

I've been to the jetties before so I know how to get there. I just wanted to print the map out.

TIA

:)

Sue

I'm looking for a post office/mailing point (Office Depot?) close to Port Everglades. We are on a B2B and would like to mail a box of sports equipment not needed for the 2nd half of the trip. Any ideas of where and how to get there? Of course if there's a grocery for wine nearby that will be good too.

Thanks, Susie

I need a hotel for one night in early Jan. 2016. It has to be one that is considered an "airport" hotel because I will need a shuttle service to take me to POM the next day. I was hoping to find something in a decent neighborhood, near a restaurant or two, for less than $200. Are there any websites other than Priceline where I might find a decent hotel in my price range? Any hotels you know will be in that range in January?

Thank you all for your help.

Linda

I'm looking for a post office/mailing point (Office Depot?) close to Port Everglades. We are on a B2B and would like to mail a box of sports equipment not needed for the 2nd half of the trip. Any ideas of where and how to get there? Of course if there's a grocery for wine nearby that will be good too.

Thanks, Susie

There is a USPS very close to the port, about a mile from the SR 84 port entrance:2801 S FEDERAL HWY

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33316-9998

There is an Office Depot a few blocks from the Eisenhower Blvd port entrance on SE 17th St in Southport Shopping Center.

There is a Total Wine and a Publix in Harbor Shops behind Embassy Suites on SE 17th St, across the street from Office Depot.

Edited by royalcruz

I need a hotel for one night in early Jan. 2016. It has to be one that is considered an "airport" hotel because I will need a shuttle service to take me to POM the next day. I was hoping to find something in a decent neighborhood, near a restaurant or two, for less than $200. Are there any websites other than Priceline where I might find a decent hotel in my price range? Any hotels you know will be in that range in January?

Thank you all for your help.

Linda

Best Western on SR 84 might be in your range and it fits the other criteria.

Sharon, do you know anything about the Best Western Plus Seaside Inn on Seabreeze? I was just able to book it for $21+ for 1/24. It does say the room is city view and has a catwalk entrance, do you know what that is? Price seems too good to be true, can't help but think there is a catch...lol.

Carla

There is a USPS very close to the port, about a mile from the SR 84 port entrance:2801 S FEDERAL HWY

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33316-9998

There is an Office Depot a few blocks from the Eisenhower Blvd port entrance on SE 17th St in Southport Shopping Center.

There is a Total Wine and a Publix in Harbor Shops behind Embassy Suites on SE 17th St, across the street from Office Depot.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like a fairly easy walk is only a few blocks to Office Depot.

Susie

There is also an Einstein's Bagels within a couple of blocks of Renaissance. We love it for a quick breakfast. Renaissance is our fave pre-cruise hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

Sharon, do you know anything about the Best Western Plus Seaside Inn on Seabreeze? I was just able to book it for $21+ for 1/24. It does say the room is city view and has a catwalk entrance, do you know what that is? Price seems too good to be true, can't help but think there is a catch...lol.

Carla

Carla, how did you get such a good price?

We stay there every January when we cruise but I never saw a room with a catwalk entrance. The hotel is very near the beach and has recently been refurbished.

Linda