Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

We are staying at the Springhill Suites in November pre cruise without a car. I know there is a strip mall across the street but we would like to go some place local, tavern or pub food kind of place for dinner close to the hotel.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

In Oakwood Plaza: Hollywood Ae House

http://fort.lauderdale.diningguide.com/data/d101961.htm

Also a Dave & Busters.

A decent walk (3-4 blocks as I recall) from Springhill.

We are staying at the Springhill Suites in November pre cruise without a car. I know there is a strip mall across the street but we would like to go some place local, tavern or pub food kind of place for dinner close to the hotel.

We found the Ale House decent for dinner.

Edited by clarea

The Field on Griffin Rd is a very popular fun place. http://thefieldfl.com/

It's a short 3 mile ride.

Hollywood Ale House is a good local chain in the strip mall.

Edited by royalcruz

I have an issue and I am hoping I can get some advise. We have a cruise out of POM in July. We are flying into FLL the day before our cruise. Our flight gets in really early - 8AM so the kids wanted to stay in FLL for the night to spend time at the beach. I booked the Gallery One hotel as I like the location to the beach and the water taxi. I usually use SAS for transportation between Miami and FLL. I didn't dawn on me that SAS does not pick up from Gallery One until I get a note back from them stating they only pick up from select hotels. So my question is does anyone know of another company I could contact about transportation from our hotel to POM? If not my only option is to find another hotel, which I don't want to do. I really appreciate any advise.

I have an issue and I am hoping I can get some advise. We have a cruise out of POM in July. We are flying into FLL the day before our cruise. Our flight gets in really early - 8AM so the kids wanted to stay in FLL for the night to spend time at the beach. I booked the Gallery One hotel as I like the location to the beach and the water taxi. I usually use SAS for transportation between Miami and FLL. I didn't dawn on me that SAS does not pick up from Gallery One until I get a note back from them stating they only pick up from select hotels. So my question is does anyone know of another company I could contact about transportation from our hotel to POM? If not my only option is to find another hotel, which I don't want to do. I really appreciate any advise.

If no one comes back with a knowledgeable answer, why not give the Gallery One a call and ask them?

I remember reading that a CC member had the hotel concierge arrange transportation to POM for a reasonable price. There are lots of transportation companies but SAS is hard to beat price-wise. I think the next best hotel would be Hilton Marina for an SAS pickup. There is a water taxi stop right there and you can take it to the beach and back, or walk 2 blocks to the Sun trolley for a ride to the beach.

You can catch the SAS shuttle at Fort Lauderdale airport to Miami. If your hotel has a shuttle to the airport or you could take a taxi. Maybe a taxi from your hotel to one that SAS does pick up at.

Debbie and Tony

Ok I need help I'm torn between hotels... Right now I have a hold on the gallery one but was thinking maybe I would be better off at either embassy or Hyatt 66... We (group of 14) are coming down two days prior to the cruise for a wedding... Which of these hotels would be the closest to the beach? any shuttles provided? Breakfast? I know nothing about these hotels or Fort Lauderdale actually... So I'm sure I will have more questions to come :)

Ok I need help I'm torn between hotels... Right now I have a hold on the gallery one but was thinking maybe I would be better off at either embassy or Hyatt 66... We (group of 14) are coming down two days prior to the cruise for a wedding... Which of these hotels would be the closest to the beach? any shuttles provided? Breakfast? I know nothing about these hotels or Fort Lauderdale actually... So I'm sure I will have more questions to come :)

I vote for Gallery One. It is closest to the beach (only a couple of blocks), on the intracoastal with a water taxi stop, next to the Galleria Mall for shopping, lots of restaurants nearby, on a sun trolley route, etc.

Edited by capriccio

I found a company that will pick up from Gallery One and it was only $20 more then SAS. QLS is the company and they also do return trips from POM to FLL for $12 per person so I arranged that as well. I am glad I could get that figured out without having to change hotels. I now have learned to double check hotels that are listed before booking. ;)

Where to go in a limo around Fort Lauderdale for 3 hours after dinner for a group of 22 between 6:30 and 9:30pm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could go for drinks at YOLO or the lobby bar at W Hotel or the wine bar at the Ritz Carlton. Or just go to Las Olas Blvd and walk around.

Gallery One is closest to the beach. None of them have free shuttles but fee shuttles can be arranged. All serve breakfast but it's included at Embassy.

You could go for drinks at YOLO or the lobby bar at W Hotel or the wine bar at the Ritz Carlton. Or just go to Las Olas Blvd and walk around.

Thanks Cruz.

Sorry that I have not wrote about our group profile but we are thinking about more of a tour around with 5 kids from 1 to 7 years old.

I have the embassy suites booked for a 2 night stay before our cruise in January but I've heard alot of cruisers talk about galleryone. Is there a Walgreens, cvs or food store in walking distance? I will need to pick up some things before we board the cruise. I know embassy is in perfect location for that but would be nice to be on the beach.

I have the embassy suites booked for a 2 night stay before our cruise in January but I've heard alot of cruisers talk about galleryone. Is there a Walgreens, cvs or food store in walking distance? I will need to pick up some things before we board the cruise. I know embassy is in perfect location for that but would be nice to be on the beach.

re: Gallery One. Yes, Publix is one block away and CVS is 3 blocks away. It is not on the beach. It's a few blocks away.

Edited by royalcruz

Thanks Cruz.

Sorry that I have not wrote about our group profile but we are thinking about more of a tour around with 5 kids from 1 to 7 years old.

Have them take you to Lauderdale by the Sea for dessert. It's a very small area, but you have beach, several ice cream and yogurt shops, a few stores, and a game for kids in the median (bean bag toss). Sometimes on weekends there is a band playing and the streets are pedestrian only. It's very family friendly. This is just north of Ft Lauderdale.

Looking for a nice place to stay pre cruise in April out of Ft. Laud. We would love to find a place on the beach, as we will have an 8 yr old with us and no car. Like to have restaurants close by or nice place to eat at resort. Last year we stayed at Sonesta a nice resort but it was pretty far from port and on a main road. Would also love a nice pool. Do not need shuttle as we will cab to port.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Sharon:)

PS we also stayed at Sheraton was nice and would consider again. Do they still have prices on priceline?

Looking for a nice place to stay pre cruise in April out of Ft. Laud. We would love to find a place on the beach, as we will have an 8 yr old with us and no car. Like to have restaurants close by or nice place to eat at resort. Last year we stayed at Sonesta a nice resort but it was pretty far from port and on a main road. Would also love a nice pool. Do not need shuttle as we will cab to port.

Anyone have any ideas?

PS we also stayed at Sheraton was nice and would consider again. Do they still have prices on priceline?

The 3 hotels on the beach closest to the port are Lago Mar, Marriott Harbor Beach, and B Ocean. They all have restaurants but April prices will be high. The Sheraton is now the B Ocean. Sonesta is actually only about 4 miles from the port. You might like the Bahia Mar or Westin...they are across the street from the beach but there are bridges over the main road. They are walking distance to restaurants and have places to eat on site.

Anyone have any ideas?

Try valuetrips.com you'll find their info and people's experiences all over the board. I made a reservation through them, and took a few days to get a response. Call the hotel and they'll verify if you have a reservation and email you one if you like. This was by far the cheapest option for my upcoming cruise, and it's close to storea, resturants, and not far from the port.

Try valuetrips.com you'll find their info and people's experiences all over the board. I made a reservation through them, and took a few days to get a response. Call the hotel and they'll verify if you have a reservation and email you one if you like. This was by far the cheapest option for my upcoming cruise, and it's close to storea, resturants, and not far from the port.

Good suggestion, but there are no Valuetrips hotels in the beach area in Ft Lauderdale.

Edited by royalcruz

I'll be staying at the Renassance 2 days per cruise in November 2015. Since I am traveling solo, is that area safe for walking alone? Also what would be some fun activities in the area.

Thanks

It is in a safe area - lots of tourists/cruisers! Check out http://www.sunny.org for activities. The one most highly recommended on this board (and I concur :D) is the water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com) - the closest stop is just down the block from the Renaissance. Another site to check out for inexpensive transportation is the sun trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com).