New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

This appears to be new:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Simple.action?requestPage=koningsdam_LP&himage=no

One 7 day itinerary, February 20, 2016.

Two different 12 day itineraries, alternating, between February 27 and May 9.

All are round-trip Rome.

Yes. Yes it does. Not sure if they mean to have it on there or not since it's not December 1st so I'm going to take some screen shots I can refer to for later... just in case :)

Thanks for pointing that out!

Edit:

I stand corrected - they've adjusted the micro site.

I REALLY wish I had enough time I could take the 19 day. Think I might have to do the 7 plus a few days on our own through Italy. And as you can see, I've adjusted my signature accordingly :)

Edited by InTheWASide

Here's what they look like. The prices look VERY reasonable for a new ship. Of course the weather isn't necessarily optimal at that time of year which may play a part but this has me even more excited now :D :D

US1__MP.jpg

US2__MP.jpg

US3__MP.jpg

US4__MP.jpg

Edited by InTheWASide

I'm impressed that the prices seem reasonable. Thought they might be higher, though Feb in the Med is off season. Princess initially charged more for Regal and Royal than their older ships.

There was talk of an initial 4day shakedown cruise - it has to get from Venice to Rome - and 4 days is about right for that. Wonder if they will offer that for sale, or if it will be a PR cruise for industry folks, travel agents, press, etc.

...There was talk of an initial 4day shakedown cruise - it has to get from Venice to Rome - and 4 days is about right for that. Wonder if they will offer that for sale, or if it will be a PR cruise for industry folks, travel agents, press, etc.

I had the same thought. I suspect it will be a "shakedown" non-revenue cruise with invited guests because there have been issues in the past where the maiden (revenue) voyage out of Venice had to be canceled* or shortened, or where the ship, staff and/or supplies were not adequately prepared for prime time.

I also had the thought that the 7 day initial cruise out of Rome was intentionally made short so a cancellation, if necessary, will be much less a problem.

HAL does have a history of well formulated contingency plans.

Click on news on this sight. It tells about the new ship. At the end of the article is a link to see a video of what will be on it, including the theater.I've never sailed HAL, but am seriously thinking about this ship. It looks beautiful, though beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Click on news on this sight. It tells about the new ship. At the end of the article is a link to see a video of what will be on it, including the theater.I've never sailed HAL, but am seriously thinking about this ship. It looks beautiful, though beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Welcome! You need a HAL cruise. Don't wait for the KONINGDAM.... give the NIEUW AMSTERDAM a cruise. It will give you a better taste of what HAL is about. :)

Stephen

Which reminds me: Are we allowed to ask whether we will see a new painting (or six) on Koningsdam? ;)

Oh yeah, good question!!

Hopefully Stephen will be painting a whole collection titled "The History of Koningsdam" - KIDDING I know it's the first time this name has been used :D

The repositioning from Rome to Rotterdam or England will be a fun cruise for her Northern Europe summer 2016 run will be interesting. Can't wait to see that itinerary.

I am waiting for that also.

? - Can that big ship get up the Maas to Rotterdam

http://koningsdam.hollandamerica.com/?WT.mc_id=email_HEP1447KDA&WT.dcsvid=501499669&stop_mobi=yes

Watch the people targeted in the attached clip. 40's & 50's folks. Plus family suites with "KIDS" Yikes.... ;)

The ship sure looks sleek and pretty too!

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I don't think they are trying to capture the kid market. I just scanned the deck plans for a "Big Main Deck J" that our family loves on other HAL ships and didn't see ANY quad interiors. There are a handful of family OV cabins, but relatively few quads overall. I hope the family cabins are as spacious as our favorite main deck J cabins and we will enjoy the additional shower and sink.

http://koningsdam.hollandamerica.com/?WT.mc_id=email_HEP1447KDA&WT.dcsvid=501499669&stop_mobi=yes

Watch the people targeted in the attached clip. 40's & 50's folks. Plus family suites with "KIDS" Yikes.... ;)

The ship sure looks sleek and pretty too!

I would expect that is who they would be trying to attract. We in the senior set may be their past and present but we are not their future. We may book cruises this year, next year and for many, lots of years to come but reality is the 40 and 50 somethings in usual circumstances would have lots more years of travel.

The downside to that set is COLLEGE tuitions. The senior have educated their kids, funded weddings, helped with the kids house downpayments (in some cases), have planned our retirements and have the time and cash,,,,,, now.

Edited by sail7seas

There is an entire lengthy thread dedicated to her already: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031402&page=17

The Hosts are Quick.. As of 11:45 p.m. this thread has ben combined with the 33 pages of the other thread..

Thank's Walt.

Edited by serendipity1499

We just received a mariners email with the first voyages of the Koningsdam.

They are bookable per 1 dec 2014.

All are round trips out of Rome.

7-nachten Premier Voyage 20 feb 2016

19-nachten Premier Voyage & Turkisch treasures Collectors’ Voyage 20 feb 2016.

12-nachten Griekse & Turkse Schatten 27 feb 2016

12-nachten Mediterrane Mozaïek 10th march 2016.

In dutch:

http://media.hollandamerica.com/2014_email/11Nov14/110314_Koningsdam_launch/html/koningsdam_LP_nl.html?WT.mc_id=email_HEP1447NL&WT.dcsvid=377935267&stop_mobi=yes