please help- Deko Rome or Albergo del Senato?

sr5242

I'm trying to decide between Deko Rome and Albergo del Senato for one night stay pre cruise- want to see major sights- any help is appreciated!

Do not know about Deko Rome, but Albergo del Senato is wonderful small hotel. We had a room that overlooked the Pantheon which was just wonderful. If I were only there for a night I would spring for the $$(it is pricey) and stay there again. So many site are easily walkable from there. Enjoy, whatever you choose!:)

Do not know about Deko Rome, but Albergo del Senato is wonderful small hotel. We had a room that overlooked the Pantheon which was just wonderful. If I were only there for a night I would spring for the $$(it is pricey) and stay there again. So many site are easily walkable from there. Enjoy, whatever you choose!:)

thanks!

I know the Albergo del Senato well, it's my favorite hotel in Rome. :)

I don't know anything about the Deko, but I looked up the location and it is certainly a lot further away from most of the central sites. If you want to be conveniently located AND be in a great area for walking around in the evening it's hard to beat the del Senato. Lots of good restaurants nearby and fun to enjoy and take part in the evening "passeggiato" (i.e., strolling).

Thanks!

Can you recommend a nice place for dinner near senato?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I CAN !! Many will say to stay away from the restaurants on the main Piazzas….such as Piazza Navonna - but our favorite restaurant is there.

Panzirone is right on Piazza Navonna overlooking the fountains and we love to sit outside and people watch.

http://www.panzirone.it/en/menu.php

Their pumpkin soup is to die for and they also have another Roman specialty that I absolutely love…… I have to restrain myself from licking the bowl…..

It is the beef medallions with onions, celery, carrots and tomatoes - YUM

I have also had the homemade ravioli and others traveling with us have had other items on the menu and none disappointed.

We have eaten there numerous times now (on different visits to Rome) and still we go back every time we visit……

PS: We have also stayed at Albergo del Senato a couple of times…… ask for room 207 - on the front with the balcony !!!! Might not get it but it can't hurt to ask.

Edited by texancruzer
Add a p.s.

There are dozens of restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel. I hesitate to recommend one because dining can be so subjective. Unfortunately, I haven't had as good an experience as Texancruzer when it comes to frequenting restaurants directly on major piazzas (including the Pantheon, Piazza della Rotonda, and Piazza Navona). Food is more important to me than a view, but I visit Rome often and you may feel differently if you only have one night there.

I prefer to walk -- even a few blocks is fine -- away from these areas and try my luck down some of the smaller streets. I have found some good restaurants this way. (I also am not shy about asking locals in the area, such as people working in shops, for a recommendation.)

I would caution you against asking for a recommendation through the hotel itself. I've tried this a couple of times and both times ended up not entirely thrilled with the result. (Pricey restaurants with "just okay" food.)

It's a good idea to walk around, look at a few menus, and see what appeals to you. Most restaurants don't open until 7:00 or 7:30 pm and they won't get crowded until at least another hour after that. Don't go for a place that has someone aggressively hawking outside the door.

It used to be a good idea to warn folks to avoid places with an English menu -- but it's getting hard to find ANY place these days that doesn't have an English menu, lol, and it would knock some places that I consider very good off the list.

I can absolutely recommend a restaurant near the Pantheon. It's one of my two favorite restaurants in Rome. Armando al Pantheon. A small restaurant, famous for their excellent Roman cuisine. A Chowhound.com favorite. Every time I go to Rome, I make this place my first dinner.

If you are facing the Pantheon, it is on the side street on the right side of the Pantheon, maybe a half block. Google Maps shows it as 95 meters from the hotel, a 1 minute walk. Absolutely necessary to make reservations for dinner. They have a website that you can book through. Their menus are there, too. Part of the website is in English. But, it's pretty easy to figure out. http://www.armandoalpantheon.it

If you go there, Thursday night special is gnocchi in gorgonzola sauce - Oh my! I think I've never ordered off the menu - their specials of each course are always tempting me away from the menu. In any case, be sure to save room for a slice of their Roman torta for dessert - I LOVE it!!!

I can absolutely recommend a restaurant near the Pantheon. It's one of my two favorite restaurants in Rome. Armando al Pantheon. A small restaurant, famous for their excellent Roman cuisine. A Chowhound.com favorite. Every time I go to Rome, I make this place my first dinner.

Unfortunately, the poster mentioned in another thread that they will be in Rome only on Saturday night -- which I happen to know is a night that Armando's is closed....

Again, I chuckle……. the ONLY absolutely inedible meal we have had in Rome was at a small restaurant down a small street (from our hotel near Spanish Steps - Hotel Mozart) on our first trip to Rome. We, too, had read to find one on a smaller street, family run with no one outside and no English menu…… the place itself looked nice but the food was terrible. And I am pretty easygoing and easy to please but not that easy :D And you are right Cynthia, what is great to one could be mediocre to another.

Unfortunately, the poster mentioned in another thread that they will be in Rome only on Saturday night -- which I happen to know is a night that Armando's is closed....

I didn't put together the two threads, so I missed that. That'll teach me to try to sneak peaks at CC and reply while I'm at work at night...