Ruby outdoor Trident Grill serving brisket

Orangefan

On my March 29th Ruby cruise, the outside grill ( serving hamburgers and hot dogs ) was offering BBQ brisket between 6-11 pm. They said they were trying it and not sure if it would be permanent. I did taste a slice and it was good. I think they were going to try wings also. I wonder if it was just the Ruby or were other Princess ships doing the same thing.

Sali

They were offering that when we were onboard the Ruby in February and it rotated on different nights. Pulled pork one night, brisket another and wings on a different evening. There may have been other items as well.

We specifically went for wings on three different occasions but had the wrong night.

It was very new then only having been started for two weeks according to the staff.

Mike:)

Edited by bhopal21

They offered Carolina pulled pork BBQ on the Royal Princess. DH was raised on Caroline pulled pork BBQ and couldn't wait to try it. Well, it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't Carolina pulled pork BBQ. It tasted like pork cooked in McCormick's taco seasoning. which I bet has never been done in eastern Carolina.

They offered Carolina pulled pork BBQ on the Royal Princess. DH was raised on Caroline pulled pork BBQ and couldn't wait to try it. Well, it wasn't bad, but it also wasn't Carolina pulled pork BBQ. It tasted like pork cooked in McCormick's taco seasoning. which I bet has never been done in eastern Carolina.

We saw that and I said, "I'm not going to try it so I won't be disappointed"

Thanks for reinforcing my thoughts.

They were offering that when we were onboard the Ruby in February and it rotated on different nights. Pulled pork one night, brisket another and wings on a different evening. There may have been other items as well.

We specifically went for wings on three different occasions but had the wrong night.

It was very new then only having been started for two weeks according to the staff.

Not so. They were doing it in December. And the brisket was awful. Perhaps by now they have learned how not to overcook it and dry it out.

Not so. They were doing it in December. And the brisket was awful. Perhaps by now they have learned how not to overcook it and dry it out.

Excuse me Arlene.

I will tell the staff they didn't know what they were talking about.:p

I was only relaying what I was told.

Try a little tact next time.

Edited by bhopal21

The Smokehouse BBQ was on the Star Princess last month. There were two different menus that were alternated each evening from 6PM until 11PM. It wasn't the best BBQ I've ever tasted, but it wasn't bad. I thought it was a nice addition to the Princess food offerings. Here are a few photos I took:

14008899812_53df3b3baa_c.jpgStar Princess - Hawaii Cruise by Jasperdo, on Flickr

13859227325_505a33f8b5_c.jpgStar Princess - Hawaii Cruise by Jasperdo, on Flickr

14008909091_a04f3cff17_c.jpgStar Princess - Hawaii Cruise by Jasperdo, on Flickr

14032099303_5617bafea8_c.jpgStar Princess - Hawaii Cruise by Jasperdo, on Flickr

13988979846_fb18da6840_c.jpgStar Princess - Hawaii Cruise by Jasperdo, on Flickr

As others have posted, the Smokehouse menu was introduced at the Trident Grill on the Royal. As with some other food options such as the Crab Shack, it appears that Princess is evaluating rollout to other ships. Nice to have more options, if the BBQ items are prepared well. Of course, "prepared well" depends upon the style of BBQ you are used to eating and there are many in the US ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

The men in my life love chicken wings, so they'd be pretty excited about that. :) Brisket, not so much. But still it's nice to hear they are trying new things.

I like wings myself but those pictured with that sauce slathered all over them don't look too appetizing.

I like wings myself but those pictured with that sauce slathered all over them don't look too appetizing.

After I read your post I had to go back and look at the pic. LOL! I didn't even recognize them as wings!:eek: I agree...they don't look too appealing to me either.

One day they had chef carved brisket in the Horizon Court. It was delicious. I never did try the Trident Grill. Just not enough time. (is there ever??)

What they call brisket in Horizon Ct. we call corned beef. And yes, it is delicious. Out at the grill it's overcooked beef.

You can ask for them without sauce. Surprisingly, the brisket didn't have any BBQ sauce on it. I didn't realize that until after I sat down with it, or I would have had them add some. They were pretty dry without it.

You can ask for them without sauce. Surprisingly, the brisket didn't have any BBQ sauce on it. I didn't realize that until after I sat down with it, or I would have had them add some. They were pretty dry without it.

Maybe one needs to bring along a bottle of Texas Pete, or Crystal.:rolleyes: