Which port to not get off the boat?

cruising_diva

We're sailing on the Dream on October 26th, going to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. This is our first 7 day cruise, and therefore the most port-heavy cruise we've been on. My husband admitted to me this morning that he really hates the hustle and bustle of getting off the ship, and he would really like to miss of one those ports, stay on the boat, and enjoy the nearly empty ship.:eek: (3 port days in a row does sound pretty exhausting to me, too!:o) So my question is, which port should we skip? We've been to Cozumel twice together, and I've been once on my own (total of 3 times for me) -- but we've never been to Chankanaab and that is what I really wanted to do this time. We just scored our FTTF today and one of the benefits is priority tendering, which would come in handy at Grand Cayman. To me, Montego Bay sounds like the best choice... but I'm not sure that missing ANY port is a good choice.

I need some advice from someone who has seen all of these ports. Input, please!!!

I would echo others and skip Jamaica, although we did do a fun rafting excursion down the river. But in terms of being able to do anything alone, I would not recommend it.

For Cozumel, we always go to Nachi Cocum. It is $55/person, which includes food, unlimited drinks of all persuasions, a beach chair under a palapa and - most important - they only take 100 people a day. It is pristine and uncrowded and quiet. They have a pool and hot tub as well, plus extra paid options like snorkeling trips, massages, and jet ski rentals. You grab a taxi at the port [$16 plus tip for 4]; they arrange a taxi back when you are ready to leave. It is a really relaxed day.

If you have never down Sting Ray City at Cayman, it is worth the effort. Having FTTF will make the whole tendering in easier, but it doesn't help on the return! Then you have to stand in line like everyone else. If you just want to wander around Georgetown, it is safe - get off the main drag a block or two and you can find neat little shops.

Have fun.

Sleep in one morning and then enjoy some pool time with no crowds. Then you can get off the ship once the rush is over.

There are plenty of fun things to do at all of these ports. Sometimes it's fun just to wander around in port and see what you can get into. Especially if you've been to a port before.

There are lots of times that I don't get off the ship. I love being on the ship when everyone else is off. There's not a thing wrong with that either. Ship time can be very enjoyable with no crowds.

Enjoy your cruise!

In my experience 2 ports out of 7 days is not enough. I would personally get off in all 3 ports, but both Cozumel and Grand Cayman are easy ports to find taxis or on shore excursions a little later after sleeping in and having a leisurely breakfast. You don't need to hustle and you don't need to spend a lot of time either.

Of the ports you listed -- I would stay on the ship in Montego Bay.

We have been to Jamaica several times and really don't care for the ports there.

Ditto! Don't get off in Montego Bay. I've been to Jamaica four times and that was four times too many! Stay on and enjoy all the services on the ship.

We have been going to Jamaica for almost 50 years. It is one of the most beautiful islands but also one of the most troubled. I cannot recommend anyone leave the ship and just wander. It's such a shame. Once outside Montego Bay driving up into the mountains is lush and with the proper driver/guide I would highly recommend this approach. Check out the Caribbean Ports of Call board to find just such a person.
We ended up doing an "almost sea day" in MoBay when we were there four years ago. We know better than to try to do anything on our own; the first time we were there we booked a ship's tour to Black River and it was a lot of fun (although my sons got carsick thanks to the bumpy, winding roads and our driver's speed:eek:). The next time we booked a catamaran sail and snorkel that had to be canceled due to the weather. We got off the ship, did some shopping at the port stores (Blue Mountain coffee is fantastic and a lot cheaper to buy in Jamaica than if you order it:cool:), and went back aboard the ship, enjoying having the ship pretty much to ourselves. However, if you've never been to Jamaica I'd highly recommend doing some research and booking a tour. It's a beautiful island - just not one where you want to go off on your own.

We're sailing on the Dream on October 26th, going to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. This is our first 7 day cruise, and therefore the most port-heavy cruise we've been on. My husband admitted to me this morning that he really hates the hustle and bustle of getting off the ship, and he would really like to miss of one those ports, stay on the boat, and enjoy the nearly empty ship.:eek: (3 port days in a row does sound pretty exhausting to me, too!:o) So my question is, which port should we skip? We've been to Cozumel twice together, and I've been once on my own (total of 3 times for me) -- but we've never been to Chankanaab and that is what I really wanted to do this time. We just scored our FTTF today and one of the benefits is priority tendering, which would come in handy at Grand Cayman. To me, Montego Bay sounds like the best choice... but I'm not sure that missing ANY port is a good choice.

I need some advice from someone who has seen all of these ports. Input, please!!!

As you see from the variety of answers it is a personal preference. We have often stayed on the ship. For your itinerary my preference would be staying aboard at Cozumel.

We were in Montego Bay two weeks ago for the first time and have no intention to get off the ship in any Jamaica port in the future. Montego Bay is a mirror image of the ofher Jamaica ports. Go see for yourself and deceide wheather you like the port or not.

Could you leave your hubby on the ship and go explore on your own anyway?

Thats what I would do if I didnt want to miss anything.

That is an option, as we are traveling with a few others and I wouldn't have to be alone. He probably wouldn't mind that. I know a lot of people wouldn't understand, but his idea of a vacation is there being as little required of him as possible. He works very hard, and prefers to do nothing when he doesn't have to do something. :) I like to see new places. Hubs said he likes to look from a distance, but doesn't care about seeing things up close and personal. :) He's not invested. Also, not a fan of crowds so the idea of a nearly empty ship is very appealing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I know a lot of people wouldn't understand, but his idea of a vacation is there being as little required of him as possible. He works very hard, and prefers to do nothing when he doesn't have to do something. :) I like to see new places. Hubs said he likes to look from a distance, but doesn't care about seeing things up close and personal. :) He's not invested. Also, not a fan of crowds so the idea of a nearly empty ship is very appealing.
One thing we love about cruise vacations is that we're not tied down to anything - unless we choose to. On a number of our cruises, DH has been just as happy to spend time on the balcony, reading. It certainly wasn't the case on our Baltic cruise last summer, and it won't be in Alaska this summer - but even so, we're looking forward to watching the Alaskan scenery go by - from our balcony.:)

Just my opinion only...I get very exhausted with a port heavy itinerary as well, but when we have been on 3 port days on a cruise versus the normal 4 port days, I consider it a lucky cruise with an extra day. :D

I would never find myself not getting off the ship, even if we have been there multiple times, because there's always something new to see and something new to experience. But this is just me.

IF I had to pick one of those stops, it would definitely be Montego Bay. The port is just by far one of the ugliest ports with basically nothing there (even if you just wanted to get off and look around the port...not worth it). But that's just what my decision would be. :)

I absolutely love Chankanaab for the snorkeling (and love Cozumel and find some place new to go every time) and I personally think Grand Cayman is beautiful and really want to go back. The stingray sandbar is amazing and so is the color of the water there. So many places I want to go there.

I would never skip a port, but that's just because that is part of what we love about cruises. That is what is so great about cruises as well - it is totally up to you! I know there are quite a few people who choose to stay on the ship to enjoy a nearly empty ship, which does has it appeal.

One option to consider maybe is your DH staying on the ship, and you can explore each port if that's what you want to do? I'm sure you can always find people to link up with or you always meet people during excursions.

Why not get off at every port? I never understand how people can go to an island, spend a few hours there and think they have "been there", are now experts and have seen the whole thing. Go to Chankanab and snorkel. Or walk the town. Or rent a car and go across the island.

Of course, we are doing a two week guided tour of Sicily this Fall and many people think they've been to Italy when they get off the ship in Rome and are back by dinner. We're renting an apartment in Rome and we've already spent about 11 days there. But we haven't gotten to the Appian Way, the Catacombs, missed a few churches, the Borghese Gallery, Ostia Antica, .... and there are quite a few more gelatos I still haven't tasted!!