Grand Circle Cruise Line

CruzinNoony

We have been on many ocean cruises and two river cruise (both with Viking).

Grand Circle Cruise Line has some very attractive rates. However, I can't find much about them on cruise critic or anywhere else. Has anyone sailed with them and if so, what did you think???:rolleyes:

Grand Circle and Vantage (they are owned by estranged brothers) are both cruise lines/tour companies that deal with mostly Americans and only thru online/phone/catalog sales (they don't use TA's and therefore don't have a big following on CC).

We have traveled 10 times with Vantage (land and cruise)and twice with GCT (land only). We have found them to be excellent companies and have enjoyed fabulous trips with them. They have very attractive rates and itineraries. Vantage has somewhat newer ships (several brand new ones).

Shop around and compare --itinerary, amenities, ships as well as price.

CruiizinNoony, we have traveled on several Grand Circle trips.....two more coming up. If you need a referral for a discount or if I can answer any questions please let me know.

I referred my neighbor for her first Grand Circle trip and she had so much fun she is ready to book another.

because I ve see quite a few reviews and comments here.

As with all the lines, some really LOVE them ,others not so much.

I prefer ones that use TA,as above poster said.Like the discounts,advice,back up etc...so because of that and the cabins,ships,etc with that company(I prefer more luxury,like full balcony,inc.tips,on and on).

When I was looking at them,did check BBB site and found many complaints>But that was few yrs.ago and have heard hear its improved now.

So check them all very carefully and find out what YOU prefer,we are all very different.;)

CruiizinNoony, we have traveled on several Grand Circle trips.....two more coming up. If you need a referral for a discount or if I can answer any questions please let me know.

I referred my neighbor for her first Grand Circle trip and she had so much fun she is ready to book another.

Sharon, I see you have done the one we are interested in: Essense of the Elbe. How was that particular cruise? How does the referral work for us to get a discount?;)

Sharon, I see you have done the one we are interested in: Essense of the Elbe. How was that particular cruise? How does the referral work for us to get a discount?;)

Yes, that is a wonderful cruise. Ship is very small, towns visited are great. That was one of our favorite trips.

IF you decide to book you would give them my name and GC number. We would both get a discount.

If you want my name and number please send a private email to

h2otstr at aol dot com.

because I ve see quite a few reviews and comments here.

As with all the lines, some really LOVE them ,others not so much.

I prefer ones that use TA,as above poster said.Like the discounts,advice,back up etc...so because of that and the cabins,ships,etc with that company(I prefer more luxury,like full balcony,inc.tips,on and on).

When I was looking at them,did check BBB site and found many complaints>But that was few yrs.ago and have heard hear its improved now.

So check them all very carefully and find out what YOU prefer,we are all very different.;)

I have not read anything negative about either. My DW and I are experienced ocean cruisers and took our first river cruise last year. As experienced travelers, we don't mind doing our own research and like to book our own air. We did a lot of research and decided to use Vantage. We were extremely pleased. Even with a TA discount, the other lines would have cost us more than we paid either Vantage. The ship was new and the cabins were great. We have not used GCT, but they should be similar with older ships.

We like Grand Circle and have done four cruises with them, three River cruises and a small ship coastal cruise. We also have several additional cruises we hope to take.

A few things they offer, while not unique, are not typical in the industry. Every trip has a " home hosted visit" with a local couple/family for a few hours of socializing. General, it is about six travelers at each home. It has become one of the things on the trip we look forward to.

The other is that there are several "program directors" with you for the entire trip. Even if you have a local guide for part of your time in a specific town, your PD is also with you. They also conduct walking/bus tours themselves. Several of the other lines have a cruise director on board who will turn you over to local guides at each stop.

Since I only know the Grand Circle model, I can't say it's better, only that I like it a lot.

We've done 6 or 7 river cruises on Vantage, Viking and GCT. A couple or more, each. All were outstanding, I would recommend any of the 3. We think not all that much difference between the 3. At this point we would only choose one over another based on dates, price, itinerary.

Another Grand Circle fan here...I've taken 1 river cruise and a cruise of the Adriatic with GCT, very happy with both, and have 2 more cruises upcoming.

GCT's river boats have "murphy" beds, but I found them perfectly comfortable.

I've also cruised with Uniworld twice, certainly fancier, but GCT was fine. Have also traveled with GCT on a land tour and have another coming up.

Upcoming: Hurtigruten Trollfjord, Nov. '14: Searching for the Northern Lights

GCT: Rhine Christmas markets, Dec. '14