Draft beer on sale

john101446

Sailed a few times from Southampton on Princess and the only draft beer they've had was Stella. The only British beer they have is cans of Boddingtons, Guineas(Irish I know) and bottles of Bass ale I haven't seen on sale in the UK for years. Unfortunately, Princess' beer offerings are rubbish to say the least. One of the only complaints I really have about them.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Draft Beer has four big problems on cruise ships.

1. The connectors for Asian and European beer kegs are different than the connectors for North American beer kegs. When the equipment is installed, the cruise line must choose between the two. For some strange reason, nobody has been able to come up with a universal connector. In most cases, if a cruise line wants to have draft beer, they opt for the American style connector. That means no affordable draft beer when the ship goes to Europe or Asia.

2. US Public Health Service believes that the design of draft beer taps is not acceptable for use on cruise ships. Every time they do an inspection, we take a big risk of losing points for the beer taps.

3. Conventinal wisdom tells us that buying things in bulk results in lower prices. But this is not the case with draft beer and cruise ships. In North America, draft beer costs us nearly double - per serving - what we pay for bottled or canned beer. The spillage and wastage associated with draft beer increases our costs even more.

4. Then we have to deal with the kegs. We put a large deposit on the kegs when they are delivered, ensuring that we will return the empties to get our money back. But too often we do not empty the kegs until we have left the particular continent they came from. We are then forced to store the empties for as long as 6 months until we return. We just don't have that kind of space to waste, so we end up scrapping the empty kegs and losing our deposit, driving up the costs even higher.

Edited by BruceMuzz

My husband is a home brewer and is very particular about his beer. And being from Oregon we are very spoiled as we not only have the most microbrews per capita but also in our opinion the best craft beers. The beer selection on Princess is very much lacking and is the one thing my husband consistently complains about with Princess. The pub should have a few offerings on tap, but we usually stick with the canned European/UK beers.

Princess if you are listening, wine drinkers are not the only ones with particular palates! Beer drinkers are people too! :)

The only draft beer I've seen recently on any Princess ship in various locations is Stella Artois. Years ago they had bottles of Alaskan Brewing Ale in Alaska (even had beer glasses etched with Alaskan/Princess logos for $2) but nothing else related to the area traveled.

Princess should take note of what P&O are doing with Britannia next year. They will be selling about 70 different british beers, lagers and ciders. Mostly in cans and bottles.

Bottled beer can be as good as draught so it would not be rocket science for Princess to have a larger offering of beer on their european sailings, preferable by next summer when I will be aboard Emerald ;)

Last October Stella was $7.76 a pint, I have seen bottles of Old Speckled Hen which is a good draught substitute!

Edited by CCFC
Spelling AGAIN...

Do they serve Stella in those nice Stella chalices and in pints?

Anyone know the cost of a pint?

Thanks

The last time I bought draft beer it was in a plastic cup because it was from a bar adjacent to a pool & was similar to a water glass in the buffet. For me it didn't stay cold long enough when put into a warm plastic cup to fully enjoy it so I drink glass bottles of beer instead.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Any idea of bottled beer prices. Anybody got a drinks price menu.

Thanks

Lou

As I recall it's $4.50 for bottles of domestic beer & $4.75 for imports with larger aluminium bottles of Bud/Bud Light a little bit more (plus 15% tip on all drinks). You can get a "free" beer when purchasing a room service package or a "bucket" of beer from a bar. I think the room service is 5 for the price of 4 & the bucket is 6 for the price of 5...or something like that.

Do they serve Stella in those nice Stella chalices and in pints?

Anyone know the cost of a pint?

Thanks

On the Sea Day, there is a fish n chips lunch in the pub. My husband threw back a few Stella pints. They were in the challis.

On Cruise Personalizer, you can view the Gifts and Services PDF. It has several drink and cellar options on page 7. I don't know draft beer prices from the pub (even though we just were on Ruby), but the bottle special is listed there.