Why is theater entertainment so poor?

elou

On several of our cruises we have had a guitarist in the Crow's Nest.

Had the mike turned up to blast us out of there.

The guitarist ruined a nice quiet drink in the Crow's Nest for us last summer. We left (very few people were there) but we probably should have asked him to lower the volume. We may have been doing him and other passengers a favor!

Hi, I will be going on my third cruise in August, my first with Holland America, but I am writing this as the mom of a performer doing her first contract right now. I just want to say that while I totally understand that the big theatre shows might not be to everyone's taste, please at least give them a chance and do realize that these performers have worked incredibly hard getting ready to put these shows on. I'm pretty sure that choosing performing as a job is never about trying to get rich, but it is because of an incredible passion to get on that stage and entertain people. From what little I know as of now, there has been a lot of excitement, energy, creativity, talent and really hard work going into getting these shows ready. Maybe give them a try with the thought in mind that these people are so happy to be up there entertaining you!

We do go to the shows and enjoy most of them. The stage is small and the ship is rocking and they offer a reasonably entertaining show. We have taken the backstage tour and it is interesting. Most of the entertainers seem very nice and they are also called upon to handle other duties on the ship. In code red they may have to dish up food in the Lido.

I have not seen the shows on other cruise lines. We talked to some of the HAL entertainers and some see it as a stable job in an industry where it is hard to find work. I have seen the quality of the dancing improve but the formula for the singers frequently means the male and female leads are not as talented as the backups. Our favorite show last year on the Eurodam was "Garage Band".

If you don't like the showroom entertainment you can always go to the movie or the piano bar and sing along.

Hi, I will be going on my third cruise in August, my first with Holland America, but I am writing this as the mom of a performer doing her first contract right now. I just want to say that while I totally understand that the big theatre shows might not be to everyone's taste, please at least give them a chance and do realize that these performers have worked incredibly hard getting ready to put these shows on. I'm pretty sure that choosing performing as a job is never about trying to get rich, but it is because of an incredible passion to get on that stage and entertain people. From what little I know as of now, there has been a lot of excitement, energy, creativity, talent and really hard work going into getting these shows ready. Maybe give them a try with the thought in mind that these people are so happy to be up there entertaining you!

Nicely put!

I LOVED "Droom"! I thought it was several notches above the usual showroom offerings. In fact, I had asked someone (I forget if it was the cruise director, the events manager or the male lead singer) if they were still with Stiletto Entertainment, because it was so good that I thought they had changed production companies!

I was on the 11-day itinerary on the Noordam and unfortunately "Classique" wasn't offered during our sailing, but I've heard good things about that one as well.

We did both the 11 and 10 day on the Noordam so got to see "Classique" and it was also excellent. We saw both Classique and Droom on the Ryndam in 2013 just after they were introduced - they were good there and even better on the Noordam since they had a larger cast.

^^^ Couldn't agree more! On another note ... maybe the public schools should STOP cutting their funding of music and arts programs. If kids don't get started early, how will anyone know if they have that special talent to sing and dance on a HAL ship when they get older? Not everyone can make it on The Voice or American Idol, etc. Anyone who does is probably not going to be on a cruise ship staff. Please promote Music and Arts in YOUR public school. Off my soapbox now.

Arts should definitely be funded and schools should not have to choose between the arts and paying employees and the electric bill, etc. That's my soap box issue, too. One of the stage performers on HAL went to the arts magnet school in the district where I worked.

I imagine the stage show issue is a matter of $$$$ and taste. On the Rotterdam my favorite act was not well received by some other passengers. (I'm playing their CD in the car right now, loved the act myself.) I've sailed other lines where you could count on having Eastern European acrobats and a magician on every cruise. I've got to think they come cheap. They're very good as a rule, but we just go to a lounge act as I've had my fill of acrobats and magicians, no matter how good. I love comedians but you don't get them sometimes on cruises where there are many non-English speakers.

As a musician I'm going to give another view...

When we were on the Westy's Hawaii/SP cruise in the Fall of '12, the 1 lounge band (all very capable musicians) had a captive audience every night and they were asked for the same tunes to be played so that the audience could "dance". These tunes weren't played to their original tempo, they weren't the funeral dirges that Adagio was asked to play every night, but the tunes (all from 40s/50s/60s) weren't played up to tempo.

As a musician that is very tiring, you grow to loathe the tunes. Non musicians don't really notice it, but I did as I heard the same lines played within the song. To a creative person that is what you do when things are stagnant, you use the vocabulary that gets you through the song/night.

Mark, the saxophonist and band leader, always asked for new requests, so one night I couldn't take it any longer and asked for a piece from the same era as all the other tunes, but something that would at least freshen their musical minds/ears/fingers. I asked for John Coltrane's classic "Giant Steps" and I asked for some extended solos. Mark's face LIT UP.

The band played a ripping version! Mark did awesome John Coltrane sheets of sound lines, the pianist went all Thelonius Monk, the drums did everything but keep time during most of the tune and the bass just worked the lower register.

Of course all the dancers, who apparently hadn't heard of the tune (which is considered by the world as an American Classic), all left in a huff. Mark even asked why they were leaving as Giant Steps was firmly in their era/generation. With the lounge now emptied out, they played 3 total Coltrane pieces and ripped. It was unfortunate that the "fans" had left as they missed a trio of truly inspired performances.

Derek

Last cruise the best entertainment there was "Paperback Writer" a Beatles tribute group and "Catch A Wave" Beach Boys tribute group. Absolutely amazing. They had people dancing in the aisles. I would love to see them again on a HAL cruise.

Sounds great, I enjoy a good tribute band and would love to see a Beach Boys tribute. I've seen a few Abba and Beatles - some good, some not so good - but always entertaining.

As a musician I'm going to give another view...

When we were on the Westy's Hawaii/SP cruise in the Fall of '12, the 1 lounge band (all very capable musicians) had a captive audience every night and they were asked for the same tunes to be played so that the audience could "dance". These tunes weren't played to their original tempo, they weren't the funeral dirges that Adagio was asked to play every night, but the tunes (all from 40s/50s/60s) weren't played up to tempo.

As a musician that is very tiring, you grow to loathe the tunes. Non musicians don't really notice it, but I did as I heard the same lines played within the song. To a creative person that is what you do when things are stagnant, you use the vocabulary that gets you through the song/night.

Mark, the saxophonist and band leader, always asked for new requests, so one night I couldn't take it any longer and asked for a piece from the same era as all the other tunes, but something that would at least freshen their musical minds/ears/fingers. I asked for John Coltrane's classic "Giant Steps" and I asked for some extended solos. Mark's face LIT UP.

The band played a ripping version! Mark did awesome John Coltrane sheets of sound lines, the pianist went all Thelonius Monk, the drums did everything but keep time during most of the tune and the bass just worked the lower register.

Of course all the dancers, who apparently hadn't heard of the tune (which is considered by the world as an American Classic), all left in a huff. Mark even asked why they were leaving as Giant Steps was firmly in their era/generation. With the lounge now emptied out, they played 3 total Coltrane pieces and ripped. It was unfortunate that the "fans" had left as they missed a trio of truly inspired performances.

Derek

I bet you made the bartender and waiters real happy ! :rolleyes:

Edited by taxmantoo

I think the onboard entertainment staff works very hard week in and week out to please a diverse group of cruisers who's taste is so wide ranging, that the task becomes almost impossible..another factor is that these days so many are repeat guests and want something different...I would suspect a first time cruiser might view the entertainment from a different perspective

A slightly different take...on our annual charter Jazz cruise, all the entertainment is provided by the promoter...however, Capital Jazz works very closely with the onboard CD staff to provide opportunities for the working (non entertainment ) staff who can play Jazz to be a part of the midnight allstar jam sessions with the world famous Jazz musicians...it is not uncommon to see your room steward, MDR waiter, engine room worker or your lido deck omlette cook, finish their shift, change clothes and be backing up on the horn section with Tower of Power...their coworkers stand outside the doors of the packed main showroom and beam with pride when the host introduces the staff for a solo...of course the next morning at the omelette stand guests make him feel like a star and take pics with him

It's too bad cruiselines do not send out pre cruise surveys 120 days in advance to gauge what type of entertainment guests would like to or expect to see...and then fine tune their onboard product entertainment product to reflect more the majority taste on any given cruise

The good news is the newer mega ships are designed to eliminate the huge showroom and MDR and having several smaller venues for both entertainment and dining, so it will be possible to have 4-6 evening options instead of 1

Sometimes the solo guitarist is excellent and sometimes not. In 2012 on the Volendam, there was a young man from South Africa that played nearly every evening in the Piano Bar area and he really packed the people in! People were standing is the walkway at the side of the lounge to listen to him.

Yes !! Micheal is his name, he is fabulous. I believe he is on Volendam again right now. I never missed a night in 55 nights on the Volendam. On another note, I feel for performers, I guess there is only so many songs you can sing.. 3 or 4 hours a night, every night for 6 months or more. and not feel stale or jaded

Would your performing child be a female named Kristen?

Pharmom is correct.

The cast doesn't write the show. They perform it. And it's hard work dancing at sea. Motion of ocean doesn't make it easier.

We were on the Oosterdam in rough seas a few years ago. The dance troupe was 8, I think. By the time the late show ended on a particularly rough night, 5 of the dancers were down with injuries. Sometimes there is an element of bravery that few people even think about.

Haven't been on the larger ships (vista, etc). The older/smaller ships have a very small stage with extremely limited technical capabilities. For the "Cast" shows, there is very little that you can do with just 8 performers, one set, and not much more that a turntable. Keep in mind that the size of the Hal Cats continues to be reduced. The company that develops and produces the shows is Stilletto Entertainment (I believe they are out of LA). They have been the contracting company for as long as we have been sailing with HAL (over 12 years). The shows are not much more that musical "reviews" of songs everyone knows rather than traditional "Broadway" book shows. A reason for this is that book shows required the payment of royalties per performance which can be high. The reviews are much cheaper to put on.

It is difficult to have imagination in production design when you have the limitations imposed on them. Stilletto holds periodic auditions around the country, and the entertainers are not bad. They can only deal with the material they are presented with.

As for the individual performers that are hired on. I do tend to see the same people often, with the exact same show. With so many repeaters, HAL has to make a choose: to do a lot of work auditioning different entertainers, or stay with the same people. Which is easier and cheaper to do. Still with so many "loyal" repeat passengers, who whats to see the same shows over and over again. One alternative is to reduce the number of Cast productions and outside entertainers. So, now we have game show nights, and dancing with the stars, all of which are passenger driven evenings. In addition, big screen movie nights in the show lounge.

I have observed that, over the years, HAL has tried to tinker with the entertainment (Cast shows, individual guest entertainers, the timing of the performances) to make their passengers happier and, in many cases to save some money. I believe that the results have not been all that successful. If you are looking for high quality entertainment in the show lounge, HAL is clearly not the place for you. If you enjoy lounge type stuff HAL provides a piano bar, as well as the Explorer Lounge and Ocean Bar. That works for me.

The above comments are my observations only, coming from someone with over 30 years of experience in non-professional theater. I do not claim to be an expert... only providing my thoughts.

We were on the Oosterdam in rough seas a few years ago. The dance troupe was 8, I think. By the time the late show ended on a particularly rough night, 5 of the dancers were down with injuries. Sometimes there is an element of bravery that few people even think about.

Very true, I will be anxious to hear from my daughter what it's like on the stage if they hit rough seas.:(