Drink Package-how did you like it?

Remember if you are on a long cruise and the first couple days are port days...you can purchase the package for the last 4 days.

If that were only true. You have to buy the package for all days of the cruise. You can't just buy for the days you think you would use it.

Ref post 73

Not sure why we need to care what the CDC or USDA has to say about how we lead our lives.

Also if you've never tried coffee with Baileys in the morning you might want to. IT can be used anytime of the day morning, noon, night.

Ya think?

My husband had the $55 package on our week long cruise in May. It was a convenience thing more than anything. He averaged out to pretty close to the $55 a day if he figured in his drinks + the tips that would have been added on if he did it individually.

My parents were with us and didn't do the drink packages. My mom forgot her corkscrew for her cabin but found a very nice bartender that was more than happy to open her bottles for her. She did tip him nicely even though he refused at first.

She talked with another bartender on her RCI cruise in January and he told her there is actually a limit on alcoholic beverages you can order per day but RCI doesn't tell anyone that little tidbit. It's 15 alcoholic beverages, or so he says. So maybe one day RCI will come out and say it really isn't unlimited booze due to a liability issue. I mean, if we were on land in a bar the bartender could stop serving someone who is totally sloshed. Do the bartenders on a cruise ship have that ability, or does pleasing the passenger so they don't get a bad remark on the follow up survey come into play?

It is possible the bartender that told you mother that didn't know the policy. There is no maximum drink number per day on RCI. If you can drink it you have it. It is very definitely unlimited, so RCI doesn't need to throw that tidbit in.

If that were only true. You have to buy the package for all days of the cruise. You can't just buy for the days you think you would use it.

No, you do not have to purchase for the entire cruise. You can purchase at any point as long as a)there are a minimum of 4 days left and b) you must purchase for all remaining days. You cannot select individual days

You only pay for the days you buy. You must buy at least 4 consecutive days, and they must extend to the end of the cruise

I wish it were true, but it ain't. You can get the package within the first 3 days but you still have to pay for 7 days.

Check again. You do have to purchase for at least 4 consecutive days and go to the end of the cruise.

You are not charged for 7 days. Only the 4 days you would use the package.

Really restasured do you actually think companies can charge you for something you don't use?

Would love to see a lawyer get their hands on that.

I wish it were true, but it ain't. You can get the package within the first 3 days but you still have to pay for 7 days.

I can vouch that you do not have to pay for 7 days; you only pay from the time you purchase it through the end of the cruise.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5804

While you can't just select certain days, you can buy it as long as there are at least four days remaining. Bob, Bekka, Beerman and other posters are correct with their specifics in recent posts.

Edited by 1 Buffett Fan

NO! You are getting confused. You can purchase after, say, 3 days into the cruise, once it is for the remaining days. Yes, you can't just purchase individual days on a whim.

NO!

Please stop confusing people!

Edited by nclsuncruiser

Your wish has been answered as the others are correct. Read the policy. It is very clear.

"The all-inclusive packages are available for purchase throughout the voyage with at least 4 days remaining. They must be purchased for the duration of the cruise, prorated price based on date of purchase".

Edited by mildew1951

This may have been addressed here already, but I thought I read somewhere that Margarita's made with Patron weren't included? If it's because they're more than the $10 allowed for mixed drinks, are we able to just pay the difference?

Another thing that confuses me a little bit about the Premium package, is there are certain beers on the menu that aren't included in the package, period. For instance, if you wanted an IPA (I forget the brand), or a Foster's, it's not included in the package. It has nothing to do with the price; they're not included. Granted there's a wide variety of beers to choose from that are included, but the two my husband would order most, happen to be the ones with an asterisk next to them. Go figure. We still have ordered the Ultimate Package for both weeks of our upcoming cruise.

So the beer & wine package doesn't include all the beer that's available onboard? Those are the best one's... deal breaker for me, glad I was snoopin around on the subject. Thank you. PS the IPA onboard is red hook... and it's deliscous.

Edited by Stags14

A new thread has just been started on a similar subject here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073711

It lists exactly what's included in each package. I'm sure it's been posted before.

Some have stated that I may have to join AA after my 7 day cruise with a premium package. Maybe so - but I'll still have 7 carefree days of not worrying about my bar bill - or my liver. :-)

The package works for some and not others. That's the beauty of it being OPTIONAL. I believe the OP was asking those who HAD purchased the all-inclusive package if they liked it. Don't think they were looking to be made to feel bad. Just saying.

I still love that this thread has 17 pages! We are an opinionated bunch!

PS - Bob - I LOVE what a wealth of information you seem to be. Thanks for answering a lot of questions!

What other juices are available onboard? I only see discussion regarding freshly squeezed orange juice. Is cranberry juice available?

Depends on the ship. On Freedom or Oasis class, there are juice bar type venues with more choices. Other ships might only have the fresh squeezed OJ.

• 1 month later...
I can't find this question answered anywhere. Are you allowed to walk around the ship with drink (beer/cocktail) in hand? Or like any bar restaurant, you must finish before you leave?

You can take it anywhere with you except in the pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm debating about getting the $55 a day drink package. It sounds so convenient no signing, no hauling water & soda on board. Not sure if I would spend $55 a day. Would be interested in hearing about your experience. And can you use it on a coffee liquor after dinner drink?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I did the 20 dollar a day, just coffee tea soda.. It was worth it

I can't find this question answered anywhere. Are you allowed to walk around the ship with drink (beer/cocktail) in hand? Or like any bar restaurant, you must finish before you leave?

Ever been to Vegas? It's kind of like that. Buy a drink in one area and take it where ever you want! Just no drunkin puking in the streets! :D

We like to pick up a drink from a bar and then head back to our cabin to enjoy it on the balcony!

• 3 weeks later...

My DH and I will be getting the ultimate package and my DS will get the replenish.

I am looking forward to two coffee drinks in the morning, a mudslide by the pool, a beer with lunch, another drink by the pool in the afternoon and a couple glasses of wine with dinner. Increased activity will keep up with consumption. A few bottles of water over the day will meet the package price. On Labadee, we'll enjoy what we want without worry of the price. Another coffee after dinner.

We had the premium packages on our cruise and it was very convenient. I definitely came out on top in terms of drinks per day and my wife probably broke even.

That said, I'm not going to get it next time. I drank more than I normally would have because I had the package. Hitting the daily quota became a running joke and goal every day. It just made drinking a higher priority than it otherwise would have been. I was kinda like a college student at a buffet - pack away as much as you can while you still don't have to pay any more for it LOL.

Next time I'll get the soda package because I drink a lot of sodas, and buy my drinks individually. I'll have fewer drinks and will spend less than I did on the package, particularly on the days with excursions.

We are trying this for the first time on our five night Vision cruise at the end of October.

It took me a long time to decide but my thinking was...

1] With soda, beer and wine included plus our switch to earlier dining and planning only one excursion I have no doubt I can make money on the deal.

2] My BW is on a new med for her acid reflux which she says works great. So she is prepared to pull her weight on the bar front.

3] While I certainly could give myself alcohol poisoning on a five night cruise, my odds of of avoiding it are much better than they would be on a seven, ten or twelve night.

So if you happen to see me on my cruise, stop and say "Hi!" [Just don't expect me to remember meeting you the next day.] icon11.gif

Edited by Mr. Superman

What specialty tea's are available? Being from the SOUTH, I drink a lot of "Lipton Tea". I was just wondering what the options might be.:confused:

We plan on buying the "Ultimate Package":D, and noticed they offered "premium tea".

What specialty tea's are available? Being from the SOUTH, I drink a lot of "Lipton Tea". I was just wondering what the options might be.:confused:

We plan on buying the "Ultimate Package":D, and noticed they offered "premium tea".

Here are some choices from Enchantment, which would be similar to other ships:

Enchantment_Cafe_Latte-Tudes.JPG

We bring our two bottles of wine on board, order one at dinner, have occasional drinks at the pool and at the show if we can grab a waiter's attention. We don't drink soda and take refillable insulated cups on board because we don't like the idea of the millions of empty water bottles taking over the planet.

On our first 7-day cruise, our bill at the end of the cruise was about $350. On our last 10- and 9-day cruises our bill was ~ $600 and $800. Both of these included large (over $200) purchases of liquor, specialty dining and gratuities. I really think we would have to make a concerted effort to drink enough to make a package worthwhile.

But more power to those of you who do.

Thank you, thank you for the info !!

We have 2 months & 1 day.... 1st cruise EVER & we are excited... can't wait

Can't say that I've ever heard of any of the tea's listed but I betcha I can down a few of the iced café lattes without any problems.

Edited by jdg134

I am sorry if this has been posted in the 11 pages of posts before this--but, the assumption the OP made were not true for us.

We had the Premium drink package on our TA earlier this month. We were presented a slip to sign for each drink. Since the package has gratuities included in it this made me feel awkward. There was a line to add a tip. I would draw a line through it and sign. It made me feel cheap. I did not nearly drink enough to get my money's worth and I felt the bartenders were miffed I did not add an additional tip. [so before everyone flames me that I should have added a tip I remind you that individual drinks have a 15% grat listed. The vast majority of pax sign these and they are on their way. My package already has this 15% grat built in.

I will not get this again. I do not feel there is any convenience.