Should I buy trip insurance?

Seas_Please

I am just looking into MedJet Assist ...If I was to be stricken on the ship I would still need evac coverage for this to an hospital then after that MedJet takes over to get me home if need be? Or do they also cover evac from ship.

No.

MedJetAssist covers you ONCE YOU ARE HOSPITALIZED (as an inpatient, not just the ER).

Correct. We have Med Jet Assist as well, and if you read very carefully through the membership info, it states that ship evacuation is not covered. You must first be admitted to a hospital, then they take over. (I think it also says something to the effect of a ship's medical facility not being considered a hospital to which you can be admitted, just to further clarify for anyone who might be inclined to make that argument.)

What is self insuring????

Are there states where you are not required to have auto insurance??

The poster that said they self insure actually indicated that they DO have car insurance, but their policy has a high deductible. So if the costs exceed their deductible their insurance will kick in. So personally I wouldn't consider that self insurance.

No.

Correct. We have Med Jet Assist as well, and if you read very carefully through the membership info, it states that ship evacuation is not covered. You must first be admitted to a hospital, then they take over. (I think it also says something to the effect of a ship's medical facility not being considered a hospital to which you can be admitted, just to further clarify for anyone who might be inclined to make that argument.)

Just to clarify what waterbug123 wrote.

If you are admitted to a hospital as an inpatient, MetJetAssist will "take over" in terms of getting you to any other hospital of your own choice, anywhere.

They do *not* cover any of the hospitalization costs of that first admission, as far as I know.

(Adding this, given there are so many different types of policies and coverages, and the "costs" of misunderstanding and getting the wrong type of coverage can be ... bad... We STRONGLY recommend discussing needs/preferences with a travel insurance broker, who can compare policies from several different insurance companies, and also ask questions to help determine what those needs/preferences are.)

GeezerCouple

Hi everyone, Let me tell you why we never leave home without our passports and travel insurance. We left on February 20th for a day in Hong Kong and then 16 days aboard the Nautica (and a three day extension to Tokyo). We board Nautica on the 22nd and on the 25th DH tripped and fell while on a private tour. He broke his humerus and to make a long story as short as possible, Oceania made arrangements for us to fly back home on the 28th (they could not have been more wonderful to us) They also called our insurance carrier and by the time we arrived home the claim papers were there. Filled out the forms, had to wait to get paid from our secondary insurance - medicare does not pay if the cruise does not start in the United States. Medical expense was paid in 4 days from the Travel Insurance company and we should get the balance this week. We didn't file this until April 23rd because of doctors, hospitals, surgery,etc. The cruise will be prorated and in addition, we will be getting back taxi fares, unused tours, etc. It was an easy process and we were thankful that we had it. MedJet Assist and Hadassah Assist are for entirely different reasons. Combined they are great. Just my two cents worth from first hand experience. BTW, Allan had surgery on April 9th and he is coming along nicely. Arlene;)

Hi everyone, Let me tell you why we never leave home without our passports and travel insurance. We left on February 20th for a day in Hong Kong and then 16 days aboard the Nautica (and a three day extension to Tokyo). We board Nautica on the 22nd and on the 25th DH tripped and fell while on a private tour. He broke his humerus and to make a long story as short as possible, Oceania made arrangements for us to fly back home on the 28th (they could not have been more wonderful to us)

Wishing your DH a speedy recovery

Lyn

Arlene,

Sorry to hear about Allan's health problems. I hope that he will be well enough soon so that you can get back to cruising again.

Bon voyage to you both (and "break a leg" - not literally :D)

Paul

Edited by Paulchili

Arlene,

Sorry to hear about Allan's health problems. I hope that he will be well enough soon so that you can get back to cruising again.

Bon voyage to you both (and "break a leg" - not literally :D)

Paul

Thanks Paul. He's doing better and we have a 20-day cruise planned for July, so he has to be OK. Say hello to Marcia. Arlene

If you are admitted to a hospital as an inpatient, MetJetAssist will "take over" in terms of getting you to any other hospital of your own choice, anywhere.

They do *not* cover any of the hospitalization costs of that first admission, as far as I know.

(Adding this, given there are so many different types of policies and coverages, and the "costs" of misunderstanding and getting the wrong type of coverage can be ... bad... We STRONGLY recommend discussing needs/preferences with a travel insurance broker, who can compare policies from several different insurance companies, and also ask questions to help determine what those needs/preferences are.)

GeezerCouple

Although Medicare dies not cover international travel, some secondary insurers do. We are using the free travel insurance using our United Explorer card. Being worried about medical issues with good reason (on our Riviera cruise a few months ago one of our traveling companions had to leave the ship in Guatemala due to a very serious illness), I contacted our secondary insurance company and asked about medical evacuation. I was told that when ordered by a doctor and a true emergency there is no limit to the cost. Of course it would be ordered by a doctor and be a true emergency! IF you have a secondary insurer, check it out. You might be pleasantly surprised. I was!

Also correct. Med Jet Assist is NOT going to cover the actual doctor/hospital charges; they are simply going to take care of getting you home or to the hospital that suits you....a medical air taxi if sorts.

The cruise will be prorated and in addition, we will be getting back taxi fares, unused tours, etc. It was an easy process and we were thankful that we had it.

And that's great. I will never tell someone they shouldn't get travel insurance. If one cannot afford to go without a refund if the trip is canceled then it may be worth it to that person to have it. We simply travel so often that by not getting trip insurance every time, we have more than saved enough over the long haul to make up the cost of having to cancel a trip or cut one short if that ever happens. :)

When I buy my trip insurance( either from insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com, I don't necessarily buy it right at the very time final payment is due.

You can buy it anytime. For example, if final payment is due on May 1st for the cruise, but I am yet to buy air for a few days, or weeks, I wait, till I have it all purchased, and THEN buy the trip insurance for the whole trip. You don't have to buy it when final payment is due.

Also, if for what ever reason, you decide you don't want the insurance, you can cancel it and get a refund. As long as you have't used any of its benefits and its cancelled before the trip starts.

FYI.

Hope this helps.

Please be sure and read the fine print on your policy. Several years ago we bought trip insurance at the time we made the down payment and then had to cancel the cruise before final payment was even due, but the cancellation was not due to any covered reasons in the policy. They would not refund our money. After calling them and going 'higher and higher' up the chain of command, we were finally told we could use it for a future trip if we traveled within a certain period of time. Our credit card covers us for trip cancellation, so we now just get the medical coverage before we leave on the trip since we are now both on Medicare and it does not cover you out of the U.S.

Edited by yorkiemomjn

Although Medicare dies not cover international travel, some secondary insurers do. We are using the free travel insurance using our United Explorer card. Being worried about medical issues with good reason (on our Riviera cruise a few months ago one of our traveling companions had to leave the ship in Guatemala due to a very serious illness), I contacted our secondary insurance company and asked about medical evacuation. I was told that when ordered by a doctor and a true emergency there is no limit to the cost. Of course it would be ordered by a doctor and be a true emergency! IF you have a secondary insurer, check it out. You might be pleasantly surprised. I was!

BEFORE deciding to rely on this type of coverage, you must ask them about WHERE YOU WILL BE TREATED.

Returning to the United States for treatment, for example, is usually not an option under these secondary policies, even if the Patients Doctor recommends it.

Almost 100% of the Secondary Policies that I have read require that care be provided at the nearest medical facility where the needed procedures are performed.

ALWAYS ask the difficult questions up front.