New To NCL

piggybabymcpig

Looking forward to Breakaway cruise to Bermuda June 1. My travel agent said there were two formal nights on the cruise - what is a formal night like on NCL? Also what beverages are complimentary all day? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to Breakaway cruise to Bermuda June 1. My travel agent said there were two formal nights on the cruise - what is a formal night like on NCL? Also what beverages are complimentary all day? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

With NCL's Freestyle there really is no such thing as formal night. They do have what is called Dress Or Not night. NCL has a much more informal/resort casual environment. That is NOT to say that if you choose to dress up you will ostracized. You are pretty much free to do what you want as it is your vacation.

Dump your TA they don't know what they're talking about. NCL is freestyle cruises and no formal nights. Beverages that are included are coffee, tea, juices, milk, water. specifically not included are sodas and alcoholic beverages.

Dump your TA they don't know what they're talking about. NCL is freestyle cruises and no formal nights.

Well, that's true, in that they don't call them formal nights. But they do have "Norwegian's Night Out", which is sort of the same thing. It's the night that if you were GOING to dress up, you'd do it. Just off the Breakaway, and even "dressed up" I didn't see any tuxedos or anything. Assume you don't need to "dress up" at all, but if you feel like having some nice family photos taken bring what you'd like to be photographed in! The only "dress code" I ever saw enforced (and then haphazardly) was no shorts at dinner in the Manhattan Room (and presumably Cagney's and the like).

Despite what people are saying about the Norwegian's Night Out, etc., the true answer is that there are not any formal nights on your NCL cruise. If your TA is so completely misinformed about this, I'd be very concerned what else they might have told you that's completely false.

Agree with everyone above. If your TA does not know that NCL's whole selling point is "Freestyle Cruising" and that that means no formal nights unless you want to dress up, I would be seriously concerned about how much of other things the TA is totally wrong about.

A formal night is exactly what you make of it

There is no specific or required formal night on NCL

However, many do get dressed up on the night they offer pictures taken

I for one hate to get dressed up and as a matter of fact hate to wear clothes in general although I must lol

I think CC is great and am so thankful that I found it and I'm sure you'll feel the same after you go back to your TA with corrected information.

Just as a side note, I'll mention that the only free coffee is regular coffee, none of the specialty coffees are included in the free drinks.

The dress code is wonderfully relaxed with very few restrictions. Shorts in the aft dining room and le Bistro (the French cuisine resty.) are a no no but I think you're more concerned about looking out of place if you do dress up a bit and I can assure you, you will not. While it is not the norm on NCL, it is whatever you want. Dress up or not night, is really just a photo op but great if you want a nice memento.

Well, that's true, in that they don't call them formal nights. But they do have "Norwegian's Night Out", which is sort of the same thing. It's the night that if you were GOING to dress up, you'd do it. Just off the Breakaway, and even "dressed up" I didn't see any tuxedos or anything. Assume you don't need to "dress up" at all, but if you feel like having some nice family photos taken bring what you'd like to be photographed in! The only "dress code" I ever saw enforced (and then haphazardly) was no shorts at dinner in the Manhattan Room (and presumably Cagney's and the like).

Don't "presume". Shorts are fine everywhere except the Manhattan Room and Le Bistro. Not sure about Ocean Blue. Norwegian's Night Out has no bearing on when I might put on a cocktail dress. You see some people a little more dressy on any night. They offer photographers somewhere around the atrium on most every night.

Edited by punkincc

Don't "presume". Shorts are fine everywhere except the Manhattan Room and Le Bistro. Not sure about Ocean Blue. Norwegian's Night Out has no bearing on when I might put on a cocktail dress. You see some people a little more dressy on any night. They offer photographers somewhere around the atrium on most every night.

You can wear shorts in Ocean Blue.

What you are more likely to need is something white and something neon for the outdoor neon party and some warm socks for the ice bar

There are 2 Norwegian nights out where some do wear a suit but we're onto cruise 12 with ncl and stopped taking them a couple of years ago except when we cruise Xmas or new year and we do dress up for the 'nights out' on those