Oh happy day for anti_lounge chair hog

Beach1

My brother likes to tell the story of the "Germans" at a resort a few years ago. First day my brother and a few of my other siblings are looking for a prime spot. They notice a really nice area near some trees that would comfortably sit 6 to 8 people in their loungers so they sit back and relax. Now, chair hogging could be considered a certified past time at these resorts, or so I'm lead to believe. So next morning they all head to the beach and what do they find? All the loungers wrapped around the trees with chains and pad locks on them. Thinking that the staff must have done this for some reason, they seek comfort nearby. Noon hour rolls around and the Germans show up, unlock the chairs, place then in the sand and relax for a couple of hours. Before they leave, they lock them back up. Now, my brother and I are a lot alike and we both like a challenge. So the next day, he makes a trip in town and buys bolt cutters. Next day when the Germans arrive, well their seats are gone. They protest and are ignored. Then the typical competition resumes - who can get to the beach early enough each day to reserve the chairs. Apparently the normal thing is to get up at 5-6AM, run down to the beach, place your towels on the chairs and go back to bed. No thanks.

So you're saying there are a LOT of free towels to be had at about 0630?? :D

My biggest issue was that you were saving an additional lounger for your late sleeping husband that whole time. When you are BOTH ready to enjoy the area together, then go look for chairs. My husband is a night owl and sleeps late. I never save him a seat. I'll sit out for a few hours, join him for lunch, taking all my stuff - fits into a tote bag, no big deal - then go back and find two seats to enjoy. Not rocket science.

Yep, that was my biggest issue as well. And on that second point I also don't get the burden of carrying ones things. How much crap are these people hauling about that it's too much trouble to carry it to lunch? We can fit everything we need for three people including our own beach towels into a single beach bag. No trouble at all to pick it up and go.

What do ppl do if they have kids they need to watch by the h20 ? Stand up everywhere?

Sorry I'm a newbie going on my first cruise this weekend. Before you think carefully about what I've said, do not slam me... I'm entitled to an opinion and I have a valid question/thought concerning those with young kids as well.

I'll have two kids w me I have to think about besides myself. I hope someone doesn't remove our towel or worse, vandalize our property. While I don't plan to schlep around much without a chair i do plan to enjoy our vacation too, I hope I don't have to worry too much about it while on vacation either after reading many responses about this topic, I stopped to think about ppl putting towels on chairs who may have young children. I tried to think of reasons I might be out of my chair for more than 30 minutes. Not hard to think of....not even if you have a child with ADHD or god forbid any other disability.

No offense but I find this topic and many responses odd. It seems a matter of common courtesy and common sense. If someone's "hogging a chair" with a towel but they aren't sitting in it I'll sit in it until they come along ...no big deal ... I mean what if they have kids??? For this I could understand timing past 30 mins being a factor. For 4,5,6 hours.... Ok that's pushing it! So go use the chair....

The allure is huge. If I've sat 30 mins just to watch 30 mins go by just to catch chair hogs then I hope I didn't go back on that cruise again after that because that would mean there's not enough to do on it besides sit around catching chair hogs all day... :( sounds very boring and a wasted vacation to me....just worrying about chairs?

I know I am not arguing with anyone about chairs I'll try my best to use common sense and common courtesy for others while I'm on my first cruise. I will also try to do my best to think of my children first. Thankfully I'm only looking for three chairs out of 1000's. I hope others will use common sense and courtesy about the chairs I find. If I'm not in it and you want to use it til I get back no problem I do not mind.

Rant done. Thank you if you read it and you did not respond rudely. If you plan to respond rudely please move on to the next person. Have a great trip everyone!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I dont think anyone would argue with you placing your personal items on one chair.....heck I would want to watch my children at all times in cruise pools that do not have life guards. And my items should be left alone.

I think the issue tends to be people that tie up 2-3-4 or 5 chairs with towels for hours on end, and they are just empty, going to breakfast, a show or two..........

Sea Ya

Honestly, I really don't.

Is that in the bible or something? :rolleyes:

No, I'm not taking my stuff with me to the bar or the restaurant or sauna.

Yes, it's my chair for the day, as long as I'm going to use it more than 50% of the time I have stuff on it. (That's in the bible.) It's not my fault if the cruise line doesn't have enough chaise lounges for its passengers. And frankly I've never been in a situation where you couldn't find chairs somewhere not more than a few minutes walk from the pool. So as long as there are other chairs, why do I need to schlep my stuff around? :rolleyes:

Why not plop your jacket down on a chair in the MDR for the week. Or hang an old shirt over a table in the buffet on embarkation day and claim it for the week?

I was once on a Carnival cruise (my last one incidentally) and on one of the sea days I wandered the entire ship and I'm not lying one bit when I tell you there was not an empty chair to be had anywhere. They all either had a person in it or a book, sandal, towel, umbrella, hat, pair of socks - you name it. I was ticked off big time and swore that was the last time I would let that happen. Next time if I want a chair and can't find one, I'll remove the stuff that's on it, place it on the floor and move the chair. Good luck trying to figure out who took you chair or who discarded your stuff. And if you do return you'll make my day because I'll just sit, watch and smile.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Will you spy on a chair for 30 mins and then remove the stuff from it?

Why not plop your jacket down on a chair in the MDR for the week. Or hang an old shirt over a table in the buffet on embarkation day and claim it for the week?

I was once on a Carnival cruise (my last one incidentally) and on one of the sea days I wandered the entire ship and I'm not lying one bit when I tell you there was not an empty chair to be had anywhere. They all either had a person in it or a book, sandal, towel, umbrella, hat, pair of socks - you name it. I was ticked off big time and swore that was the last time I would let that happen. Next time if I want a chair and can't find one, I'll remove the stuff that's on it, place it on the floor and move the chair. Good luck trying to figure out who took you chair or who discarded your stuff. And if you do return you'll make my day because I'll just sit, watch and smile.

The chair hogging was ridiculous on the last freedom sailing. I'd see chairs with no

People in them for HOURS. Sometimes the deck attendants enforced, esp. the last 2 sea days. On the 6th day we saw chairs sit for about 2 hours. The husband came back pissed- then his wife. She went straight up to the pool attendant with her finger right in his face screaming. Nothing like those who save their chairs and think they are entitled to do so. I hope she felt embarrassed by all who saw her but I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have to dig for anything; nice try. If you'd have read (or comprehended-perhaps the language was too advanced for yoy) my post, I want *that one* so I don't have to drag my stuff around the ship all day. I'm on vacation after all. :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

So your answer is GREED. Pure, unadulterated, undisguised, ugly, entitled GREED. You may be a despicable cruise-mate, but you're honest.

Well, no, not really. You also think anyone who disagrees with your grabby, hoarding ways fails to comprehend that you're special, entitled, different from all the other people who are vacationing. That's failing to be honest with yourself.

Don't you think someone else wants a good chair on his or her vacation?

Do you think other people are less deserving than you?

Don't you think "that one" might be attractive to someone else?

How is that despicable? I am finding this thread completely amusing. 90% of the day I am on the chair. If I get up for 30-40 min or less to use the pool or grab something to eat thats despicable? Seriously laughable! Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't go to the bathroom either. God forbid I take too long!
As long as you're in the chair -- no problem! If you were there first and are actually using the seat, and I can't find one -- no problem! But leaving your things and going elsewhere is where the problem comes in. You don't have the right to maintain "ownership" of the chair while you're elsewhere. It's despicable because it's greedy and denies use of common property to your fellow cruisers.

How long is "too long"? As long as you're in the pool area -- using the actual pool, making a trip to the rest room, walking up to the bar -- you're fine, but when you go elsewhere on the ship to take part in another activity, that's too long.

Cruise lines are always looking for new profit centers. This thread may have uncovered one.

I would pay good money to see the faces of chair hogs when they return to "their" loungers and find the pool attendants have removed the items they've left. Maybe they could sell the videos.

I am for paying for the lounge chairs on the pool deck and the upper deck can be free ones. we should be able to reserve them and let the others fight over the free ones.

No problem, see the pool attendant for your belongings.

I can't believe people can be this bad. I was on the Carnival Fantasy and everybody was so pleasant. There was no chair hogging going on at all. People actually shared and gave up seats. Maybe it was a lucky cruise, I don't know. This is my 3rd cruise including Explorer with no problems. But I know it never will be a problem, I won't put up with that crap. Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Edited by sammee

Cruise lines are always looking for new profit centers. This thread may have uncovered one.

I would pay good money to see the faces of chair hogs when they return to "their" loungers and find the pool attendants have removed the items they've left. Maybe they could sell the videos.

I was lucky enough to see that. People had 11 chairs "RESERVED" at 8 AM came back at 10:10 AM and were really upset, raised hell with the pool patrol . Oh happy sight.

i think you are confused we seem to be on the same side of this argument.

Oh really? I'm not of the opinion that you or I or anyone else should be able to reserve chairs. If you're not using it, move along.

I have never given towels on a chair any love. I look around, and if nobody seems to be giving me the stink eye, I just move the towel. I avoid personal items. Am I going to get beat up on RCI?

BTW, I love the term "chogs!" :D

Oh really? I'm not of the opinion that you or I or anyone else should be able to reserve chairs. If you're not using it, move along.

I agree with you ,so i suggest perhaps paying for them. This may stop those chair guards and holders.

Hooray for you. Not being prejudice, well maybe a little , seems like people from New York or New Jersey have this idea they are special. I call it ATTITUDE

Well...I'm originally from Texas and we know we ARE Special...but, most of us are taught to be considerate of others regardless of where they are from. So, Bless their heart...they just don't know any better. SOMEBODY should TELL someone...:D

........;-/

For all those who have judged you harshly, I have to say that the most RIGHTEOUS Man I know went into a church and tumped (tipped) over all the sales stalls...

What that means to me is that sometimes the Spirit is led to action and I salute you! Taking a stand for what is right oftentimes isn't very pretty.

Well...I'm originally from Texas and we know we ARE Special...but, most of us are taught to be considerate of others regardless of where they are from. So, Bless their heart...they just don't know any better. SOMEBODY should TELL someone...:D

That's the problem, they've been told and couldn't care less because they are entitled......bless their heart. ;)

• 7 months later...