Oh happy day for anti_lounge chair hog

Beach1

This old cruiser and my wife had the most enjoyable day on our first cruise day. We went up to get lounge chair at 8:55 AM.

11 chairs in a row had towels and assorted items on them and no people. I got our towels and made a statement " where in the hell are all these people " and pointed at the 11 lounges. The Pool Patrol was standing there and he said wait a minute. He got 2 more pool patrols and they got the 11 towels and items and put the items on a stand. Then they walked around and took towels and items from at least 40 or more. They had their arms full of towels and items. It was really enjoyable to see the people come back 10 am and later and wondered where their towels and items were. They would come to towel stand and were told that after 30 minutes towels were removed and showed them the area to look for their items .

That is great news. :)

So what I am gathering here is that the loungers are only for people who want to lay out in the sun all day and never move but if you want to get into the hot tub or pool for a while you should limit your time to 30 minutes or less. If longer than that you should move your stuff somewhere so other can have your chair and when you get out you need to go and find you another chair :confused:

I am really surprised you don't see brawls out at the pool deck!

I have seen brawls but on the upper deck not on the pool deck. Lots of yelling and it was very uncomfortable for those of us who were there. This is what happens when "entitled" people go on vacation.

I think vacationers are more savvy now because when they see situations like this, they will speak up and confirm that towels have been sitting on vacant lounge chairs for hours.

or at least leave one person behind to watch. I think many of the more experienced chair hogs leave one person behind to monitor all 5-10 chairs they are saving. Below is one of my favorite chair pics, that i have taken. (ok, yea, its one way i spend my vacation, noting chair hog behavior :d ) anyway, i call this, "changing of the guard" this family saved 7 chairs on the final sea day on allure back in 2011. They reserved them before 8 am, and didn't have more than one person in them until well after 11:30

the guy sitting is just taking his shift, the guy in the white shirt walking away was just relieved.

lmfao

.....at least we now have some "enforcement" and persons to assist with this annoying and rude behavior. BUT, several years ago all you could do was say something to the offender, without having anyone to back you up. NOT ME! I took matters into my own hands, literally. We got up at 8 am after having breakfast in our room and found two empty chairs between "reserved ones", which sat empty until almost noon. Well.....halfway through the morning, I reached over and grabbed the persons paperback book that was saving the chair and RIPPED THE LAST 3 PAGES OUT OF THE BOOK

-/

I won't flame you, but others will. I have been in a similar situation where I've been next to "hog chairs and could testify in court that they were empty more than 2 hours. I' saw people walking around desperately looking for chairs, I would point to these chairs and tell them if you get a deck crew they will move the stuff and I'll swear they have been empty. That way I get the bonus of a new friend and seeing the drama when the violator comes back!

BillOh I'm DYING looking at that first picture lololol. :D:D:D

We were laying out on Allure last week (actually on 16, right above the beach pool) when pool patrol came through with a big towel bin accompanied by some fairly senior level officers. They were collecting unused towels and freeing chogged chairs. We, along with the people around us, applauded as they came through and made a point of telling them that we appreciated their efforts and that they were enforcing their policy. Hopefully this (apparently) stepped up level of enforcement will continue.

Edited by Dave85

Personally, I hate anyone hogging any limited resource (buffet tables anyone?)

That sentence was endearing to me. For most of our 10 cruises it just has been my wife and I and tables for two in the WJ are the hardest to find. So many times the only table open is a table for 10. We will always sit on the end and mention to people looking for seats that the rest are open. Have met some interesting people that way.

Or at least leave one person behind to watch. I think many of the more experienced chair hogs leave one person behind to monitor all 5-10 chairs they are saving. Below is one of my favorite chair pics, that I have taken. (Ok, yea, its one way I spend my vacation, noting chair hog behavior :D ) Anyway, I call this, "Changing of the guard" This family saved 7 chairs on the final Sea Day on Allure back in 2011. They reserved them before 8 am, and didn't have more than one person in them until well after 11:30

The guy sitting is just taking his shift, the guy in the white shirt walking away was just relieved.

That picture made me laugh.

what if the people were in the pools and then come out to find their stuff and towel missing?:confused:

Its become my habit to glance over at my chair every few seconds. So far I've never left a chair unoccupied more than 10 minutes, so I haven't seen anyone try to claim it.

That awkward moment when you realize your a bit of a chair hog. I didnt realize the emotional damage i was causing by leaving my things on the chair while i take a long swim or hang out in the hot tub.

I will try to be more mindful and i at times locked all my stuff in my safe and only brought my seapass and credit card for locking the safe and sunglasses and towel . i wish there was a good place to put them so i didnt block a chair. i rarely lay out.

As far as people saying they've been improperly charged...whenever I would return a towel, I would simply ask if my "towel count" was zero!

Peter

Brilliant! I wish I had thought of that, but its probably a great idea. I've seen them scan the card and look at the screen, I would assume it would show that information. I'm just back from my first cruise since the new towel policy and chair hogs weren't a big issue on this cruise, getting a towel sometimes was. My first day I was walking to the unmanned towel station and there was a single stack of 10 towels on the table. Another man was walking towards them. I stopped and let him go first and he took all 10 towels! I think my facial expression must have been of the "if looks could kill" type as he sheepishly handed me two.

Think about it this way: While you are in the hot tub or pool...........you don't need that lounger, do you?

:)

First of all, My name is Bill, and I am a CHAIR HOG THREAD AHOLIC. I can't resist a good chair hog thread. That said, I have pointed out in a few threads that many times I will show up use the pool and/or hot tub for an hour and I would be happy with no chair at all if they would provide something like a shelf or cubby for putting a towel, shoes, and various other stuff.

I am really surprised you don't see brawls out at the pool deck!

I was close to being in one, and again I apologize if I've already said this in this thread. I was in a chair for about 90 minutes when a guy came up and got real nasty about me taking his chair. Since I was in the right 100% I was holding my ground and I'm pretty sure he was about to threaten me (he was sizing me up, though I was still seated) when suddenly his wife spoke up, "Honey, our seats are over here!"

TFB!! If U wanna get up early, that is YOUR CHOICE! But Don't expect to save chairs ALL MORNING so you can have one in the afternoon! If you want to eat breakky, EAT BEFORE going out to the pool, then go get UR chairs. I wouldn't hesitate 1 second getting the pool cops to move your stuff!![ sorry, that's just the way I am] BTW, I am a police dude

Sometimes I wish we could vote on epic posts. I don't actually know exactly what style/language this poster is using, but man, is this post epic or what?

I can even come up with the exact voice to read it in. CONGRATS on the awesome post!

i wouldnt hog a chair if there was a good place like lockers or a cubby to hold my things while in hot tub or swimming. i dont like to lay out anyway.

Ok, I've got this idea planted in 2 people's heads! I am going to send that to RC as a suggestion. Maybe if they hear it multiple times they might do it.

That picture made me laugh.

Thank you to both of you who said you were amused. I should have been a comedy writer. I would stink as a comedian, I couldn't handle the pressure, but I can come up with some great stuff when there is no pressure. (Same reason I never joined the debate team)

We own a vacation condo at a SC beach. Apparently there is a problem with owners and guests reserving pool chairs. I just received the current newsletter and it states that ,” The pool opens at 8 AM. Any items placed on chairs prior to that time will be removed and placed in a lost and found box. Pool staff will continually patrol and remove any items from chairs that appear to be held for a later time”

Seems it is not an issue just for cruise ships.

m

We own a vacation condo at a SC beach. Apparently there is a problem with owners and guests reserving pool chairs. I just received the current newsletter and it states that ,” The pool opens at 8 AM. Any items placed on chairs prior to that time will be removed and placed in a lost and found box. Pool staff will continually patrol and remove any items from chairs that appear to be held for a later time”

Seems it is not an issue just for cruise ships.

m

And they have the same sign at many of the resorts in Myrtle Beach and the last time I was there they really did enforce it.

Sometimes I wish we could vote on epic posts. I don't actually know exactly what style/language this poster is using, but man, is this post epic or what?

I can even come up with the exact voice to read it in. CONGRATS on the awesome post!

It's English, American style, I don't know that it's epic, but I agree with him.

one of my favorite things to do is to get up at 700 am and head for the pool. Already many seats with towels being "held". No one around. So, what i do is "change seats" moving someones stuff say 4 seats away, etc. Yes its a bit "evil" when the people come back at 1100 am and argue about why this other person is in "their seat"...

lol:)

TFB!! If U wanna get up early, that is YOUR CHOICE! But Don't expect to save chairs ALL MORNING so you can have one in the afternoon! If you want to eat breakky, EAT BEFORE going out to the pool, then go get UR chairs. I wouldn't hesitate 1 second getting the pool cops to move your stuff!![ sorry, that's just the way I am] BTW, I am a police dude

Curious, is that abreviation you use...........well um...........:eek:

Sea Ya

And since I am the one who is up early in the morning to get a chair, I go to have breakfast and then come back or I go back to my room and get something or I go check on my kids somewhere. It may take me 30 minutes, it may take me 35 or 40 minutes.

So don't put your stuff down til AFTER you have breakfast, go back to your room, check on your kids, etc. It's really not rocket science.

We own a vacation condo at a SC beach. Apparently there is a problem with owners and guests reserving pool chairs. I just received the current newsletter and it states that ,” The pool opens at 8 AM. Any items placed on chairs prior to that time will be removed and placed in a lost and found box.

At a Sandals resort last year people were putting stuff in the first come/first served cabanas the night before. Ridiculous!

Of course, everyone has to be on the same page. It's like eating at counter service places at Disney. Some families take everyone in line and then find a table when they have the food. Others want to split up and have the kids sit at a table while an adult gets the food. If both things are happening in the same area, it's not good; you get people with food wandering around tables filled with people without food. So disney has started to disallow no-food people from sitting. You have to have people all doing the same thing, for it to run smoothly.

We recently took a trip to Disney and I was not a fan of the changes they made in the restaurants. I have 3 kids and 2 which like to wander and have a hard time staying still. I have always enjoyed the fact that I could leave them at the table with another adult and go grab our food. Thankfully this is the first year I did not have a stroller because I felt horrible for the people trying to handle babies and tote food and diaper bags etc... It was just way to many people crammed into such a tight amount of space.

I know I am probably in the minority but I think the 30 minute rule sucks! I totally agree with what you said above. How do you know that I'm not in the pool or a hot tub for 30 minutes? The whole point of having a chair AT THE POOL is to go INTO THE POOL. So it's right for someone -- whether it's another passenger, or the "pool police" as I call the workers to take my personal stuff off of my chair? I think not.

Also I get up very early in the morning to get my chair - I just don't sleep late. My husband sleeps late. He doesn't have to get up early in the morning on vacation so that we can spend the afternoon together at the pool on chairs.

And since I am the one who is up early in the morning to get a chair, I go to have breakfast and then come back or I go back to my room and get something or I go check on my kids somewhere. It may take me 30 minutes, it may take me 35 or 40 minutes. I watched the pool police on the last cruise that we were on. They have no idea when the actual 30 minutes are up on all those chairs. If I came back and my chairs were gone, you would definitely be hearing some very loud words!

That's because, my dear, you are a chair hog, so of course you can't understand it. When both you and your husband are ready to "spend the afternoon together at the pool on chairs" then get them then. Bad enough getting chairs and then going to breakfast, sitting for a few minutes and then running errands, but to keep TWO that long? Despicable.