Oh happy day for anti_lounge chair hog

Beach1

Celebrity infinity Panama Canal 15 day 2012. No matter what cruise (except the Alaska cruise)

I am worshipping the sun all day. The pool was policed by a official looking infinity person. Yes there were lots of chair hogs and 30 minutes later their possessions were located at the towel attendant station. When offending party returned later no dramatics. Couple of days later chair hogging at a minimum. RCL should just enforce their policy. It worked on the Infinity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well one night after dinner we walked by the pool and noticed most of the cabanas already had items on them to save them for the NEXT DAY! :rolleyes:

I call and raise you:

We saw 2 guys who slept all night on loungers on the Serenity deck on a Carni cruise. Course, I attributed that to too much drinking, but it was effective:D

I call and raise you:

We saw 2 guys who slept all night on loungers on the Serenity deck on a Carni cruise. Course, I attributed that to too much drinking, but it was effective:D

Or could have been broken A/C--not that Carnival had any prior experience with that😙

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This old cruiser and my wife had the most enjoyable day on our first cruise day. We went up to get lounge chair at 8:55 AM.

11 chairs in a row had towels and assorted items on them and no people. I got our towels and made a statement " where in the hell are all these people " and pointed at the 11 lounges. The Pool Patrol was standing there and he said wait a minute. He got 2 more pool patrols and they got the 11 towels and items and put the items on a stand. Then they walked around and took towels and items from at least 40 or more. They had their arms full of towels and items. It was really enjoyable to see the people come back 10 am and later and wondered where their towels and items were. They would come to towel stand and were told that after 30 minutes towels were removed and showed them the area to look for their items .

Now if only this was done 'ALL THE TIME'!:D

Celebrity infinity Panama Canal 15 day 2012. No matter what cruise (except the Alaska cruise)

I am worshipping the sun all day. The pool was policed by a official looking infinity person. Yes there were lots of chair hogs and 30 minutes later their possessions were located at the towel attendant station. When offending party returned later no dramatics. Couple of days later chair hogging at a minimum. RCL should just enforce their policy. It worked on the Infinity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Honestly I'd tip the attendant!:D

They had their arms full of towels and items. It was really enjoyable to see the people come back 10 am and later and wondered where their towels and items were. They would come to towel stand and were told that after 30 minutes towels were removed and showed them the area to look for their items .

That can be fun to watch, it can also be uncomfortable when you take a seat that is open and someone comes an hour later and yells at you for taking their seat. Ok, uncomfortable for some, I've actually enjoyed that.

Always love a good chair hog thread!

PS. I usually add to chair hog threads, it Royal would put a Cubby hole type of shelf near the pools, I wouldn't near a chair at all sometimes. But there is no place to put down things like a watch, t-shirt, towell, and shoes near the pool and not have them get wet, except by the pool. On some ships I've just gone to swim for 20 minutes or so and not needed a chair so I put my towel on the artwork.

Edited by BillOh

I tend to load up on bran, fruit, green leafy vegetables, and dairy products early in the cruise. Within 18-24 hours, the majority of passengers who are not olfactorily challenged, mysteriously do not come near me or my chairs, regardless of how long I am gone:eek::eek:

It's been a few years on another line, I found an empty chair at the pool deck and almost immediately four guest were screaming about theft. Neatly, there were four chair spaces with towels, books, sunglasses etc. on the floor, the chairs were gone.

I think the cruise lines use the level of complaints as a guide as to whether they enforce the chair policy. On the Celebrity Reflection at 9 in the morning the last day at sea of the cruise, there were no chairs available in the pool area. But very few bodies were actually in the chairs. Lots of books, flip flops, towels and sun glasses though.

I went to the security guards and told the that their chair enforcement was a joke. They acted shocked and asked what i meant. I showed them the sea of empty but reserved chairs and asked why they didn't enforce the policy. They made some excuse, but low and behold, attendents started clearing the chairs. There were some PO'd people too!

But on the Navigator this past October, i didn't see as much hogging and only a little enforcement. Also, there weren't security guards at the pool either. I'm not sure why Celebrity would have very visible guards and RCCL wouldn't. Unless the "Mo Lux" cruisers on Celebrity party harder and need the visible guards to stay under control!

Dave

Honestly I'd tip the attendant!:D

Me too LOL.

Honestly, I think the vast majority of cruisers follow the rules, and increased enforcement would be well received. Even some who choose to not follow the rules only do so because they think they can get away with it, and will quietly conform if they realize they cannot. The small minority who will act indignant and make a scene are the entertainment for the rest of us :D

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Dave85

I read somewhere back in this thread about someone made a little sign saying when they left, time they will be back, etc. Might be a good idea! People might be more receptive if you are trying to be considerate in the first place.

We plan to spend most of our time at Spice H20 (Epic), preferably on the upper loungers. Hopefully people don't take our spot just because we are in the "little" pool for a quick dip.

Here's a question...what if my DH and I asked you to hold our beach bag under your chair while we swim so we didn't take 2 loungers? Has anyone been approached or been the approachee in this instance?

I read somewhere back in this thread about someone made a little sign saying when they left, time they will be back, etc. Might be a good idea! People might be more receptive if you are trying to be considerate in the first place.

We plan to spend most of our time at Spice H20 (Epic), preferably on the upper loungers. Hopefully people don't take our spot just because we are in the "little" pool for a quick dip.

Here's a question...what if my DH and I asked you to hold our beach bag under your chair while we swim so we didn't take 2 loungers? Has anyone been approached or been the approachee in this instance?

Upper loungers - You shouldn't have a problem. It's the loungers right at the pools that are considered a must have for some. :rolleyes:

We've kept an eye on peoples things before. Happy to do it.

Love it! Thanks for your post. :)

I guess it just sucks to be those people that think they are 'entitled' to save a chair for hours and hours and not be in it. I feel so bad for them. NOT!!!...LOL

I find it even more entertaining to watch their faces when they realize their 'stuff' is gone.:p

Glad to see RC finally stepping up the game.

:D

I think quite a few people are wearing underwear that's too tight.
No, we're just tired of standing up -- standing up while your towel sits in an unused chair.

How on earth can you NOT see that's rude and selfish?

I know I am probably in the minority but I think the 30 minute rule sucks! I totally agree with what you said above. How do you know that I'm not in the pool or a hot tub for 30 minutes? The whole point of having a chair AT THE POOL is to go INTO THE POOL. So it's right for someone -- whether it's another passenger, or the "pool police" as I call the workers to take my personal stuff off of my chair? I think not.
Not a real issue. First, most adults don't stay in the pool for an hour straight; they get in the pool a while, come back to their chairs for a bit, go to the bar for a drink, get back in the pool, come back to the chair for more sunscreen -- and they SEE their chair the whole time. Other people these swimmers/loungers coming and going. No one has any problem with that, and -- in reality -- it just isn't a problem.

People who are coming and going leave chairs that look like they're "occupied", whereas chair hogs leave one clearly unused towel. Anyone with any sense can tell the difference.

30 minutes is too soon? you have 2000 people sorry..if you want to go eat and come back too late...get up earlier to eat and get your chair after
Yes, that's the center of the controversy: 2000 people are onboard the ship. You can't act as if it's your private pool.
How is that despicable? I am finding this thread completely amusing. 90% of the day I am on the chair. If I get up for 30-40 min or less to use the pool or grab something to eat thats despicable? Seriously laughable! Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't go to the bathroom either. God forbid I take too long!
That's not what you said earlier. The other poster called you on it, and it's true: You're a chair hog.
I don't have to dig for anything; nice try. If you'd have read (or comprehended-perhaps the language was too advanced for yoy) my post, I want *that one* so I don't have to drag my stuff around the ship all day. I'm on vacation after all. :rolleyes:
Ah, I see. You're employing the most ridiculous of all excuses: "I'm on vacation." Which cruisers AREN'T on vacation?

Incidentally, it's great that you're questioning my reading ability, while you're spelling words incorrectly. Very smooth, Dude.

But you didn't answer the question: You say that everyone else should be willing to search around and take whatever chair is available -- and you claim chairs are ALWAYS available . . . yet YOU should have THIS CHAIR at your service all day long. Why? Why do you think you're different than other people? Why do you think you're entitled to a special chair while the rest of us search about and accept the dregs that're left? Why is their vacation and their comfort worth less than your own?

Yep, that was my biggest issue as well. And on that second point I also don't get the burden of carrying ones things. How much crap are these people hauling about that it's too much trouble to carry it to lunch? We can fit everything we need for three people including our own beach towels into a single beach bag. No trouble at all to pick it up and go.
Oh, come on. We all know the truth: It's not about the stuff. It's an attempt to justify unjustifiable behavior.