London Apartment Rental

METMAN

We are booked on a British Isles cruise on the Royal Princess April- May 2015. After we disembark in Southampton we would like to stay in London for two weeks in an apartment rental.

Does anyone have any previous experience in renting an apartment in London or any information on a rental agency there.

We would possibly like to stay in the Kensington area close to a tube station.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have rented several times in London and various places in the UK. Some random tips:

-When searching the 'net, note that the Brits use the term 'self-catering' for vacation rentals, thus a search of 'London self-catering' will yield more results;

-Have rented thru agencies, and rented privately. Both worked out fine, with really only one less-than-ideal experience (not a disaster, just could have been a little better). Do most of my searching on sites like Homeaway, VRBO, etc. now;

-I ended up not renting from her, but had some great communication with Rosamond Rose Properties (http://www.rosamondroseproperties.com/). She has several Kensington properties, one of which I was interested in but was rented for the dates I was looking for.

On different trips to London, we have stayed at three of the Citadines apartment hotels, including the one in South Kensington as well as those near Trafalgar Square and Holborn. One of the studio units was small with uncomfortable twin beds, but another studio unit plus the one-bedroom units were very comfortable. Kitchens are small but serviceable. You could probably find a somewhat less expensive rental apartment elsewhere. However, the Citadines apartment hotels are predictable, as easy to reserve and access as any normal hotel, and very well located relative to London's abundant attractions and subway system. I expect we will use them again in future.

John

I'd also recommend the Citadines at Trafalgar Square. I'm a big fan of self catering, but I also like the apart-hotel concept. It's nice having someone come in and make the bed daily and tidy up.

The location is wonderful for public transportation, so close to major sites, and there's a couple of markets real close.

The Trafalgar Square Citadines was our favourite of the three we've used in London, given its central location. However, the OP expressed particular interest in Kensington. The South Kensington Citadines is a 5 min walk from the nearest tube station (Gloucester Rd station), beside which there is a supermarket. Walking distance to the Natural History, V&A, and Science Museums, Kensington Gardens, etc.

John

We rented a flat in London right next to the Lambeth bridge. We walked everywhere and took the tube/ bus when needed. We could see the river out of one of the windows. We have used Homeaway and VRBO and the new wildly popular company is now Airbnb. We use the companies frequently and also rent our own property in Hawaii through these companies. I think this is a much better way to travel. Next to cruise ships, of course. Read the reviews before you book.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have an apartment booked for this June, pre-cruise, in a location exactly like what you describe - booked through VRBO, with Ivy Lettings - it has been an excellent experience so far. I had my heart set on this particular apartment (on Kensington Church St), and it took the owner a few days to decide if she'd be in town that week or not. In the meantime, the agents found me several other apartments that would have been great as well.

• 1 month later...
We have an apartment booked for this June, pre-cruise, in a location exactly like what you describe - booked through VRBO, with Ivy Lettings - it has been an excellent experience so far. I had my heart set on this particular apartment (on Kensington Church St), and it took the owner a few days to decide if she'd be in town that week or not. In the meantime, the agents found me several other apartments that would have been great as well.

Would you be able to provide a link to the apartment you are renting? Thanks - enjoy your trip!

Try 51 Kensington Court (google and also read the reviews on Trip Advisor)..an amazing location very close to Kensington High Street tube station and Whole Foods Market..This is my favorite area to stay in London. We have stayed very close to there at the Milestone Hotel when it was just the two of us for a week but will be staying at 51 Kensington Court on our next visit with the extended family.

Edited by Ashland

Thank you for the reccomendation. The accomodations look very nice but the rates are more than we are looking to spend as we will be staying two weeks in London after the cruise and also we are looking for an apartment that also has a washer/dryer included in the apartment.

Metman-I believe we are on the same cruise (see roll call) though we are only on for the TA portion. We are also planning a post cruise London stay. I assume you are aware that the Chelsea Flower Show is being held from May 26-30. This major event could likely impact the availability and price of accommodations. We found this out when we booked our hotel almost a month ago and will be leaving London well over a week before the show starts!!

Sent from my YP-G70 using Forums mobile app

Try air B&B. our daughter and son-in-law rented a lovely one bedroom flat on Belsize Park ( they have other areas as well) for their honeymoon for around $500 for the week. Belsize park is a very nice location. Enjoy. We love London!

The least expensive I could find on AirBnB is $86 per night. It has a washer & dryer. Look at the great photos. The nice thing about Air BnB is that you can e-mail the Hosts before booking and ask any questions. I have stayed 7 times with Hosts (twice in London, twice in Barcelona, once in Seattle).

https://www.airbnb.com/s/London?guests=2&neighborhoods%5B%5D=Kensington

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/588959?guests=2&s=zrrn

$86 - Best Apartment in Kensington ! Apartment - Private room · Warwick Road, London, England SW5, United Kingdom

39 5-STAR REVIEWS.

HOUSE RULES: Feel free to make full use of the kitchen and lounge areas. Please keep the flat tidy. For stays of one week or more, there will be a cleaning fee of £30 weekly for cleaning during your stay. Breakfast can be provided for a small fee. For longer term stays, the price is negotiable - please simply send me a message. Any other questions, please contact me at your convenience.

The Space: ENJOY A BRIGHT SPACIOUS APARTMENT WITH A BEAUTIFUL GARDEN IN CENTRAL LONDON With a Large Private King Size Bedroom & Ensuite Bathroom. And With Free High Speed WiFi Internet – see below

Located in Central London, perfect for tourists and business guests, the apartment is in Kensington & Chelsea – one of the most sought after areas of the city. The apartment backs onto the largest communal garden in Kensington, complete with a grass tennis court ! You will have a key to access this during your stay. It is a few minutes from Earls Court Exhibition Centre as well as Earls Court Underground (Zone 1), with the District and Piccadilly lines to take you to the rest of Central London in a few minutes. There are many great restaurants, pubs, and supermarkets within a two-minute walk. All airports are within easy access. Heathrow is a 30-minute taxi ride or direct on the Piccadilly line tube. Nearby areas include the shops of High Street Kensington, world famous museums (V&A, Natural History, and Science museums), South Kensington, glamorous Knightsbridge, splendid Hyde Park, lovely Holland Park, and Stamford Bridge (Chelsea Football Stadium). In addition, two Exhibition Centres are a short walk away. Slightly further is Kings Road in the heart of Chelsea, as well as Westfield Shopping Centre. Bicycles are available within a one minute walk – Using the London bicycle scheme, for only £1, you can get around London with ease.

APARTMENT and ROOM: This is a recently renovated, luxurious and contemporary interior designed flat in a lovely area, overlooking the largest communal garden in Kensington. It is bright with large windows throughout, offering generous open plan living space, and modern bathrooms. It is on the top (3rd) floor, with a wide railed staircase to enter the flat, and lovely views of the garden from the lounge. The apartment offers a spacious roof terrace with stunning views over the garden and the surrounding area. You will have full use of the above – and the bedroom is a full ensuite with a large king size bed and a modern bathroom. (see pictures)

The interior includes the following for you to enjoy:

- Living: Open plan reception area of over 450 square feet across the lounge, kitchen and dining area. Stylish wood floors, elegant carpeting and luxury furniture make this a modern space.

- Media: A plasma satellite TV and a Bose sound system, complete with iPod / PC / iPhone jack to enjoy your music, television and movies. High Speed (up to 60mb/s) Internet.

- Kitchen: Fully equipped, large worktop surfaces, microwave oven, four point gas hob, fan assisted oven, toaster, kettle, dishwasher, stainless steel fridge/freezer, washing machine / dryer, iron and ironing board. Plenty of crockery, cutlery, utensils and glassware.

- Bedroom: Very cosy with a large king size bed, many mirrors and lots of space to hang your clothing.

- Ensuite Bathroom: A modern design with lovely limestone tiles, a walk-in shower enclosure and stainless steel chrome fittings. There is plenty of space for your toiletries, a large mirror and a shaving socket. On your arrival, you will be presented with fresh linen made on your bed, fresh towels, a welcome pack with some essentials, and a set of keys.

--------------------------------------------

TELEPHONE / WiFi/ INTERNET: High Speed WiFi / Internet (60 mB/ sec) is free, particularly useful for those who use it for calls.

--------------------------------------------

OTHER: For longer term stays, the price is negotiable - please simply send me a message. If you plan to stay for over one week, a weekly cleaning service can be provided if required at an extra cost. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions you may have.