Car rental virgin!

jsvarp

I am a bit embarrassed to admit I have never rented a car. Seeing that I have NO experience, I am looking for your guidance, Yes YOU!

We are need a car for 1 day, the day we fly out. We are disembarking at Miami port in the morning, and do not fly out of Fort Lauderdale until 9:30 pm, and thought for the 4 of us, it may be most cost effective to get a minivan ideally, but possibly a small SUV but I don't think all of the luggage would fit well.

Can anyone recommend a rental company? Or steer me clear from the terrible one?

I see some allow pick up and drop off in different locations. The way I see it, we would spend $$ for luggage transport or storage, 60$ plus tip for SAS transport, and still haven't accounted for transportation throughout the day hours to sight see, eat, etc.

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated!!

First of all, let's talk geography: The easiest place to rent a car in Miami is at the airport. All the majors are there, but the problem is that you'll have to get from the pier to the airport rental center. That means a taxi ride for at least the renting driver.

There are some rental agencies in downtown Miami, but you still have the problem of getting your group & luggage to that agency. I'd go to the airport.

Now let's talk car rentals: Your one day rental should not be too expensive, but you may have to pay an added "drop off" charge since you want to pickup at Miami and return at Fort Lauderdale.

Since this is your first car rental, before you rent you need to check your own auto insurance policy to see what coverage it offers you for cars you may rent. Most auto policies do offer some coverage.

I bring this up because all auto rental companies will press you hard to take out additional "personal liability" and "uninsured driver/collision.etc" insurance. These are added charges, of course, and they press you hard on this because they make a lot of money selling these short term insurance policies that are almost never used.

You'll have to make up your own mind about taking this "additional coverage." Some people prefer the peace of mind of knowing they will not be responsible for damages and injury should anything happen. However, if your auto policy covers these things, then there's no need to pay for the additional coverage.

Gas: You will be asked, when you rent the car, if you want to "pre-pay" the gas, or bring the car back full. Essentially, when you pre-pay the gas you are buying a full tank of gas from the rental company, at rates that are generally equivalent to the prices in the area. When you do this, it's in your best interest to bring the car back as EMPTY of fuel as you can, because you've bought the whole tank, and they will not charge you to fill it up.

However, with a one day rental, and fairly limited driving due to your time constraints, you will never use the entire tank. So your second option is to replace the fuel you use, just before you return the car. If you do this, make sure you get a receipt for the gas that you can show to the rental company.

You do have one other option: You can just return the car as it is, fuel-wise. The company will then charge you per gallon at a price that is usually significantly higher than the general gas price in the area. I only recommend doing this if you've used very little gas, or if you're in a hurry and have no time to stop and fill the car.

GPS: You can rent a car equipped with a GPS system (for an added charge, of course). This can be helpful if you are not familiar with using the GPS that's probably built into your smart phone.

Child Seats: You didn't mention if you'd need any, but you can rent them from the car rental company.

OK, enough of that. What rental company to use? Well, as a first time renter, I'd suggest you use one of the majors. Hertz, Avis, Budget, National. You will find less "hard sell" with the majors, and your rental experience may be better. You can setup your rental online, and you can pickup and drop off for the majors at both airports.

I would not rent from any of the "off airport" companies..the smaller companies who primarily do business by offering rates that are a few dollars cheaper per day than the majors. The reason: You'll face a much harder sell on the "extras," the cars may not be as new or as well maintained, and you will need to inspect your car thoroughly and document any existing damage before you leave the lot...some of these companies have a terrible history of sending bills months later for damage that you did not do to the car.

My personal preference is for Hertz, but I rent primarily on business trips. All the majors are good, and you probably won't go wrong with any of them.

Thus ends the short lesson on car rentals! I hope it's some help.

One additional note: If you rent online, you will often see two different prices. One (lower) price is if you agree to pay upfront..i.e. your credit card will be charged right away for the rental. The other (slightly higher) price is for payment after you return the car.

Your choice on which one is better for you.

I should also say that you must have a major credit card to easily rent a car. You CAN rent a car with a debit card, the but the rental company will put a fairly substantial hold on funds to cover the rental, until you return the car and bill is settled.

Edited by VideoTech

One last suggestion: You might look for an Enterprise rentals office in downtown Miami. I suggest this because Enterprise offers a service where they bring the car to you. You then load up, and drive the rental guy back to the Enterprise office, where you do your paperwork, before taking off in your car.

I do not know if they will do this to the port, however. Perhaps someone who has experience with this can help out.

Lots of good advice above - read it twice!

National, Alamo and Thrifty offer a free shuttle from POM to their MIA airport location. The downtown Hertz office also offers a free shuttle but is usually swamped with customers - I would advise a first time renter to skip that location. If you get a good deal from another agency at MIA a cab from POM is only $24+tip. Good luck! :)

I've never had to show a "gas receipt" when returning a rental car in FLL...We just make sure the car is either full or at the same level it was when we rented it.

Some car rental agencies require a gas reciept if you have driven less than 50-75 miles; it should all be explained in your rental agreement, and I always keep my gas receipt just in case there is any question. :cool:

This is a good way to spend your time. We have done this twice after a cruise. Once we spent a beach day at South Beach in Miami. The other time we drove down the highway to the keys. Another option is to drive to the swamp and take an air boat ride.

Both times we were disembarking in Miami and flying out of Miami. But, the drop off charge to FLL should not be that bad.

This is an easy thing to do. Many of the major car rental agencies have a shuttle that will pick you up at the pier. As far as I remember the rental agencies had counters at the airport--but, they were really located a few blocks away. So, you would not need to go on the airport property to get the car.

You must reserve in advance or they will not let you board the shuttle. the first time I did this I had to call from the dock to get a reservation number to get on the bus. Also, it is cheaper to reserve in advance than on the day of departure. [we learned our lesson:p]

Pick who you want to rent with. Google them for "codes". Do an on-line booking, enter that coupon code. Booking done.

If you have full coverage on your auto insurance, decline their insurance.

I've rented a million times w a debit card. Avis swipes my card to see if is valid, puts nothing on hold, and they don't even officially charge my card until 3-4 days after I return it. I find it hilarious that I'm home from vacation and they haven't even taken the money out of my account.

I watch my bank account like a hawk whilst on vacation. There will be some that that will disagree with me. This is MY experience, please don't tell me that it didn't happen this way. It did and does for me.

Most, if not all the majors in Florida do not charge for one way rentals. I do it ALL THE TIME.

Have fun!

I've never had to show a "gas receipt" when returning a rental car in FLL...We just make sure the car is either full or at the same level it was when we rented it.

I've never had to show a gas receipt either, but have heard of some renters/some companies who have been asked for it. Since the OP is a first time renter, i didn't want them to get stuck with that tiny problem.

I've never had to show a gas receipt either, but have heard of some renters/some companies who have been asked for it. Since the OP is a first time renter, i didn't want them to get stuck with that tiny problem.

I guess we've been lucky and have never had to show proof of personal insurance either..but you're right some may have had to.

Most, if not all the majors in Florida do not charge for one way rentals. I do it ALL THE TIME.

Have fun!

I wish that were true. I am taking a repo cruise from FFL to Tampa in nov. So, we are driving to Tampa and staying a few days. then parking our car and taking a one-way rental to FFL. All of the car companies I checked [i hit all the majors and then some] have a one way drop off charge.

If you can give me an example of who doesn't since this is still in Florida please let me know. :D

I wish that were true. I am taking a repo cruise from FFL to Tampa in nov. So, we are driving to Tampa and staying a few days. then parking our car and taking a one-way rental to FFL. All of the car companies I checked [i hit all the majors and then some] have a one way drop off charge.

If you can give me an example of who doesn't since this is still in Florida please let me know. :D

I agree with you .... even picking a rental car up at one Fort Lauderdale location and dropping it off at another, pricing seems to be higher....or maybe it's those darn airport fees when wanting to pickup at FLL and drop it off on 17th Street.

Avis. That's the only one I use.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For four people, you shouldn't need a minivan or SUV, unless you are an extreme overpacker. A standard full-sized sedan should suffice. We managed to comfortably fit four adult women + luggage in a rented Ford Fusion to drive from Knoxville, TN to Tampa, FL (13+ hours!) and back last summer.

I just did the Tampa Airport to Port Everglades trip for our Easter Break. Rented from Budget. Picked up the car at the airport on Friday, and drove to Port Saint Lucie. Saturday morning, drove the remainder of the way, dropping the car off at their location near the port. Hopped on the shuttle to the ship. Total was $41.61.

On the way back, did the reverse. Picked car up at the office near the pier, the drove all the way back to Tampa. That evening, drove over to the airport, dropped the car off and took the hotel shuttle back. Cost for that was $60.26. Neither had any drop off charges.

For four people, you shouldn't need a minivan or SUV, unless you are an extreme overpacker. A standard full-sized sedan should suffice. We managed to comfortably fit four adult women + luggage in a rented Ford Fusion to drive from Knoxville, TN to Tampa, FL (13+ hours!) and back last summer.

I am concerned that 2/4 of us are over packers. And it was less expensive to chose checked bags vs carryon giving license for over packing.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We are renting 1-way from Sixt Car Rental at Orlando Airport 4 days before our cruise out Miami. They have a drop off less than 5 minutes from the Miami cruise port- $8 cab ride. Total rental for the 4 days in a full size car is $138 with all taxes- no drop fee! They also have a location at Miami airport as well. We have used Sixt several times in the past- easy to deal with, fast, no selling pressure, and often a nicer car than reserved is offered free!

• 2 weeks later...
I just did the Tampa Airport to Port Everglades trip for our Easter Break. Rented from Budget. Picked up the car at the airport on Friday, and drove to Port Saint Lucie. Saturday morning, drove the remainder of the way, dropping the car off at their location near the port. Hopped on the shuttle to the ship. Total was $41.61.

On the way back, did the reverse. Picked car up at the office near the pier, the drove all the way back to Tampa. That evening, drove over to the airport, dropped the car off and took the hotel shuttle back. Cost for that was $60.26. Neither had any drop off charges.

Thanks, I will go back and try again. I looked into budget on my first go around. Do you belong to a loyalty program or anything? Or was this a straight up rental?