Are there any female Captains?

brunolvr

Just wondering if NCL (or any other cruiseline) has any female Captains. Are there even any higher up officers who are female? Don't think I've ever seen any women on the Bridge working in that capacity.

There are a few female captains on other cruise lines (two on RCI ships, one on P&O ships, one on Cunard ships) - but so far none on NCL. But I have seen female officers on the bridge on NCL ships (last time was on the Spirit in January of 2014), so maybe in a not too distant future.... ;)

Edited by TrumpyNor

Just wondering if NCL (or any other cruiseline) has any female Captains. Are there even any higher up officers who are female? Don't think I've ever seen any women on the Bridge working in that capacity.

Here's a link to an article about 3 of them; RCI, P&O, and Cunard. Women in the maritime are still a rarity, even in the US with its gender equality measures. Most women don't want to be away from home for months at a time, working alone with all men. I know of a few ships (not passenger ships) that have several female officers, but usually there is just one per ship, as they are still quite a minority.

Little known fact: the US Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, NY, was the first federal academy to enroll women in 1979, ahead of West Point, Annapolis, Air Force and Coast Guard.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=female%20cruise%20ship&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFIQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcrew-center.com%2Ffemale-cruise-ship-captains&ei=OcBfU5jSAtDNsQTz-IDwDg&usg=AFQjCNGsKdIs7BGZYzWLlbEiGDRSdlZ4zw&bvm=bv.65397613,d.cWc

Thanks everyone for all the info. My brain just started thinking last night about never seeing any "female" Captains and/or other officers, so I decided to ask the knowledgeable ones on Cruise Critic! ;)

There are many female bridge officers. Holland America had a female that was f/o on the Ryndam for one of our sailings. It is still fairly uncommon, but give it another 10 years, and it will be the norm. I have female airline captains and f/o all the time.

There are many female bridge officers. Holland America had a female that was f/o on the Ryndam for one of our sailings. It is still fairly uncommon, but give it another 10 years, and it will be the norm. I have female airline captains and f/o all the time.

HAL may actually be the exception, given that their officers are all Dutch. Female maritime officers are even rarer in the countries that most cruise ships recruit their officers from than in the US. As I've said, women maritime officers started sailing in the US about 35 years ago, and they are still very rare. Most of those that attend the maritime colleges don't pursue a career at sea.

Edited by chengkp75

Here's a link to an article about 3 of them; RCI, P&O, and Cunard. Women in the maritime are still a rarity, even in the US with its gender equality measures. Most women don't want to be away from home for months at a time, working alone with all men. I know of a few ships (not passenger ships) that have several female officers, but usually there is just one per ship, as they are still quite a minority.

Little known fact: the US Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, NY, was the first federal academy to enroll women in 1979, ahead of West Point, Annapolis, Air Force and Coast Guard.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=female%20cruise%20ship&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFIQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcrew-center.com%2Ffemale-cruise-ship-captains&ei=OcBfU5jSAtDNsQTz-IDwDg&usg=AFQjCNGsKdIs7BGZYzWLlbEiGDRSdlZ4zw&bvm=bv.65397613,d.cWc

While attending Maine Maritime Academy in 1986 we had 3 women in my class and maybe 3 others in the upper classes. Later classes had in the 10's of women attend.

As far as I know a few of the MMA women graduates did become captains, but not on any cruiseships.

The RCCL ship "Explorer of the Seas" had a woman captain, she swapped off with her male counterpart captain at the beginning of the cruise we went on.

While attending Maine Maritime Academy in 1986 we had 3 women in my class and maybe 3 others in the upper classes. Later classes had in the 10's of women attend.

As far as I know a few of the MMA women graduates did become captains, but not on any cruiseships. That's 'cause there ain't no US flag cruise ships (but one).

The RCCL ship "Explorer of the Seas" had a woman captain, she swapped off with her male counterpart captain at the beginning of the cruise we went on.

Actually, I misquoted the original date. 1979 was their graduation date, they first attended in 1975. I believe that Nancy Wagner, KP '79 was the first US licensed female Captain, with Exxon, back around 1985 or so. She is still sailing, AFAIK, as a San Francisco harbor pilot. Female engineering officers are even rarer, but the ones that stick are exceptional.

Edited by chengkp75

Actually, I misquoted the original date. 1979 was their graduation date, they first attended in 1975. I believe that Nancy Wagner, KP '79 was the first US licensed female Captain, with Exxon, back around 1985 or so. She is still sailing, AFAIK, as a San Francisco harbor pilot. Female engineering officers are even rarer, but the ones that stick are exceptional.

In 1986 there was a high percentage of students from other countries attending the academy. 5 or 6 Panamanians (future, now current pilots for the canal). And a few Malaysians and some South Koreans. Most were men, but there were a couple women in that group. Those folks were most memorable to me. They were good hard working students. Tho too, 2/3 of the Malays and S. Koreans were engineering majors.

Most of us were local Mainers and some ex-military folk.

Edited by NH Cruisers

In 1986 there was a high percentage of students from other countries attending the academy. 5 or 6 Panamanians (future, now current pilots for the canal). And a few Malaysians and some South Koreans. Most were men, but there were a couple women in that group. Those folks were most memorable to me. They were good hard working students. Tho too, 2/3 of the Malays and S. Koreans were engineering majors.

Most of us were local Mainers and some ex-military folk.

Yes, Kings Point has slots set aside for foreign exchange cadets, but the average is pretty low, and they tend to come in clumps so there are not just one or two at a time (less culture shock). The state academies seem to get more foreign students, not sure why.

On a Pearl PC cruise, while on the bridge during a behind the scenes tour, a young lady from Panama was one of the bridge officers.

This young lady is a third officer, the lowest rank of bridge officer. She is seven or more steps and about 20+ years away from being a Captain. Most don't seem to want to stick it out living alone to make that progression!

This young lady is a third officer, the lowest rank of bridge officer. She is seven or more steps and about 20+ years away from being a Captain. Most don't seem to want to stick it out living alone to make that progression!

Well, the progression on most cruise ships is 3rd Officer, 2nd Officer, 1st Officer, Chief Officer, Staff Captain, and Captain. The IMO STCW requirements that most countries adhere to only requires 36 months of sea time as a 3rd Officer before you can apply for a Captain's license. Now, whether you have the knowledge to pass the exam, and whether you have the experience the company requires of its Captains is a different thing. Many US officers have obtained their Captain or Chief Engineer license in as little as 5-6 years, and many have held Captain's positions shortly thereafter.

A cruise ship Captain is far more a CEO position than a traditional Captain's job. You deal with onboard revenue (what other cargo generates revenue while loaded on the ship?), the hotel department, guest satisfaction (what other cargo complains, or needs to be "satisfied" with the voyage?). The Staff Captain's job is more like the traditional Captains job on merchant ships, just like the Staff Chief Engineer is more like a traditional Chief Engineer. The Chief is more like a Superintendent (a traditional shoreside support job), dealing with budgets, future planning, etc. Because of the added responsibilities of being the "CEO" (we used to refer to the Captain as the Mayor of the ship), and the responsibility for living cargo, most cruise lines will look for more seasoned candidates for Captain than other merchant ships.

Edited by chengkp75

This was a Panama Canal cruise? Perhaps she was the pilot?

On a Pearl PC cruise, while on the bridge during a behind the scenes tour, a young lady from Panama was one of the bridge officers.

There is a young lady from Panama that is a Bridge Officer for Norwegian. She was on The Getaway's Transatlantic Crossing in January. I do not remember what rank she held. She had served on the Pearl prior to The Getaway.

They would not be doing a behind the scenes tour during the Canal transit, there would not be anyone allowed on the bridge other than those required for navigation. Also, from the photos, she is wearing an NCL third officer's uniform, and many Canal pilots wear civilian clothes.

Wasn't the California Maritime Academy the first in the United States to admit women cadets in 1973? Interesting that the integration occurred at a state institution before the federal schools. My brother was an upper-class engineering cadet when the first small group of women entered the program and they immediately proved themselves worthy to be cadets.

Wasn't the California Maritime Academy the first in the United States to admit women cadets in 1973? Interesting that the integration occurred at a state institution before the federal schools. My brother was an upper-class engineering cadet when the first small group of women entered the program and they immediately proved themselves worthy to be cadets.

Looked it up, was actually '72 with graduation in '76, as I said later, the women at KP started in 1974, as the class of '79, which is why I remembered it that way. One reason the federal academies were late in allowing women, is that accepting a commission is mandatory, while it is optional at most state schools. And the commissions granted at all the service academies are unrestricted line officers, which meant combat capable. At that time, women officers came from ROTC, because they could get restricted commissions. Times have changed.

I defer to your expertise.

They would not be doing a behind the scenes tour during the Canal transit, there would not be anyone allowed on the bridge other than those required for navigation. Also, from the photos, she is wearing an NCL third officer's uniform, and many Canal pilots wear civilian clothes.

Looked it up, was actually '72 with graduation in '76, as I said later, the women at KP started in 1974, as the class of '79, which is why I remembered it that way. One reason the federal academies were late in allowing women, is that accepting a commission is mandatory, while it is optional at most state schools. And the commissions granted at all the service academies are unrestricted line officers, which meant combat capable. At that time, women officers came from ROTC, because they could get restricted commissions. Times have changed.

Thanks for the reply... I always enjoy your informative posts.

As a Retired Chief Machinist Mate USN with Engineering Officer of the Watch quals on two ships including an "old" aircraft carrier (America) I love reading your posts. The expertise really comes through.

I see you've already had your questions asked, but I wanted to add that I did an interview with a female staff captain on RCI (really cool person) it's in my signature line. She knew very young what she wanted to do and is living her dream. I hope to see her as Captain on a ship I cruise one of these days. :)