Info on officers on the Westerdam

cruz chic

Someone asked for info on the officers on the Westy. Can't recall the thread it was on. Hopefully this answers the questions asked.

Officers on the Westy

Captain - John Scott

Culinary operations manager - Santosh Chandrasekher Nair

Beverage mgr - Mario Jelic

Hotel director - Ron Bontenbal

Executive chef - Pedro Lontoc

Dining room mgr - Bijay Kumar Prajapati

Guest relations manager - Susana Beleo

That explains a lot about your experience.

All but the Captain are new from coming out of Dry Dock. We had a totally different bunch on our cruise on 3/22. Then Capt Scott was in his 2nd week on board.

I hope it is just bonding / growing pains combined with post dry dock rush that made your cruise less than stellar.

That explains a lot about your experience.

All but the Captain are new from coming out of Dry Dock. We had a totally different bunch on our cruise on 3/22. Then Capt Scott was in his 2nd week on board.

I hope it is just bonding / growing pains combined with post dry dock rush that made your cruise less than stellar.

Interesting. I'm not sure if I said this before but I was told half the crew was new as well. I haven't been turned off Hal yet but it's going to take a lot to get me on the Westy again. This is the second less than stellar cruise on that ship. The fact that I had a cold for most of the cruise didn't help.

I was in the vista this morning for immigration. I'm still wondering what is new in there.

Someone asked for info on the officers on the Westy. Can't recall the thread it was on. Hopefully this answers the questions asked.

Officers on the Westy

Captain - John Scott

Culinary operations manager - Santosh Chandrasekher Nair

Beverage mgr - Mario Jelic

Hotel director - Ron Bontenbal

Executive chef - Pedro Lontoc

Dining room mgr - Bijay Kumar Prajapati

Guest relations manager - Susana Beleo

Ron, Hotel Director, started washing dishes as well as being a Room Steward with HAL and knows EVERYTHING about the Westerdam. The crew really respects him since he started at the bottom and worked his way to the top. He was the Hotel Director on the Westerdam in December 2012.

Per the Jason, then the Cruise Director, the Westerdam has the most repeating crew as well as HAL passenger loyalty.

Ron, Hotel Director, started washing dishes as well as being a Room Steward with HAL and knows EVERYTHING about the Westerdam. The crew really respects him since he started at the bottom and worked his way to the top. He was the Hotel Director on the Westerdam in December 2012.

Per the Jason, then the Cruise Director, the Westerdam has the most repeating crew as well as HAL passenger loyalty.

Thats interesting because they sure didn't get many fans coming off that cruise judging from the people I've talked to. I think people need to understand that just because they've had a good cruise on a ship that does not mean every cruise is good. I have one of my best cruises on the NA and one of the worst.

Ron Bontenbal has been the HD on every Westerdam cruise we've been on. Most of the senior engineering and engine room personal have been with the Westerdam since it was launched.

As I recall, Ron's wife was the Future Cruise Consultant on the Westerdam.

Regarding HAL passenger loyalty, the CD on the Zuiderdam said the same thing. A couple of years ago, there was a plaque in the back on the Zuiderdam (where all the other awards, plaques, etc. are mounted) attesting to that fact. That may have changed after all the reported problems that ship experienced a year or so ago.

Edited by kjw869

Thats interesting because they sure didn't get many fans coming off that cruise judging from the people I've talked to. I think people need to understand that just because they've had a good cruise on a ship that does not mean every cruise is good. I have one of my best cruises on the NA and one of the worst.

I agree completely that one cruise does not mean the next will be as good. Some cruises are "great" but all are "good" unless you are on the Carnival Triumph.

Speaking for myself, it takes a LOT to keep me from having a "good" cruise. (The 82 MPH side winds and water over the bow in Alaska a few years ago tested this.) Minor irritants happen in life and cruising as conditions and people are not always perfect. Tolerance and understanding goes a long way but so does pointing out the imperfections to those who can implement changes.

Since an objective rating system for cruises has yet to be established, it is left to the individual cruiser to merely express an opinion. It is certain that a good number of your fellow passengers on the Westerdam had a "great" time and some did not. Hopefully, some of your fellow passengers will comment on their impressions of the Westerdam here on CC.

We will be on the Westerdam for two weeks in July and we look forward to having a "good" vacation. Our fingers are crossed that we will have a "great" one.

Ron Bontenbal has been the HD on every Westerdam cruise we've been on. Most of the senior engineering and engine room personal have been with the Westerdam since it was launched.

As I recall, Ron's wife was the Future Cruise Consultant on the Westerdam.

That was the case when we last sailed on the Westerdam.

I agree completely that one cruise does not mean the next will be as good. Some cruises are "great" but all are "good" unless you are on the Carnival Triumph.

Speaking for myself, it takes a LOT to keep me from having a "good" cruise. (The 82 MPH side winds and water over the bow in Alaska a few years ago tested this.) Minor irritants happen in life and cruising as conditions and people are not always perfect. Tolerance and understanding goes a long way but so does pointing out the imperfections to those who can implement changes.

Since an objective rating system for cruises has yet to be established, it is left to the individual cruiser to merely express an opinion. It is certain that a good number of your fellow passengers on the Westerdam had a "great" time and some did not. Hopefully, some of your fellow passengers will comment on their impressions of the Westerdam here on CC.

We will be on the Westerdam for two weeks in July and we look forward to having a "good" vacation. Our fingers are crossed that we will have a "great" one.

I'm sure there was many folks that had a wonderful time. With all due respect I do have a lot of cruising experience. I find it very hurtful when things are posted to dismiss the way I and my friends feel about a cruise. I have a hard time understanding why any negative feelings must be squashed and dismissed. It makes me reluctant to say anything. Rough seas are a part of cruising. I've been through very rough seas and while it's not my favorite I can't see why that would affect the quality of a cruise.

Edited by cruz chic

I'm sure there was many folks that had a wonderful time. With all due respect I do have a lot of cruising experience. I find it very hurtful when things are posted to dismiss the way I and my friends feel about a cruise. I have a hard time understanding why any negative feelings must be squashed and dismissed. It makes me reluctant to say anything. Rough seas are a part of cruising. I've been through very rough seas and while it's not my favorite I can't see why that would affect the quality of a cruise.

For some reason some folks can't accept that their experiences may vary from other's and find the reporting of issues or disappointments as some sort of personal affront.

While my experience less than a month earlier on the Westerdam was far different than yours, I don't question your veracity. I do try to figure out why that type of difference in experience happens.

I hope none of my posts highlighting our different experiences on the Westerdam came across as dismissive of the shortcomings you experienced.

This reads like a thinly-veiled disparagement of cruz chic's comments IMHO. You may be prepared to tolerate a sub-par cruise experience and then say "any cruise is good". That is your choice. Speaking for myself and my DH, when we spend thousands and thousands of $$$ and use precious vacation time, an "okay" cruise is not good enough.

I expect at a minimum decent service. I am no longer "tolerant and understanding" of an environment where that is an unreasonable or unachievable expectation.

For some reason some folks can't accept that their experiences may vary from other's and find the reporting of issues or disappointments as some sort of personal affront.

While my experience less than a month earlier on the Westerdam was far different than yours, I don't question your veracity. I do try to figure out why that type of difference in experience happens.

I hope none of my posts highlighting our different experiences on the Westerdam came across as dismissive of the shortcomings you experienced.

Not at all. You've been very respectful and I appreciate that. Thx.

This reads like a thinly-veiled disparagement of cruz chic's comments IMHO. You may be prepared to tolerate a sub-par cruise experience and then say "any cruise is good". That is your choice. Speaking for myself and my DH, when we spend thousands and thousands of $$$ and use precious vacation time, an "okay" cruise is not good enough.

I expect at a minimum decent service. I am no longer "tolerant and understanding" of an environment where that is an unreasonable or unachievable expectation.

I'm the same way. If I had unlimited time and money maybe that would be different. I'm not a high maintenance person. It doesn't take much to make me happy.

Like cruz chic and CowPrincess I won't accept less than adequate service, be it my room stewards, food service, bar service etc. I'll be on the Westy in a few weeks and will be taking my HAL contact list (phone numbers and email addresses) so if I have an issue on board that isn't promptly resoved, I can move the issue up the chain.

I agree with you 100%. And to me, I believe that the biggest thing in going into a cruise is the attitude of the passenger and how they take either an attitude of, "I heard or read this about *Insert: service in MDR, Lido, PG or Shabbiness or whatever else you care to insert* and then you start looking for these things and IF you find them then you start having a slightly less than stellar cruise.

If you go in with an attitude of "I am going to have a good time and enjoy this time away from my regular life, no matter what," then you will come off the cruise having had a really great time!

This is not to say that someone else on the same cruise did not have problems or did not enjoy the same experiences that I did, but my attitude going on a cruise is to look forwards and not backwards at the past of others or even my own experience(s).

And to the many people who have posted over the last few years, that I've been a CC Member, go with a list of phone or email contacts to contact when a problem arises, good for you, but to me that seems as if you are already going in with a negative attitude.

Joanie

I can assure you that I'm not going in with a negative attitude. But I've seen enough CC and FB posts from passengers who come back from a cruise who were unable to get the staff on the ship to fix their problems, wishing they had a way of contacting Seattle while they were on the ship. A future cruise OBC once I'm home is not going to fix my non-working toilet or A/C. While some passengers might find those problems acceptable, I don't. So I'll continue to take my list.

I went into this cruise so excited and hopeful. I did not go into this cruise with a bad attitude. I find it very hurtful when people I have defended to a fault in the past turn on me. To those that are respectful I greatly appreciate that. It's one thing to have a different experience, that great, but to say someone has a bad experience because they have a bad attitude is quite another.

Please do not be reluctant to post your opinions. They are what you experienced with your Room Stewards, your MDR waiters, your Dive Inn burger, your crew interactions, and the facilities that you utilized. Nobody should discount your opinion or your declaration of conditions as you see them.

The picture you paint with your opinion brush may be different, or the same as your fellow passengers. All opinions have value and help to paint a realistic picture of the cruise and the ship. Cruising value, as in an oil painting, is in the eye of the beholder.

I am looking forward to your post-cruise review.

Edited by Crew News

I went into this cruise so excited and hopeful. I did not go into this cruise with a bad attitude. I find it very hurtful when people I have defended to a fault in the past turn on me. To those that are respectful I greatly appreciate that. It's one thing to have a different experience, that great, but to say someone has a bad experience because they have a bad attitude is quite another.

There is no way shape or form I was talking about you or Windsailor, and I want you to understand that!!

I was responding to it (the OP) as everyone has a different way of looking at things and handling them. I am sorry that the two of you took exception to that, but I do stand by the comments I made.

Attitudes going into anything, whether a cruise, a new car, dress, life in general is all attitude towards it, them or whatever.

Life sucks for me at times, as it does for others, but I am keeping the attitude that if I can wake every day and thank the good Lord for allowing me to wake on the right side of the grass, then life is good. Same with cruising on any ship. I go into it with an attitude that I am able to cruise at all. I look at it is being something that while many others may have a bad time, for whatever reason, on the same ship even, I will not let that keep me from posting the good things that I had and that I never saw or heard the things someone else might report.

You report on what you experienced, as is 100% correct. I on the other hand report on what I experienced and is also 100% correct, for me. It is up to the person wanting to hear both the good and the bad, to balance them out:)

I hope that you understand what I am trying to explain, you know I have a hard time doing so...........

Joanie

I think you may have hit the nail on the head here :D I don't question the veracity of cruz chic or others either. It seems a shame that the ships can't be more consistent.

Like cruz chic and CowPrincess I won't accept less than adequate service, be it my room stewards, food service, bar service etc. I'll be on the Westy in a few weeks and will be taking my HAL contact list (phone numbers and email addresses) so if I have an issue on board that isn't promptly resoved, I can move the issue up the chain.

I totally agree. I have a great attitude and travel with a 'glass half full' attitude. I know ship can happen and that's ok, but when the service is deplorable (ie the PG on Maasdam) then I will do what I can to try to rectify it on board. I wish I had taken the contact list with me. I did write Seattle when I returned for what little good that will do. Now, granted bad service in the PG isn't as serious as many other issues people face, but it is sad to have such bad service when you have paid for the privilege to have breakfast there and it is supposed to be a perk.

There is no way shape or form I was talking about you or Windsailor, and I want you to understand that!!

I was responding to it (the OP) as everyone has a different way of looking at things and handling them. I am sorry that the two of you took exception to that, but I do stand by the comments I made.

Attitudes going into anything, whether a cruise, a new car, dress, life in general is all attitude towards it, them or whatever.

Life sucks for me at times, as it does for others, but I am keeping the attitude that if I can wake every day and thank the good Lord for allowing me to wake on the right side of the grass, then life is good. Same with cruising on any ship. I go into it with an attitude that I am able to cruise at all. I look at it is being something that while many others may have a bad time, for whatever reason, on the same ship even, I will not let that keep me from posting the good things that I had and that I never saw or heard the things someone else might report.

You report on what you experienced, as is 100% correct. I on the other hand report on what I experienced and is also 100% correct, for me. It is up to the person wanting to hear both the good and the bad, to balance them out:)

I hope that you understand what I am trying to explain, you know I have a hard time doing so...........

Joanie

Life sucks for all of us at times - and preaching to people does not help in the least. It most certainly is not about attitudes, sometimes you have to speak up, yell even, in order to get some fairness in life.

Platitudes that hide sarcasm doesn't help anything.