Info on officers on the Westerdam

cruz chic

"And to the many people who have posted over the last few years, that I've been a CC Member, go with a list of phone or email contacts to contact when a problem arises, good for you, but to me that seems as if you are already going in with a negative attitude."

Since this comment by IRL_Joanie came right after I posted my comment about taking my list of HAL phone numbers...clearly the "you" that was being discussed was me, not the OP or anyone else. Personal attacks on the board are not very helpful.

"And to the many people who have posted over the last few years, that I've been a CC Member, go with a list of phone or email contacts to contact when a problem arises, good for you, but to me that seems as if you are already going in with a negative attitude."

Since this comment by IRL_Joanie came right after I posted my comment about taking my list of HAL phone numbers...clearly the "you" that was being discussed was me, not the OP or anyone else. Personal attacks on the board are not very helpful.

Try not to take this stuff personally. I know, how you feel I wouldn't appreciate the comment either.

It saddens me to see that what started as informative post has caused bad feelings.

we all have different expectations and 'attitude" as someone said brilliantly earlier does not always fix problems on board.

Take your contact list - do your thing and I hope you don't have to use it and have a great cruise:D

That explains a lot about your experience.

All but the Captain are new from coming out of Dry Dock. We had a totally different bunch on our cruise on 3/22. Then Capt Scott was in his 2nd week on board.

I hope it is just bonding / growing pains combined with post dry dock rush that made your cruise less than stellar.

We sailed with Hotel Director, Ron Botenbal, two weeks in November, 2012 over Thanksgiving. He was not new to Westerdam then and is not new to Westerdam now. :) He is a terrific Hotel Director (and gentleman) IMO.

Edited by sail7seas

Ron Bontenbal has been the HD on every Westerdam cruise we've been on. Most of the senior engineering and engine room personal have been with the Westerdam since it was launched.

As I recall, Ron's wife was the Future Cruise Consultant on the Westerdam.

Regarding HAL passenger loyalty, the CD on the Zuiderdam said the same thing. A couple of years ago, there was a plaque in the back on the Zuiderdam (where all the other awards, plaques, etc. are mounted) attesting to that fact. That may have changed after all the reported problems that ship experienced a year or so ago.

Westerdam's former Chief Engineer, who was with that ship for years, has moved along. He is now on another Vista Ship..... same for Guest Relations Manager. :)

We sailed with Hotel Director, Ron Botenbal, two weeks in November, 2012 over Thanksgiving. He was not new to Westerdam then and is not new to Westerdam now. :) He is a terrific Hotel Director (and gentleman) IMO.

My point wasn't to say that Ron Botenbal isn't a proficient HM but that there was a transition in HM and other staff sometime during the Dry Dock period, which might explain why the experience on a cruise just before Dry Dock period might be different than after. People, by nature, resist change. If Mr Botenbal does thing somewhat differently than his immediate predecessor (who's name escapes me right now) it could potentially lead to some pains from the change. Here at work we have several equally competent Supervisors, that each have a different style. When they periodically change shifts for a time production output and quality issue suffer. None of the Supervisors do anything "wrong" or are "not as good" as the others, it is just the fact that the "boss" changes that disrupts the workers. That is all I was suggesting.

Westerdam's former Chief Engineer, who was with that ship for years, has moved along. He is now on another Vista Ship..... same for Guest Relations Manager. :)

Is he the man who is/was married or a boyfriend to the librarian? They were assigned to the same ship much of the time. This was at least 2-3 years ago.

The last time we were on the Westerdam, James Deering was the HD. I haven't seen his name around for a while, I wonder if he retired (again).

Edited by kjw869

Is he the man who is/was married or a boyfriend to the librarian? They were assigned to the same ship much of the time. This was at least 2-3 years ago.

The last time we were on the Westerdam, James Deering was the HD. I haven't seen his name around for a while, I wonder if he retired (again).

No, he is Not that gentleman.

This Chief Engineer is a very happily married man ;) but not to a librarian.

His wife is also happily married :) and is present on the ships.

We sailed with James Deering as Hotel Director on Oosterdam but I don't think that is currently his ship. I think he moves around a bit more than some HD's.

Edited by sail7seas

. None of the Supervisors do anything "wrong" or are "not as good" as the others, it is just the fact that the "boss" changes that disrupts the workers. That is all I was suggesting.

That happens in every job - new director enters the picture and everyone is on edge a little bit and guarded until they know the direction things are going to take. I would imagine it would be the same on a cruise ship as in a hospital or office environment or any job. Probably noticed more in a service industry by people who have been there/done that as being "different" which leads to closer observation of what has changed.

When the business that does service on my car was bought out by another company, I was very observant and critical that they might not have done everything the way the very capable person before had done it. OMG they changed the paper floormats and didn't slide my seat back to the original upright position!!!

No, he is Not that gentleman.

This Chief Engineer is a very happily married man ;) but not to a librarian.

His wife is also happily married :) and is present on the ships.

We sailed with James Deering as Hotel Director on Oosterdam but I don't think that is currently his ship. I think he moves around a bit more than some HD's.

It might have been with a different department then. He was an officer working in the "bowels" of the ship as I recall. The librarian was either married or the BF of that gentleman. He had been with the ship since it launched, but as I said previously, this was 2-3 years ago. She was the one who told us about the high number of crew members that had been with the ship, longer than she had.

However, she was the librarian on the Zuiderdam when she told us these things, and said she couldn't wait to get back on the "Besterdam" as many in the company call the ship.

Besterdam, I would really like the see that sometime. My vote for the best would have to go to the Eurodam or the Oosterdam. Both were light years better than the Westy.

I agree with the Eurodam, but the ONLY time we have had problems on a cruise is on the Oosterdam. Both times, our toilet didn't work. The first cruise, it was out of commission for three of the seven day cruise. The NL concierge told us the plumber told her we were throwing prohibited objects down the toilet, which we denied. After the third day when we were in Ketchikan, the part needed for the bank of toilets was secured and the system was fixed. The plumber told us he never told anyone in the NL that were the cause of the problem. When confronted, the concierge neither apologized for the lie or said a word.

We took a chance on the Oosterdam two years later, and again had toilet problems for only two days. This was also when the Oosterdam was operating with one less thruster which we later found out on Cruise Critic. It was replaced in either Asia or Australia. That is why we were told we would be late arriving in Victoria, because of reduced speed. In Sitka, the anchor got stuck and we spent 90 minutes there trying to pry it loose. The Captain kept announcing how much chain still needed to be brought in every 30 minutes. Finally, we got moving and arrived in Victoria about 9 PM instead of 6 PM. Not much to do in one of our favorite towns in two hours.

In our experiences, the Oosterdam was light years behind the Westerdam. We certainly are not going to take a chance on that ship again

Chief Engineer is a Four Stripe position and they hold Master's licenses.

They are not 'just an officer'. :)

As long as they get the ship into port, evade icebergs and back get us back home, it doesn't matter how many stripes they have to me. :)

I agree with the Eurodam, but the ONLY time we have had problems on a cruise is on the Oosterdam. Both times, our toilet didn't work. The first cruise, it was out of commission for three of the seven day cruise. The NL concierge told us the plumber told her we were throwing prohibited objects down the toilet, which we denied. After the third day when we were in Ketchikan, the part needed for the bank of toilets was secured and the system was fixed. The plumber told us he never told anyone in the NL that were the cause of the problem. When confronted, the concierge neither apologized for the lie or said a word.

We took a chance on the Oosterdam two years later, and again had toilet problems for only two days. This was also when the Oosterdam was operating with one less thruster which we later found out on Cruise Critic. It was replaced in either Asia or Australia. That is why we were told we would be late arriving in Victoria, because of reduced speed. In Sitka, the anchor got stuck and we spent 90 minutes there trying to pry it loose. The Captain kept announcing how much chain still needed to be brought in every 30 minutes. Finally, we got moving and arrived in Victoria about 9 PM instead of 6 PM. Not much to do in one of our favorite towns in two hours.

In our experiences, the Oosterdam was light years behind the Westerdam. We certainly are not going to take a chance on that ship again

Ok yikes! I would be very upset with that. It just goes to show how different things can be for people. I appreciate you sharing that experience.

Ok yikes! I would be very upset with that. It just goes to show how different things can be for people. I appreciate you sharing that experience.

L, I realize that could happen on any ship. I'm glad it wasn't longer or on a long repo cruise!

Hopefully, the service is improving with all the crew changes. We've had great MDR service and some not so great.

L, I realize that could happen on any ship. I'm glad it wasn't longer or on a long repo cruise!

Hopefully, the service is improving with all the crew changes. We've had great MDR service and some not so great.

For sure, it can happen on any ship but when it happens on a ship it turns me off. I had a lot of crappy things happen on the Statendam and I refuse to set foot on that ship. Others seem to like it but I wonder if a lot of drinking is involved in liking that ship:D;).

For sure, it can happen on any ship but when it happens on a ship it turns me off. I had a lot of crappy things happen on the Statendam and I refuse to set foot on that ship. Others seem to like it but I wonder if a lot of drinking is involved in liking that ship:D;).

A lot of drinking will make some like everything, even going to the dentist :)

There is not enough alcohol on the earth to make me like going to the dentist:D.

OMG, I agree 100%.

And just for the record the HM before the Dry Dock was Simon Tanner.

Captain Scott is a very fine, hugely experienced excellent Captain. He was take out Captain for Noordam and sailed her since her Inaugural in February, 2006. It is only in the last year he transferred to Westerdam.

We have sailed with Captain Scott going back years on Veendam and in more recent years on Noordam and Eurodam when he did a brief relief stint and we were on b-to-b.

Like cruz chic and CowPrincess I won't accept less than adequate service, be it my room stewards, food service, bar service etc. I'll be on the Westy in a few weeks and will be taking my HAL contact list (phone numbers and email addresses) so if I have an issue on board that isn't promptly resoved, I can move the issue up the chain.

Just curious what issues will prompt you to use your HAL contact list while on a cruise.

I am certain that you would not cause a crew member to lose their job for a minor infraction such as a late ice delivery or less than a hot burger without reporting it to a Supervisor.

So what issues do you consider worthy of placing a call from the ship to your HAL contacts?

If you have used your contact list in the past, has it brought a quicker resolution of your issue before you disembarked?

Would you be willing to share the phone numbers so that the rest of us can get our issues resolved?

Just curious what issues will prompt you to use your HAL contact list while on a cruise.

I am certain that you would not cause a crew member to lose their job for a minor infraction such as a late ice delivery or less than a hot burger without reporting it to a Supervisor.

So what issues do you consider worthy of placing a call from the ship to your HAL contacts?

If you have used your contact list in the past, has it brought a quicker resolution of your issue before you disembarked?

Would you be willing to share the phone numbers so that the rest of us can get our issues resolved?

A non-working toilet and no A/C in hot climates. Those are the issues that would prompt moving up the chain if not resolved promptly. I haven't had to use my my contact list yet (knock on wood) but will if necessary. I'll give staff on the ship a chance to resolve the problems first.

Edited by Windsailer