Local pubs and restaurants on the Rhine cruise

Luckyladyh

We enjoy going to local pubs and having a beer and talking to the locals. We are taking an Avalon cruise at the end of June. Basel to Amsterdam.

Wondering if anyone experienced any great local pubs on their similar trip. If so, what cities. Also any great dining?

Thanks

Hi , we are actually doing the same cruise with Avalon just the opposite way. We fly out tomorrow for our cruise on the 4th so if you like I can let you know when we get back at the start of June.

Cheers

Ellen :)

Pubbing is a favorite pastime of ours as well. Love it when we are in port overnight so we can go out after dinner!

I try and keep business cards or snap a photo of places we discover so I can share.

This is a great idea for an ongoing thread!

Pubbing is a favorite pastime of ours as well. Love it when we are in port overnight so we can go out after dinner!

I try and keep business cards or snap a photo of places we discover so I can share.

This is a great idea for an ongoing thread!

Yes, haven't you been on a Rhine cruise yet?:) Do you remember any?

We did the Rhine last April on Avalon and had a fantastic trip!! It was our 1st river cruise and we are definately hooked!! Two places we'd recommend that we did that are kind of what you may be looking for:

#1) We did an Avalon "extra" in Rudesheim. We went to a German dinner at Rudesheimer Schloss Resturant with lots of live music, dancing, music games and lots of schnapps & free flowing beer or wine and had a blast! There ended up being 14 of us off our ship that went and everyone had such a great time that we all ended up sleeping in the next morning and rode with the ship to Mannheim/Heidelberg after it dropped folks off for the Maintz tour in the morning stop. Maybe it was kinda touristy, but it was a blast and as close to an authentic German "omm pa pa" dinner as we'll probably get.

#2) A much different time was had by us the next day after we toured Heidelburg. We were returned by bus to our boat in Speyer, Germany where the boat was docked right in front of a family run Biergarten right on the banks of the Rhine called Eichbaum Brauerei Biergarten. They were in a picturesque half timbered building with lots of umbrellas/tarps right out front on the river. It was so authentic that we had somewhat of a language issue as no one working there spoke very much English but we had a great time.

If you stay in Cologne after dark like we did, there are numerous pubs in town, some right on the square overlooking the ship/water. Any of them should be what you are looking for. Hope this helps some. Have a great trip!!!:):)

We enjoyed Bierhaus am Rhein in Cologne and Molly Malone's in Amsterdam.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks. Hubby wants to eat genuine pretzels, and brats in Germany.:) I really don't care for beer. What should I order?

We did a Rhine cruise with Viking last year.. Make sure you see Lindt's Chocolate Museum. A couple blocks away was the afore mentioned Bierhaus. We stopped at a place along the Rhine with outdoor seating called the Haxenhaus. There are a bunch of places in the same vicinity that would be just as good. Enjoy!

We rented a canal apartment in Amsterdam a few years ago and had an incredible tasting menu with beer pairing at Belgisch Restaurant Lieve - thankfully just a literal stumble down the canal from our apartment! We also spent some time at Arendsnest - all Dutch beer, quite the selection (can't find my husband's photo of the tap list but it was LONG)

My husband is an avid homebrewer and we both love craft beer - I spent a year at University in Belgium way back in the day:p We are very much looking forward to our christmas market river cruise (Nuremberg to Basel) but I'm not really doing too much research on where to drink - we'll stumble around and find local places, I have no doubts!

If you are really looking for beer places as reviewed by beer fans, not just "regular" tourists, look at ratebeer.com and beeradvocate.com - great resources with a different sort of reviewer.....

Got2Cruise ~ I'm in your camp - DH enjoys beers, especially traveling in Europe - but I'm just into wine! Most beer houses in Germany - except at the Octoberfest - also serve wine - at least the ones we've been to!!

In Cologne I can highly recommend Peters Brauhaus on Muhlengasse - last December we asked our guide for a "real" local place for lunch and that's what he recommended. I thinkw e were the only non-Germans in the place and the soup was fabulous!! DH enjoyed their beer - not sure what kind and I had wine. It is also close to the river and ship!

Enjoy!!!!

Got2Cruise ~ I'm in your camp - DH enjoys beers, especially traveling in Europe - but I'm just into wine! Most beer houses in Germany - except at the Octoberfest - also serve wine - at least the ones we've been to!!

In Cologne I can highly recommend Peters Brauhaus on Muhlengasse - last December we asked our guide for a "real" local place for lunch and that's what he recommended. I thinkw e were the only non-Germans in the place and the soup was fabulous!! DH enjoyed their beer - not sure what kind and I had wine. It is also close to the river and ship!

Enjoy!!!!

Thanks Peg! Living in Middle Village I'm sure you know good German food when you taste it.;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mary,

After I sent the below message & looked again, I realized you started this thread!! Hope you're enjoying your planning..... take care,

Andy

Hi Andy - still planning - I plan for a day - and then come back to it a few weeks later - never enough time - thanks for all of your suggestions! Mary

We did the Rhine last April on Avalon and had a fantastic trip!! It was our 1st river cruise and we are definately hooked!! Two places we'd recommend that we did that are kind of what you may be looking for:

#1) We did an Avalon "extra" in Rudesheim. We went to a German dinner at Rudesheimer Schloss Resturant with lots of live music, dancing, music games and lots of schnapps & free flowing beer or wine and had a blast! There ended up being 14 of us off our ship that went and everyone had such a great time that we all ended up sleeping in the next morning and rode with the ship to Mannheim/Heidelberg after it dropped folks off for the Maintz tour in the morning stop. Maybe it was kinda touristy, but it was a blast and as close to an authentic German "omm pa pa" dinner as we'll probably get.

#2) A much different time was had by us the next day after we toured Heidelburg. We were returned by bus to our boat in Speyer, Germany where the boat was docked right in front of a family run Biergarten right on the banks of the Rhine called Eichbaum Brauerei Biergarten. They were in a picturesque half timbered building with lots of umbrellas/tarps right out front on the river. It was so authentic that we had somewhat of a language issue as no one working there spoke very much English but we had a great time.

If you stay in Cologne after dark like we did, there are numerous pubs in town, some right on the square overlooking the ship/water. Any of them should be what you are looking for. Hope this helps some. Have a great trip!!!:):)

I grew up in Mannheim and Eichbaum is the local beer for our area. It is not one of the German beers imported into the United States so very few have had it. All German areas have a local brewery and that is primarily what you are going to see people drinking. They each have their own glass, usually of a different shape which I find unique and interesting. Germans also love their wine, especailly around the Rhine so you should have no problem having wine. I prefer the food from our area compared to other regions of Germany. More middle class food if you will. You will find less Sauerbraten and typical cliche German foods. Spaetzel is long noodles served with brown gravy instead of small drops of pasta served only with butter and weisswurst and Schnitzel sandwiches are more common. Thuringerwurst is my favorite. Enjoy the fatherland!

The Spital beer garden in Regensburg is wonderful,a true German beer garden. It is across the river from the famous sausage house, which is much more expensive.

As long as the river doesn't get too high ;). It is a real Biergarten, while the sausage house is worth the visit that is not a Biergarten.

We just finished the Tauck Rhine cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. We looked for opportunities at every stop to use our free time to wander the city and find interesting places to eat and have a beer. I would echo the advice from earlier posters to walk around and look to stumble upon a great place. Someone mentioned Bierhaus on Rhine in Cologne. We also went there and enjoyed it. They serve the light Prost beers in the small glasses. Also in Cologne, we came upon a square near the old town that had multiple stands serving brats, wurst a, etc. had lunch there at a picnic table with a beer. Great find. In Koblenz, the ship docked in the city center and we found an outdoor restaurant and a pub within a few blocks walk. In Speyer, we found a beer garden right across from the cathedral called Domhof (?) Biergarten. We were there early in the day and it was nice but empty. Would have liked to see it when more lively. In Baden Baden, we did the spa tour and walked around after. Found a cute pedestrian only street right near Caracella Spa and a pub with tables outside. Good beer and people watching. Good luck and have a great time

Exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks. Hubby wants to eat genuine pretzels, and brats in Germany.:) I really don't care for beer. What should I order?

You should try a Radler, it's described as a beer/lemonade or sprite-type mix -- that probably sounds worse than it is. One of the ladies we met on our first cruise didn't care for beer, but enjoyed the radlers. One of our tour guides recommended them.

If your cruise includes a stop in Aschaffenburg, the Schlappeseppel is fairly near where the ships dock. http://www.schlappeseppel-ab.de/

You should try a Radler, it's described as a beer/lemonade or sprite-type mix -- that probably sounds worse than it is. One of the ladies we met on our first cruise didn't care for beer, but enjoyed the radlers. One of our tour guides recommended them.

If your cruise includes a stop in Aschaffenburg, the Schlappeseppel is fairly near where the ships dock. http://www.schlappeseppel-ab.de/

Yes I didn't know what that drink was called. We were on a Baltic ocean cruise and there were many Germans onboard. We noticed several pax ordering this drink.