Grills?

Tess of the Sea

Would you say that most passengers who travel in QG and PG are wealthy, or people who have saved for a special occasion and doing this only rarely?

If they are wealthy, are they often business people, business owners, professionals, or more the inherited wealth crowd?

Old fashioned or cutting edge?

Regular travelers for leisure, or travelers with a goal (eg relocation, work)?

Rich tourists, or what's left of the old QE2 crowd?

Middle income people who are splurging?

Young, middle aged, or over 70?

Families, couples or solo travelers?

I know you might say all of the above, but I was looking for the general trend; the majority.

Edited by Tess of the Sea
Typo

Would you say that most passengers who travel in QG and PG are wealthy, or people who have saved for a special occasion and doing this only rarely?I don't know, it's real gauche to ask.

If they are wealthy, are they often business people, business owners, professionals, or more the inherited wealth crowd? Again, you just don't ask about inherited wealth and you should avoid anyone who talks of their "old money". We've enjoyed the company of business people, business owners, professionals, the retired (from anything and everything), and folks who never volunteered their backgrounds (like us) at our PG and QG tables for six.

Neither, mostly just interesting.

50/50 I'd say.

Huh?

See my first reply.

Mostly middle aged and above.

Mostly couples.

I know you might say all of the above, but I was looking for the general trend; the majority.

Above are my takes to your questions based on our dozen PG bookings (more than our fair share of which were upgraded to QG) on QM2 since 2004. BTW we decided to book PG the first time because we could dine whenever we wanted (Britannia Club didn't exist then), we liked the idea of a walk-in closet, and we could afford it.

pmb1's assessment is spot on. You'll find the same mix of people in the Grills as you would among the "rowers". You might find fewer solos since the single supplement for the Grills is 100%.

What I enjoyed about PG was the food, service, and camaraderie with the same dining companions. As a solo, I get to dine by myself every day so having company is a priority for me. Others might find that a turn off.

Above are my takes to your questions based on our dozen PG bookings (more than our fair share of which were upgraded to QG) on QM2 since 2004. BTW we decided to book PG the first time because we could dine whenever we wanted (Britannia Club didn't exist then), we liked the idea of a walk-in closet, and we could afford it.

<<Would you say that most passengers who travel in QG and PG are wealthy, or people who have saved for a special occasion and doing this only rarely?I don't know, it's real gauche to ask.>>

That's why I'm asking anonymously my dear. I'm always trying to understand society and how it changes and evolves. I want to get the pulse of things. How else are you going to find out?

I know there are plenty of wealthy families who never discuss money, and never tell their children how much they have, or any details about it whatsoever, and when they die their children don't have a clue what they're supposed to do with their mysterious "surprise" inheritance. Knowledge is power. The problem with this world (besides wars, famine, and cruelty) is lack of communication, which leads to all kinds of things like misunderstandings, paranoia and conflict.

Since most wealthy people of a certain milieu don't generally travel on cruise ships at all, I wanted to get an idea who did.

My partner and I have travelled in the Grills several times, and we have reservations for an early winter crossing this year during November in Queens Grill. Our next crossing though will be in Britannia. To me being in the Grills is more like the halcyon days of transatlantic travel, or at least how I picture those storied days to have been. I like the formality of the Grills, and the option of ordering off menu is quite nice. Both of us appreciate wonderful food, and generally we have not been disappointed either. In fact the last winter crossing that my partner and I made was in Queens Grill on the QUEEN ELIZABETH. It truly was an exceptional experience from being placed at the same table as fellow Cruise Critic Bobby 1119, having QE2 trained maître 'd Ecco supervising the dinning room, fantastic servers, and masterpieces emanating from the kitchen daily.

Another perk is hosting afternoon tea with friends or cocktails before dinner in your stateroom. It's all so very civilized. On the QM2 my partner and I hosted a party in our room where ocean liner authority Bill Miller came, and I'm told that one of the guest at the event was a British Lord. Even better to my way of thinking we enjoyed the company of a former captain of the DELTA QUEEN and his wife, and not to mention several Cruise Critics also.

We can make every crossing in the Grills, but we certainly savor them when we do.

Edited by Calliope

Would you say that most passengers who travel in QG and PG are wealthy, or people who have saved for a special occasion and doing this only rarely?

If they are wealthy, are they often business people, business owners, professionals, or more the inherited wealth crowd?

I've read posts that bothered me, but I must say this one really takes the cake! -Salacia

<<Would you say that most passengers who travel in QG and PG are wealthy, or people who have saved for a special occasion and doing this only rarely?I don't know, it's real gauche to ask.>>

That's why I'm asking anonymously my dear. I'm always trying to understand society and how it changes and evolves. I want to get the pulse of things. How else are you going to find out?

I know there are plenty of wealthy families who never discuss money, and never tell their children how much they have, or any details about it whatsoever, and when they die their children don't have a clue what they're supposed to do with their mysterious "surprise" inheritance. Knowledge is power. The problem with this world (besides wars, famine, and cruelty) is lack of communication, which leads to all kinds of things like misunderstandings, paranoia and conflict.

Since most wealthy people of a certain milieu don't generally travel on cruise ships at all, I wanted to get an idea who did.

Tess, I am lucky enough to book all our cruises in QG.

In the main, I couldn't tell you who has what. It is not a topic of conversation I've ever encountered. All I can tell you is there's a very interesting cross section of life's experiences, a mixture of ages [ full world voyages definitely veer towards the older passenger although sector cruisers bring the average down a bit] and nationalities and they are no different to any other passenger on the ship other than they have a larger cabin and dine in a different restaurant.

I have been cruising regularly for around 20 years, never on Cunard yet.

I have found that there are cruisers and people who go on cruises. Real cruisers come from all walks of life, some rich but most who work hard to afford their cruises.

We are about to take our first Cunard cruise, not in the Grills I might add.

I would never dream of asking fellow cruisers what they do or how much money they have.

If the OP wants to know these details I suggest she takes a cruise or voyage on the said class and finds out herself.

Would you say that most passengers who travel in QG and PG are wealthy, or people who have saved for a special occasion and doing this only rarely? If they are wealthy, are they often business people, business owners, professionals, or more the inherited wealth crowd? Old fashioned or cutting edge? Regular travelers for leisure, or travelers with a goal (eg relocation, work)? Rich tourists, or what's left of the old QE2 crowd? Middle income people who are splurging?Young, middle aged, or over 70? Families, couples or solo travelers?

All of the above.

Plus..... people with one leg, delightful new friends, crashing bores, elegantly turned out folks and those who turn up from breakfast straight from the gym. People from the farthest flung parts of the world and couples who you will find live just around the corner. Gamblers, book readers, gym bunnies, worshipers of Baccus. Lovers of fine food and those who miss a burger like they the ones can get at home. Jokers, larger than life personalities, people who go, "tut tut". The judged, the judgemental, the happy go lucky,the class conscious, the classless, the silent wealthy, the ten-bob millionaires and the "I'm so lucky to be here" brigade. And, of course, the those who put people into categories.

A bit like Britannia class really.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

I'm sure I'll be one of the youngest, solo QG passengers on QM2 coming in at 29.

I don't particularly care how rich Grills passengers are. I'm more interested in whether they have a sense of humour and have interesting stories to tell.

I met some really nice people on my first voyage (in Britannia).

I have been cruising regularly for around 20 years, never on Cunard yet.

I have found that there are cruisers and people who go on cruises. Real cruisers come from all walks of life, some rich but most who work hard to afford their cruises.

We are about to take our first Cunard cruise, not in the Grills I might add.

I would never dream of asking fellow cruisers what they do or how much money they have.

If the OP wants to know these details I suggest she takes a cruise or voyage on the said class and finds out herself.

I have no interest in knowing how much money people have. It is really a question about demographics. You could say my interest is purely scientific.

All of the above.

Plus..... people with one leg, delightful new friends, crashing bores, elegantly turned out folks and those who turn up from breakfast straight from the gym. People from the farthest flung parts of the world and couples who you will find live just around the corner. Gamblers, book readers, gym bunnies, worshipers of Baccus. Lovers of fine food and those who miss a burger like they the ones can get at home. Jokers, larger than life personalities, people who go, "tut tut". The judged, the judgemental, the happy go lucky,the class conscious, the classless, the silent wealthy, the ten-bob millionaires and the "I'm so lucky to be here" brigade. And, of course, the those who put people into categories.

A bit like Britannia class really.

Ho ho ho.................very good!!

I NEVER discuss religion, finance, politics, sexual orientation, or Health issues, with those passengers I meet on a cruise. So I do not know if a passenger is in the Grills or like myself a "rower". I ask only that they be "friendly", though of course this is sometimes difficult given the history of the 20th century.

I travel solo , in least expensive inside cabin, save each month for my cruises so I will never afford the cost of the Grills, indeed I doubt I would enjoy the Grills Not for any other reason other than it is anytime dining, and I do enjoy a table for 6-8 where everyone assembles at the same time. I enjoy the conversations.

It is the same wherever I am on the ship, I am always very pleased when someone offers to join me at a table in Sir Samuels or Chart Room.

Age is a touchy subject, it can be just figures on a piece of paper. I may have mobility problems, but my mind and sense of humour are "young".

If I were to give advice, it would be , research the ship, its activities, its ports/sea days. and chose that which FITS YOUR IDEAS, (and your wallet).

Edited by Jimsgirl

Sorry to offend, but if you were conducting a marketing survey, this would be the kind of information you'd want to have.

Not sure any marketing survey I've ever taken has asked if I've inherited my wealth!

If your interest is purely scientific, then I would suggest more scientific means of gathering the information rather than asking people on a forum to speculate. The only understanding of society you collect this way is how people perceive their fellow passengers (sorry, guests...). Unless of course someone wishes to put forward their own reasons for travelling grills and how they can afford it. But I doubt enough people would contribute to be able to observe a trend.

Anyway, in honest answer to your question, from my experience there is no general trend or majority. Having said that, I've never really asked anyone about their income or how they afford their voyage unless they have brought it up themselves... which has happened on very few occasions and certainly not often enough to make a sweeping statement about the majority.

Edited by bkecky

Not sure any marketing survey I've ever taken has asked if I've inherited my wealth!

If your interest is purely scientific, then I would suggest more scientific means of gathering the information rather than asking people on a forum to speculate. The only understanding of society you collect this way is how people perceive their fellow passengers (sorry, guests...). Unless of course someone wishes to put forward their own reasons for travelling grills and how they can afford it. But I doubt enough people would contribute to be able to observe a trend.

Anyway, in honest answer to your question, from my experience there is no general trend or majority. Having said that, I've never really asked anyone about their income or how they afford their voyage unless they have brought it up themselves... which has happened on very few occasions and certainly not often enough to make a sweeping statement about the majority.

I suppose it was a bit naive of me to ask in this way. Just to be clear, however, I'm not interested in how people afford the Grills, but rather in why they travel in the Grills (besides the obvious).

There are people who come from wealthy backgrounds (like my family/ancestors) who are notoriously puritanical about spending money. Cheap, shall we say. That's one way to keep your money. At least they are/were not ostentatious when spending money on themselves, but more generous in terms of charity. I had one family member who did enjoy a more lavish lifestyle, to the disapproval of the others.

I have traveled in the Grills myself, twice, but that's it.

We can make every crossing in the Grills, but we certainly savor them when we do.

Opps, that should read, We can NOT make...I do proof read these things too, but that one got by me.

I think I'd feel a bit uncomfortable if the OP and I were on the same table for dinner. I'd feel she was always sizing us all up and wondering which of her categories she thought we fitted into. We'd probably say .....

just normal folks who enjoy cruising :).

I think this thread is hysterical! However I would add to your survey question as to whether the passenger earned his/her money through illegal means. A former drug dealer? An ex-hooker? We shared a table in the Britannia with a former pole dancer, and I swear, her boy friend looked like English Mafia!

I think I'd feel a bit uncomfortable if the OP and I were on the same table for dinner. I'd feel she was always sizing us all up and wondering which of her categories she thought we fitted into. We'd probably say .....

just normal folks who enjoy cruising :).

Well, no. I don't think about these things when traveling. It was really just meant to be an innocent question about why people choose to travel in the Grills. I tried to explain in my various replies.

Good heavens, if I'd know I'd be opening up such a can of worms, I would have refrained from asking this. :eek:

... but rather in why they travel in the Grills (besides the obvious). ...
Duh, the obvious is the reason: larger cabin, walk-in closet, same table/staff every meal, QGL, Concierge Lounge, etc., etc.

Well, no. I don't think about these things when traveling. It was really just meant to be an innocent question about why people choose to travel in the Grills. I tried to explain in my various replies.

Good heavens, if I'd know I'd be opening up such a can of worms, I would have refrained from asking this. :eek:

At least we have had a more spirited thread than some. :p

I think this thread is hysterical! However I would add to your survey question as to whether the passenger earned his/her money through illegal means. A former drug dealer? An ex-hooker? We shared a table in the Britannia with a former pole dancer, and I swear, her boy friend looked like English Mafia!

Well there, you've answered my question! ;):D

We splurged twice(1-PGrill,1 Q-Grill)Price wise it's out of our range for every trip. We have a friend of our mother thast has gone a few times with us. She's got Daddy Warbuck's type money, but travels in Britannia. Get her into H. Stern & it's a different story!