Unhappy Passengers

antsp

On Tuesday morning we left the Emerald Princess after a very enjoyable 21 days onboard. We left the ship early due to woork commitments as the cruise does not finish until Saturday. As we loaded our luggage into the elevator to go down to deck 4 I made a little joke to a lady that we where getting off as we could stand it no more. As soon as I made this comment the lady went of on one saying how bad the cruise had been, its not like it used to be and that she couldn't wait to get off in Southampton. Thinking back I always seem to meet someone like this on every cruise, am I unlucky or do you all bump into a moaner too. In 3 weeks the only problems on the ship was slow service in the anytime dining rooms. In other words, another great Princess Cruise.

I was just talking about this yesterday. On my first cruise, I was overwhelmed by the number of people fussing the entire time. From the time they walked on the boat til the end. There was always someone complaining about something. My thought was heck, I have food and sun and someone else is driving. There will be festive places to visit and things to do--SMILE!

Sure cruising has changed but the general concept is still there. Vacations are about relaxing and being happy.

We most often cruise with family, extended family or groups of other couples. I prefer to be in the company of those who are positive, not complainers and those lamenting about cruising not being what it used to be. When it is DH and I only, we ask for a table for two. I hate to sound anti-social, which is the furthest term anyone who knows me would describe me as, but I really prefer not to risk being around all of the negative nellies in the world when I am enjoying a nice cruise...;)

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Part of me is glad that I've just started cruising in the past 5 years or so I don't have any simmering resentment for things changing from a fabled past. I've had a great time on all my cruises (even the first two on Carnival). Maybe its because I'm still working, so a day on a ship is far better than a day at the office, but I've yet to find anything that's made a cruise less-than-stellar, let alone awful.

I totally agree. We've been cruising for 30 years, on numerous cruise lines, and all are different. However, the success of the cruise is made by one's own attitude, and we've always had a great time. A positive attitude virtually ensures a great cruise, but if you start out negative you will find your expectations met.

Just be glad you weren't cruising with that woman. Imagine having that attitude drag you down for the entire cruise? I wonder why she continues cruising if it was that bad? Lack of flexibility and creativity maybe? We make our own futures, not just on the cruise ship, but in life as well. Feel sorry for that woman, she must be pretty miserable in her life to "hate" the cruise vacation she's privileged to be able to take.

Part of me is glad that I've just started cruising in the past 5 years or so I don't have any simmering resentment for things changing from a fabled past. I've had a great time on all my cruises (even the first two on Carnival). Maybe its because I'm still working, so a day on a ship is far better than a day at the office, but I've yet to find anything that's made a cruise less-than-stellar, let alone awful.

My thoughts exactly. We've only been cruising for about 2 years, taken 3 cruises so far, and had a great vacation each time. It is, indeed, much better than being at the office!

Put someone in a 5 star luxury all inclusive and they will still find something to b*tch about. It's human nature to complain. DW & I steer clear away from complainers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me too! I still have a great time stepping on a new ship (for me anyway) and sometimes a new cruise line. Still a GREAT vacation value

John in NC

Exactly! I am just plain grateful I have the opportunity to just relax and be pampered! :cool:

My BIL and I have had a running argument regarding the food at buffets for several years. Doesn't matter the ship or line...or even a land restaurant.

I'm not the buffet lover and only go if I have no other choice. I prefer being seated and waited on, I don't care to go fetch food and then search a crowded room for a seat. I also don't care that I have a multitude of choices laid before me, I can select very easily off a short menu. I've never felt that buffet food, land or sea, is the same quality as food cooked to order.

He, on the other hand, loves the buffet for exactly the opposite reasons as I. He likes the choices, he will go to breakfast at 6 am to avoid crowds. He states the food is fresh and fine at that time (I had always assumed they keep cooking and replenishing, not cook it all at 6 am). He wants to eat lunch there as well, even on sea days when there are other options available. The only acceptable option we've found he likes is Alfredo's for pizza.

This past cruise on Royal Princess, he had what sounds to me like the typical experience I've always found at cruise ship buffet...and he's still complaining loud and long 2 weeks later. I'm proud of myself handling his ranting, only once did I mention "the food is never that great at the buffet", the rest of the time, I keep my mouth shut.

He's not a member of CC, but is aware that I am, so asked me if I would write a complaint about the buffet food. So here it is :p

ps, we didn't have lunch or breakfast with him very often on this cruise ;)

Edited by Happy ks

The whole point is, not everyone is pleased with everything. Unfortunately, you spoke to the wrong person at the wrong time.

Try to forget the negativity and remember the good times.

Why is it we tend to focus on the bozo naysayer in the elevator, yet forget about the other 2500+ that were happy and obliging?

Bit of a shame, all the nice people you speak to over 3 weeks and the last person you speak to on the ship is a grumpy person

We cruised 150 days last winter, and the only complaining passengers I encountered were on the Royal Princess. None on the Nieuw Amsterdam, none on the Allure OTS, none on the Emerald Princess. I also didn't witness even one case of passengers rudeness aside from chair hogs (and I really don't think those people recognize there's an issue with doing that). Good luck, absolutely, but, like SunsetBeachGal (Hi Carole!) I made a huge effort in avoiding passenger interactions where I'm likely to encounter issues...tables for 2 (even in the buffet, I never ask to dine with anyone else, though others sometimes ask to share our table), leaving the hot tub if fellow passengers seemed inclined that way. I'd rather be asocial than encounter complainers. It also helps that since I've made a concerted effort to stop reporting about such things either on CC or my blog, I've stop noticing them. I think some people take the complaining about complainers and rudeness thing so far that they delight in finding people to report back about.

JMHO.

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Maybe the lady was just homesick, and misses her 52 cats

:D

Also, when we had cruise critic group meeting in the past we would have people want to join in just to complain about the current cruise......LOL

A couple of cruises ago we had missed one of the miss and greets. Ran into a new friend from the roll call and she told us that someone from the roll call actually was complaining about the lack of strawberries (and our friend :rolleyes: over this as just about everyone should that it was the time of year that strawberries aren't in season and there was plenty -- and nice and fresh -- fruit available on this cruise; just not strawberries).

Let's face it: some people wake up and not happy until they find something to complain about.

For me being on a cruise means I'm not cooking, cleaning, driving, etc. We often eat in the Horizon without feeling we're being shortchanged. My hubby likes to start his morning with a made-to-order omelet there. We often will get our lunch from the poolside grill.

On my first cruise, we were seated at breakfast with a couple who reminded us of that couple in the Grant Wood painting. Dour look. I don't remember if they actually complained about their cruise, but I didn't get the idea this was their idea of fun.

On the other hand, on our Alaskan cruise, there was an old geezer, shorter than even petite me, who was on our same deck. He didn't seem to be all that mobile and kind of waddled at a snail's pace with a wide stance. One of his friends noticed that we were behind him one day (on our way to the other end of the ship for a meal) and was trying unsuccessfully to gesture to him to move to one side instead of walking right down the middle of the hallway. We were more amused than irritated so we tried to wave off his friend. Everytime we saw him, he seemed to be having fun. When we saw him in his tuxedo on one formal night, he looked exactly like that guy in the Six Flags Magic Mountain commercial -- with the dancer dressed as an old guy, with bald head and big black framed glasses, but definitely very agile.

I always wonder why my Butler is not waiting to serve me at home.... Just plain Rude!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Check the maids quarters and see what you find.