Unhappy Passengers

antsp

It's always true that you can have two people on the same cruise at the same time with completely different expectations and experiences. It doesn't matter which ship, which cruise line, which itinerary, etc. You can also have two people with the exact same experience and they look at it differently.

Some of the best cruises I've taken had major problems (yes, really major) but if you let the small stuff get to you, you'll be miserable. Absolutely no cruise is perfect. None. Nada. Zippo. It's how you handle the little or big annoyances that show your character. Ships get rust because they're at sea all the time. Just because you see a rust spot doesn't mean the ship is in poor condition. Decks get wet when people get out of the pool. Don't run to get someone to mop it up because someone else will come out of the pool or hot tub as soon as it is. Don't wear slippery or 5" heels on deck.

On Tuesday morning we left the Emerald Princess after a very enjoyable 21 days onboard. We left the ship early due to woork commitments as the cruise does not finish until Saturday. As we loaded our luggage into the elevator to go down to deck 4 I made a little joke to a lady that we where getting off as we could stand it no more. As soon as I made this comment the lady went of on one saying how bad the cruise had been, its not like it used to be and that she couldn't wait to get off in Southampton. Thinking back I always seem to meet someone like this on every cruise, am I unlucky or do you all bump into a moaner too. In 3 weeks the only problems on the ship was slow service in the anytime dining rooms. In other words, another great Princess Cruise.

Funny story. Yes, there always seems to be someone like that on every cruise.

Glad you had a great cruise! :D

LuLu

We have met complainers on most of our cruises. We just shake our heads and go on our merry way, enjoying the cruise. Life is a blessing and we won't waste precious time dwelling on the negative. We know how lucky we are to have our health and to be able to experience cruising and seeing the world.:) :D

If cruising was like it used to be, I would be booking Sitmar instead of Princess for October.;) :D

For those who don't understand this post, Princess bought out Sitmar.

We also loved Sitmar and came to Princess via Sitmar! :)

LuLu

we have met complainers on most of our cruises. We just shake our heads and go on our merry way, enjoying the cruise. Life is a blessing and we won't waste precious time dwelling on the negative. We know how lucky we are to have our health and to be able to experience cruising and seeing the world.:) :d

amen;)

I look at cruises as basically moving hotels that take me to wonderful places. Everything else is just a nice extra. I'm not saying everything is perfect all the time. I've had problems with the Anytime Dining in the past, for instance. But, I didn't let it prevent me from enjoying every other aspect of the cruise. In fact, the worst experience I had in ATD was on the Coral Princess Panama Canal cruise. Which was the best cruise I've taken so far.

I'm a glass half full kinda person. We had our very first cruise 'late in life' only 3 years ago - a WONDERFUL introduction to this style of vacationing. Our 2nd cruise was SUPPOSED to be a 4 day trip to Bermuda on the Caribbean P - BUT our plans (and those of an entire cruise industry) were waylaid by "Sandy". I was so grateful to be on a ship - even though it could only get as far away as Boston (hey - the port DID begin with the letter "B"). Princess took such extremely good care of us - food, lights, entertainment and SAFETY from the storm - everything we expected except for a tour of an island we'd never been to.

What took me by surprise was the degree of absolutely horrid behavior of some passengers who lined up at the Pax Svc desk and berated and yelled at the staff about their vacation being ruined. Mind you - it was pretty good knowledge that this hurricane was a potential deal breaker. I remember going up to one of the clerks to discuss some random question and saw how tense he was until I addressed him calmly and with a smile and told him I knew he'd had a rough time of it and that WE appreciated his time and assistance. I could see the tension in his eyes melt away.

I suppose there are those whose expectations are high and feel the need for compensation for anything less. I try to let those staff members, who I observe being the brunt of these tirades, know that their dedication and hard work has NOT gone unnoticed and that, with rare occasion, EVERYONE working on those ships make the utmost effort to ensure that OUR time and OUR money is well spent.

Just my 2 cents worth.

We have been cruising since way back when and thank goodness for some of the changes! We were on our honeymoon cruise back in 1979 and we were seated with the only complainer on the ship for dinner :eek: It was an older man and his wife (as were most of the cruisers at this time) who had something negative to say about eveything on the ship. His wife was so embarassed! We asked to be moved to a different table, but there wasn't any other table available since there were only 2 dinner times, early & late and the buffet was not open at dinner. On the last night of the cruise, we couldn't take it any longer, so we told him that we hoped when we were his age that we weren't as crabby as him!! He was pretty shocked (I guess no one has ever told him that before) and he stayed quiet for the rest of the meal. The other couple seated with us could not hold back their smiles.

We have never had a bad cruise and hopefully never will :)

Some people just like to complain. It makes them happy. There are a few like that in my family. I've met a few on cruises, too. If they can't find something to complain about, they'll make something up.

We cruised 150 days last winter, and the only complaining passengers I encountered were on the Royal Princess. None on the Nieuw Amsterdam, none on the Allure OTS, none on the Emerald Princess. I also didn't witness even one case of passengers rudeness aside from chair hogs (and I really don't think those people recognize there's an issue with doing that). Good luck, absolutely, but, like SunsetBeachGal (Hi Carole!) I made a huge effort in avoiding passenger interactions where I'm likely to encounter issues...tables for 2 (even in the buffet, I never ask to dine with anyone else, though others sometimes ask to share our table), leaving the hot tub if fellow passengers seemed inclined that way. I'd rather be asocial than encounter complainers. It also helps that since I've made a concerted effort to stop reporting about such things either on CC or my blog, I've stop noticing them. I think some people take the complaining about complainers and rudeness thing so far that they delight in finding people to report back

about.

JMHO.

Great point, PescadoAmarillo. Very profound. Thanks so much.

On Tuesday morning we left the Emerald Princess after a very enjoyable 21 days onboard. We left the ship early due to woork commitments as the cruise does not finish until Saturday. As we loaded our luggage into the elevator to go down to deck 4 I made a little joke to a lady that we where getting off as we could stand it no more. As soon as I made this comment the lady went of on one saying how bad the cruise had been, its not like it used to be and that she couldn't wait to get off in Southampton. Thinking back I always seem to meet someone like this on every cruise, am I unlucky or do you all bump into a moaner too. In 3 weeks the only problems on the ship was slow service in the anytime dining rooms. In other words, another great Princess Cruise.

My 12 year old granddaughter was on her first cruise, and she was loving it< She was in the elevator as a older lady got in, so my GD said "How is your day going", the reply she got was a total rant about everything that was wrong on the cruise. My GD was totally gobsmacked, so retreated at the next level, saying "Well enjoy the rest of your day". PS it has not put her off cruising!

Thinking back I always seem to meet someone like this on every cruise, am I unlucky or do you all bump into a moaner too.

Then these people come home and post on cruise critic.

Many, many people take the 'critic' portion very seriously.

Somehow this reminds me of an experience at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

Two other couples we did not know frequently went there when we did on Saturday evenings. Their waitress was a friend of ours and she confided that they always found something to complain about, sent food back that was not to their liking, etc.

She finally got up the courage to ask them why they returned to eat there and their reply was "It's our favorite restaurant!"

36rascal.

On the Ruby TA in the spring of 2010 there was a lady in front of us at the muster drill complaining that it was the worst cruise she'd ever been on. She complained about the food, the unfriendly crew, the ugly cabins, and the general feeling of the ship. She said she was going to demand a meeting with "this Mr. Tony, the captain" to straighten him out. She said she assumed must be a very young captain. The captain was Capt. Tony Yeoman who was one of the best and most experienced captains on Princess. It was all I could do not to tell her that she'd better get off before we sailed. How could anyone be that unhappy and disappointed in the cruise before we even left the dock? With that attitude I'm glad we didn't run into her anywhere else during the cruise.

I'm not working. Someone else is cooking. I can drink because someone else is doing the driving. And I get to see beautiful sunrises and sunsets. I have never had a bad cruise and I don't get it when people waste their time complaining.

I'm a glass half full type, been cruising 30+ years but still surprises me to hear unhappy people on a cruise.

I don't know if it is an entitlement thing where they expect the sun and moon but only got a few stars or what, but there are always some on every cruise.

Some people complain about everything. Some will write multiple letters full of complaints to Princess in hopes of Princess giving them some compensation. Then they brag about getting money from Princess. Believe me Princess has a list of those complainers.

But like most people once on the ship, we are on vacation. We love the pampering, the fact that someone else cooks and cleans for us. Nothing is better then a cruise and every cruise I have taken has been fantastic, even the mystery cruise during hurricane Sandy. Life is too short to be grumpy.

I feel so fortunate to be able to cruise a few times a year! We always have a good time and can't imagine why these constant complainers even bother going. Just stay home please and save us from listening throughout the voyage!