Decided to Rent a Car in Skagway - tips/advice?

vermonter16

DH and I decided to rent a car in Skagway through Avis. Are there any 'must sees' that we should not miss or places to eat? Is Whitehorse worth making the trip? I plan to get at the car rental early to be able to get out of town quickly. Also - leaning towards downloading the Murry's Guide as well. We'll be in Skagway 12 May - hoping that we'll be able to see some green on Emerald Lake.

We have booked a car on May 13th from Avis and are really excited about the drive. I have purchased Murrays guide and it has some great info, would highly recommend it for the price. I emailed Murray and he is optimistic about the ice being gone from Emerald lake by the time we get there. Have a great trip.

Murray's guide is "necessary", in my opinion. He updates every year.

With both of you going mid May, there will be a lot of snow on White Pass and in the Yukon. I give very high percentages to Emerald Lake still being frozen. I've traveled frequently a week later where that was the case consistantly.

As for Whitehorse, it's a boring ride after Emerald Lake, and a big drop off in scenery. There is a Harley Shop and a Walmart, but usually won't be a lot of time to do any activities.

A MAJOR suggestion, I always make, is to SET your trip milage to zero, in Skagway. The mile posts aren't always easy to see and not at every mile, some are missing, over grown etc.

We are renting a jeep in Skagway June 17th. Through the jeep company they will give us a map & suggested route to take along with a narrated cd if we want to listen to it.

What is Murray's guide?

We are renting a jeep in Skagway June 17th. Through the jeep company they will give us a map & suggested route to take along with a narrated cd if we want to listen to it.

What is Murray's guide?

A little misleading, there is no "suggested route", it's either the Klondike Highway or Dyea Road.

The narration (which is likely only for the Klondike Highway) may be a good option, if you can keep track of it. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

A little misleading, there is no "suggested route", it's either the Klondike Highway or Dyea Road.

The narration may be a good option, if you can keep track of it. :)

I assume it means they will give us the route for both the Klondike Highway & Dyea Road labeled with what we will see & where.

I assume it means they will give us the route for both the Klondike Highway & Dyea Road labeled with what we will see & where.

Sounds like it. :)

It would be of benefit to see if it can be sent to you ahead of time, or get Murray's Guide- which is likely much more extensive, over 15 pages. This would familiarize your plans for the drive.

A MAJOR suggestion, I always make, is to SET your trip milage to zero, in Skagway. The mile posts aren't always easy to see and not at every mile, some are missing, over grown etc.

To avoid being confused right from the start, though, Mile "0" is at the ferry terminal. For gas, the "new" one (Corner Gas) is 5-6 cents cheaper and there are many pumps instead of just 2.

Getting out of town early is a very good idea. Last time we rented in Skagway one of us picked up some sandwiches at a deli that we had called in while on the ship that morning and the other went to pick up the car as soon as we could get off the ship. Since we weren’t the first ship in port that day there was already a long line and the wait was over 30 minutes. The tour buses depart first and head up the highway although it is nice if you can beat the rest of the traffic.

To avoid being confused right from the start, though, Mile "0" is at the ferry terminal. For gas, the "new" one (Corner Gas) is 5-6 cents cheaper and there are many pumps instead of just 2.

Where is the new station? I asked in a different post, but never got a response.

Yes, I know the mile zero is at the ferry, but, If the car is set at Avis, it would be within a mile of trip log. :)

Wow, finally another gas station? Must have been a big undertaking!!!

Thanks for the updated information.

Edited by Budget Queen

I purchased Murray's Guide and downloaded it to my iPad and iPhone... I think it was and is well worth the $5 to have it. It lists places to stop, mile markers and has plenty of pictures, and lots of other information.

I purchased Murray's Guide and downloaded it to my iPad and iPhone... I think it was and is well worth the $5 to have it. It lists places to stop, mile markers and has plenty of pictures, and lots of other information.

An update is planned for later this month, so if you're leaving in June or later, there might be better information soon.

DH and I decided to rent a car in Skagway through Avis. Are there any 'must sees' that we should not miss or places to eat? Is Whitehorse worth making the trip? I plan to get at the car rental early to be able to get out of town quickly. Also - leaning towards downloading the Murry's Guide as well. We'll be in Skagway 12 May - hoping that we'll be able to see some green on Emerald Lake.

Sometimes it pays to wait a bit before heading off to Emerald Lake as many other people have the same idea as you. Not that it will bring traffic jams, but we left a bit later and were the only ones at the lake when we arrived. We took our time going, stopping at many places. The return trip we really didn't stop that much.

Along the way, stop at several waterfalls, to admire some of the majestic scenery, a stop by the 'Entering the Yukon' sign is a must, a stop in Carcross is a must as well as a walk in the desert. We had brought some sandwiches off the ship and made a little picnic at Emerald Lake, and arrived back in Skagway in plenty of time to still wander about the town for a while.

If you are interested, here are a few pix from the trip

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain388.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain397-1.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain407.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain410.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain418.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/new%20alaska/alaskamain427.jpg

Cheers

Len

Sometimes it pays to wait a bit before heading off to Emerald Lake as many other people have the same idea as you.

Timing is important. Not many people (relatively speaking) leave Skagway at 08:30 or so, MANY more leave later (including the tour bus hordes). The best light at Emerald Lake is in the morning - your photo shows that by the time you got there, you'd missed it.

Timing is important. Not many people (relatively speaking) leave Skagway at 08:30 or so, MANY more leave later (including the tour bus hordes). The best light at Emerald Lake is in the morning - your photo shows that by the time you got there, you'd missed it.

I guess we'll just have to do it again :D:D:D:D:D

Cheers

Len

Has anyone done train in the morning and rental car in the afternoon? We are in Skagway Saturday June 28, 7am to 9pm. I believe the shorter train excursions return to port by 1 pm. Trying to figure out both train and drive in the most flexible, cost effective manner. Three if us traveling (3 generations ranging in age from 5 to 70+).

Has anyone done train in the morning and rental car in the afternoon? We are in Skagway Saturday June 28, 7am to 9pm. I believe the shorter train excursions return to port by 1 pm. Trying to figure out both train and drive in the most flexible, cost effective manner. Three if us traveling (3 generations ranging in age from 5 to 70+).

Yes, people have done this. It would be extremely important, however, to make sure your rental pick up time is accurate, and you might also want to call and verify this, or pick up the car prior to the train, if able.

As frequently mentioned, you need about 5 hours for the drive.

If you rent a car from Avis be one of the first ones there when they open the door. 2 years we rented a car from Avis and drove up to Whitehorse, stopping along the way to see the sights. We had a wonderful afternoon in Whitehorse doing the tourist things. Last year I heard they had a mileage limit on rental cars that would only let you go as Far as Emerald Lake.