Decided to Rent a Car in Skagway - tips/advice?

vermonter16

As of a couple of days ago there is 11 km of gravel north of Emerald Lake - being resurfaced in a couple of weeks when it packs. Next week another 11 km will be ripped up straddling the BC/Yukon border. So there will gravel and dust to deal for for a couple of months now. That doesn't affect the "no gravel roads" section of your Avis contract.

Check your car thoroughly before you drive it off the lot. Pay close attention to any dings, however small, in the windshield and report any damage. Avis used to be very diligent about finding and charging for windshield damage.

We have also rented a car to drive to Emerald Lake. Are there places to stop for lunch or rest stops along the way?

Get a guide. I recommend Murray's guide. Very descriptive.

There are several places to eat near Carcross.

Best to accept a free copy of the Skagway News from one of the news kids who are deployed daily on the docks to continue one of the old traditions of Skagway which was to give away free paper to the new arrivals during the gold rush, in hopes that you might subscribe if you decided to stay here!

If you look in the back of this paper, you will find the original ( & much copied) road guide which was written up by the local newsman as he interviewed one of the people who actually helped build the road, as it was being completed in the late seventies. This gets updated frequently and is still an original source

If you happen to miss this on the dock they may still be giving this away at both of the car rental places, as well as the green jeep place, if you merely ask for it when you are picking up you vehicle.

The turnouts are to numerous to list but suffice to say, the bears rarely appear where there is anywhere to really get off of the road, so drive slowly and watch for the only traffic jams in this entire region when one of the furry creatures decides to appear! The one we saw Friday was true to form, on a curve, just north of the suspension bridge, where there is very little shoulder on the road!

It was a nice big, mature male and after a few minutes of rock rolling he crossed the road and disappeared back into the woods. We were the only ones there, and that is also another truism,that we locals seem tho see more of them than the visitors....Maybe we just drive slower!?!

There are a couple of places open in the town of Carcross, including Caribou coffee shop and The Barracks Bakery, where they have soup and sandwiches as well

.There are several places north of the actual city of Carcross which serve food but by the time that all is up and running up there, the most options seem to end up being found, each summer, in the town itself, where you can walk around and choose from a varied selection of places and styles of food.

I have to go back up to Whitehorse this week for a couple of days, so maybe I can update the all important Emerald Lake report when we return!

Murray's Guide was updated yesterday with another update to come at the end of May. Does anyone know if you can get free updates after you purchase? Or should I just wait until right before I leave?

You can order now and he sends the current guide but lets you know to email him a few weeks before you leave and he will email you back the latest updated one available.

Thanks! That's good to know.

I brought along some snacks for us instead of looking for food along the way--things such as dried fruit and granola bars. We also took bottles of water. Having Murray's Guide was great. There was a lot of fog early in the morning as we headed to Emerald Lake. We ended up not stopping as much as I had planned to on the way out and stopped more on the way back. We did not see any bears along the way, but we spotted bear tracks and scat at Emerald Lake.

Best to accept a free copy of the Skagway News...

If you look in the back of this paper, you will find the original ( & much copied) road guide which was written up by the local newsman as he interviewed one of the people who actually helped build the road, as it was being completed in the late seventies. This gets updated frequently and is still an original source!

The guide is online at http://www.skagwaynews.com/AK04highwayguide.html - last updated Spring 2006, Dave. :)