Penthouse Suite - Oceania/Regent

DaisyUK

Hello again, has anybody stayed in both a Regent and Oceania PHS and, if so, are they pretty much comparable? Looking at the 2 websites, it looks to me as if the Regent PHS is bigger than Oceania's, but more dated. Is this correct? Should add that we've stayed in the Regent PHS, but not Oceania.

Edited by DaisyUK

Hi -- we have stayed in both. It depends upon which Regent PHS you are referring to. On the Navigator they are the same as regular suites (356 square feet). On the Voyager they 370 square feet -- only 14 square feet larger than the regular suite but in a square rather than rectangular configuration. The Mariner's PHS is 449 square feet. All measurements include balcony.

In size, Oceania's PHS on the Riviera and Marina are 420 square feet. We thought that the PHS was very well laid out and comfortable. I feel that the PHS on the Mariner and Voyager are comparable. In terms of age, yes, Regent's ships are older but still look great. In fact, the PHS suites on the Voyager and Mariner have been updated yet again. Regent really keeps their ships in tip top condition (as I'm sure Oceania will when the Riviera gets old enough to need updating :) )

Edited by Travelcat2

Are you looking at Marina/Riviera or one of the "R" ships on Oceania?

Room sizes are different between the "O" ships and the "R" ships.

Mura

Thanks for the replies. We stayed on Mariner. The PHS was great, just a little dated so I'm sure the re-fit will have improved it massively. It was well laid out and very comfortable. When we first arrived, I looked at the bathroom and thought 'no way are 2 of us going to be able to manage in there' (remember we hadn't cruised before) but actually it was just fine, with lots of well thought out storage. I had thought that the Riviera PHS was significantly smaller than this, but maybe I am mistaken - which would be great news!

According to the websites

Mariner PH 449 sq ft

Marina/Riveria PH 420 sq ft

So yes Oceania PH are smaller ...

You could always ask to waitlist for one of the larger suites

PH on the O class ships are a different category than the PH on Regent. On Regent, that class of cabin is higher up the food chain. On O, the PH is the entry level suite, not the near the top. A better comparison on the O class versus the Voyager/Mariner class on Regent would be the standard Regent Suite at 300 sq. ft including balcony versus the O PH at 440 sq. ft including balcony.

PH on the O class ships are a different category than the PH on Regent. On Regent, that class of cabin is higher up the food chain. On O, the PH is the entry level suite, not the near the top. A better comparison on the O class versus the Voyager/Mariner class on Regent would be the standard Regent Suite at 300 sq. ft including balcony versus the O PH at 440 sq. ft including balcony.

I'm really trying to understand your post. Assume you are referring to the Riviera and Marina since "O" means Oceania to me. On Regent, there is the PH suite, then Navigator/Mariner/Voyager suite, followed by the Grand Suite and Master Suite. On the Riviera/Marina, when you go above the PH suite, there is the Oceania Suite, Vista Suite and then Owner's Suite. So, using your "food chain" description, doesn't it put the PH suites in the same place?

On Regent, you do not get a butler until you are in a PH suite. The benefits in a PH suite are the same as suites above it -- almost the same as on Oceania (not quite since there is the alcohol issue on Oceania which is not an issue on Regent).

Guess I'm just confused. As stated above, the PH suites on the Mariner are 449 sq. ft. while the PH suites on the Riviera/Marina are 420 sq. ft. So, it appears that the PH suites on both cruise lines are equal (not always in size but in status). However, it should be noted that there are very few benefits to being in an upper suite on Regent (thankfully).

There are no special areas where only Concierge and above passengers have access to. Basically, on the four major luxury cruise lines (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea), everyone is treated the same. The only exception is that Regent guests in "Concierge" suites can book excursions and make dining reservations before non-concierge guests. Also, (and this is new and unfortunate as well), non-concierge guests do not get the pre-cruise night at a hotel included.

For Oceania customers that are only aware of the fact that Regent is all-inclusive, you may be interested to know that this includes a pre-cruise night at a hotel as well as transportation to and from the hotel (for concierge and above guests). On European cruises, guests in PH suites have included Business Class air. I mention this only because this should be considered when looking at the costs of Oceania and Regent.

Lest I be accused of prejudiced (which I clearly am), we absolutely love sailing on the Riviera and will continue to do so (depending upon itinerary) until Regent's new ship is debuted in 2 years. As per our mutual leader, FDR, the Explorer will be the absolute best ship at sea. We are really looking forward to it:)

P.S. Do not want to forget to mention the fact that I am another Regent cruiser who hates included excursions and wish that there were an opt out option.

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm really trying to understand your post. Assume you are referring to the Riviera and Marina since "O" means Oceania to me. On Regent, there is the PH suite, then Navigator/Mariner/Voyager suite, followed by the Grand Suite and Master Suite. On the Riviera/Marina, when you go above the PH suite, there is the Oceania Suite, Vista Suite and then Owner's Suite. So, using your "food chain" description, doesn't it put the PH suites in the same place?

On Regent, you do not get a butler until you are in a PH suite. The benefits in a PH suite are the same as suites above it -- almost the same as on Oceania (not quite since there is the alcohol issue on Oceania which is not an issue on Regent).

Guess I'm just confused. As stated above, the PH suites on the Mariner are 449 sq. ft. while the PH suites on the Riviera/Marina are 420 sq. ft. So, it appears that the PH suites on both cruise lines are equal (not always in size but in status). However, it should be noted that there are very few benefits to being in an upper suite on Regent (thankfully).

There are no special areas where only Concierge and above passengers have access to. Basically, on the four major luxury cruise lines (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea), everyone is treated the same. The only exception is that Regent guests in "Concierge" suites can book excursions and make dining reservations before non-concierge guests. Also, (and this is new and unfortunate as well), non-concierge guests do not get the pre-cruise night at a hotel included.

For Oceania customers that are only aware of the fact that Regent is all-inclusive, you may be interested to know that this includes a pre-cruise night at a hotel as well as transportation to and from the hotel (for concierge and above guests). On European cruises, guests in PH suites have included Business Class air. I mention this only because this should be considered when looking at the costs of Oceania and Regent.

Lest I be accused of prejudiced (which I clearly am), we absolutely love sailing on the Riviera and will continue to do so (depending upon itinerary) until Regent's new ship is debuted in 2 years. As per our mutual leader, FDR, the Explorer will be the absolute best ship at sea. We are really looking forward to it:)

P.S. Do not want to forget to mention the fact that I am another Regent cruiser who hates included excursions and wish that there were an opt out option.

Thank you for this summary, which is exactly what I understand the case to be having read and re-read (ad infinitum) the Oceania brochure and experienced the Regent PHS.

I hope we enjoy our Riviera cruise as much as the Regent; if so, we'll be happy bunnies

Aloha1's post above is flat wrong. We have found the O Class PH3s to be a great value, and would not recommend rooms below them on Oceania.

Regent's entry level suites are clearly superior to Oceania's, even O class, due to

Regent's large walk-in closets. You have to go to PH3 to get those on O ships.

Aloha1's post above is flat wrong. We have found the O Class PH3s to be a great value, and would not recommend rooms below them on Oceania.

Regent's entry level suites are clearly superior to Oceania's, even O class, due to

Regent's large walk-in closets. You have to go to PH3 to get those on O ships.

It sounds to me like Aloha was comparing Suites to Suites, i.e. leaving Oceania's Staterooms out of the equation altogether, and using that logic, Penthouses on Oceania are the least expensive Suite option, and they already have the walk in closets.

084921.jpg

I cannot find fault with Aloha's statement.

It sounds to me like Aloha was comparing Suites to Suites, i.e. leaving Oceania's Staterooms out of the equation altogether, and using that logic, Penthouses on Oceania are the least expensive Suite option, and they already have the walk in closets.

084921.jpg

I cannot find fault with Aloha's statement.

Thanks, and that is exactly what I was (apparently poorly) trying to get at. A PH on Riviera or Marina is a much better deal than Category G thru E suite on Regent or, from a pricing standpoint, less expensive than the PH Regent category.

Edited by Aloha 1

Thanks, and that is exactly what I was (apparently poorly) trying to get at. A PH on Riviera or Marina is a much better deal than Category G thru E suite on Regent or, from a pricing standpoint, less expensive than the PH Regent category.

Okay -- I misunderstood. Although I have not done the math (yet) on Category G through E on Regent vs. a PH on the Riviera, I do know that the cost of these suites on Regent can be quite reasonable - especially if you consider all of inclusive items on Regent (even if you do not use included excursions:-)

I just did a quick glance at 7 and 10 night cruises (Caribbean) in the least expensive Regent Suite and on Oceania in a PH suite. Remember, this was a quick look - not an analysis:

Regent 10 nights -- lowest suite $4,999

Oceania 10 nights - lowest PH suite $4,799

Regent 7 nights - lowest suite - $3,499

Oceania 7 nights - lowest PH suite $3,799

Please understand that I'm not trying to say which is better..... Oceania or Regent. They are very different and both wonderful cruise lines. I am only looking at suite size and cost. The Regent ship that typically sails in the Caribbean is the Navigator. Although the suites have walk-in closets, the lowest category does not have a balcony and the suite is 301 sq. ft. while Oceania's PH suite is 440 sq. ft. including balcony. On the Navigator, it would cost an additional $500 to upgrade to a suite with a balcony (thus adding 55 sq. ft. to the overall size of the suite).

This can be skewed many ways -- I'm give trying to give the most honest comparison that I can (even though it is comparing apples and oranges in my opinion):)

The comments made so far are correct so i will just add my two cents after traveling on both cruise lines. I had expected better service on Regent and did not get it. The butler service on Oceania in a PH suite is well above the service on Regent.

On Oceania the correct comparison is PH class versus a balcony suite on Regent. Oceania has more space.

The food is better and more varied on Oceania except MDR is better on Regent. The ability to order from any restaurant and be served by the butler in PH is great.

If you are a port intensive cruise and want excursions then Regent is the way to go. However you may not know what tour you got until the last minute. On excursions, the best and worse ones I had were on Regent. On Oceania the excursions are a TOTAL ripoff. You can get better or the same tours by working with the locals or your TA. This is especially true for St. Petersburg, most Med ports and Alaska.

On the alcohol issue the free drinks on Regent are great if you are drinking spirits. The free wines are generally stuff that retails for $5-15 in the states. The French champagne is the exception but if you just ask for champagne they will give you some low rate sparking wine. On Oceania i have brought wine on board and paid the corkage, which is a better deal than the inflated wine prices. Also no corkage when you have dinner in your room. The bar drinks are priced consistently with other lines.

Activities are better on Oceania due to the larger size. The entertainment is the same since they both use the same entertainment company.

In summary I like Oceania better and I have been able to get better deals from TAs on Oceania than on Regent.

The comments made so far are correct so i will just add my two cents after traveling on both cruise lines. I had expected better service on Regent and did not get it. The butler service on Oceania in a PH suite is well above the service on Regent.

On Oceania the correct comparison is PH class versus a balcony suite on Regent. Oceania has more space.

The food is better and more varied on Oceania except MDR is better on Regent. The ability to order from any restaurant and be served by the butler in PH is great.

If you are a port intensive cruise and want excursions then Regent is the way to go. However you may not know what tour you got until the last minute. On excursions, the best and worse ones I had were on Regent. On Oceania the excursions are a TOTAL ripoff. You can get better or the same tours by working with the locals or your TA. This is especially true for St. Petersburg, most Med ports and Alaska.

On the alcohol issue the free drinks on Regent are great if you are drinking spirits. The free wines are generally stuff that retails for $5-15 in the states. The French champagne is the exception but if you just ask for champagne they will give you some low rate sparking wine. On Oceania i have brought wine on board and paid the corkage, which is a better deal than the inflated wine prices. Also no corkage when you have dinner in your room. The bar drinks are priced consistently with other lines.

Activities are better on Oceania due to the larger size. The entertainment is the same since they both use the same entertainment company.

In summary I like Oceania better and I have been able to get better deals from TAs on Oceania than on Regent.

Fair comparison. My only question is about tours. Why would you not know what tour you will get until the last minute? The only reason I can think of is that when you tried booking online, the excursions were full and the waitlist didn't clear so you were waiting to see if someone didn't show up. Other than waitlists, the excursion tickets were in our suite when we boarded.

As you know, food is subjective however I agree with you regarding the MDR being better on Regent and specialty restaurants being better on Oceania. Where we disagree is in Terrace Café. Although they offered about twice the variety that is offered in La Veranda on Regent, we found the quality a bit less and some items (such as pasta with Bolognese sauce) try to avoid Terrace Café. Perhaps we will use room service or something. In terms of service, we found them equal.

Edited by Travelcat2