Chicken in the Steak House...Lol!

I think it would be safe to say that anything served in the Steakhouse is 'worth it'. I've read that even though it's not on the menu, they do offer vegetarian dishes as well. In fact the chefs probably appreciate a divergence from the monotony of cooking NY Strips and Ribeyes all night long.

You're not just paying for the steak, but all the good sides and desserts and the experience in general.

The chicken was featured entree at the cooking demonstration we attended on the Liberty a couple years ago and was outstanding! I would have no reservations about ordering it if it weren't for the ribeye!

I think it would be safe to say that anything served in the Steakhouse is 'worth it'. I've read that even though it's not on the menu, they do offer vegetarian dishes as well. In fact the chefs probably appreciate a divergence from the monotony of cooking NY Strips and Ribeyes all night long.

You're not just paying for the steak, but all the good sides and desserts and the experience in general.

Actually, you're only paying for the entree and gratuity. Appetizers and deserts are complimentary and unlimited. If arranged in advance through the MDR Maître D', you can even have them served in the dining room. On some other cruise lines, the entrees in the steakhouse are unlimited as well.

The chicken was featured entree at the cooking demonstration we attended on the Liberty a couple years ago and was outstanding! I would have no reservations about ordering it if it weren't for the ribeye!

You know what? I went to the cooking demonstration in 2012 on the Freedom. This was the sample I got. I wonder if that chicken is the same one as the one they have on the menu?

543508_10150959935819721_2066213719_n.jpg

Actually, you're only paying for the entree and gratuity. Appetizers and deserts are complimentary and unlimited. If arranged in advance through the MDR Maître D', you can even have them served in the dining room. On some other cruise lines, the entrees in the steakhouse are unlimited as well.

This is true. The only thing missing is that it also an upgrade surcharge to the meal you've already paid for in the MDR.

But there's no chicken dish worth that upcharge, nor would I buy lobster ravioli at $10+ per ravioli.

If you like fish - the fish in the steakhouse is wonderful. It will melt in your mouth. I've ordered it the last few times we have eaten in the steakhouse. Some of my family said it was better than the lobster.

I say go. It's not like only the steak will be good. You're paying additional for personalized service, the atmosphere, the sides, desserts, etc. If you like chicken you'll probably like what they serve. I wouldn't sweat it.

Wow, that's great news, thanks for that info. One of the things we loved in the steakhouse was the beef carpaccio. Both me and my girlfriend have had weight loss surgery and can't eat any large amount of food in one sitting, so the steakhouse wouldn't make sense (we'd be full after the appetizers!)- but it was making me kind of sad that I wouldn't be able to try the carpaccio again, and that's certainly not worth $35 on its own.

My DH loves red meat, but I don't eat red meat. He's never experienced the Steak House and I feel like I'm holding him back. Has anyone ever tried the chicken they offer at the Steak House? Would it be worth the $35 for me?

Im glad you asked this, I am curious to know this as well.

I have eaten beef all my life, but a couple of years ago, I found that every time I ate it, I did not feel well after. So I gave eating it. Recently, I dared to eat it again and now I find that I can eat it in very small amounts without a problem, but I would never order it in the Steakhouse, as it would be too much.

I also dont eat veal, lamb or duck, but chicken or seafood will work well for me.

Where I live seafood costs as much if not more than beef, so it would be ok with me at the steakhouse.

Since I only get to cruise once every few years, I have decided to treat myself to some extras, ie; an OV cabin, Fttf, and a dinner at the steakhouse.:)

I have a feeling that the chicken dish would be very good there though. I do often find that in restaurants, I enjoy the soups or salad and desserts just as much and sometimes more than the main couse.

Edited by SMSACE6

Im glad you asked this, I am curious to know this as well.

I have eaten beef all my life, but a couple of years ago, I found that every time I ate it, I did not feel well after. So I gave eating it. Recently, I dared to eat it again and now I find that I can eat it in very small amounts without a problem, but I would never order it in the Steakhouse, as it would be too much.

I also dont eat veal, lamb or duck, but chicken or seafood will work well for me.

Where I live seafood costs as much if not more than beef, so it would be ok with me at the steakhouse.

Since I only get to cruise once every few years, I have decided to treat myself to some extras, ie; an OV cabin, Fttf, and a dinner at the steakhouse.:)

I have a feeling that the chicken dish would be very good there though. I do often find that in restaurants, I enjoy the soups or salad and desserts just as much and sometimes more than the main couse.

Very true! That chocolate sampler looks amazing!

Respectfully, wouldn't it be worth the $35 to be guilt free about your hubby not getting to experience something that he really wants to try? I'm a penny pincher myself, but when money interferes with enjoyment, I'm willing to pay for it. Maybe make it a surprise for him and not tell him until you are ready to get dressed up. From all the reviews, I'm sure you'd find something great. That picture you uploaded looks amazing though!!!

A large group of us went to the Glory Steakhouse for Thanksgiving dinner. My nephew is Vegan. I just notified them in advance, then again the day we got on board. The chef made him the most amazing looking and tasting meal. He even came out to explain ever ingredient he used! Just plan in advance.

Definitely go to the steakhouse and order what you will enjoy. Not everyone likes beef and that is why even the best steakhouses have other choices besides beef. I heard the chicken dish is excellent and well worth it. I am sure your husand would love going to the steakhouse with you and even happier that you order what you like.

Do enjoy the steakhouse and your overall cruise!:cool:

I've had the chicken dish during a cooking demonstration on the Magic and it was to die for. I might also suggest as others do that there are other options on the menu besides the main course which are absolutely delicious. I say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

By all means go to the steak house. We have gone on our last couple cruises and loved it. Each time we were with larger groups and several people did not eat red meat. Last summer two of our group ordered the Lobster Ravioli and said it was to die for, same with a fish entre'. I do not think anyone ordered chicken, however based on my experiences with the Steakhouse, I'll bet it is incredible.

Lastly, the appetizers, atmosphere, extra attentive service, dessert, etc, etc, all make it well worth the money. Ten of us are leaving 6-1-14 on a cruise on the Freedom and the Steakhouse is one of the things I am lookING forward to the most.

GO AND ENJOY. :):)

Respectfully, wouldn't it be worth the $35 to be guilt free about your hubby not getting to experience something that he really wants to try? I'm a penny pincher myself, but when money interferes with enjoyment, I'm willing to pay for it. Maybe make it a surprise for him and not tell him until you are ready to get dressed up. From all the reviews, I'm sure you'd find something great. That picture you uploaded looks amazing though!!!

I wholeheartedly agree! I have brought this up to DH in the past and HE was the one hemming and hawing and asking if it would be worth it since I don't eat red meat. I want to do it to make him happy!