sofa bed comfort question

SALMARK

I need help from all you knowledgeable CC members. We are trying to decide between cabins and the question is about the sofa bed for 2 in what I believe is now the Neptune Suite (Deluxe Verandah Suite) on the Amsterdam. How comfortable or not are they? Can 2 adults sleep on one? Thanks in advance for all your help.

It's about the size of a queen sleeper sofa or a full size bed. It really depends on the size of the people and how much-loved space they need.

The Neptune Suites do have a sofa bed that sleeps 2 -- about the size of a queen bed.

It opens out directly in front of the verandah doors. Makes is hard to go out on the verandah -- small passage in other words.

Are you 4 adults? Id so, JMO -- bathroom is small.

Thanks to all who are answering my question. We are taking our grandkids - 17 yr old boy and 13 yr old girl - who love HAL. Usually their parents go also but not this time. Thought about 2 connecting (at least on balconies) verandahs but one Neptune is $1500 cheaper. So we would have the 2 single beds and the sofa bed. I figured either my GD and myself or me and my DH on the sofa. One response does lead to another question. Recently we were on the Amsterdam with our GS in a verandah suite. Once the stewards made the sofa into a bed and they never put it back. Is this typical? Let me say that although they were not terrible this was the first time I did not tip the cabin stewards extra. So I do not know if once a bed always a bed or they were just lazy.

No, I never asked them but then I hardly saw them. It was an inconvenience but not unworkable. It really did not take up room just left us with no couch to sit on. I tend not to ask the cabin stewards to do extra things cause I know how hard they work. So as I result I do not know if this is standard (leaving the bed out) or not. While it did not matter in the verendah, it would in the Neptune Suite.

My sister used the fold out couch on the NA in 2012.

It was ok for one but the angle was downwards from the head to the foot of the bed.

No way I can see 2 comfortably sleeping in it.

We asked the cabin attendant to make it up into a couch every day- no problem. At night he made it into a bed.

Would I put 2 a teenager girl and and a boy in it? Ahhh no.

Your sofa bed can be converted back to couch every morning -- just ask. I think it is big enough and comfortable enough for two. It might not be as great as the regular bed but it works out okay. By booking the neptune suite rather than two verandas, you get great perks. But, the two bathrooms in the two verandas can be an advantage.

I've slept on the sofa bed on the Rotterdam, while in a Neptune suite, and will do so again on the Statendam. Had good sleeps( I don't sleep well under the best conditions) and the bed became a couch miraculously every morning upon our return from the Pinnacle Grill breakfast . If bathroom duty is a problem, then buy a couple 's thermal spa pass, and use the facilities there. A great excuse to pamper in the spa setting....maybe Nanna and GD would give the ultimate sacrifice, and let the gents have the stateroom bath,

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always book a Neptune for the 4 of us. We are a family of 4 that has been cruising since our children were young. The girls have gotten used to sharing the sofa bed. While it's not like having your own bed at home they realize they are on a cruise ship for 7 or 10 nights and then it doesn't seem to bother them. We have the steward make up the bed back into the sofa for the day so we have the space in the cabin for everyone to sit.

It's always worked for us and my girls are now their 20's and we just cruised with them in January. If your expectations are reasonable it is a great way to have the perks of the neptune without two cabins.

My 13 year old had to sleep on one and it was horrible. Different cruise line, maybe better now, but if you can find a room with pull mans, they are the best.

Thanks to all who replied. You have been a big help in the decision making. I think we will go with the suite as someone mentioned the perks are great. My grandson who spent most of his first cruise at age 12 trying to figure out how to never leave the ship and just cruise forever will love the Neptune Lounge. We will figure out a bathroom system - can always use the shower in the spa area if absolutely necessary. Thanks again - you all have been great.

Thanks to all who replied. You have been a big help in the decision making. I think we will go with the suite as someone mentioned the perks are great. My grandson who spent most of his first cruise at age 12 trying to figure out how to never leave the ship and just cruise forever will love the Neptune Lounge. We will figure out a bathroom system - can always use the shower in the spa area if absolutely necessary. Thanks again - you all have been great.

Personally I think you made a great decision! I would have made the same one. Your grandkids will enjoy the perks of their accommodations - and be spoiled. Enjoy your cruise.

We sailed on the Amsterdam in 2012. My husband, two teenagers and myself enjoyed a Neptune Suite. My teenage daughter slept on the sofa but the room steward had made it up like a twin bed. She had plenty of room. My son slept on a roll-away cot. He is good sized and he thought it was big enough and comfortable. Each morning the room stewards made up the sofa and cot and rolled the cot into a corner of the room. It worked well for us. Have a great trip.

P.S. What I mean by "made up" the next morning is that the sofa looked like a regular sofa for day use and the cot was folded and put out of the way.

Edited by Susygirl