New Chops Menu going fleet wide

Thanks I wasn't sure I was used to Disney which you can order whatever you want in the upcharge restaurant on their ship. For example in Palo I paid $20/pp and my wife and I both got steaks and our waiter insisted we split some pasta as well so they brought us a third dish. Then he came back and asked if we wanted another dish but we were way too full.

I just didn't know what to expect. For me I put about $15 dollars value in the MDR meal. So if RCCI is going to charge me another $35 over what I would have spent for the main MDR food that would put me at $50/pp for Chops. I could get a better steak in a restaurant here for cheaper with all the goodies. $100 for a couple is a lot to live up to in my mind and that isn't including the higher end choices.

so cover charge is $35 to get in, and if you choose a dry aged New York you are paying another $18? Really?

If I'm understanding this correctly, for a surf n' turf extravaganza including the porterhouse and lobster tail (something we would certainly consider ordering at a good steak house at home), the fee would be $75.00. If you then go with ummgood's theory and add in the value of the $15.00 MDR meal you're not eating, that's $95.00 PER PERSON. :eek: Are ya kiddin' me?!?

There's nothing on the regular menu that even justifies the $35.00, let alone the "surcharges". I'm a little sorry as we have really enjoyed specialty dining on many cruise lines but none of them came anywhere close to being this ridiculously over-priced. No Chops for us now I guess.

Edited by ronandannette

• 4 weeks later...

Just sailed Allure.

I hated Chops new menu.

The bread was a burnt pretzel bread. Horrible.

The great things that they had in the past - gone. What? Halibut - great pieces of steak.

My filet was not great. It was not only overcooked but not a great piece of meat.

I had Chops booked 3 nights - after the 1st night - i canceled the other 2.

I will not go back. Not worth the fee.

The quality lacks.

Just sailed Allure.

I hated Chops new menu.

The bread was a burnt pretzel bread. Horrible.

The great things that they had in the past - gone. What? Halibut - great pieces of steak.

My filet was not great. It was not only overcooked but not a great piece of meat.

I had Chops booked 3 nights - after the 1st night - i canceled the other 2.

I will not go back. Not worth the fee.

The quality lacks.

I agree. The filet at Giovanni's is just as good and everything else is better. I think we have had our last meal at Chops.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

We just went to Chops twice on our Vision cruise a couple weeks ago. The first time we had the filet, there are only two steaks to choose from now without paying the upcharge...on top of the upcharge....the steak was not prepared poorly it simply had no flavor...none. If you did not add the sauce they came around with it literally would qualify as the most tasteless steak I have ever eaten. We tried nearly all the side dishes in the two visits. They were all tasty, even the "tator tot", and truthfully that is about what they were. We tried Giovannis and liked the menu much better and the food had some flavor. My husband gave the steak another go on our second visit and I tried the fish. I could not eat it. It had the skin still on it and it was tough. The waiter offered to bring me a steak but I filled up on the other side dishes so I was fine. For the money we will not be going back on the upcoming Allure trip in November. We will try something else. The main reason we went twice was we took advantage of the three meal discount and the food in the MDR was nearly inedible. I hate to stop cruising but the food has gotten so awful I do not know if I am willing to keep paying for a nice vacation where I cannot eat the food. We will see how it goes on the next cruise in November.:(

I agree with your assessment. However, what is really odd is in our pre cruise planner on Royal's web site for two of our upcoming cruses there is a sample menu for each of the specialty restaurants, including Chops. The menu shown is the "old" Chops menu, not the new one.

I'm hopping Royal got the message that, as a high level Royal manager told us on a very recent sailing, that they have been getting a lot of complaints about the "new" Chops menu.

I can only hope.