New Chops Menu going fleet wide

Tater tots are a staple of "what do we feed the kids when we don't feel like cooking?"

It is a frozen potato concoction.

Potatoes are chemically peeled, chopped up, mixed with a little cooking oil, reformed into small log shapes, rolled in crumbs, and deep fat fried. Then they are frozen and put into plastic bags and sold in the freezer section of your nearby supermarket.

You take them home and reheat them in your oven.

:rolleyes: :eek:

by+WTB+06DSCN6112.JPG

39587548.tatertotslarge.jpg

OMG, seriously thanks for the clarification. What a rubbish side order to offer for a so called "upscale' speciality dining experience. As well as the sizes of the filet mignon being reduced, what other cost cutting measures can RCI try whilst increasing the cover charge? Garbage comes to mind. Edited by peteukmcr

Since there is no open flame cooking the steaks can't really be grilled. Nothing else cooks a steak as well as open flame grilling, even flame broiling can't be done. No matter what else they do it can't make it very good on a ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They used to be quite good. We loved the way the filets were cooked on Enchantment in March ( and many others before) but with the new Chops menu they are doing something different. Too much searing.

Edited by ARCruisinNana

Tater tots are a staple of "what do we feed the kids when we don't feel like cooking?"

Potatoes are chemically peeled, chopped up, mixed with a little cooking oil, reformed into small log shapes, rolled in crumbs, and deep fat fried. Then they are frozen and put into plastic bags and sold in the freezer section of your nearby supermarket.

by+WTB+06DSCN6112.JPG

I don't think the Tater Tots in Chops are the same as the ones described above. I saw on another thread is that they are a large potato cheese mixture that has some kind of outside crust (maybe more cheese) that may be baked (or possibly fried).

It's anything but that simple. Pork belly is a larger portion then bacon itself. While they are similar they are not the same. And here in the US bacon is bacon pork belly is pork belly. 2 different products and packages. I know this because I cool them both often.

Oh my good lord lol. Maybe I can simplify it further for you. Pork belly is to bacon as broccoli is to broccoli florets. If you take pork belly, smoke it, then thinly slice it what do you have?? BACON!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

by+WTB+06DSCN6112.JPG

I hope you are kidding. I have posted pictures of the tater tots in Chops and this is not what they are serving. The new Chops menu is a refreshing change. The only mistake they made was in the naming of the new potato dish. It has nothing to do with Ore Ida and they are nothing like those elementary school potatoes.

OMG, seriously thanks for the clarification. What a rubbish side order to offer for a so called "upscale' speciality dining experience. As well as the sizes of the filet mignon being reduced, what other cost cutting measures can RCI try whilst increasing the cover charge? Garbage comes to mind.

This is a perfect example of why you shouldn't believe all you read on cruise critic. Merion mom is totally wrong about the tater tots. That is not what is being served in Chops. I've eaten there off the new menu twice and the good was excellent and better than ever. There is nothing served that is made by Ore Ida or even remotely close.

This is a perfect example of why you shouldn't believe all you read on cruise critic. Merion mom is totally wrong about the tater tots. That is not what is being served in Chops. I've eaten there off the new menu twice and the good was excellent and better than ever. There is nothing served that is made by Ore Ida or even remotely close.

thanks gina.

They goofed on the naming for sure now that I've seen the actual product served. The potato dish in mommabeans pic a few pages back is nowhere near the frozen version posted above IMO.

I actually like the tater tots Merion Mom posted though. They serve a version of them for breakfast in the windjammer as I remember. I like them with burgers sometimes as well. A change from fries.

Don't believe she was saying they served Ora Ida in Chops.

Right. She was answering a question about what is a Tator Tot. She very effectively answered the question. I agree that the Chops dish should not be labeled as a Tator tot, just as the "bacon" appetizer should not be labeled as bacon;).

Edited by ARCruisinNana

so cover charge is $35 to get in, and if you choose a dry aged New York you are paying another $18? Really?

Just got back from Oasis on July 12. Royal is now charging more for fewer options, smaller portions, and an extra $18.00 to $20.00 if you want a "really good steak". Experience at an Outback Steak House is better and I can get tater tots at my neighborhood dinner. Although the tater tots are larger than the ones you can buy at the supermarket, they taste about the same. Service has also gone down hill.

The Royal bean counters have ruined the Chops experience. We will not spend our money until they improve it.

They goofed on the naming for sure now that I've seen the actual product served. The potato dish in mommabeans pic a few pages back is nowhere near the frozen version posted above IMO.

I actually like the tater tots Merion Mom posted though. They serve a version of them for breakfast in the windjammer as I remember. I like them with burgers sometimes as well. A change from fries.

You are correct.

The Chops tater tots neither look like or taste like Ore Ida tater tots.

I also loved the Ore Ida brand and ate them as often as I could get them as a child. I'll still sneak one in once in a while because I like them. :)

There is no similarity between the two kinds, other than the name.

Right. She was answering a question about what is a Tator Tot. She very effectively answered the question. I agree that the Chops dish should not be labeled as a Tator tot, just as the "bacon" appetizer should not be labeled as bacon;).

Actually the answer was very misleading.

The bacon appetizer is a big thick juicy meaty piece of bacon. It you go to the UK or Ireland and order bacon, you'll get something much farther from what we know as bacon.

In fact, my sister and I can make bacon from the same package and it will come out in two totally different ways. Hers will be warmed up and rubbery. Mine will be crunchy the way bacon is supposed to be. ;)

Yes, unfortunately.

guess we just saved some money, lol...we did pay that amount to eat on the Carnival Breeze steakhouse and the New York was pretty good. Not sure if it was dry aged, but my guess is no. Just can't justify why I have to pay extra unless it is wagu or some kind of premium meat.

In 2005, on the Enchantment, we first experienced Chops the total cost for two was $40,

The experience then was exactly like a fine steak house on land.

Now in 2014, the cost for two is $70. Or it could be $106, if you want the better quality steak, this past December, our experience in Chops was closer to Outback or one of the other chains, and will more then likely be our last visit to Chops.

Edited by Mac303

• 1 month later...
Let's see if I can get this menu to come through clearly...fingers crossed.

The first page is black so keep scrolling.

Thank you. Then I did have the new menu a few weeks ago. I found the addition of the dry aged steaks to the menu to be interesting. I was expecting a high pressure sales pitch on those, but the server seemed pretty nonchalent about. She went through the menu, but that's about it. That was refreshing considering you experience aggressive sales tactic throughout the cruise in other venues.