New Chops Menu going fleet wide

I will be on the Navigator in September, and am traveling with a friend who enjoys trying all the specialty restaurants....as do I. We've enjoyed Chops in the past, but I'm not too excited about the new menu. I normally order the filet, so I'm happy that at least it is still available...at no additional charge. :rolleyes:

I am going to try the new menu with an open mind, and will report back what our experience/opinions are. Hopefully, they will have made some improvements by the time we are there....I don't expect changes to the menu, but perhaps some of the preparation issues can be addressed. We will see....

Definitely looking forward to trying Sabor! I actually strategically reserved our night at Sabor early in the cruise, so that we can switch from Chops to it for a second night if it looks like we will enjoy it more. ;)

Ruth

It's a brand. My guess is that "Tater Tots" is a register name, and that they are indeed Ore Ida. Maybe just a more upscale version. Had they called them Panko crusted gruyere potatoes," it would have gone over better, I think.:rolleyes:

This is how they are described on the menu...if I remember correctly, the waiter did a good job of describing them. He also recommended them. Otherwise, we would never have ordered the "tots". I much prefer something like this to a baked potato but I imagine I am in the minority.

Gruyère Cheese Tater Tots

I have to say reading this thread really disappoints me! Chops is something that I've always heard great things about! honestly I was really looking forward to it on my first time on RCL :( I'm on Navigator so I'm sure I'll have the new menu :( I hope they change it because it's something I really want to experience! I don't sail until next year so here's to hoping the menu changes!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm also super disappointed by the reviews I've found in this thread. My boyfriend and I will be cruising on the Vision in January, it's his first Royal Caribbean cruise. He LOVES a good steak, and a night at Chops was going to be my anniversary present to him. I'm not normally a picky person, but I can't justify paying $35 for the choice of filet or strip... What kind of a steakhouse is that? Looks like we will be taking ourselves to Giovanni's instead or just skipping specialties all together.

It just seems like they have been cutting corners lately and charging more for less. Bummer.

I don't *think* they are frozen steaks, and the beef quality seemed to be good, but I don't remember being impressed last year either.

One reason is how they are prepared - I don't think they use a hot enough broiler (unless something has changed they aren't pan-grilled). Maybe - and this is just pure speculation - all the renewed attention the past few years on safety has changed what equipment they can use in the kitchen.

It was hard for me to tell but as I remember it didn't seem like the cut of beef itself was the problem, it was how it was cooked/prepared. If you have a premium cut of beef and you broil it for the right amount of time at 1800 degrees it is pretty hard to screw up. However 1800 degree broilers require a lot of training and aren't all that common, which is why a good steakhouse always has an advantage over what you can do at home.

My guess would be they are broiling them at a lower temp for longer, which would seem to explain the flavor. Like I said, I don't have any inside knowledge, but I do know if you are expecting something like even a midscale specialty steakhouse - like a Ruth Chris, or Flemings, or Mortons - you aren't going to be happy. It's not bad steak, it's just not at that level.

We have eaten at Chops every cruise and decided on our last cruise that we wouldn't be returning. For us it is just not worth the $30 pp. We will probably visit Giovanni's Table twice from now on. I don't eat meat and the salmon that they offer is marginally appealing. DH has been less than impressed with the steaks the past few visits. Not a biggie for us...plenty of other restaurants to visit!

We are just back from Radiance and eating at Chops the first week (June 13) they implemented the new menu. I was sick of the old menu and consider this a major improvement. The old most favorite items are still available including a baked potato.

Here is my tuna (and tater tots) which was fabulous.

DSC07748.jpg

Tater tots and some other things which may be too dark to see. I don't eat mushrooms but the guys thought they were tasty. These are not your Ore Ida tater tots served in most American elementary schools since I was a kid.

DSC07749.jpg

Here is the inside of a tater tot. Notice the stretching bits of cheese.

DSC07752.jpg

This bacon tastes really great. It looks a little funnier and thicker than the one I had the first night. This was the last night. Yes, we ate there twice. The first night they didn't have the proper serving dishes or bread ready yet.

DSC07745.jpg

The huckleberry cheesecake was delicious.

DSC07755.jpg

My husband always likes the carpaccio.

DSC07746.jpg

Food from the first night in Chops - the day they started the new menu.

Prettier bacon - the one that hooked me. I won't go to Chops without getting this no matter what else I order.

DSC07223.jpg

My Petit Filet, before I decided to be more daring and try something new the next time.

DSC07224.jpg

The plated tater tots before they had the new little crocks to serve them in.

DSC07226.jpg

The new cookies for dessert. I have no idea what they taste like but they look good to me.

DSC07234.jpg

Food from the first night in Chops - the day they started the new menu.

Prettier bacon - the one that hooked me. I won't go to Chops without getting this no matter what else I order.

DSC07223.jpg

My Petit Filet, before I decided to be more daring and try something new the next time.

DSC07224.jpg

The plated tater tots before they had the new little crocks to serve them in.

DSC07226.jpg

The new cookies for dessert. I have no idea what they taste like but they look good to me.

DSC07234.jpg

Thank you for posting these and the menu!

It all looks good right now and I can't wait to try it. One question, what is the little sauce they serve with the tator tots?

Thank you for posting these and the menu!

It all looks good right now and I can't wait to try it. One question, what is the little sauce they serve with the tator tots?

If I am remembering correctly it was a horseradish sauce.

"The dry aging process can only be found in select steakhouses worldwide, and now, as a cruise industry first, right here at Royal Caribbeans Chops Grille"

Im pretty sure Carnival has been serviing USDA PRIME dry aged steaks in their signature steakhouse for years now? :confused: And those are included in the standard 35.00 pp.

I still cant believe they no longer offer a ribeye. With that said, the food pics look wonderful.

Edited by ryano

We are just back from Radiance and eating at Chops the first week (June 13) they implemented the new menu. I was sick of the old menu and consider this a major improvement. The old most favorite items are still available including a baked potato.

The food looks pretty good.

They may have a better response if they don't present it as a steak house. Peoples' expectations may be coloring their experience.

Gina, did anyone n your party try the extra cost aged steaks?

My husband had the New York strip. It was very tasty. I had a bite. He had a positive experience with it in Oasis which is why he ordered it again. We had used the BOGO coupon so we only had one cover charge anyway.

We've gotten over trying to see how little we can spend on board and have decided to contribute to on board revenue lately. ;)

And contribute, we did!

I have to repeat just how much I loved my tuna. I'd get it again. Even nice steakhouses on land serve seafood.

I don't know if the menu has been posted. I looked but couldn't find it.

DSC07753.jpg

DSC07754.jpg

To clarify, this looks like the old menu to me (as it still has the crab cakes, and doesn't show the tater tots - among the other well discussed changes)...is that the case? :confused:

Is so, do you have pictures of the new menu as well? :D

:)

My husband had the New York strip. It was very tasty. I had a bite. He had a positive experience with it in Oasis which is why he ordered it again. We had used the BOGO coupon so we only had one cover charge anyway.

We've gotten over trying to see how little we can spend on board and have decided to contribute to on board revenue lately. ;)

And contribute, we did!

I have to repeat just how much I loved my tuna. I'd get it again. Even nice steakhouses on land serve seafood.

That sounds like a good idea, use the BOGO coupon and take some of the money saved to use on an aged steak. :)

I agree, but the cover charge at Chops, from what I'm reading, now only covers the filet and the strip steak. I think people expect more of a selection of steaks with the cover charge.

To clarify, this looks like the old menu to me (as it still has the crab cakes, and doesn't show the tater tots - among the other well discussed changes)...is that the case? :confused:

Is so, do you have pictures of the new menu as well? :D

:)

Tater tots are listed at the bottom under sides.