New Chops Menu going fleet wide

Oh good they look fuzzy to you, too. I thought I'd had too much to drink!

I added the PDF in post #21 since my original post was blurry :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

2 size filets, 2 size NY strips. This is not a steakhouse

Seriously. I'm not very picky about food, and we had fully expected to try Chops on our first RCI cruise next May. We LOVE a good steakhouse. But looking at this menu I'm not so sure. No ribeye? For real? :confused:

We'll probably wait until we're onboard and see if they are offering discounts.

Edited by BamaGuy44

I pre-reserved Chops for my upcoming cruise at $30pp. If it goes up to $35 prior to boarding, how is that handled? Will I be charged an extra $5pp on my SeaPass?

No you won't be charged extra.

I pre-reserved Chops for my upcoming cruise at $30pp. If it goes up to $35 prior to boarding, how is that handled? Will I be charged an extra $5pp on my SeaPass?

No, you are locked in the amount you prepaid.

DO however be sure to check the billing on the final statement delivered to your room on the last night.

Chimichurrri sauce gone? What about the other sauces?

The only ones listed on the new menu are a "steak sauce," bearnaise, bourdelaise and au poivre (I probably mangled those spellings). I know last week there was a Cabernet sauce, which seems to be gone from the new menu as well.

Edited by Ramblin' Ma'am

My wife is really going to miss those Lamb Chops! That is what she usually orders. I always get the filet, so it's not going to really different for me! They should have brought over the Seafood Skewer that they had in Portifino since they are closing Portifino on ships that have them.

I didn't see deserts on the PDF menu. I wonder if they are still going to have Red Velvet Cake????

My wife is really going to miss those Lamb Chops! That is what she usually orders. I always get the filet, so it's not going to really different for me! They should have brought over the Seafood Skewer that they had in Portifino since they are closing Portifino on ships that have them.

I didn't see deserts on the PDF menu. I wonder if they are still going to have Red Velvet Cake????

I hadn't even noticed that. I also just noticed that the crab cake is gone too. Also something I got every time I went. That seals it for me.

So what cut of steaks are the included steaks? Are they choice or prime?

And does anyone have a picture of the Navigator Chops Grille now that there are no tablecloths? Curious what it looks like.

If you've pre-booked a dinner, but then notice they are offering deals on board (20% off or something), can you cancel your pre-booked time and reschedule getting the discount--with the time availability they have on board?

So what cut of steaks are the included steaks? Are they choice or prime?

And does anyone have a picture of the Navigator Chops Grille now that there are no tablecloths? Curious what it looks like.

deleted

Edited by bigque

Lamb Chops are offered on the Giovanni's Table dinner menu and are excellent along with everything else.

Want to correct earlier information. While I had seen a $35 price on the automated screen on Vision, I now checked Cruise Compass and they had left old menu Chops pricing at $30.

Vision had both Giovanni's and Chop's open for lunch on sea days, with no opening on embarkation day. They said that each ship has now been given approval for variation of pricing and opening hours by sailing and season. They stated the shipboard team has been given more pricing and opening autonomy. Not sure how will be handled fleet-wide.

Both had $5 discount at lunchtime, while Giovanni's had separate lunch menu, Chops had same menu.

Vision Izumi was only opening for a 'Izumi Experience' sushi class with meal included for $25. They did sushi demonstration and class sign-up on earlier sea day.

If you've pre-booked a dinner, but then notice they are offering deals on board (20% off or something), can you cancel your pre-booked time and reschedule getting the discount--with the time availability they have on board?

I was price guaranteed on Oasis last year. They offered Chef's Table package for $120 onboard with a bonus Giovanni's lunch on embarkation day only. They matched the price reduction and gave me the free lunch. Not sure if this would be handled constantly.

I know photo packages are price guaranteed as well, so it would seem to be policy across the board that if a lower offer is offered onboard than in advance that they would match it.

Cancellations only have to be made 24 hours in advance of booked time for refund, I believe.

This is a quick look at just parts of our March dinner experience at Chops onboard Independence of the Seas - all the food was fantastic! Heck...now I'm hungry again... :D

This first photo is of my Crab Cake appetizer:

032414_Chops_Dinner_3_Crab_Shrimp_Cake_Appetizer.jpg

This next one is the Shrimp COcktail appetizer my wife ordered:

032414_Chops_Dinner_4_Shrimp_Cocktail_Appetizer_2.jpg

Finally...here is my perfectly done large Filet:

032414_Chops_Dinner_6_9_oz_Filet_Dinner.jpg

We are headed out on the allure Sunday! I wonder which menu we are getting...do they serve sides per person or is it like in Giovannis? We've never actually been to chops before so we won't be letdown in comparing the before and after. I'm just thrilled to be going!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailing now on Indy. I have eaten at Chops 3 times. Price is still $30. Red velvet cake and chocolate mud pie are still on the menu BUT are now made in house. Chocolate mud pie used to be my favorite, but did not like in house version. Red velvet cake was good when it had the chocolate layers in it. Not good without. Had on version on Saturday and the other on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had the new menu on Navigator. Price went up to $35 and yet some of our faves were gone, especially the crab cakes and the green beans. I know green beans sound boring but theirs were always cooked perfectly and the butter sauce was great. Just seemed to be fewer choices on the new menu.

Next cruise up is Jewel and luckily it is before August so we get the old Chops menu and price. We will be eating there 2-3 times that week so I will have my share of crab cakes!

OK I am going to go on a bit of a rant here. We love RCL for family cruises. Diamond level.

I've also been a chef/food and bev guy, then was a stock broker.

That "new and improved" Chops menu is REALLY flat. Increased up charge for less offerings, totally agreed that two steaks on a steak house menu is too few. Add lamb, or a porter house, or both! Do you think I'm going to pay a 35 buck up charge for a dolled up burger...c'mon guys! Off topic, but somewhat related, RCI is rolling out an "exclusive" cabana offering (on some ships, it may be just a trial)where the suite sun deck was. It's a clam shell (not a cabana, mind you, but a clam shell) with some drinks and other amenities to justify a big up charge (somebody said $200/day!)

I'm thankful the BOHO sale came around, it saved me a big sum on our cruise next year (but the skeptic in me says RCI wants to book the revenues now via cruise deposits). But, I think about all the lost revenue RCI will incur from that, all the cut backs, and additional charges for IMHO less substantial offerings, makes me wonder about the RCI product, and strategy. As each class of ship has been introduced, I've been anxious to try it out, and have loved each new offering. I have no desire to try Quantum. No desire to take a tropical cruise out of the NYC area with iffy weather a lot of sea days.

Putting on the stock broker hat, I am confused.

Sometimes I just don't understand RCCL changes like this. Has anyone else noticed the Filets are also smaller for that extra money. Halibut replaced with Snapper, please. It appears that some of the things I enjoyed are gone and to be honest even at $30 on the old menu I thought prices were getting out of hand. Seriously I can get a filet and a drink at Texas Roadhouse for say $20 and I find it to be pretty good (no tablecloth there either). The main factor is this is additional from what you already paid for in the MDR. I will likely be another lost customer. Recently I have been noticing fewer and fewer people eating there and I attribute that to the higher prices. It wasn't long alone that they went to $30 from $25. If you want to fill the place with people you don't price it to the point where it is just not worth it especially when you downsize the menu. Kind of sad, I really enjoyed the original Chops experience when they first opened it for a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sometimes I just don't understand RCCL changes like this. Has anyone else noticed the Filets are also smaller for that extra money.

The Filet shown in my photo in Post 66 was a 10 oz filet - a lot of steak when you consider all the other food in the meal.

I didn't feel anything less than getting more than my money's worth for that meal. The quality of the food was excellent as well.

The Filet shown in my photo in Post 66 was a 10 oz filet - a lot of steak when you consider all the other food in the meal.

I didn't feel anything less than getting more than my money's worth for that meal. The quality of the food was excellent as well.

The 10 oz. filet is no longer offered, nor is the crab cake.