New Chops Menu going fleet wide

Sometimes I just don't understand RCCL changes like this. Has anyone else noticed the Filets are also smaller for that extra money. Halibut replaced with Snapper, please. It appears that some of the things I enjoyed are gone and to be honest even at $30 on the old menu I thought prices were getting out of hand. Seriously I can get a filet and a drink at Texas Roadhouse for say $20 and I find it to be pretty good (no tablecloth there either). The main factor is this is additional from what you already paid for in the MDR. I will likely be another lost customer. Recently I have been noticing fewer and fewer people eating there and I attribute that to the higher prices. It wasn't long alone that they went to $30 from $25. If you want to fill the place with people you don't price it to the point where it is just not worth it especially when you downsize the menu. Kind of sad, I really enjoyed the original Chops experience when they first opened it for a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Note to RCI - The quote "if you build it they will come" does not always apply.

Note to RCI - The quote "if you build it they will come" does not always apply.

It is more like "if you burn half of it to the ground and then charge more for it they'll come"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One of the biggest issues is that they've taken many of the previously included cuts of steak and added an upcharge to them.
Well, I doubt they were previously including prime dry-aged steaks in the cover charge. It sort of makes sense that these would be extra - prime dry aged steak in a real steak house typically costs $50-60 just for the steak.

But I do think it's pretty horrendous you can't get a regular (e.g., choice, maybe wet-aged) porterhouse or ribeye. You really need all for to call yourself a steakhouse. Maybe three. And a veal chop (not parm).

. . Seriously I can get a filet and a drink at Texas Roadhouse for say $20 and I find it to be pretty good (no tablecloth there either).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes, best deal going today - and the first one I went to was in Delaware :)

Now there's one about two miles away:D

Yes, best deal going today - and the first one I went to was in Delaware :)

Now there's one about two miles away:D

Texas Roadhouse is good for the money! I like being able to pick out my own steak! :cool:

Does anyone know if they have changed the desserts on the menu as well?

Desserts on the new menu in April were:

Chocolate Mud Pie

Liquid Center Chocolate Banana Cake

Huckleberry Cheesecake

Warm Cookie Plate

Red Velvet Cake

Assorted Ice Cream and Sorbets

It actually looks like the NEW MENU that was MENTIONED on a previous post was thrown / created by RCCL CPA Miami Accountants and forgot the Diners?

If it was on the Main street it would go Broke and close their doors?

I agree that the original Chops Menu was VERY pleasant and worth a SPECIAL night out.

Edited by campingman

Texas Roadhouse is good for the money! I like being able to pick out my own steak! :cool:

We LOVE Texas Roadhouse. I have yet to have a bad steak there. (They could improve their ribs). The price is great! Anyway the one by us is owned by Willie Nelson so that makes it a little more special.

It actually looks like the NEW MENU that was MENTIONED on a previous post was thrown / created by RCCL CPA Miami Accountants and forgot the Diners?

If it was on the Main street it would go Broke and close their doors?

I agree that the original Chops Menu was VERY pleasant and worth a SPECIAL night out.

I watched that video, heard buzz words like "icon restaurant", "traditional steak house", "Chicago style steak house". Two steaks offered at Chops (except the ones with the additional up charge and the burger), no rack of lamb. I know we're on the high seas, and dining choices are limited by that, but Ruth's Chris offers four kinds of steak plus lamb, Morton's four kinds of steak plus lamb and pork.

Y'all really upset about no lamb??? Have never in my life thought of "lamb" when thinking about a steakhouse. I agree they should bring the ribeye back at no up charge but otherwise we like the new "non-steak" choices as Mr Ski (well his stomach) isn't too fond of steak. So glad to see new dessert option though. Really was not fond of the old desserts.

Desserts on the new menu in April were:

Chocolate Mud Pie

Liquid Center Chocolate Banana Cake

Huckleberry Cheesecake

Warm Cookie Plate

Red Velvet Cake

Assorted Ice Cream and Sorbets

Thank you Cindy! So they have made changes to the desserts as well. I'm glad to see a cheesecake listed but my creme brûlée is gone. Oh well.....we will see in October if Chops is worth the $35 or not on the Allure.

Y'all really upset about no lamb??? Have never in my life thought of "lamb" when thinking about a steakhouse. I agree they should bring the ribeye back at no up charge but otherwise we like the new "non-steak" choices as Mr Ski (well his stomach) isn't too fond of steak. So glad to see new dessert option though. Really was not fond of the old desserts.

I'm not upset about anything, I can vote with my feet.

It's not the lack of one particular menu item, it's just the direction of this new menu.

I looked at the HAL Pinnacle menu, four types of steak, plus pork and lamb, $29 pp ($26 pp when you buy two up front). Cagney's on NCL has three steak offerings plus lamb and bison, couldn't find the up charge. Carnival three steaks plus lamb, lobster tail, and surf and turf, $35/pp.

I watched that video, heard buzz words like "icon restaurant", "traditional steak house", "Chicago style steak house". Two steaks offered at Chops (except the ones with the additional up charge and the burger), no rack of lamb. I know we're on the high seas, and dining choices are limited by that, but Ruth's Chris offers four kinds of steak plus lamb, Morton's four kinds of steak plus lamb and pork.

But, rc and mort don't offer cruises.:rolleyes:

I don't care that it is a steakhouse, my wife really like that lamb and that is what she always orders and from what I have tasted of hers, it was pretty good! I just wish they would add the seafood skewer from Portifino on the ships that no longer have a Portifino!

Edited by bigque

I'm actually somewhat excited about the new menu. I don't eat steak and the only chicken dish they had before was wrapped in prosciutto (also something I don't eat). I always wondered why there was no decent cheesecake on RCCL so I am excited to try that, the goat cheese salad and the new chicken dish. My husband is perfectly happy with filet and a baked potato, so the new menu is a welcomed change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No big deal.

Still will be eating at Chops again this coming week...trying new things is what life's all about...

I would agree with that...to me that's not what this thread is about. I think the discussion is focused on individual menu items, but really what people are trying to decide is whether or not the ambience and menu in Chops is worth the current upcharge of $35.00. For me, in April, the answer to that question was no, and it was based as much on the atmosphere as the menu. Your mileage may vary.

I'm actually somewhat excited about the new menu. I don't eat steak and the only chicken dish they had before was wrapped in prosciutto (also something I don't eat). I always wondered why there was no decent cheesecake on RCCL so I am excited to try that, the goat cheese salad and the new chicken dish. My husband is perfectly happy with filet and a baked potato, so the new menu is a welcomed change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Your husband and I will both be happy campers! It is my wife that will be disappointed not being able to get that rack of lamb that she loves because for me it is always going to be that filet and baked potato! :cool:

I totally agree with everything you just said. It really is sad that Carnival, which is known for the "wal mart" of the cruse industry :rolleyes: serves a USDA Prime cut of beef for 35.00 while RCI charges you 35.00 PLUS makes you pay for a better cut of beef.

35.00 for a sirloin????? REALLY??????????

Carnival is no more "Walmart" than most other mass market cruise lines. Been on both, mostly RCCL, and Carnival can be a very good value.

We usually eat more than once at Chops on cruises since my husband is a steak and potato guy. On the IOS in February, we ate 3 times since they gave us 20% off each time. I don't think we will visit Chops again -- The porterhouse steak, according to my husband, is pretty good -- but not good enough to pay over $50 dollars when we are used to paying $30.00 for the same thing. WE can stay in the MDR and pay for a steak for him and save some money or better yet go to Giovannis!

These are delectables from Chops that I photographed on the Enchantment last year. Red Velvet Cake and Mississippi Mud Pie/Cake slices were huge; I'm told that they are significantly smaller on the new menu.

070_zps91360dad.jpg

071_zpsc8739936.jpg